All through dinner that night, Malfoy asked Ginny if she felt any different. After the fifty-sixth time, Ginny excused herself and went upstairs to unpack. The room she would be staying in was beautiful. It was done in rich wood and deep reds. The bed reminded her of the Hogwarts canopy beds, decorated in red and gold. There were two bureaus, a desk, and a closet. A fireplace was next to the door leading to her very own bathroom. Ginny was almost glad to be here. Almost.

After she had unpacked all her clothes, she lay on her bed and began reading a book. She looked up when she heard a knock on her door. She was more than surprised to see that it was Malfoy.

“No,” Ginny replied before he could even say anything.

“What?” He seemed confused.

“No, I don't feel any different.” Ginny didn't even bother to look up from the book.

“I was going to ask you if your room was okay.”

“In that case,” Ginny looked at him, finally. “The room is wonderful.”

“Good. I will leave you. Good night.” With a simple nod of his head, he left her room.

****

Ginny was in a dark and dank cell. She could walk four paces each way. There were no doors and no windows, just gray cement bricks on four sides of her. She had also been breaking pebbles out of the cement walls and making a pile so she could know how long she had been in there for. It had been sixth months so far. She had no idea what sort of spell or charm would be on the walls, but they only allowed Death Eaters in and out of her cell. Another strange thing she found about her cell was that either she did not know any of the Death Eaters coming in and out to question her, or their voices were disguised.

And to say they were coming to question her was an understatement. It was an outright lie. She had been beaten, tortured, and violated in every sick way they could think of.

“Wake up, little girl!” Ginny jumped as a hooded figure barged into her cell. “It's time for play,” the rough voice called. He grabbed her by the hair and pushed her into a laying position. Ginny didn't even cry out as he threw up her skirt and unceremoniously pounded into her small and tired body. He continued until he reached some sort of satisfaction, spat on her, and left the room.

Ginny lay motionless on the cold floor. Something like this happened every single night. Either they beat her, or raped her. Sadly, she could call upon the first night that she had been here. She had just gotten off the Hogwarts Express after completing her seventh year at Hogwarts. She was about to reach her parents, who were proudly waiting for her, when popping noises erupted all around her. The last thing she saw was a spell hit her mother, who fell to the ground, before large hands closed around her and she was being Apparated away from Platform 9 3/4 and brought to this very cell.

That night, they had tortured her and beat her, and she'd been raped until she thought she would die if one more person touched her. Thankfully, they tired of her, and left. Possibly to die on her own, Ginny never found out. Whether she had fallen asleep or passed out, she didn't know, but she was awakened when someone entered the room with heavy boots on. She almost began to cry because she did not know if she could stand it anymore.

Without saying a word, the person knelt beside her and drew their wand. Whatever the spell was, she did not hear it, but she felt no pain.

Was she dead?

“It was a healing charm,” the hooded person, who turned out to be a male, said softly. “You're not dead.” He said these things as if he could read her mind. Of course he could read her mind, she thought to herself. He is one of the Dark Lord's followers.

“That remains to be known,” he chuckled a little.

“Snape?” Ginny asked weakly.

“No, not that git. Here, take this, it'll help you sleep.” He held out a cup of purple potion. “No one will be back for a few days.” Ginny drank the Sleeping Draught.

“If not Snape?”

“It's not important. Just go to sleep.” Ginny fell asleep and didn't remember him leaving her room.

Every time she was tortured in one way or the other, he would return. He refused to say who he was or what Ginny's fate would be. “You'll live another day,” he would tell her as he handed her the Sleeping Draught.

Today as he knelt by her and performed the Healing Charm, Ginny softly replied, “thank you”. Tonight had been especially bad. They had performed many cutting spells on her. She knew she was bleeding a lot because the white shirt she had been wearing was red now. Blood red.

As if choreographed, he held out the Sleeping Draught. “Will I be able to sleep... never mind, I'll never get out of here,” Ginny said sullenly.

