Part Three

I cannot help it
I couldn't stop it if I tried
The same old heartbeat fills
The emptiness I have inside
And I've heard that you can't fight love
So I won't complain
Why would I stop the fire
That keeps me going on?
-- Michelle Branch, "I'd Rather Be In Love"


Ever since the war and the dispersion of her family, Ginny had had a hole in her heart. Millicent filled part of it, but canine love is not as satisfying as what she yearned for-human love.

Everyone noticed Ginny's new bloom, though few said anything. Her absentmindedness was a indicative sign as well. Neat, organised Ginevra Weasley became dreamy-eyed at the mere sight of blonde hair or grey eyes. Had they known who her partner was, they would have been able to detect the same telltale signs in him as well, though he hid them rather better than she did.

No one would have ever imagined that the icy Draco Malfoy and the fiery Ginevra Weasley would get along as well as they did. Well, no one except Dumbledore, and a certain Brian Jameson.

They did get around to talking about that night, eventually. Ginny let slip something accidentally, and Draco was forced to finally tell her the whole story-how he had seen Harry kill Voldemort, and tried to prevent Lucius Malfoy from killing him, but had been too late. He had staggered back to his hiding place, heart heavy at the thought of his patricidal fantasies finally coming to fruition. Red hair had caught his eye, and he had been able to drag her to his hiding place, healing some of her wounds and keeping her out of sight until it was safe to get her medical attention.

Draco had stayed by her side until Dumbledore had assured him that she would be all right and informed him that he had best leave, as her brothers were coming to see her and had no idea about his true allegiance. Thoughts full of turbulence and confusion, he had taken one last glance and apparated to his squib aunt's house in New York, eager to escape memories of the war and his life with his father.

He had forgotten all about the littlest Weasley until that fateful day when Brian had decided to try his hand in matchmaking. For that little stunt, Brian had earned himself the honour of being little Molly Bellatrix Malfoy's godfather and perpetual baby-sitter.
When Draco Junior and Luke Alexander joined the ranks, however, he gave up his job and retired. After all, what better way to spend your time than with small children that adore you?

La Fine (yes, that's correct. It's Italian, not French)
The End.
Marian is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Night You Saved My Life also liked 1172 other stories.
Leave a Review