Ginny growled sleepily as Harry grabbed her ankles and pulled her from her bed. It was the morning of their trip to Hogwarts via the Hogwarts Express and she didn’t want to wake up, but slowly her eyes peeled open and she flipped herself onto her back so her legs were twisted,

“Ok Harry! I’m getting up!” she muttered.

He dropped her legs and grinned, walking over to her bedside and kissing her nose,

“Good, we’ve already had breakfast, we have to leave in twenty minutes,” he said seriously, looking at her with his deep emerald eyes.

“Huh? Oh ok… Twenty minutes... Yeah – Wait! What the fuck?! Twenty minutes?”

She sat up quickly, almost pushing Harry over as she jumped out of bed and pulled some jeans and a t-shirt out of her wardrobe. Thank God she had packed her trunk last night.

She was about to remove her clothes before turning to see Harry was watching her intently,

“Um, Harry? I’m not that stupid,” she chuckled sleepily and pushed him out of the room before resuming getting dressed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a cold morning and Ginny woke up early to the scent of fresh rain at her window. She gave a small sigh and turned over silently, checking her clock. Six O’clock. She knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep, so as quietly as she could she rolled out of bed, dressed and made for the Great Hall.

This is what she loved about Hogwarts and what she had missed over the summer. She could wake up in the morning and – however early – find something to do, whether it was searching for hidden passageways or looking at the old paintings and murals that lined the walls. She ran her hands over old tapestries, their fraying fabric delicate to the touch and stared up at the still sleeping portraits, not daring to wake them. She walked around the castle for an hour before realising everyone was stirring from their beds and decided to head down to breakfast.

She was one of the first people in the gigantic room (Followed by Parvati, Lavender and a few first years from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw who she did not know) its magical ceiling displaying a bright sun and pink-orange clouds – the complete opposite of what was outside. She was utterly surprised to see the light haired Malfoy boy by the name of Draco sitting alone at the Slytherin table, a stack of pancakes before him on an exquisitely white plate and a glass of pumpkin juice beside it. He seemed to be reading an old charms book and was unconsciously stabbing his fork into the pancakes sending maple syrup flying everywhere.

She couldn’t help but suppress giggles to herself as she sat down, Parvati and Lavender sitting together on the other side of the table chatting happily together. She didn’t even really make a point of talking to them and gave them a brief but happy looking smile and a ‘hello’ as they passed her.

She looked up after a few chews of her toast and looked over at Malfoy again. He had stopped reading and had apparently not noticed the mess he had made of the table, but had oddly noticed there was a huge hole in his pancakes and was looking around for the culprit. This time she couldn’t help it and started to giggle out loud which earned her a stern look from Lavender and made Malfoy turn around and give her a sly smirk. He hadn’t thought it was her, had he?

Ginny quietened, her cheeks blazing red and nibbled her toast again, taking a gulp of milk and pulling out some scrap paper from her pocket (She always left notes in there) and tearing out one of the corners. She pulled out a quill and wrote – in very tiny letters – ‘Having fun, Malfoy?’ on it.

She took her wand from her pocket and cast a small shielding charm, making the paper completely invisible and levitated it into the air, across the table, over Draco’s head and plopped it on top of his pancakes.

Once again, she suppressed her giggles as he looked down, bewildered at the note that had now become visible again and pulled it from the gooey mess of maple syrup.

She hadn’t thought about that.

Shaking it free of the mess, he read it, apparently amused as he chuckled a little before pulling his quill out of his pocket and writing a reply.

Seemingly, he had casted the same spells as she had on the paper as a few seconds later, the note was on top of her toast.

She smiled and read the scrap of paper to herself:

“Very much so, Weaslette. Would you happen to know who made a dreadful hole in my pancakes? I plan on making them suffer excruciating pain.”

She laughed openly, Lavender looking over again and giving her a weird look and then burying herself in deep conversation with Parvati. Smiling still, she turned over the piece of paper and wrote:

“Yes Malfoy, I know who it was. It was you, you stupid git,”

She performed the spells and sent the note back over. What was she doing? Flirting with the enemy?

Judging by the blush that rose in his cheeks and the long note he was trying to fit onto the small piece of paper, he was trying to make a good comeback. Maybe he would have if Hermione, Ron and Harry hadn’t all appeared at that precise moment.