“No, you will get out of here, I promise.” Ginny looked at him surprised. This was the first time in her sixth months of him coming and helping her that he even mentioned her leaving.

“Can you tell me something,” Ginny wondered.

“My name is...”

“...not important. I got that all ready, but I want to know about my family. Could you tell me how they are doing? And Harry Potter and Hermione Granger?”

“The last I knew, Harry and Hermione were well. Your family has suffered a loss though. In the battle this morning, Charlie died.”

Ginny felt tears rush to her cheeks. “Drink the potion, Ginny,” he said softly. “You're alive another day.”


***

Ginny was bored out of her mind. For the past month she had felt like a prisoner in the mansion. She tried to clean a few things but Mipsy got offended and burst into tears. She tried reading books, but she couldn't sit that long. She tried visiting her mother, but it made her sad that she couldn't stay there. She visited Hermione on lunch breaks, but she got called off most of the time to be with a patient.

Malfoy was in his study and was well aware of Ginny pacing back and forth outside his open door.

“Do you need something or do you like getting on my nerves?” He asked without picking his head up from what he was writing.

“I do like getting on your nerves.” Ginny walked into his study. “But there is something I need to ask.”

Malfoy stopped writing on the parchment, put his quill down, and looked at her expectantly.

“Can I get a job?”

Malfoy raised his eyebrows and glanced at her for a few seconds before answering.

“I thought we all ready discussed this. No.” Malfoy went back to his parchment.

“Why not? You try sitting around the house with nothing to do. I just need some small job. I won't go work at St. Mungos. I know I would be in danger on the Unliftable Curses floor, but I need to do something.”

“Play wizard chess.” Malfoy was still not looking up.

“With who? Mipsy?”

“Get one of your brothers, you've got about ten of them.”

“They don't know about what I'm doing yet. That'd go over lovely with them. 'Want to come play wizard chess with me at Malfoy's Mansion?'”

“So have the Mud- Grange- Weasley play,” Malfoy was getting frustrated.

“She's got her own baby to take care of on top of a job,” Ginny crossed her arms. “Draco, I'm going out of my mind.”

Draco's quill froze at the sound of his name. He looked at her, shocked, but she didn't seem to notice that she didn't call him Malfoy. Realizing it must've been a slip, he sighed loudly.

"Why not invite your whole family here for dinner one night?”

“My brothers-”

“Don't know... so invite them over.”

“So you want a war to start in your own home?”

“Might be nice,” Draco smirked and Ginny rolled her eyes. “They don't know this is my house. Just have them floo into the library like you did and explain everything. If they want to leave, they know where the fireplace is.”

Ginny thought this over. “What if they ask why they can't Apparate?”

“You can't Apparate in here anyways.”

“Really?” Ginny asked.

“Really. I don't want people Apparating into my house unannounced.”

“Well, they can't be angry forever, right?” Ginny asked.

“Right,” Draco agreed. “You let me know when you want the brood over, and I'll be ready.” Draco turned back to his letter he was writing.

“Tomorrow night?” Ginny asked over little thought. Draco's job as a part of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad for the Ministry of Magic usually had him home by four o'clock. Ginny knew from her father that they watched him closely and he wasn't allowed to stay over. She also knew if there was a raid while he wasn't at work, he wouldn't be called either. It seemed like they treated him poorly and it was beyond Ginny why he stayed.

“It's Wednesday, so it should be slow. Sounds good,” Draco said, looking up at her.

“Great!” Ginny smiled and Draco felt a little happy knowing that he put the smile there. “But don't think I have forgotten about the job,” Ginny warned before leaving. “I will also remind you that you shouldn't forget the Bat-Bogey hex I am sure you remember from your fifth year.”

“Just plan your party and I'll think about the job.”

“Thank you!” Ginny skipped happily out of the room and Draco shook his head, thankful that she missed the smile that was on his face. What the hell was happening to him? His wife just died... and this was a Weasley. A Weasley who would be out of his life when his baby was born. But Merlin, she was starting to grow on him.
Leave a Review