Telling Draco




Disclaimer: I own nothing but the computer this was written on. All characters are owned by JKR, except for the one’s that will be mentioned in A/N at the end of the chapter, please read it over so I can give proper credit where it is due. I’m so broke I make the church mouse look like a millionaire, so please don’t waste your time or your lawyers.


Ginny groaned when the sun shining in through the windows landed on her face. Rolling to her side, she grabbed Draco’s pillow and covered her head, trying to fall back asleep. Breathing deeply, she caught Draco’s scent and hugged the pillow closer.

Still only half-awake, she reached over for him but found empty space and she sat up quickly looking for him. Then she remembered he was still in Egypt with Blaise and Anton. Gods, she hated when he was away on business. Flopping back down she gathered his pillow and hugged it tight wishing it was him.

She peeked out over the pillow at the clock on Draco’s bedside table. It was half past ten and she still felt like she hadn’t slept at all. Granted she hadn’t got home from St. Mungo’s until after two this morning. In truth, she had felt exhausted and drained all week.

She had got used to her easy hours in the trauma ward. After the war, she hadn’t needed to work but still wanted to. While Draco had embraced many of the changes overtaking the wizarding world, his wife working crazy shifts and weekends was not one of them. So they had agreed to compromise.

She would continue to work as a healer on weekdays, but no nights, and no weekends. It was a hard sell to her supervisors, but in the end, they agreed when she told them that it was that or she would resign. She had simply told them that after living through the war, her marriage was much more important than her job and if she had to choose then they would lose hands down.

On Wednesday, Maria, one of her co-workers, had got an owl that her father had fallen ill and she was needed back at the family's home in Spain. With Draco out of town this week, Ginny had offered to help cover some of her hours by staying until nine in the evenings.

Friday nights were always busy, but add to that a Quidditch match between the Chudley Cannons and the Falmouth Falcons...That particular match always promised to be a dirty and bloody fight. Last night was no exception and the players had begun arriving before the end of the match. To make matters worse, a huge fight had erupted in the stands between the fans, and curses and hexes had flown everywhere.

Ginny had been furious when several children had been brought in that had got caught in the crossfire. One little boy had been injured quite seriously when he had been struck by a miss-fired curse and had hit his head when he was thrown backwards.

Ginny had patched him up but he had remained unconscious for several hours. They had not even known who the little boy was and Ginny had sat with him before a frantic witch finally showed up about midnight when she had heard about the fight at the match and her husband and son had not returned home.

It had taken some time to calm the woman down but by the time she had, the little boy had begun to come around. A short time later, when a medi-witch was leading an injured wizard into the room, the man was looking for his son and the family was reunited.

By the time Ginny left the young family, the wizard was hugging his son in relief and his wife was alternating between fussing over them and yelling at her husband for the whole fiasco, swearing he had scared ten years off her life.

When Ginny finally got home she was exhausted and in tears. As she had sat with the boy stroking his hair and whispering to him she had felt such a yearning in heart for a baby with white blonde hair and gray eyes it nearly broke her heart.

Exhaustion was a problem that she had been dealing with all week. She normally ran everyday before work, but this entire week she had slept in until the last possible minute. At first, she had blamed it on not sleeping well because Draco was gone. She always did have trouble sleeping when he was away. But as the week wore on she felt the exhaustion down to her very soul.

Drifting in and out of sleep, Ginny thought about the little boy from last night. She had not been able to leave him, the pull on her heartstrings being too strong. She thought back to the month before and the events leading up to their anniversary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco and Ginny had just celebrated their fourth wedding anniversary the month before and she had expected that they would have started their own family by now. They had spent most of their first year of marriage separated because of the war. A couple of months after their first anniversary, the war had ended and they had just wanted to spend as much of their time together as possible.

Draco, with the help of his closest friends Blaise Zabini and Anton McGregor, had gone to work cleaning up all of the businesses in Malfoy International. He would not allow the corruption that his father had caused continue to taint the Malfoy name. Making Blaise and Anton full partners, the three men worked relentlessly to ferret out any illegal or shady dealings.

Draco was a smart businessman, and had said there was plenty of money to be made honestly. One of those ideas was a partnership he had formed with her brothers, Fred and George. The twins had taken an interest in Muggle technology and how it could be enhanced and applied to the wizarding world. While Draco had been raised very old school and held with many traditions, he was never one to let an opportunity pass him by and with Blaise and Anton in full agreement, the five men had taken the wizarding world by storm.

So the second and third years of their marriage had been very busy. They had discussed starting a family, as it was something that they both wanted very much. If you asked Draco, he would tell you he loved being an only child but only Ginny knew how lonely he had been and how he had wished for a brother or sister. He had found the nearest thing in Blaise and Anton, but he didn’t want his own child to grow up alone. That was fine with Ginny, she wasn’t eager to out-do her parents, but she wanted several little Malfoys running around the house.

As it had got closer to their fourth anniversary, Ginny had begun to wonder why she hadn’t got pregnant yet. I mean, she was a Weasley after all. Most of her brothers had one or more children and both Molly and Narcissa had started to drop less than subtle hints about Draco and Ginny providing them with a grandchild.

She had got depressed by the whole situation and finally, the night before their anniversary, she had broken down. Draco had come home from work to find her in bed crying her heart out. He had no idea what she was so upset about. Climbing into bed he had gathered her up in his arms gently calmed her down. When she had stopped crying she had asked him ‘what was wrong with her’, why had she hadn't got pregnant yet?

They had spent the entire evening in bed talking about having children and nosy mothers. As Draco held her he told her that he was ready to bring the next Malfoy heir into the world in due time. Then he had put his finger under her chin so he could look her in the eye and told her that she was what was most important to him and that they had to let nature take it course. Lightly running his hand up and down her back, he told her ‘the more she worried about it, the longer it would take for it to happen’.

