Authors' Note: I only write fan fiction, work at Target, and go to college.. Does that sound like J.K. Rowling to you? I'm not trying to be her... if only ::sigh:: And thanks so much to Isabel who beta'd this chapter wonderfully!



Ginny waited until dinner that night to tell her parents. Being the only child still living at the Burrow was often times lonely, but tonight, Ginny was thankful for this. She was scared enough about what her parents would think, let alone her over protective brothers.


“So, Ginny dear,” her mother started as they sat down to dinner, “tell us how the interview went.”

“Well, I've decided to do it.”

“Oh.” Her mother couldn't hide the shocked look on her face and Mr. Weasley choked on his potato.

“Please, you both knew this day would come. It's why I volunteered,” Ginny said rolling, her eyes at her parents’ reactions.

“Yes, but your father and I didn't really think you'd do it,” Molly said.

“You really didn't think Fred and George would open up their joke shop. You didn't really think Bill would marry Fleur, or that Ron would really ever grow up and ask Hermione to marry him. You didn't really think Charlie...” Ginny froze. Charlie had died in one of the final battles against Voldemort. They couldn't bring themselves to talk about him in normal conversations, as they were not fully healed. Oh hell, Charlie wouldn't like the special treatment. “You didn't think Charlie would really work with dragons,” Ginny finished.

“She does have a point, Molly,” Arthur agreed with is daughter. “But Ginny, you're only twenty-four. Have you given up hope of having your own children when you're married?”

“No, and honestly, I didn't think it would be this soon, but someone really wants a child and I will give this chance to that person.”

Molly Weasley smiled proudly at her daughter. “Who is the couple?”

“Not a couple,” Ginny frowned. It was now or never, she told herself. She took a deep breath before saying “Draco Malfoy” as quickly as she could.

The silence in the room was deafening. Mr. Weasley's fork was inches in front of his open mouth. Mrs. Weasley's hands were flat on the table where they were when she was intently listening to her daughter. When the silence became too much, the ghoul began rattling some pipes. That was the first time Ginny had ever been truly thankful of the ghoul because her father seemed to snap out of his state of shock.

“M-Malfoy?” He questioned putting his fork down. “Are you sure this is what you want to do?”

“Believe it or not, yes. It is what his wife wanted and it was the last wish she left for him. I don't know how she chose me, but she did. The more I think about it the less sense it is making, but I made him a promise, and I will keep it.” Ginny's parents smiled with pride at her determination. She had to have determination if she was willingly agreeing to have Malfoy's child.

“Another thing,” Ginny began, “in the agreement was that I live at Malfoy's manor until I have the baby,” Ginny held up her hand to stop her parents who were about to react to the news. “It was in Jessica's letter to me, and I will be doing it. She wants Malfoy to go through the pregnancy with me. I don't necessarily think it's a great idea, but since she asked, I feel like I have to.”

“Ginny, you don't have to do anything,” Molly said.

Ginny sighed. “Mum, if dad died when you were younger, and he asked you to fulfill this wish for him. If he wanted you to father Lucius Malfoy's baby so you knew what it was like to have a child, would you?”
“I already have many children.”

“No, before that. Before you had any children at all.”

Molly was silent for a few moments, staring intently between her husband and her daughter. “Yes, I suppose I would. But I honestly don't think your father would request that I would have Lucius' child.”

“Of course he wouldn't. Please Mum, I need you to be okay with this as well,” Ginny pleaded with her mother.

“I am okay with it, dear. Just be careful,” Mrs. Weasley squeezed her daughter’s hand in her own.

“Now that we are all okay with it,” Arthur smiled at his daughter and wife, “can we please eat before our dinner gets cold?”

***

Before Ginny had woken up from her nightmare the next morning, a black owl had brought a letter from Malfoy saying that a Medi-witch would be meeting with them at 3:30 p.m. and that she should be packed, and meet him there. It explained that his house elf would be picking up her bags from her house and settling them into her room at his house.

***

“Draco Malfoy,” a feminine voice called from the corridor that Draco's back was facing.

“Draco Malfoy?” The voice repeated.

Draco knew who the voice belonged to without even looking. Reluctantly, he stood up and faced her. “Sweet Merlin,” he said under his breath. Even though he knew who the voice belonged to, he wished upon everything he owned it wasn't her.

