Seems like just yesterday
You were a part of me
I used to stand so tall
I used to be so strong
Your arms around me tight
Everything, it felt so right
Unbreakable, like nothin' could go wrong
Now I can't breathe
No, I can't sleep
I'm barely hanging on

“What do you mean ‘it’s over’?” I screamed at Dean as he told me that our relationship was ending. I never expected it to happen like this—actually, I never expected it to happen at all.

“I can’t do this anymore,” Dean said to me, his expression cold and distant. “I don’t love you, Ginny. Not the way Harry did.”

I felt a twinge of guilt. I’d never gotten over Harry since his death.

“I don’t care, Dean,” I explained. “I want you now.”

Dean sighed and shook his head. I immediately felt a wave of agony crash down on me. He’d always been very stubborn and now he was even more so.

“It’s for the best.”

For the best, I thought. Since when was breaking up with someone a week before your wedding ‘for the best’? He was hiding something from me.


Here I am, once again
I'm torn into pieces
Can't deny it, can't pretend
Just thought you were the one
Broken up, deep inside
But you won't get to see the tears I cry
Behind these hazel eyes

“Can’t we just work this out?” I asked him desperately. “Just tell me what’s wrong. I’ll understand...”

Dean looked up at me from the couch with those magnificent eyes. They weren’t their usual sparkling brown today—today they were dull, almost as though the life had been drained from them.

“I want to understand why you’re doing this.” I couldn’t stop the tears that I had been dreading from coming. “Why are you doing this?”

Dean looked down at his feet guiltily. My heart sank. Whatever he was going to tell me was going to be bad. I thought about stopping him from speaking for a moment, afraid of what he might say. But I let him speak to satisfy my curiosity.

“I haven’t been honest with you, Ginny.” He stopped for a moment as though waiting for me to speak. He continued. “I haven’t been going to Auror training.”

“Then what have you been doing?” I slowly asked, my voice cracking.

“I’ve been going to see an old friend—you might remember her—Lavender Brown.”

“Lavender?” I asked, bewildered. “What on earth would you be doing with her?”

The redness in his cheeks answered my question.

“No!” I gasped. “You’ve been sleeping with her? Dean, she has children.…” I couldn’t think of anything else to say to him. The words were tightening in my throat and the tears streamed from my eyes.

I told you everything
Opened up and let you in
You made me feel alright
For once in my life
Now all that's left of me
Is what I pretend to be
So together, but so broken up inside
'Cause I can't breathe
No, I can't sleep
I'm barely hangin' on

Dean stood up and took a step toward me. I stepped away. I didn’t want him anywhere near me after he touched her.

“Ginny,” Dean said quietly. “I’m a twenty-six year old man. I have needs. You just weren’t giving me what I needed. Lavender has what I want.”

“Really? You mean three children and a husband? Dean, you have really gone too far this time. What will her children think-“

“They know.”

“What?”

“They know. Lavender’s getting a divorce—“

I stopped him. “How long has this been going on?”

He had to think about it. “About six months.” He chuckled. “I’m like their second father.”

I just stood there. I was unable to think, to breathe. I didn’t know what to do.

Here I am, once again
I'm torn into pieces
Can't deny it, can't pretend
Just thought you were the one
Broken up, deep inside
But you won't get to see the tears I cry
Behind these hazel eyes

“Go, Dean,” I managed to whisper a few moments later. “Just leave.”

Dean sighed and walked into our room to pack his things. I walked over to the couch and sat down. I needed to think of what to do next, but I was incapable of thinking. I just sat there for what seemed like an eternity, until Dean came out of the room holding two suit cases. The tears came once again. They were much worse this time. I sat there, sobbing in a child’s endless wails. While I was crying I heard the door shut and he was gone.

Swallow me then spit me out
For hating you, I blame myself
Seeing you it kills me now
No, I don't cry on the outside
Anymore...
Here I am, once again
I'm torn into pieces
Can't deny it, can't pretend
Just thought you were the one
Broken up, deep inside
But you won't get to see the tears I cry
Behind these hazel eyes

I lay crying on that couch for a long time. It seemed like forever before someone came knocking at my door. I was so weak from not eating that I couldn’t get up to answer it.

“Come in,” I called weakly from the couch. I had the feeling that it was going to be my mother having heard about the break up. So, it surprised me when I saw a tall man with light blond hair walking into my apartment. He looked familiar, and yet I didn’t know him. I quickly sat up and ran my hands through my hair.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

The man smiled. “Ginny, don’t you remember? It’s me, Draco.”

Here I am, once again
I'm torn into pieces
Can't deny it, can't pretend
Just thought you were the one
Broken up, deep inside
But you won't get to see the tears I cry
Behind these hazel eyes
Leave a Review