"Ginny," Mrs. Weasley called to her daughter. "Ginny dear, if you don't wake up, you'll never make it to the interview!"

Ginny rolled over in her bed and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. For the past five years she'd been having nightmares and hadn't been getting much sleep. She'd wake up in a sweat and silent screams.

"Ginny, you've got to leave!" Molly's voice rang through the house. Ginny quickly jumped out of bed, pulled on her clothes, cast a glamour charm on her hair, and ran downstairs to find her mother looking furious.

"Good... now remember where you are supposed to Floo to?" Mrs. Weasley asked, pushing Ginny to the fireplace.

"Yes mum, goodbye." She kissed her mother's cheek and grabbed a handful of Floo powder. "Library," she shouted and she was gone.


***

Ginny Flooed to a library that was the largest library she'd ever seen. Hermione's was massive but this... this was unfathomable. The ceiling must've reached three stories and all four walls where covered in books from the floor up. There were two black leather couches facing each other with two mahogany end tables for each of them. Sitting upon them were very dim lamps in the shape of snakes, their mouths where the bulb was. A rug lay between the couches. It was made of earth tones and lavishly designed with some sore of ancient Indian design.

"Ah, Miss has arrived," said a squeaky voice behind Ginny, causing her to jump. "Mipsy did not mean to give Miss a fright."

"It's all right," Ginny told the house elf, her hand placed over her fast beating heart.

"Sir will be with Miss in one second. He asked Mipsy to tell Miss to sit. Mipsy shall bring tea." With that, the house elf disappeared out of the room.

Ginny sat and waited listening to the tick-tock of the Grandfather clock that rested against the wall behind her. Finally she heard the sound of shoes on a hardwood floor and the door opened.

"Malfoy?" Ginny asked, unbelieving.

"You?" Draco said at a loss for words. He had no idea Jessica would've picked a Weasley. Out of all the other witches in the world...

"What am I doing here?" Ginny asked rudely.

"Believe me," Draco flopped down on the couch opposite of Ginny and sneered. "If it were up to me, you wouldn't be here."

"My name is on the form and all the paperwork you must've signed to get me here. How could you not know it was me?"

"My wife knew who you were. Everything was left in a letter, besides the paperwork. He handed Ginny a letter that he held in his hand. "That's a letter that Jessica left for you to explain this," Draco paused, trying to find the right word, "situation."

Ginny stared at the letter in her hand for a few moments, then carefully opened it and began to read:

Ginny Weasley,

I know you must be wondering why I chose you. Trust me, I have my reasons and I am sure that you will find them out in due time. I know this won't be easy on you, for I know the way Draco has treated you, your family, and your dear friends. I ask you, as a dying woman, please look past that. I need you to give Draco the one thing that I will never be able to and that I wanted so badly to give him. A child. I must also ask you to please stay here with Draco during the nine months. I would love for him to see what it would've been like if we were to have a baby. I know that this seems like an awful lot to ask of someone I never met, but I have nothing else to give him, but this. I hope you understand.

Always,
Jessica Malfoy


Draco wondered what the letter had said. He watched as Ginny's eyes went wide, and then filled with tears. When Mipsy had brought in the tea, mid-letter, the tears were spilling onto her freckled cheeks.

"And you- you support her decision?" Ginny asked looking from the letter back to Malfoy.

Draco contemplated his words, then sat forward. "I thought she was nuts at first, but this is was the only thing she wanted. And seeing a Weasley in my library is a shock, but Jessica has my trust."

"So, what do we do?"

"You signed up to be a surrogate witch, but you don't know what to do?" Draco came to the closest to a laugh that Ginny had ever heard.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I know what to do for that, but she wants me to live here," Ginny held up her letter." If Jessica hadn't mentioned that to Draco in his letter, he showed no surprise.

"So, you'll live here," he said simply, sitting back again.

"I can't. I've got a life and a job."

"Not anymore."

"What!?"

"The job. You don't have a job anymore. What would you need it for? As for a life..." He smirked at her.

"But-"

"This is what my wife had wanted!" Draco took a deep breath to control his anger. "Are you going to do it or not? I've got other things that I could be wasting my time on." Draco got up to leave.

"Malfoy," Ginny called before he reached the door. He turned around with disgusted look on his face. "I'll do it," Ginny agreed finally. "When did you want to do it?"

"As soon as possible," Draco answered. "What?" He asked when he noticed Ginny giving him a strange look.

"I'm trying to picture you as a father," she said and then started to laugh.

"Well, if you're quite done, I think it would be okay for you to leave." Draco gestured to the fireplace. "I'll send an owl to the Medi-Witch tomorrow and let you know when the appointment will be. Do you think you can be packed by tomorrow?"

"I'm a witch, Malfoy. It doesn't take me long to pack." She said before stepping into the fireplace and flooing back to the Burrow.
Leave a Review