Ginny sat next to Draco in Hermione's office. Hermione had drawn some blood from Ginny to be added to a potion that would confirm the sex of Draco's baby.

“Merlin, I could go for some ice chips right now.” Ginny stared at Draco.

“Why ice chips?” she asked.

“Because,” Draco explained, “You can concentrate more on chewing the stupid little pieces then anything else. I ate them all the time when I studied for our O.W.L.'s”

“I want a chips, peanut butter, and banana sandwich,” Ginny said as if it was normal to want that. It was Draco's turn to stare. He was almost used to it though; he had been getting requests for odd sort of foods all week from her. At all hours of the night, too. After the first time Ginny requested tomato soup with chocolate in it, Mipsy came to Draco in tears. She was afraid that Ginny was going nutters and Draco said that he would get it. Now Mipsy came to him every night with different orders from Miss Weasley.

Draco and Ginny turned expectantly towards the door when it opened and Hermione entered the room.

“Congratulations, Draco,” Hermione started with a smile on her face.

“I knew it!” Draco shouted. “It's a boy!”

“... you're having a girl,” Hermione finished.

“WHAT?!”

“You're having a -”

*sniff*

Draco and Hermione turned to see tears falling down Ginny's cheeks. Draco was at her side in a second.

“Are you okay?” he asked, concerned. “Did you get hurt?” He was looking over her head and arms for any signs of injury; whatever injury she could come about sitting in a chair.

“No,” Ginny sniffed, snatching her arms out of Draco's reach. “And don't talk to me anymore,” she pouted at him.

Hermione stiffled a giggle as a confused look spread across Draco's face.

“Don't talk to you?” Draco asked.

“Yeah, you girl hater! Why is it so bad that you're having a girl?”

“I'm-”

“And don't even blame it on me. It's not even my baby.... well, it was my egg... but it's you and your bloody female making sperm that did it! When this girl comes out, you better keep it because I can't just shove it back up my-”

“Ginny, it's okay,” Hermione decided to intervene before things got out of control. “Draco is delighted to be having a girl, aren't you?” Hermione shoved Draco's shoulder to answer because he seemed to be stuck with his mouth and eyes wide open. Finally he nodded his head. “Do you want to wait in the waiting room so I can talk to Draco about his daughter?”

Ginny sniffed. “Is something wrong?” she asked worriedly

“No, nothing's wrong. I have a few papers that I need him to sign,” Hermione answered, “Possibly, you could go and visit your co-workers on the fourth floor? It has been a while, and they've been asking about you.”

By now Draco had moved to the chair again. He was amazed at what a smooth liar Hermione Gra- Weasley was. Must've been hanging around with Scarhead and the Weasel.

“That would be nice,” Ginny finally smiled. “Is that okay?” Ginny asked Draco. The confused look was again on his face as he saw a genuine smile on her lips. The very same lips that had just yelled at him. The very same lips he had been waiting seven years to kiss...

"Oh, Merlin, no!" Draco thought. He didn't want this to happen. This is the reason he had stayed away for seven years.

“Draco?” Ginny questioned him, breaking him out of his thoughts.

“Sure,” he croaked, finding his voice.

“Great!” she squeezed his forearm and hugged Hermione before she left.

“Are you all right?” Hermione asked as she closed the door and sat on the edge of her desk in front of Draco.

“Yes. No. I have no idea,” Draco sighed and put his hands over his face and continued talking. "One minute she's up, the next you would've thought I tried to murder her. She wants the weirdest foods at ungodly hours. After she wanted tomato soup and chocolate, Mipsy woke me up crying, saying that she wouldn't get Misses the food because she was afraid she would upset her. So now I have to do it. At midnight,” Draco added, removing his hands from his face. He looked as if he wanted to place his hands in his hair and rip every strand out.

Hermione felt strange as she gave Malfoy a kind smile. He was the kid that tortured her and her friends in Hogwarts. Things are different now, she reminded herself. He's different now.

“I understand what you're going through. I do,” she reassured him when he raised his eyebrows in doubt. “Ron hasn't let me forget how terrible my mood swings were when I was pregnant. But I also know what she is going through. At almost five months, she's just beginning to show. The reality of giving birth is just really setting in, and it's terrifying for the first time. Her clothes are not fitting her anymore, and that's depressing for any woman. Not to mention that Ginny's hormones are all over the place. She can feel extremely happy and, the next minute, she can feel really sad. If you think you've got it bad...”

