Disclaimer: The Characters, places, etc. Belong to J. K. Rowling.

Author’s notes: “I need you” is by Leanne Rimes. Enjoy and please review!
******


I don't need a lot of things
I can get by with nothing
Of all the blessings life can bring
I've always needed something
But I've got all I want
When it comes to loving you
You're my only reason
You're my only truth

I smiled with excitement as I held Draco’s hand and we stared up at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We had been invited there for our ten year reunion but had arrived early so that we could have a look around. It had been so long since either of us had been there. I knew that Draco was just as excited as I was. After staring at the building for what seemed like an eternity I saw a man walking toward us. He wasn’t very tall and he was slightly chubby. I smiled when he was close enough that I could see his face clearly.

“Neville!” I exclaimed and, letting go of Draco’s hand, I ran to give him a hug. I was in tears when I finally let go of him. “I didn’t expect to see you here so early! It’s been too long,” I said.

“It has indeed,” he said. Then he looked at Draco and back at me. “Where’s Dean?”

I felt myself blush. “We broke up,” I explained. “About a year ago.”

“Wow,” Neville said. “I had no idea. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s ok. I’m with Draco now.”

Neville’s jaw dropped and he looked at Draco as though realizing who he was.

“Draco?” Neville’s expression was shocked. “I thought you were—we all thought you were…dead.”

“Nope,” Draco shrugged. “I’m alive.”

Neville walked up to Draco and put his hand out. Draco took it and smiled at Neville. My excitement got the best of me then and I couldn’t stay outside anymore.

“Let’s look around some!” I practically squealed. “It’s been such a long time, I can hardly remember what the place looks like!”

“Yes,” Neville said, “We should take a quick walk around.”

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven's gate
There's a freedom in your arms
That carries me through
I need you

After we walked around the castle we made our way inside. It was warm and inviting in the castle, just as I had remembered it. We walked down the familiar corridors and into old classrooms. One classroom really caught my attention. It was the Defense against the Dark Arts classroom. I remembered that it had been Harry’s favorite class when he was at Hogwarts. I walked into the room and looked around. It was much different than when I had attended.

“I remember this room,” I heard Neville say to Draco. “It wasn’t one of my favorite classes. I believe that Lavender Brown teaches Defense against the Dark Arts now.”

I turned to Neville and looked at him with wide eyes. “Lavender teaches Defense against the Dark Arts?”

“Yes,” Neville said, “But she is…”

I didn’t hear anything else Neville said, for something on the desk in the front of the room caught my eye. It was a picture in a golden frame. It was a picture of all of the Weasley children, Neville, Luna, Draco, Harry, and me standing in a group laughing. It had been taken right before the final battle. We had been the last surviving members of the Order. I automatically grabbed the picture from the desk and traced my fingers along Harry and me—we were embracing and smiling wider than the rest. Tears came to my eyes and fell down my face. I was crying because I missed Harry deeply. But I was also crying because I was angry with myself for not missing the others as much. I suddenly remembered that Draco and Neville were in the room with me. I put the picture back on the desk and wiped my eyes.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I shouldn’t have cried.”

Draco looked as though he could cry as well. He had a look of pity and fear on his face. He suddenly stood up and walked out of the room.

I turned to Neville. “Why did he leave?”

Neville looked startled. “Well, you did say ‘I love you, Harry’.”

I gasped. “Did I?”

Neville sighed. “Everyone knows that you never got over him.”

“But it’s been almost seven years. I should be over him… shouldn’t I?”

“Sometimes the heart refuses to let go.”

I smiled slightly. I knew that he was referring to Luna. She, also, had died during the final battle.

“I just can’t seem to let him go,” I continued. “I love Draco. I really do. But I’ll never love him the way I loved Harry. I’ll never love anyone that much.” I paused. “You know, we were secretly engaged.”

“Were you?”

“Mm-hmm, we were going to get married once the battle was over. But…”

Neville nodded. He understood exactly what I was going through. He and Luna had already been married though, with a baby on the way, when Luna died.

“Well,” Neville said, standing up. “You’d better find Draco. He needs you to explain everything to him.”

I shook my head. “He’s been acting so odd lately,” I said, “He’s been coming and going for the past two weeks. Something is wrong with him.” I stood up from the chair and began to walk to the door.

“Neville,” I said before I opened the door.