She greeted Harry with a small peck on the cheek and hugged Ron and Hermione like she always did, letting them sit next to her so Lavender could no longer look over at them. By this time, the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables were nearly filled up and a couple dozen people had joined the Slytherin and Gryffindor tables so there was no way Draco could fly his note over to her without being noticed.

“So, what are you planning on doing today? It’s not everyday that we start back on a Saturday,” Hermione asked no one in particular.

Ginny hadn’t thought about this. It was Saturday, after all, so Malfoy was going to have plenty of time to give her the note later.

“Oh, you know, this and that,” Ginny shrugged along with her response, “Might pop into the library, I need to study for potions. Snape was really pushing me last year so this time I think I might wise up and knock him off his feet when he expects me to do bad,” she laughed at the thought of Snape looking dumbfounded.

The rest of them nodded and Harry snaked an arm around Ginny’s shoulders. Ron gave them both a disgusted look and Hermione tutted at Ron, who immediately became quiet.

Ginny laughed,

“What Ron, have a problem with me dating Harry?” she breathed.

“No, it’s just… You and him… Doing… Stuff,”

Harry and Ginny both laughed at this and Harry hugged her closer, tilting her chin up and planting a kiss firmly on her lips.

“What, stuff like that?” Harry winked and tickled Ginny’s ribs so she giggled happily.

“Yes stuff like that. Anyway…” he made an attempt to change the topic of conversation, “Have you heard about the Ministry’s Annual Masquerade Ball? They’re sending out invitations to lucky students today. Something about being pure-blood. I suppose you’ll be invited, Harry,”

Harry blinked and stopped tickling Ginny discreetly under the table.

“Why would I be invited? I’m not pure,” he said, cocking his head and taking a sip from his orange juice.

“Yeah, but you know, everyone at the Ministry fawns over you,” Ron laughed, “I’m not joking,” he added, as Harry began to chuckle.

Just at that moment, over a hundred owls surged forward out of nowhere and began dropping letters to the students from their family and friends.

“Three Galleons says I don’t get an invite,” Harry grinned over at Ron.

“Done!” he replied and they both stared up at the owls dropping letters, Ron hoping an invite would drop down into Harry’s glass of orange.

Ginny looked thoroughly bored. She never got mail, and when she did it was mostly from her mother asking if she needed any new socks of her father asking if she had spoken to Harry about ‘Plug Sockets’. She still had no idea what they were so she kept the subject out of conversation with Harry. She reached for the jam and pulled another piece of toast from the rack, avoiding eye contact with Malfoy. She was surprised as a small, black envelope fell directly next to her plate, an owl balancing on the orange pitcher.

“HA! I told you, Harry! I told you you’d get one!” Ron hooted and picked up the letter, a look of shock replacing his expression of delight, “…It’s for Ginny,”

Hermione blinked and dropped her toast, Ron sat holding the letter absolutely still and Harry snatched the letter out of Ron’s hand. It was black in colour with a small stamp in the corner which said ‘Ministry Of Magic’. Ginny’s name was plastered across the front in small letters. The owl that had dropped the letter clicked its beak impatiently and tapped its claws against the glass of the orange pitcher.

Ginny stared at it for a minute before coming back to reality and grabbing the envelope from Harry who had also gone completely silent. She ripped open the invite and saw the letter she never thought she’d receive, it’s writing neat and tidy and its paper decorated with wispy lines of green and blue:

‘Dear Ginevra Molly Weasley,
We are glad to inform you that the Ministry Of Magic will be holding its Annual Masquerade Ball on the thirteenth of September, and you have been invited. It will be help in the Ministry’s Grand Chamber at nine pm and will continue into the early hours of the morning. Due to time restrictions, we need immediate confirmation, so a short reply on the other side of this letter would be greatly appreciated,
Yours Sincerely,
Ministry Officials.’


She smiled and took out her quill, turning over the invite and replying in small yet readable letters:
‘Of course I’ll go.’

She didn’t realise Draco Malfoy doing exactly the same thing on the other side of the room…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wew! First chapter done. The title for this chapter {Siren at Sunrise} was inspired by a long look through a thesaurus. I was looking for other words that meant 'flirt' or 'tease' and siren popped up. I think it matches well with the whole Ginny/Draco thing as sirens are usually paired with the colour red, hense Ginny's hair etcetc. I think you get the point. Anyway, working on second chapter! Feel free to leave a review!
Leave a Review