Chapter Five
“Drink this,” said Severus tossing Draco a bottle of blue liquid from the doorway.
Draco’s hands fumbled, but he caught the vial. He opened the lid and drank the liquid in one quick gulp. The antidote burned his throat, and he could not help coughing. After the burning passed, Draco immediately felt better. Nausea no longer plagued him and the room finally stopped spinning.
“Thanks, Uncle. Where have you been? It seems like you haven’t been by for ages, and the meetings…”
Severus tried to smile, but ended up sneering. “Your father told me what happened last night. You really need to be more careful.”
“Why haven’t you been around?” Draco persisted in understanding his Uncle’s absence. Many rumors had been circling the group of Death Eaters. The most obscene being that Severus Snape had betrayed Draco’s father, and that he now resided in the dungeons below the manor. Deep down, Draco almost wished it true. Then Severus could lead him out of this nightmare.
“I’ve been busy…spying,” he said oily.
“The Order? What did you find?” he asked, almost excited.
“Just the usual. They are rounding up all suspected and confirmed Death Eaters. Lucius is on the list,” he said seriously.
“My father?” Draco asked, his tone a forced concern. Many images quickly flashed through his memory; the many times Lucius used the Cruciatus curse on him, locking him in the dungeons. Draco’s nostrils flared.
“You can’t fool me, Draco. I know you do not care if he ends up back in Azkaban. At least there he cannot control your life.”
“Uncle, is it bad that I do not want to follow in his footsteps?”
“No, Draco. You have always been a very independent and distinguished character,” he said, his oily manner replaced with concern. Severus walked further into the room. He sat on the foot of Draco’s bed, looking into Draco’s eyes. More memories flooded through Draco: His father yelling, correcting, disciplining, Lucius telling Draco he must become a Death Eater. Draco felt nauseous again, and without excusing himself he ran to the bathroom. After waiting for heaves that never came, Draco splashed cold water on his face and neck. He looked into the mirror, studying himself. The collected Draco Malfoy reappeared as he went back into his room to speak with his uncle, but the other bathroom door opened.
“Oh, it’s you,” he sneered forgetting how mean he had been to Ginny the night before.
She glared at him. “Hurry up,” was all she said.
“You know this is MY bathroom. Be happy you’re not locked in the dungeons.”
“Draco,” Severus Snape’s voice came through the door as it cracked open. “Weasley?” he questioned shocked.
“Uncle Severus, don’t mind her. She has no memory and no manners,” he hissed.
Ginny’s shocked face held Severus’ attention. “I know you,” she said, reaching a hand toward him.
“Nonsense,” Severus said dryly, backing away from her and knocking away her hand..
Draco grabbed hold of her shoulders and pushed her back into her room. Severus heard her say, “I know him Draco. Tell me how I know him!” Draco slammed the door in her face.
“Girl’s a loon,” Draco said, cruelly. Severus focused on Draco’s thoughts and felt pity.
“Did…Did the potion not work?” Severus asked, still surprised.
“I’m fine, just needed to cool off a bit,” he said walking back into the room. Severus followed, regaining his dignified composure.
“About last night…” Severus had become hard and serious again.
“Uncle, I thought I had locked the door. How was I supposed to know the girl would venture through the manor? I thought that father and I had scared her enough she would stay put.”
Severus became strict. “Draco, I do not want anything bad to happen to you, so you must be careful. I have covered your mistakes before. I do not wish to do it again. You are already in jeopardy when Aurors come.”
Draco sat for a while then said, “I just wanted to make it all go away; the Dark Mark, my relationship with Father, my…bungled murder attempt, but I still wouldn’t be like him. I can deal with getting back at Potter, but I do not like the idea of killing innocent people. Father tried beating cruelty into me, but…” Draco trailed off. Severus heard him sigh with all the weight in the world.
“Draco, you and I both know Fire whiskey is not the way to make problems disappear.”
“I know. I took the mark, and now the Dark Lord is dead. I thought I would be free,” he said sullenly.
“Do what Lucius commands, and I promise, soon enough, you will be free.”
“Sure, Uncle,” Draco scoffed, but Severus still looked serious.
“Breakfast then. It will help your stomach,” Severus said, waiting for Draco to follow.
“Alohomora.” Draco cast the spell on his bathroom door. She did not hold a cell in the dungeon. That surprised Severus greatly. What was in store for the youngest Weasley?
To Be Continued.
skully is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Do You Suffer From Long Term Memory Loss? I Don't Remember. also liked 5 other stories.
Leave a Review