Maybe


She was so angry, actually infuriated was more like it. Just moments ago, she had been in his arms in the Astronomy Tower and then she had to open her mouth. She couldn’t help it and just had to ask him that one question she knew she should not. His expression was more than she could bear so, without thinking, she slapped his face and bolted out the door and didn’t stop running until she was outside in the darkness.

The red-head looked up into the sky. The stars seemed so cold and their twinkling made her feel as though they were laughing at her misfortune. Just then, a cool breeze brushed against her cheek and a mournful howl echoed throughout the courtyard of the castle. The girl stopped then and noticed dark storm clouds rolling in, shutting out the light from the moon and the laughing stars. She knew a storm was fast approaching and that soon the rain would begin to fall and soak her to the skin.

Despite it all, she continued to stand there and suddenly found her eyes moving to look up towards the Astronomy Tower. There, in the window, she could see it plainly. For there he was, his face in his hands and his whole body trembling. Could it be that he was crying? She wasn’t sure, it seemed so out of character, but then again, her eyes could not be mistaken. Yes, he was crying. Immediately, she ran towards a nearby tree where she could conceal herself, yet still see him.

His platinum blond hair was a shocking contrast to the surrounding grays and blacks and browns. He looked so beautiful and suddenly thoughts of how wretchedly she’s acted without letting him explain filled her mind. Her stomach dropped and her heart began to ache. ‘Oh Draco… Did I do that to him???’ she thought.

***

“What’re we going to do after you graduate this summer? Do we have a future… together?” her words, though hesitant, seemed to drip off her tongue and into his ears. These were the dreaded words he did not wish to hear, but knew must be answered sooner or later. Life was complicated for him, yet more than anything, he just wanted a simple life that he could share with someone who accepted him for who he was. He knew that these feelings would win over any other for the girl in his arms was his soul mate.

She stepped back as soon as she spoke and then without warning, slapped him hard. He grabbed his cheek and tried to grasp her arm before she bolted out the door. He didn’t understand it. He was about to tell her he loved her and that he’d find a way to make things work despite any obstacles either his or her family placed in her way. So, why did she slap him? Could it be that she did not love him as he loved her?

He walked over to the window and looked out onto the horizon. The sky was black and the stars were shining brightly. Normally, he enjoyed gazing at the stars, but now they seemed to be mocking him as if they knew his misfortune and took pleasure in it. He buried his face in his hands and slowly a tear escaped his left eye and then his right. Before he knew it, salty tears were flowing freely down his cheeks and his body was shaking with sobs.

“Ginny… I love you…” he whispered, hoping she could somehow hear him.
The End.
Indigo Child is the author of 11 other stories.

Leave a Review