Hermione Granger. Well, now that she had married the Weasel, it's probably Hermione Weasley. Unless she was one of those liberated witches and kept her last name. Even though it was a muggle name, he would've rather kept it than be a Weasel.

“So, it is you,” Hermione smirked.

“Would there be any other Draco Malfoy?”

“I suppose not, but one can dream, can't she? So, who is the unlucky -”

“Hermione!” Ginny cried as she walked into the waiting room. “Oh, please don't tell Ron!” She pleaded as she shrugged off her green jacket.

Draco smirked as he watched the red-haired Weasley squirm.

“I - I won't, of course.” Hermione looked unsure of herself. “You do know this is Draco Malfoy, don't you?” She whispered to Ginny.

Ginny sighed and looked at Malfoy and frowned for the smirk still remained on his face. “Yes, I know it's Malfoy. He wants a kid, and I happen to have the equipment for him to have one. Can we please hurry this along so I can start my nine months of hell?”

It was Draco's turn to frown. “Your nine months of hell?”

“Yes, thank you. I don't remember you say you were going to carry a child and then squeeze it out your-”

“Well, you're the one that has to live with me. Don't you think that is going to be hell for me?”

“Excuse me, you're the one making me live there. It's not like I offered to do it out of the goodness of my heart,” Ginny countered.

“If you two are done,” Hermione edged her way between the two, “follow me please.” She led them down the corridor to her office. On the desk were some moving pictures of Hermione and Ron on their wedding day. Another was of Ron and their daughter Natalie sleeping on the couch. The light blue walls of her office held a few plaques and awards from the Wizarding Medical Research Team and even one that Ron had given her that said “President of S.P.E.W.” It was a Christmas gift from their seventh year in Hogwarts.

“Okay, we've just got to get a few papers filled out. Did you want the spell done today?” Hermione asked as she put a few pieces of parchment in front of the odd couple.

“Yes,” they said at once.

“Right,” Hermione smiled.

After the mountain of papers were done (“I thought you said a few, Granger, er, Weasley”)

Hermione took Draco into the waiting room to wait and Ginny into a room where she could perform the spell.

“You're not under the Imperious Curse, are you?” Hermione asked Ginny when they were alone.

“No.”

“Then what made you just consent to having Draco's baby?”

“His wife.”

“Ginny, she's dead. Are you seeing ghosts?” The worry was etched on Hermione's face.

“No, no ghosts. Her last wish was for Draco to have a child, and for me to be the one to give it to him.”

“I did see her in here to look at candidates after they found out they couldn't have children,” Hermione thought out loud. “Your name was on the form also, so she must've known it would be you who was to have her husbands child. This is all so strange.”

“Ginny,” Hermione said seriously as she took out her wand. “Are you positive about this? I know I helped you become a surrogate witch, but you can change your mind.”

“I'm sure Hermione. This is why I signed up for it; to give someone else a child. I vowed to give someone a child, regardless of who they were. No, I didn't believe Draco Malfoy would be the parent, but I'm okay with it. It would be easier if we could put it in a pot for the nine months, though,” Ginny joked and Hermione laughed. “And, it's not as if I have to stay there after the baby is born. The baby will be his, all his, after it's out.” Ginny almost laughed at the thought of Draco changing dirty diapers.

They were silent for a few minutes as Hermione looked as if she were concentrating hard. She flicked her wand a few times.

“All done.”

“Done?” Ginny didn't know what to expect, but that seemed too easy.

“Yes. The muggle way is not as simple. I wouldn't complain,” Hermione smiled.

“When will I know if the spell worked?”

“Immediately.” Hermione took out a small needle. She instructed Ginny to hold out her finger and Ginny flinched as Hermione quickly pricked her fingertip. She swiped a drop of blood on a small piece of paper. Then Hermione took out a small clear cauldron and dropped the paper in to a blue potion. “If the spell worked, it will become gold. If not, it will remain blue.”

Ginny watched with baited breath as the potion turned gold. A huge smile broke out onto her face. She did not like the thought of a child of Draco's growing inside of her, Ginny was just happy the spell worked. And, it was a little bit exciting to know there was a little person just begining in her belly. Even if it would eventually be a Malfoy. Poor baby.

“In nine months, Draco will be a father,” Hermione said.

“You won't tell Ron, please?” Ginny asked again.

“I promise.”
Leave a Review