It takes more time than I've ever had
drains the life from me
makes me want to forget
as young as I was, I felt older back then.


Draco sat at his desk alone. Everyone had gone down to the Halloween festivities, but he just didn't feel like mingling around all of the cheerful people. He would make himself move soon, or Ginny would come searching for him.

Ginny...his weakness. Being with her made him grow up, see his errors. He had been spoiled, selfish and sheltered from what had been going around him. Now, that was all gone, and he saw the reality, the death, the insanity forming around them all. How he longed to forget what he had realized, but that would mean forgetting all of the good things that learned.

He was no longer alone.

He had people that cared for him, looked after him, even loved him. Even though he had all of that, it made him feel weary to the bones, because he now knew what was ahead of them.

More disciplined, stronger and certain
but I was scared to death of eternity
I was saved by grace
but destroyed by naivety.


His naivety had clouded him, and had almost been his undoing. In truth, he was scared of what was out there in the big-bad world, and was grateful for his parents for sheltering him for so long from the wars occurring.

But no more. Now, it was for the best that he knew his own mind, knew his own path. He had been saved by a red-haired angel. An angel of mercy and grace, who stood for everything that was stable and right in his life. So he would fight. And he would win, no matter the cost.

Draco glanced out the window and saw the first fleeting flakes of snow trying to survive outside the castle. The whole grounds would soon be coated, and everyone would be outside on their breaks throwing snowballs at each other and wrestling in the snow.

He smiled as he imagined Ginny and himself rolling in the white paradise, sheltered from everyone and everything around them. Dreams were something that kept him going, a fleeting sense of security that held him back from insanity.

And I lied to myself
and said it was for the best
so now faith is replaced with a logic so cold
I've disregarded what I was.


He was no longer even close to the person he once was. He had lied to himself for so long that everyone was his enemy, and all he could rely on was himself. To the eyes of many, life would have seemed colder now that he now knew what real life was. Indeed, it was bittersweet, but it was better to have a spirit that was truly alive, than slowly withering away and dying. It was for the best, and he would never dispute that fact.

Draco got up and turned to leave the room, grabbing a necklace out of a box and putting it around his neck, hiding it under his robes and clothing. He also pulled a small gold ring with a single moonstone out, and slipped into his pocket. It was time.

Now that I'm older
and I know much more than I did back then
but the more I learn
the more I can't understand
and I've become content with this life that I lead.


Everything was falling into place. As Draco meandered down the long halls leading to the Great Hall, he ran the ring along his fingers, reveling in its calming capacity. It was for Ginny, because he had this pithy little hope that it would allow her to always keep a piece of him with her.

His heart quickened as he reached the doors. It was always like this with her. The thought of her never ceased to make him fall for her all over again. So much had changed...he was barely even the person he was before. When he was with her at least.

He didn't see her right away when he entered, so he glanced over the room with a sneer, seeking out the sight of her bright hair and her sparkling smile. Catching a glance of her twirling around the floor in the arms of another boy made his heart stop, and catch again when she saw him and broke away, smiling and started towards him.

Where I drink to much and don't believe in much of anything
and I lie to myself
and say "it's for the best."
we're moving forward, but holding ourselves back
and we're waiting on something that will never come.


He caught her in his arms and led her outside into the shade of the castle. Placing one hand on her cheek, he pulled the ring out and placed it on her right hand. A promise, to be there no matter what happened, no matter what the future held for them. Waiting for the final battle to find them, to tear them apart. But at least for now, they had forever.
The End.
SerasKit is the author of 0 other stories.

Leave a Review