Angel of Music

By

Sannikex

Chapter Two

Auditions

A/N: Thanks to everyone who reviewed, I really appreciate it! Disclaimer: I do not own anything in this that belongs to JK Rowling or Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Phantom of the Opera”.

Draco was the only one in the common room, no one else were stupid enough to be awake four o’clock in the morning since the first classes started in five hours. He was slouching in one of the deep green armchairs, glaring at a piece of parchment on the message board. If someone would enter they’d probably wondered what harm the paper had caused him. It had destroyed his mental peace; it annoyed him to no end that some amateurs were about to set up a play meant for professionals. He couldn’t go himself of course; he was a Malfoy and a Slytherin (anything else would be unimaginable), he had a reputation to uphold. He could not learn some mudblood Hufflepuffs how to sing. The thought was ridiculous! But still...he knew he was good, at both acting and singing more sincere than smug. He had the possibility to show the worthless piece of idiots in this school that at least some of them could be perfect. The thought was alluring. With a scowl he memorized the time for the auditions that were neatly scribbled on the earlier mentioned parchment.

Ginny waited nervously outside the doors of the Great Hall. The auditions for the leading parts were individual and the next time someone’s name was called it would be her. She had learned that there were two male leads and one for a woman. The woman was called Christine Daáe and the second lead was Raoul. The first lead was the mystical Phantom. The auditions for the phantom and Raoul were held after hers and after that it was the other, smaller, parts.

“Weasley, Ginevra!” Wish me luck, Angel! She thought and entered the room. At the Staff table sat a woman who Ginny recognized as Chanté Laux, the famous singer and behind her was a bald man sitting by a piano. Chanté smiled and inclined her head, gesturing for Ginny to stand in front of her.

“Welcome! I think we start at once. Will you please repeat what Geoffrey plays.” It wasn’t a question so Ginny nodded and prepared herself. This was not new to her; she had exercised this for endless hours in the music room. After a while Chanté stopped her

“Good. Now I want you to sing the song you’ve chosen.” Ginny nodded once more and took a deep breath. Then, with her tutors well known voice in her ears, advising her, she started to sing. The song caught her and the melody whirled around her, floated towards the blue sky above like leaves in the wind. She finished with a high-pitched tone that flowed over her lips lightly as feathers. The rushing, bubbling happiness that gripped her everytime she sang was mirrored in her deep brown eyes.

“Thank you. The results will be in the entrance hall tomorrow.” Ginny noticed her soft French accent and out of nothing she thought that she must be a good teacher. She turned and walked out, noticing that now it was only boys waiting outside the double doors. To her surprise she saw Malfoy there. He looked terribly out of place with all the school’s nerds around him. He didn’t insult her or smirk, he just watched her intently make her way to her Charms. A bit surprised of the lack of animosity she hurried towards Professor Flitwick’s classroom.

“Malfoy, Draco!” Finally! He thought, how long could it take to understand that these people could not act and even less sing? He strode in and a woman greeted him telling him what to do. Only five minutes later he was back out of the Great Hall, shamelessly content with himself. By his way out to Care of Magical Creatures he saw the Dream Team, seemingly glued to each other as usual. Instead of his usual comments he just walked by, a smug smirk grin playingon his lips. It was much funnier, he had discovered, to do this since the Trio instead of getting angry became very nervous. If the son of a death eater was happy then something was wrong. Very happy with his newly found way to torture the three Gryffindors he disappeared out on the sunny Hogwarts grounds.

“I don’t like the way Malfoy’s acting. He’s bloody happy all the time.” Ron said glaring at the retreating back of the blonde Slytherin.

“At least he isn’t coming with hisslight insults anymore.” Hermione said but she didn’t look like it actually was an improvement.

“Potter, Harry!” The raven-haired boy rose, and totally uninterested went through the doors.

The same procedure was repeated again but to Harry it was totally new. He never sang at all, he didn’t even hum to himself. Now he was asked to sing and he was asked to do it well. He felt some of his old covetousness awake and he got a determined look on his face. Hermione and Ron almost jumped with glee when they saw that their friend had lost some of the dazed shield that guarded his eyes. It was not much, but it was something.

That night there were many anxious students in all the houses, nervously awaiting the results of the auditions. The chatter was unusually low and many went to bed early, but not many of them fell asleep until much later. In the silence of the night a house elf put the castingon the doors of the Great Hall.

Ginny awoke early with a tickling sensation in her stomach. She got dressed quickly and left, careful to not disturb her roommates. When she came down to the entrance hall she spotted a tiny crowd in front of the doors. She hurried over and the group parted to let her see. A weak “Oh my God,” was all she could muster when she saw the piece of parchment that would change her life forever.
Leave a Review