Chapter 20- Exhausting Days

Everyone in the cast was passed out on the floor of the auditorium, exhaustion finally taking its toll. The show opened in 18 hours. After this weekend, Ginny would have no excuse for seeing Draco all the time; then everyone who didn’t already know they were a couple would figure it out.

Ginny sighed and flopped down onto the floor from where she’d been sitting, deep in thought. How weird was this whole thing? She was dating Draco freaking Malfoy for Heaven’s sake, and she was a Weasley. The only thing wackier than that would be if Voldemort renounced his reign of terror and married Tonks. In other words, it was the weirdest possible thing to happen.

Then again, maybe it wasn’t that messed up. After all, there was the old saying ‘Opposites Attract.’ Ginny snorted to herself. That should probably become their tagline or their motto or something. It really fit.

A moment later, Ginny jumped as Natasha sat up growling. The now-blonde ran her fingers through the knots in her hair agitatedly.

“God Ginny, do you think you’ll be able to fall asleep any time soon? It’s freaking one o’clock in the morning.”

Ginny winced; she hadn’t realized she was tossing and turning so much until just now. “Sorry, Natasha; I didn’t realize I was being that loud.”

Natasha sighed, pushing her hair back over one shoulder. “It’s alright. What’re you thinking about? Is it the show?”

“What makes you think I’m thinking about anything?”

Natasha just raised an eyebrow. “Do you honestly expect me to believe that you’re just sitting here awake when you’re absolutely exhausted?”

Ginny looked sheepish. “No, I guess not.”

“So, what’s up?”

“Nothing in particular,” Ginny lied, thinking that she had to get a better poker face.

“Oh, yes there is,” Natasha replied matter-of-factly, tapping her lips with a finger. “Now let’s see, what could it be…” She grinned suddenly. “Draco.”

Ginny’s answer was as good as admittance. “I was just thinking about how weird it is that we’re together when we’re so different.”

“I think that’s what makes you good together. You’ll balance each other out.”

Ginny didn’t reply right away. “What’s your honest opinion of us as a couple? Do you think we’re crazy for even trying it?”

Natasha shook her head immediately. “I think you’re thinking that way because of how the Malfoys and Weasleys have always been stereotyped as arch-enemies. In my absolutely blatant, honest-to-God opinion, you guys are great together. That’s the truth.”

Ginny breathed a sigh of relief; here was at least one person who didn’t think she and Draco were nutcases.

Natasha watched Ginny for a moment, analyzing the emotions running across her friend’s face. “Are you doubting it?”

“Kind of. But at the same time, I’d never give it up.”

Natasha glanced across the floor to where Blaise and Draco were sleeping, still in their costumes. “Just trust your own judgment, Gin. Everyone else will learn to accept it with time.”




“Ginny? Hello, Earth to Ginny. Ginny!”

The red head opened her eyes slowly and groggily, peering at whoever was rudely waking her up. The second he was sure she was awake and listening, the person launched into a very loud, very off-key song.

“Good morning, beautiful. How was your night? Mine was so wonderful with you by my side. And I open my eyes to see your sweet face. It’s a good morning beautiful day!”

Ginny groaned and punched the person lightly on the arm as she sat up. “It’s way too early in the morning for singing that bad, Blaise.”

Blaise actually looked offended, and Ginny mentally praised his acting abilities. “It most certainly was not bad,” he replied indignantly, pulling her too her feet. “I was sweetly serenading you.”

“Blaise, that had to have been the most hideous thing known to mankind.”

“I don’t know,” he replied doubtfully. “Have you ever seen yourself in the morning?”

Blaise ran for the door as his words sank into Ginny’s still-groggy brain. He was nearly there when her leg bind caught up with him.

“Why Blaise, did you trip?” Ginny asked sweetly as she stepped over his fallen form. “My goodness, you are a clumsy fellow.”

She was halfway down the corridor before Blaise caught up to her, walking gingerly and rubbing his backside.
“Very funny, Gin,” he said irately. “Way to injure me the day of the show.”

Ginny rolled her eyes and continued toward the Great Hall, her nose leading her toward the smell of breakfast. “Oh, poor baby,” she said sarcastically. “I think you’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know,” Blaise replied doubtfully. “I think I broke my butt bone.”




Ginny stood on the stage ten hours later, listening to the sounds of the audience queuing up outside the auditorium. Doors opened in fifteen minutes, and the show started 45 minutes after that. Butterflies began to flutter in her stomach.

Draco caught sight of his girlfriend and made a beeline for her, seeing her nerves as he drew closer. “Are you okay?”

Ginny let out her breath slowly, shaking her head. “I will be. Eventually. I’m really nervous.”

Draco opened his mouth to reply, but Patrick’s voice rang out over the room. “Draco, Ginny, you need to warm up.”

“I wonder what we’re doing today.”

Patrick had a long-standing tradition of having the main trio warm up to a different Broadway song every day. This time, however, Blaise remained where he was sitting, grinning broadly. When Ginny glanced at him questioningly, his smile just grew, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

When the music started, the reason for that twinkle became evident. Draco glanced around at the cast, many of whom looked surprised at the song choice, then spoke to Patrick. “Where’d this crap come from?”

“It’s got similar ranges to what you have to sing in the show.” When he saw Draco and Ginny were looking ready to kill, Patrick quickly pointed at the missing trio member. “It was Blaise’s idea.”

Draco and Ginny directed their glares at Blaise, who shrugged. “Everyone’s going to find out sooner or later. Might as well be now.”

Draco began to argue, but Ginny laid a hand on his arm; she was honestly enjoying the choice of song. “It’s a good song, Draco. Just sing it. Please?”

By the time he nodded, albeit reluctantly, Ginny’s opening solo was done and Draco’s was beginning.

If you were smart, you would keep on walking

Out of my life as fast as you can

I'm not the one you should pin your hopes on

You're falling for the wrong kind of man

This is crazy! You know we should call it a day

Sound advice, great advice

Let's throw it away

I can't control all the things I'm feeling

I haven't got a prayer


Ginny couldn’t hold back an awed sigh; his control of that note was amazing and absolutely gorgeous.

If I'm a fool, well,

I'm too much in love to care


The atmosphere melted away as Draco stopped singing, speaking in quietly furious tones to Ginny. “These lyrics are going to make me gag.” Ginny started to reply, but then stopped herself; it wasn’t worth fighting over. Just a few bars later, her part began again.

Please, can you tell me what's happening?

I just don't know anymore

If this is real, how should I feel?

What should I look for?

I thought I had everything I needed

My life was set, my dreams were in place

My heart could see way into the future

All of that goes when I see your face


Draco’s stiff posture began to relax a bit, and Ginny had to smile as she sang the next lines, her earlier conversation with Natasha floating back to mind.

I should hate you

There I was, the world in my hand

Can one kiss, kiss away

Everything I planned?

I can't control all the things I'm feeling

I'm floating in mid-air

I know it's wrong, but,

I'm too much in love to care


Ginny was pleasantly surprised when, at the next refrain, Draco began to sing, too. He was still grimacing at the sappy lyrics, but there was a look in his eyes telling Ginny that the song meant something to him, too.

"I thought I had everything I needed

My life was set, my dreams were in place

My heart could see way into the future

All of that goes when I see your face

This is crazy! You know we should call it a day


Sound advice


Great advice

Let's throw it away...


Music that had quieted a moment before rang into a forte, and Ginny closed her eyes, pushing out the music that was ringing so familiar.

I can't control all the things I'm feeling

We're floating in mid-air

If we are fools, well,

We're too much in love to care

If we are fools, well,

We're too much in love to care!
Leave a Review