“Ginny's got it worse,” Draco finished.

Hermione nodded and reached to the other side of her desk and picked up a book.

“This is the book that Ron and I read together each month.” Hermione handed it to Draco who began flipping through the pages. “It tells you what you need to know each month, and has different questions that she, or you, might come across. It's very helpful... what are you doing?” Hermione asked. She was watching as he turned the book different ways, then began shaking it.

“The pictures. They don't move.” He looked at her curiously and Hermione laughed.

“ 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' is a book written by Muggles. The pictures won't move.”

“Odd.” Draco flipped the book right-side up. “Can you really have a baby standing up?” he questioned, squinting at the picture, trying to comprehend what was happening.

“Sometimes,” Hermione answered as she went to sit behind her desk, “Even though the way we can do the immaculate conception is quite different from Muggles, the birthing process is much the same. We just have potions, instead of their medicine.”

“Shouldn't Ginny be here to hear this?” Draco asked curiously, still flipping through the book.

“I wanted to talk to you about it alone.” Hermione paused. There was something else she needed to ask him, privately... she just hoped he wouldn't get angry. Well, she expected anger, just not too much of it, if she was lucky. “And ask if you know that she asked Ron to find out about the mysterious Death Eater that saved her?”

Draco almost dropped the book. “Is he?” he asked as all the color drained from his face.

“He doesn't know what do to. Draco, we all think you should just tell her.”

“How do you know? How does Weasley know?” Draco asked. He thought that he and two other people knew what he did.

“Arthur Weasley. Please don't be mad at him,” Hermione added nervously, “He let is slip just the other night when Ron and I were over for dinner. We had a lot of questions, which he explained.”

“Who else knows?” Draco's voice was unreadable. Hermione didn't know if she should fear him because his secret was out, or not.

“Molly. No one else, to my knowledge.” Draco remained silent for a few minutes and Hermione nervously tapped her fingers on the wooden desk.

“I can't tell her,” Draco said finally.

“Why not?” Hermione folded her hands in front of her to keep from tapping them.

“Because she expects this great shinning knight and she'll just end up getting me.”

“Are you saying you're not enough?”

“No,” Draco slammed the book on the table, startling Hermione. “I'm saying I'm not what she wants.”

“I'm not sure she had anyone in mind,” Hermione started.

“Sure. Whenever someone pictures their saviour, it's always me.” Draco's voice was rich in sarcasm. “No, she pictures someone like St. Potter. Someone who does this sort of thing every day.”

“The way I heard it, you did do that sort of thing everyday.”

“No, it didn't start off that way. I just did it because I had no where else to go. And to add to all this mess of reasons why I can't tell her, I'm a Malfoy.”

“Oh, please. When are you going to let that go? You've got to stop defining yourself by your last name!”

“I am a Malfoy.”

“That's right. But you are Draco Malfoy. You're not Lucius! He took lives and he tortured them. How many lives did you save, Draco?”

“Ginny.”

“And countless others. I'm not stupid, Draco. I know exactly how many people there were. Two hundred and fifteen. You saved-”

“I'll tell her when I'm good and ready to tell her.” Something flashed in his eyes that reminded Hermione of the old Draco Malfoy.

“Why?” Hermione asked more gently, and Draco sighed, taking a few seconds to collect himself.

“She wouldn't understand.”

“Don't underestimate Ginny,” Hermione said softly.

-----

After they left St. Mungos, Draco insisted that he take Ginny to buy some clothes. He'd rather try and head off some of the depression that Hermione was telling him about by getting clothes that will fit her. Then when they got home, they sat down to read some of the book. Well, they caught up on the chapters they had missed, and then read about the fifth month. Draco was a little disappointed when Ginny announced that she was sleepy, and promised that she would send Mipsy in so he could make her something at midnight. Draco actually liked her being that close to him while they sat on the couch.

He sighed as he poured himself some water from the pitcher on his dresser. He really would've liked to tell her, but everything inside of him told him not to. He'd kept it a secret so long, it felt odd even thinking about telling her. He had to hold back his anger after finding out that the Weasel and his wife knew about it. He couldn't blame Arthur though. There was a time or two that Draco had to stop himself from telling Ginny about it. He couldn't imagine what it must've been like for Arthur, who saw her almost every day after it happened.

Logic told him that he should tell her. She would be happy to know once and for all, who it was that saved her. But his conscience told him that she'd be terribly let down.

