“Draco.”

“Yes, what about him?”

“Hermione I… I need him.”

Hermione blinked, shut the book she was fumbling through whilst listening to Ginny’s rambling conversation and stared up at her. Then, in the most un-supporting way, began to laugh.

“Gin, pull another one, this so isn’t funny.”

Ginny grabbed her shoulders and stared her in the eyes, her own welling up with tiny tears and her face going red,

“Hermione,” she paused and gulped back her tears, “do you think I want to be in love with him? Do you think I want to be like this? Does it even LOOK like I’m joking?”

Hermione stared at her for a few seconds… Maybe it was minutes, she wasn’t sure, and then she sighed deeply.

“Wow…” she said, almost at a whisper, “You really… Aren’t joking are you?”

Ginny dropped her arms from Hermione’s shoulders and gave her a piercing look,

“No, I’m bloody not and… and… this is so confusing! Fuck it!” she banged her fist down on the common room table, causing a bottle of ink to bounce haphazardly on top of it and then began to cry.

A rather shocked Hermione cuddled Ginny and smoothed her hair. She wouldn’t cry if she wasn’t telling the truth, but this was so hard to believe. Ginny Weasley was in love with Draco Malfoy…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to talk to you, alone. Meet me by the library after hours. I’ll find a way there; you should be able to as well, if you look hard enough. This is urgent and very confidential, Mr. Malfoy, so please do not bring anyone with you. Gin is very upset.
H. Granger.

Hermione looked down at the letter again. It had been two hours since she had taken a sad and sobbing Ginny up to bed and after watching her sleep she had taken out her quill, lighted a candle and began to write the letter, starting over at least twelve times before making it short and to the point. She scrunched it up, making it look rather like a note and placed it in the drawer by her bed, intending to give it to him in the morning at breakfast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning was warm and with only six days to go until the lucky students departed to their homes to get ready for the ball, the Hall was buzzing with excitement. Hermione had no problem carelessly throwing the note onto his plate as she passed and soon she found a reply tucked under her glass of orange juice.

Oh dear, the poor Weasel is upset? However, even though I am so utterly concerned, I’m not sure I could stand within a ten foot radius of a mudblood, though I will try.

Hermione had expected his answer to be harsher than that. Why hadn’t it been? If she had passed him a note like that a year ago he would’ve shot all the insults he could at her, and now he had resided to one?

Greatly appreciated, Malfoy.

She floated the note back over and looked over Harry’s head at him. Draco gave a brief nod, and then flew back into a conversation with the other Slytherins.

Ginny arrived at the table soon after and Harry stood up and leaned over the table to kiss her, but she ducked her head and sat down next to Hermione, not even saying hello. Her face was red and her eyes puffy. Tear stains could be easily seen against her freckled cheeks.

“Gin?” Harry leant over the table and grasped her hand lightly, but she pulled away, not even looking up.

Hermione looked down at her. Ginny was upset and confused and it was obvious to everyone around her that something wasn’t right, yet Hermione knew that Harry wouldn’t make it better.

“Gin? Are you ok?”

Once again, Ginny didn’t look up. She just sat there looking down at her plate as salty tears began to trickle down towards the table.

“Ginny?! Oh for God’s sake! What is with you lately?” Harry burst out, his face red and flustered, “You never talk to me anymore! You always push me away! You’ve chan—”

He was cut off by Ginny standing up and staring directly down at him, her eyes still puffed up but maintaining that almost famous Weasley anger.

“I’ll tell you what’s wrong, Harry. I’ll tell you what’s wrong! You’re always so bloody clingy!”

Nearly all of the students in the Hall had turned to look at them by now. Draco was staring at her as if he had never seen her before, his mouth open in shock, but a smirk still playing at his lips.

“You always want to do stuff with me! You never leave me alone! I need space, Harry; I need loads of space at the moment,” she continued, “I can’t fucking take you hanging on my every word all the time!”

Hermione was reaching for her hand as if to pull her back down, but Ginny pulled out of her reach and took off down the centre of the hall, her long red hair flying around her as she stormed out.

She swung open the door of the Great Hall and ran into the empty hallway. She couldn’t take it anymore. She had to do something. Her feelings had been eating away at her for many days now and she felt like if she kept crying she would faint. She stood there for a few minutes and then slowly crumpled down into a heap on the floor, sobbing quietly.

She was debating with herself in the back of her mind, asking herself how could she be so stupid and how could have happened so quickly. Maybe it hadn’t. Maybe it had been there for ages, sitting there just waiting for the most inappropriate moment to let itself out into the open.

She had a brilliant life with Harry, everything had been on track and then the fucking ferret had come into the picture and had blown it out of proportion. His eyes had such a hypnotizing effect on her, like no one else was around and his lips made her shiver at the thought of having them against her.

She let out another cry. He would never like her. He would never let her touch him. He would never—

A loud bang echoed throughout the large hallway and Ginny lifted her head briefly, her head swimming and eyes out of focus. She could just about see the blurred figure of Hermione, who was advancing on her with… Who was that? Harry?

“Ginny? Ginny are you ok?”

An arm laced itself around her shoulders and pulled her shaking body upwards. She turned briefly and through her watering eyes could see the very concerned looking Hermione.

“I… Oh God… Hermione I’m sorry… Is Harry over there?” she squeaked, cuddling against her best friend and sobbing onto the neck of her robes.

“Shh. Yes he’s over there. He’s very worried about you, Ginny…”

“But Hermione… I couldn’t help it… It’s all too much.”

Ginny was still crying and her head was pounding. Her heart was thumping in her throat rather uncomfortably and she felt sick. She clung onto Hermione as if it was the last thing she could do, her knees buckling.

“Ginny, I’m going to take you back to the common room ok?” Hermione said softly.

Ginny nodded her head feebly.

“Professor McGonagall has excused you and me from classes, so we’re going to go back to the common room and have a little chat ok?”

Ginny nodded her head again and closed her eyes, bursts of colour swimming before her lids before she passed out.
To Be Continued.
Jassy is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Liquid Sunshine also liked 257 other stories.
Leave a Review