“Yes?”

“Thank you for understanding.” And I left.

You're the hope that moves me
To courage again
You're the love that rescues me
When the cold winds, rage
And it's so amazing
'Cause that's just how you are
And I can't turn back now
'Cause you've brought me too far

I found myself standing out across the lake hours later. I hadn’t found Draco yet. But I was debating what I would say to him. I did love him. Even if I did love Harry more it didn’t matter, because Harry was dead and Draco was alive. I made up my mind. I was going to be with Draco. I began to walk back into the warm castle but something stopped me. Something told me that Draco wouldn’t be there. An invisible force was somehow leading me to the Quidditch pitch—the place where Harry, and so many others, had died.

When I reached it I was filled with a terrible sadness. It seemed so dark and cold, even though the sun was shining brightly upon it. I could see small wooden crosses in the ground—memorials for the people who died. There had to be a hundred of them outside of the Quidditch pitch alone. It was obvious that Quidditch was no longer played here—something that I would have to change in memory of Harry who loved the sport so much. I held my breath as I entered the pitch. I could see Draco standing in the middle of it. He was looking at Harry’s cross. As I got closer I could read the inscription on it.

“Harry Potter,” it said. “The boy who lived: the man who saved the world.”

Tears filled my eyes as I remembered that night. I had been running towards Harry and Draco to help when Voldemort and Harry both did the killing curse. I closed my eyes and could see the exact scene display before me.

Harry had fallen to the ground and I ran to him, screaming. I fell to the ground next to him and cradled him in my arms. I saw Draco staring down with a look of regret in his eyes that, at the time, I didn’t understand. People gathered around us crying and celebrating. I opened my eyes, no longer wanting to remember. I stood next to Draco. He still stared down at the cross.

“Ginny,” He said after what seemed like an eternity. “I sent someone back in time. I sent them to give me a letter. They’re back now, but you need to go too.”

“What are you talking about?” Fear began to flow through my veins. His voice had sounded so afraid.

“Just trust me. You need to go back to that night.” Draco reached into his pocket and pulled out a time-turner. “You do know how to use one of these? I thought so.”

I took the time-turner and looked at him questioningly.

“Just listen to what I say,” Draco was crying now. “You will go back to the night of the battle. But you need to hide behind the staircase over there—“He pointed westward. “And do not let anyone see you or this will not work.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I will see you there, but I won’t be here when you get back. Know that I will always love you, now go.”

I looked into Draco’s eyes. He let no emotion show. I gently ran my fingers along his jaw and walked away. Once I was under the staircase I took a deep breath and began to turn the time-turner.

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven's gate
There's a freedom in your arms
That carries me through
I need you
Oh yes I do

I arrived to the sound of screaming. Everyone was screaming. I could see people in black cloaks and others in red robes. I saw a few familiar faces—Lavender Brown, Parvati and Padma Patil. I noticed that none of the Order was there like they had been the first time, except for my past self. But the people that I paid the most attention to were three that were standing in the middle of the pitch. Voldemort was laughing and had his wand risen toward Harry. Harry was in the same stance with a look of pure hatred on his face. I was close enough to hear what they were saying.

“I have you now, Potter!” Voldemort yelled above the screaming. “Your little friend here has been of great assistance to me. He told me exactly what I needed to do to corner you like this,” Voldemort laughed. “So much for loyalty.”

Harry’s eyes flickered to Draco’s and then back to Voldemort. At that moment I could have sworn that I saw Draco look at me and wink.

Then I heard it. Voldemort yelled ‘Avada Kedavra’. I watched in horror as Draco jumped in front of Harry. And I nearly screamed as his body fell to the ground. Harry was screaming and Voldemort was staring in shock. Harry looked up at Voldemort, wand still out, and yelled the same killing curse. Then everything was silent and the ground around me began to shake. Tears were streaming down my face. I looked around me. Everyone stopped what they were doing. Many of the Death Eaters were fleeing the scene or staring stupidly at their fallen master. I saw my past self running toward Harry and embracing him, tears running down my face. I saw everything, yet I heard nothing. I closed my eyes, afraid of what would happen. Then I slowly slipped into unconsciousness.

I need you like water
Like breath, like rain
I need you like mercy
From heaven's gate
There's a freedom in your arms
And it carries me through
I need you
Oh yes I do
I need you
Leave a Review