"Jesus", Draco thought as he set the water down on his bedside table and got into bed. If he had known that it was going to be this difficult to just stop himself from telling her, he wouldn't have done it. No, that was a lie. He wouldn't have left her there to die, which is what was going to happen if he had done nothing. He wouldn't trade saving her for anything.

He put on his glasses and began reading the book that Hermione had given them. There was some interesting things he wanted to read about. This is what he was doing when he heard a faint knock on his door. Assuming it was Mipsy, he told her to enter.

“You're not busy, are you?” Draco jumped at the sound of Ginny's voice.

“No,” he said, his voice catching at his throat when he looked at her. She was wearing one of the nightgowns they had bought earlier that day. It had small straps and was white and almost see-through. She looked beautiful.

“More outrageous food?” he asked, putting his book down. The only good thing that came from having Lucius Malfoy as a father, was that he was able to hide his emotions. "And his erections", he thought, looking down at the strategically placed book. Only, he learned that himself, right now; and not from his father.

Ginny smiled sheepishly as she walked closer. Merlin, if she didn't stop biting her lip like that...

“I need you to feel something,” Ginny said and Draco almost groaned. What in the world could she want him to feel?

“Excuse me?” Draco asked. He was finding it more difficult to hide his emotions when she looked that good, and she was standing so close to him.

Ginny sighed. “Move over.” She motioned for him to move over on the bed. Which he did, holding the book to make sure it didn't fall off.

Ginny slid into the bed beside him. After she was better, she had returned to her own bed. Being back here now made her feel protected somehow.

“Why are you up at this hour?” Draco asked after checking his watch to see that it was two a.m. He should've been asking himself that question, actually.

“Oh, here,” Ginny took a hold of his wrist and gently place his hand firmly on her belly. He looked at her with confusion, then his eyes widened. He felt something try to kick his hand away.

“Is that-”

“Your baby girl.” Ginny smiled.

His baby girl. Draco Malfoy had happy tears in his eyes, and he didn't care. He could've cared less that there was a possiblility that Ginny could sell the story of Draco Malfoy crying to the Daily Prophet the next day. This was his baby girl.

“My baby girl,” he whispered to himself. He felt a small hand cover his and felt something burning inside him and suddenly found it hard to breathe.

“I think she's going to be a football player,” Ginny said softly.

“No, she's going to be a Seeker, like her father,” Draco said with a smile. “Does it hurt?” he asked curiously.

“No, just feels different. Like nothing I would ever imagine. It feels... beautiful.”

“You're beautiful.” Draco wasn't even aware he had said anything, until he heard Ginny gasp. With her mouth open slightly like that, how could he not kiss her?

He slowly leaned in, giving her plenty of time to stop him. He searched her chocolate eyes for any sign that she was scared because he knew her past and he didn't want to push her. He was very surprised when it was Ginny who finally closed the distance between them.

With one hand still on her stomach, Draco ran his other hand to her head and threaded it in her hair. The red hair that he had been wanting to touch ever since he saw her that day in Diagon Alley. It met his every sweet expectation; soft and silky. He was again surprised by her when she held on to his upper arm and pulled him even closer, deepening the kiss. She tasted so sweet as her tongue finally found his. He had kissed many women before her, and none of them even came close to the things she did to his thoughts. She had erased every women from his memory and replaced them with herself. Except Jessica.

He pulled back slowly and she released the hold she had on her upper arm.

“I'm sorry,” Ginny said placing a hand over her shocked mouth.

“I'm not,” Draco said, shaking his head. He watched as a slow blush creep up to her cheeks.

“I better go,” Ginny began to stand up when she felt his hand on her arm, holding her there.

“Can you stay?” Draco asked before her feet touched the floor, “I don't want to miss her.” He nodded to Ginny's belly. “And I kind of like having you here,” Draco added softly.

“Draco,” Ginny started, only to find she didn't know what she wanted to say.

“I just want you here, both of you. I don't know what's happening between us, Ginny. I'm not going to lie and say that I don't want it to, but we'll figure that out later. Just stay?” he asked again.

Ginny nodded and climbed back into the bed, this time laying down. “I kinda like being here,” she whispered after Draco had turned out the light and she felt his hand rest on her stomach again.
To Be Continued.
dracosnaughtyprefect is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 75 members. Members who liked One Last Wish also liked 1190 other stories.
Leave a Review