The morning of their anniversary they shared breakfast in bed and he told her that they were going to do all the things they had never got to do before they got married. He had planned the entire day to make up for all dates they had never got to go on and all the things they had missed out on because of the war.

He Apparated them to London where they started with a trip to Diagon Alley, holding hands and doing a little fun shopping. Then they had gone into Muggle London and had a picnic in the park. After that, they had gone horseback riding, to a concert in the park, and finally they had gone home to change for dinner. They had a romantic dinner for two in a little Italian restaurant and danced for hours afterwards. When they'd finally got home, they'd exchanged gifts in front of the fire and made love until morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Ginny woke again, the clock read noon and she got out of bed to shower and get dressed. In the bathroom, she looked in the mirror and scowled at the shadows under her eyes.

'Great, Draco will be home tonight and I look like the living dead,' she thought.

Reaching into the shower to turn it on and adjust the temperature, a wave of nausea and dizziness caused her to drop to the floor. She lifted the lid of the toilet and vomited. After the dizziness and nausea had passed, she flushed the toilet, moving to the sink to brush her teeth. Climbing in the shower and adjusting the water until it was a little cooler, Ginny allowed the water to run over her.

By the time she had showered and dressed, she was feeling better. Puzzled by what had happened but deciding not to dwell on it, she decided to ‘pop’ into St. Mungo’s and see how her little guy from last night was doing.


When she got to the hospital, she went to the trauma ward to see where the man and his son were. One of the medi-witches on duty told her which ward they had been moved to upstairs.

Knocking on the door to the ward, she poked her head in to see if she could come in. The mother from the night before grabbed her hand and pulled her in.

“I’m so sorry that I didn’t get the chance to thank you last night. By the way I’m Katherine Wright and this is my husband David and our son Josh.”

Smiling at the woman, “I’m Ginny Malfoy, it’s nice to meet you,” looking at Josh she held out her hand, “Hi Josh, how are you feeling today?”

The little boy smiled and took her hand, “A lot better! They gave me ice cream and fixed me right up.”

Ginny laughed and whispered to Josh, “I think that ice cream is the best medicine, don’t you?”

Josh nodded in agreement, “Yea, and they gave dad some and he feels a lot better too.”

Ginny sat and talked with them for a few more minutes and then excused herself. She went back downstairs to the trauma ward just to see what was going on and see if Susan was free.

Ginny and Susan had been in different years and different houses at Hogwarts, but since working together during the war and after, they had become friends as well as co-workers.

Poking her head in Susan’s office, she saw her sitting at her desk.

“Would you like a break from paperwork?” Ginny asked, grinning.

Susan looked up and smiled, “Any excuse to put that off for awhile. You had one hell of a night here last night didn’t you? I’m still writing reports.”

“Yea, it got crazy with that fight at the Quidditch match. I just looked in on a little boy I treated who got caught in the crossfire. So how’s it been today,” she asked.

“Quiet, just the way I like it,” Susan put the report she had been working on in her out basket, “Let’s go to the tea room I could use some.”

As Ginny went to stand up a wave of dizziness wash over her, and she grabbed the edge of the desk to keep from falling. Susan ran around the desk and grabbed her arm, helping her back into the chair. Ginny put her head down until the dizziness passed.

“Ginny, are you alright?” Susan asked while running a hand over her back.

“I’m alright now. I’m not sure what happened there,” she said, closing her eyes and leaning her head back.

“Let’s take you to the examination room and just make sure everything is alright,” Susan suggested.

“No, I’m fine, just stood up too fast or something. I’m fine now, and besides, Draco’s coming home tonight and I need to go get ready,” she protested.

“Sorry kiddo, but I’m pulling rank. Let’s go,” Susan grabbed her hand and led her down the hall to the examination room.

Giving her a hand up to the exam table and helping Ginny lay down, she started asking questions while running her wand over her and muttering diagnostic spells.

A few minutes later, “I can’t find anything wrong with you, Ginny. Everything checks out,” Susan told her while making notes on her chart.

“Any other symptoms besides dizziness?”

Ginny shook her head, “Not other than being more tired than normal, but I always have trouble sleeping when Draco’s gone, plus working extra hours to cover Maria’s shift.”

Thinking back to earlier in the bathroom Ginny told her, “Well, I did get dizzy and threw up when I got up to take my shower, but I felt fine afterwards. I didn’t eat last night and the bathroom was so warm.”

Susan gave her a thoughtful look and asked, “When was your last period, Ginny?”

Ginny looked up sharply at Susan, “There’s no way Susan. I just had my period…well, I’m not sure exactly when, but I know that I haven’t missed one.”

Susan just raised her eyebrow.

“No, no, there’s no way. I would know if I’d missed a period. You don’t think…No, we’ve…Oh, I don’t even want to hope,” she whispered, looking at Susan.

“Well, there is one way to find out,” Susan raised her wand and whispered a spell under her breath.

Ginny closed her eyes, not wanting to be disappointed.

“Ginny, look,” whispered Susan.

Opening her eyes slowly, Ginny looked at the blue orb above her stomach about the size of a marble, “Oh, my…oh…oh Susan,” looking up at her friend, a smile started on her face.

Susan released the spell, “Congratulations, Ginny! You're going to have a baby."


A/N: I hope you enjoyed it. I must give credit to dracademented for allowing me to borrow her OC’s from her fic ‘Unexpected’. Anton McGregor is all hers, lucky for me she shares *grin*, Thank you darling!! Also, you are the best comma-tator the comma-ically challenged could ask for!!!
Leave a Review