Disclaimer: Draco, Ginny and all other HP characters within belong solely to JKR. I accept full responsibility for the little monster.

And Baby Makes Three - Kind des Drachen

He had been told this would be the happiest day of his life.

Somehow Draco doubted that as he watched Ginny grit her teeth and groan in pain again. He felt guilty, really he did. It was all his fault, really. He did this to her. He was responsible for putting the one person he loved the most in this horrible position. Happy day indeed, obviously his mother-in-law had no clue what she was talking about.

He’d been watching this progress for hours now and he really didn’t think he could stand it much longer.

“It won’t be too much longer now,” said the pretty, dark haired mid-witch, Stephanie. She gave him a warm smile. “The first time is always the scariest.”

He was just thankful they were at home instead of St. Mungo’s. He spared no expense to make sure that Ginny had any and everything she could possibly need including her own personal mid-witch and the family medi-wizard in attendance. He just wanted her to be comfortable and happy.

Sometimes there were advantages to being a Malfoy.

Molly patted his shoulder. “Everything will be alright,” she offered reassuringly.

He just continued to hold his wife’s hand as it was all he could think to do at this point. He was determined to this see thing through; he got her into this mess so he figured he ought to be there for the outcome.

“Doing okay, beautiful,” he asked. “Anything I can do for you?”

Ginny gave him a weak smile. “I don’t feel so beautiful right now.” She snickered softly. “And other than getting the baby out of me right now, no.”

He brushed the loose tendrils of hair from her face before pressing a light kiss to her forehead. “You look amazing to me.”

Before she could reply, the worst contraction yet gripped her. He watched as she once again gritted her teeth and breathed through it. He could tell the pain dampening charms were starting to wear off, but it was too late to cast new ones. All he could do was watch helplessly while holding her hand and offering words of encouragement.

Stephanie started gathering the items she would need after checking Ginny once again. “I think it’s time to get ready. Here are some pillows, Draco. Why don’t we get her sitting up with you supporting her back just like we practiced.” She left the room to retrieve the medi-wizard.

He did as he was instructed, making sure that Ginny was as comfortable as the situation permitted. He couldn’t believe how calm she seemed. He was a nervous wreck, but he was trying his hardest to cover up that fact. He wanted to be strong for her because she needed it. He kissed her neck gently before whispering “I love you” in her ear.

The next few minutes following the arrival of the medi-wizard were a blur as Draco watched the proceedings with a mixture of fascination, horror and disgust. It was in those few moments that he finally realized why he was only child. Giving birth was a brutal, bloody act. He swore right then and there they were never having another child.

This was it.

“Almost there, Ginny,” the medi-wizard coaxed, the sound of his voice bringing Draco back from his thoughts. “Just once more and you’ll have yourself a baby.”

“C’mon beautiful, you can do this,” he offered as she struggled to find the strength for one last push.

He held his breath as Ginny gave one last grunt and the baby slipped out easily.

“It’s a boy,” Stephanie squealed in delight as the medi-wizard showed off the newborn to his parents and grandparents before laying him on Ginny’s stomach, wiping his face and mouth clean in the process. “Here’s your wand, Draco, you can sever the cord.”

He did as he was instructed; casting the severing spell quickly just before the baby started wailing.

“Oh, he’s so beautiful,” Ginny whispered, rubbing the baby’s head with a shaky hand. “I love him.”

“I knew it! I could just tell by how you carried him,” Molly said proudly as she watched the new parents stare in awe at their son.

They’d known the baby would be a boy since Ginny was six months along, but Draco also knew that she had secretly hoped that the medi-wizard was wrong. He had been proud that they were having a boy, it meant a new heir, a fresh start for the Malfoy family, and in the right direction this time. They made a pact not to tell anyone else the sex just so they could watch her family row over it. He understood the pot was up to nearly up to three hundred galleons.

Arthur watched the proceedings from the doorway, a proud grin lit up his face. “Good lungs too.”

Draco fought desperately against the tears that threatened to spill down his cheeks as he looked at the small baby laying there making sure everyone in the room knew that he was thoroughly unhappy. He hesitantly reached toward his son, not really sure if he should touch him or not. The moment the baby latched onto a finger of his outstretched hand he knew that he was hopelessly in love with his child. He understood then why there were so many Weasleys.

“Does he have a name yet,” Stephanie asked as she gathered him up in a blanket so she could clean him up properly.

Ginny nodded wearily as she leant back against her husband. “Yes, William Draco.”

They had been debating names for weeks on end now. The first name was decided upon quickly with no fuss, but the middle name was a bone of contention. Draco had started to protest just then because they had never discussed using his name, but thought better of it. There was no way he could deny her this or anything else for that matter.

Molly gave them a teary smile. “A fine name, indeed.”

“Liam,” Draco started, his voice cracking with emotion. He cleared his throat. “We thought we’d call him Liam.”

“Hello there little Liam,” the mid-witch cooed to the baby as she went about examining him. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Well, done princess,” Arthur said softly before he kissed the top of Ginny’s head. He’d finally come into the room to inspect his latest grandchild. “He’s beautiful.” He placed his hand on Draco’s shoulder. “Son, why don’t we go downstairs and see about some dinner and maybe a drink while the women finish up here. It’s been a long day and you haven’t eaten.”

He kissed his wife’s cheek. “I’m going to go with your father if that’s okay.”

Ginny smiled and nodded. “Go, see you in bit. I love you.”

“Okay,” he answered before kissing her forehead. “In a bit. Love you, too.”

He followed his father-in-law downstairs for a good stiff drink and a bit of dinner. He made a few floo calls and wrote a couple owls before Arthur allowed him to return to his family. He found Ginny looking tired, yet radiant ensconced in their bed wearing her favorite flannel nightgown and her hair in a single long plait. Liam was nestled in her arms, sleeping soundly.

“Hullo, beautiful.”

“Hullo, yourself,” she smiled.

Draco carefully settled on the bed so he could examine his son more closely. “He’s so little, so fragile looking.”

Ginny laughed softly. “Well, he is brand new.”

“I’m afraid I’m going to break him if I touch him.”

“You won’t, I promise.” She offered the tightly bundled baby to him. “Here, give it a try.”

He gingerly cradled Liam in the crook of his arm, taking the time to study his tiny little features. His little puckered mouth; his tiny, slightly up turned nose; the fan of his eyelashes against his cheeks. He didn’t think he had ever seen anything as beautiful as his sleeping son.

“See, no breaking,” Ginny said as she fiddled with the soft little blue blanket, making sure all the ends were tucked up. She stifled a might yawn.

He smiled at his wife, finally feeling that everything was right in the world. “Why don’t you get some rest, Gin? You’ve had a long day.”

“Are you sure?” She looked hopefully at him.

“Yeah, I think I can handle this.” He gave her a lingering kiss. “You get some rest. I’ll take care of the baby.”

She settled down in the bed, situating all the pillows just right before almost immediately dropping off in an exhausted slumber.

Draco waited until she’d gotten comfortable before extinguishing all the candles, leaving only the shadowy light from the fireplace. He settled in the rocking chair by the bed after running the cat out of it to spend the next few hours quietly bonding with Liam.

Molly was right – this was the happiest day of his life.
Leave a Review