He held her. He held her all night until her tears had run dry. He held her until the morning birds whistled into the breeze, until the first rays of sunlight peered through the cracks. He held her tight, never wavering in his embrace. He silently shed his own tears for her predicament, and his own. Their own. He held her knowing that her warm body pressed against his would bring him undying comfort. He held her to bring her undying comfort. He held her, hoping that a new dawn would bring hope and drive the despair, by whatever means, out of their lives.

Killing despair is not an easy task.

When they first met each other, they were enemies by association. Her brother, elder and stronger, hated him with a passion kindled by rage. This hate that her brother harbored for him didn't seem to bother him in the least. He was young and arrogant, and was, by no means, out to change his image. He enjoyed living up to the expectations his friends, and more importantly his enemies, set for him. He would not waver in his support for his family's ideals and would strive to uphold their honor. She, on the other hand, was a small, quiet individual who strove to match her brothers' successes. She lived in constant shadow, and always sought trusted counsel.

They grew together, yet far apart. He grew into a sharp young man with an aptitude for all things evil, though he never once had a true intention to do such things. He thrived on other people's misery, all the while hiding his own. She blossomed into a pretty young lady with a thirst for knowledge. She had the propensity to get into all kinds of trouble, but had enough spark and wit to edge her way out. All the while, they shared a mutual hate, set down by her elder brother and his companions. To him, she was just one more pest to nag amidst the sea of pests he dealt with everyday. To her, he was a rotten ferret whom she would have nothing to do with.

Nothing ever changes until the moment is exactly right. All things align to create that certain glitch in time in which the paths of lives are altered forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She stumbled through the darkness of the night, clutching her robes tightly about her. She had no intention of going back, no inclination to return. She had made up her mind. She was through being dictated to by others; her life was her own and only her own. She was leaving in the small hope that someone, anyone, would realize her absence.
He walked through the forest, unsure as to where he was going or what he was doing there. It seemed that his ability to hold his façade was fading, and his true despair was showing through. He couldn’t let anyone see him exposed; he needed to flee as far as possible to regain his strength. Life just didn’t seem worth the trouble it was causing him.

She kept walking, each minute becoming more terrifying than the last. She was alone. And then it came.

His reverie was broken by a blood-curdling scream and desperate cries for help. His senses jumped into action as he ran towards the commotion, feeling that any time wasted could make a difference.

She was on fire. She could see nothing but red and feel nothing but pain. She heard her own screams in a distant land, and knew she was fated to die. And then it was gone.

As he reached her crumpled figure, he thought for a moment that he was too late. She was covered in blood, yet still twitching from the pain. Her attacker, whatever it might have been, had fled, leaving her to die. There was something within him that told him he needed to save this girl. And so he did.

There is no need for details. All that needs to be understood is that he rescued her from the forest without the pretense of hate. He knew exactly whom she was and yet was still determined to pry her from the clutches of death.



Life wasn’t the same for the two after the incident. Although they maintained a safe distance from each other, they felt a bond that they could not ignore. Each was consumed with thoughts of the other. A strange thing was happening to them; they seemed to be able to know exactly where the other was at any time they wished to know so.

And so they met, again by chance, in a secluded place that holds no importance in the scheme of things. It was there that all initial pretenses were dropped and they gave into the thoughts that had been haunting them. Electricity flew at the first brush of their hands. This, this is what they had been searching for. A reason to live, and yes, someone to love.

A wise playwright once said “’Tis but thy name that is my enemy”. And so it was. Once the initial truth leaked forth, they were shunned. His family was furious, and let everyone know that he had disgraced the family name and honor. Her family was also furious, and informed her that she had to break it off at once. However much their respective families loved their children, it was no match for the hate they harbored for each other. So they fled. They fled with only their few possessions and each other. They married at once, determined to seal their love and bind themselves together. And so they are found, in a small yet comfortable cabin on the outskirts of life. Enemies of society but warriors for love.

And he held her.
To Be Continued.
Firebug is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Eclipse also liked 94 other stories.
Leave a Review