It's been five months since you went away
You left without a word and nothing to say
When I was the one who gave you my heart and soul
But it wasn't good enough for you, no
So I asked God

“I don’t know what I’d be doing right now if it weren’t for you,” I told Draco as we walked into my apartment after grocery shopping. We had become very good friends over the last few months. His unexpected homecoming had been a shock, but I was so glad that he was back now.

“I do,” he said. “You’d be sitting on your couch eating cookies until you weighed five hundred pounds.”

I laughed. He was right. I tend to eat when I’m depressed. I put the two grocery bags that I was holding on the counter.

“Well, tomorrow we—“ I stopped talking when the phone rang. I sighed and walked over to it. I hated answering the phone. The only people who ever called me on it were Mum and Dad and they usually only called to ask if I’d found a new boyfriend or if I want to come back home.

“Hello?” I said irritably into the phone.

“Um,” said a voice that wasn’t either of my parents. “Hi. Ginny, it’s me…Dean.”

I almost dropped the phone. My mind began to race and I the only thing that I could think was ‘why is he calling me after so long’.

“Hi,” I finally managed to say.

“Uh, we need to talk.”

“I think that’s what we’re doing.”

“Er…yeah. Well, uh, Lavender and I broke up about a week ago. She’s getting back with her husband.”

“Why are you telling me this, Dean?”

“I was wondering if we could get together?”

I would have immediately said yes if Draco hadn’t been staring at me. He was looking at me with such rage on his face that I was afraid to accept Dean’s invitation. But, I thought to myself, why should I accept it? He left me. He slept with another woman. He broke my heart.

God send me an angel
From the heavens above
send me an angel to heal my broken heart
From being in love
'Cause all I do is cry
God send me an angel
To wipe the tears from my eyes

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” I said in a whisper.

“Why not?” Dean demanded.

“Because you broke up with me?” I asked, as though I wasn’t sure if it was a good excuse. Because I really wasn’t sure.

“Ginny,” Dean said. “That was four months ago—“

“Five,” I corrected him.

“Whatever. Can’t we just put the past behind us? I miss you.”

Those last three words pushed me over the edge and I started crying. Draco began to walk over to me but I stopped him.

“You don’t miss me,” I said shakily. “You’re just upset because you don’t have a fuck buddy anymore. Well, you know what? You’ll find another one. But it won’t be me because I wouldn’t touch you if you were the last man on Earth!” I slammed the phone down.

Tears were now streaming from my eyes and my hands were shaking. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t speak, I could barely even think. I saw Draco walking toward me again and he embraced me. I held onto him with all of my might. I needed to be comforted.

And I know it might sound crazy
But after all that I still love you
You wanna come back in my life
But now there is something I have to do
I have to tell the one that I once adored
That they can't have my love no more
Cause my heart can't take no more lies
And my eyes are all out of cries
Oh, God

When Draco finally calmed me down he sat me down on one of the chairs in the kitchen and walked over to the coffee maker. I smiled to myself. He was so kind to me. He always put me first.

“I’m sorry about that,” I said about five minutes later when I was able to speak.

“Sorry about what?” he asked.

“About the phone call…about crying…”

“It’s not your fault he called. I’m actually surprised that he had the guts to do it.”

I laughed. “I was thinking that exact same thing. Can I ask you something?”

“Anything.”

“Is it wrong of me to still love him?”

Draco paused.

“I know that I shouldn’t,” I continued. “But I can’t help it.”

“Well,” Draco said. “You did spend four years with him. I guess its okay for you to still love him. But you’re right about one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“You shouldn’t.”

God send me an angel
From the heavens above
send me an angel to heal my broken heart
From being in love
'Cause all I do is cry
God send me an angel
To wipe the tears from my eyes

I looked down at my hands. Draco was right of course. I knew that I shouldn’t love Dean anymore, not after what he did to me. But I just couldn’t help it. Then something struck me. I realized that I hadn’t asked Draco anything about where he’d been for the past six years. I’d told him everything over the past five months and he hadn’t told me one thing.

“Draco,” I began, “where have you been for the past six years? I mean, I tell you everything that happened with me and Harry…and with Dean. So, why haven’t you told me anything about you?”

Draco sighed. “I’ve been trying to avoid it.”

“Why? Do you think I’ll judge you?”

“No, it’s not that…”

“Then what is it? Just tell me, please.”

Draco poured two cups of coffee and came to sit next to me at the table. He handed me my coffee and took a sip of his. I could tell that this was going to be a long story.

Now you had me on my knees
Begging God please to send you back to me
I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep
You made me feel like I could not breathe
Now all I wanted to do was to feel your touch
And give you all my love
But you took my love for granted
Want my lovin' now
But you can't have it
Oh, God

“After the war,” Draco began, “everything changed. I wasn’t the same arrogant git that I used to be. The tragedies of war…changed me. I had nightmares for years about it. I dreamt about fighting Voldemort and watching Harry die again…I just couldn’t stay here. I had to get out.”

Harry and Draco had become friends during the war. Draco had switched sides and gave us information of the whereabouts of Voldemort.

“But it wasn’t you fault that Harry died,” I said.

“Yes it was, Ginny,” Draco whispered. “I was standing right next to him. I could have pushed him out of the way. I could have saved him.”

“But then you would be dead—“

“And you wouldn’t be in so much pain. You’d probably be married to him and have toddlers running around. But that didn’t happen. It will never happen. I ruined your future.”

I bit my lip and did everything I could to hold back tears. I didn’t want to cry—not yet.

“Anyway, I had to get away from here. So, I went to America. I attended a great Auror school and I was happy. But I never stopped thinking about you. I never stopped thinking about what would have happened if I had never left. I decided to come back. I couldn’t go home. I couldn’t face my mum again…”

“But, Draco, you’re her only child. Don’t you think that she needs to see you? She thinks you’re dead.”

“I can’t do it, Ginny.”

“Why not?”

“I just can’t!”

God send me an angel
From the heavens above
send me an angel to heal my broken heart
From being in love
'Cause all I do is cry
God send me an angel
To wipe the tears from my eyes

Draco was the first to break down. He put his hands over his face and began to cry. My heart broke with every jagged breath he took and soon we were crying together, holding each other. Draco had a way of making me feel like it was ok to show my true feelings. I wasn’t afraid to let him know how I felt. And at that moment I knew that he was sent to me to help me with everything. He was my guardian angel.

Oh God, send me (God send me an angel)
An angel (wipe the tears from my eyes) Oh baby
send me an angel from the heavens above
send me an angel (God send me an angel)
From being in love (send me an angel)
Oh God, send me an angel
send me an angel (send me an angel)
Ooohhhh..
Leave a Review