Chapter 17

After dinner was over, everyone seemed to take to the dance floor. Ginny saw Reginald dancing with Bianca, and she smiled. Looking up at Draco, Ginny noticed that he was holding his head at an odd angle. “Draco, what are you doing?”

Draco spoke in a voice devoid of any remorse, “I am trying to look down your dress. I am going crazy trying to figure out what you have on underneath there.”

Ginny tried to keep an innocent expression on her face. “Would you like me to describe it to you?”

“As much as I would enjoy that, I’m afraid it would only make matters worse.” Draco looked at the clock. “I think we can safely leave in about an hour.”

“Well, until then, we’ll just have to dance.”

***

Narcissa Malfoy walked up to her husband and asked, “Have you seen the way our son acts around her? He’s smiling, Lucius. I mean I think his smirk is adorable, but it is nice to see him smile.”

Lucius put his arm around his wife. “You do realize that there is no way that she is staying in the blue room tonight.”

Narcissa nodded. “Yes, I think that is obvious.” The band started playing a song with a Latin beat, and Narcissa smiled up at her husband as he led her out onto the dance floor.


Ginny recognized the Latin beat of the song as it came on, and was not surprised when Draco started moving her in a tango. She was surprised at how sensually some of the other couples were dancing. “I think the band is trying to make sure that everyone has a romantic evening.”

Draco chuckled. “Traditionally, the last several songs are tangos. My father always says that it is good to send your guests home happy.”

Ginny smiled as Draco spun her around the dance floor. He was moving his body closer and closer to hers, and she felt her body responding with enthusiasm. When the last dance ended, she was ready to drag him off to the nearest room she could find.

He obviously felt the same way, because he kissed her and then started walking her down a side hallway. When they were far enough away not to be seen, Draco Apparated them up to his room. Ginny laughed at his actions. He smirked at her. “I couldn’t very well Apparate from the ball room. People would talk”.

Ginny kissed him. “I’m pretty sure people are going to be talking anyway. My feet barely touched the floor as we left because you were moving so quickly.”

“Are you complaining?”

“No, I’m not.” Draco reached for her and she backed away. “Why don’t you sit on the bed?”

Draco sat on the bed and looked at her questioningly. “I’m going for a big effect here. Humour me.”

Draco nodded. “All right.”

Ginny stood a few feet in front of him and unzipped her gown. When she reached up and untied the halter-top of her dress, the entire gown slithered to the floor in a puddle of silk. Ginny watched as Draco caught his breath, and his eyes darkened with desire.


Draco suddenly felt as is he couldn’t breath. Ginny had looked beautiful in her dress tonight. She had been a vision of loveliness, but seeing her now in her bustier set, stockings, and high-heeled shoes, she was a vision of lust. Just when he thought she couldn’t possibly look any better, she turned and showed him the back of the bustier; it was nothing but ribbons.

Ginny was very pleased to see the look on Draco’s face. She walked towards him and was not surprised when he stood up and crushed her body to his with a searing kiss. Then she felt his hands between them, loosening the ribbon that laced up the front of the bustier. She reached out to remove his robe and shirt. When she couldn’t unfasten the unfamiliar studs, she murmured a spell, and the studs on his shirt popped off. He pulled back to look at her in disbelief.

She smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, I couldn’t get them, so I used magic.”

Draco smirked at her as he pulled her wand from her stocking. “I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I am also slightly scared at what else you might do. We’ll just put your wand on the nightstand if you don’t mind.”

Ginny chuckled as he leaned down to kiss her again. Soon her amusement turned to passion as his hands and mouth roamed over her body. She was beginning to think that he was trying to drive her insane. He kept taking her to the edge, and then he would move on to something else. When she couldn’t take in anymore, she whispered, “Draco, please, you’re driving me crazy.”

His only answer was a chuckle before he finally began to move inside of her. Ginny would have yelled at him for amusing himself at her expense, but she was too busy wrapping her legs around his back and holding on for dear life.

Later, when she was able to breathe again, she reached out and smacked him on the arm. “You were trying to drive me crazy on purpose.”

Draco smirked. “I was left to wonder what was underneath your dress for six hours. I figured it was only fair.”

“Maybe, next time I won’t wear anything under my dress.”

Draco groaned and then moved to nuzzle her neck. Ginny sighed as he worked his way up towards her ear. “I love you, Ginny Weasley,” he whispered, making her smile and tear up at the same time.

She turned to face him. “I love you too, Draco Malfoy.”

Draco reached out and slowly stroked her face. “You took me completely by surprise. I had no idea a red headed Weasley could make me feel this way.”

“Who would have thought a smirking Slytherin could do the same to me. I guess fate has a funny sense of humor.”

Draco kissed her on the forehead and then wrapped his arms around her. She drifted off to sleep feeling that all was right with the world.

***

Ginny woke up because she felt like someone was watching her. When she opened her eyes, there was a house elf staring at her. She yelped in surprise and the house elf apologized, “I’m sorry, Young Miss. I didn’t know if I should wake you.”

Draco sat up and spoke. “That’s all right. What did you need?”

Peggy held up Ginny’s bag. “Mrs. Malfoy thought Ginny might need her bag to get ready for brunch in an hour.”

Ginny groaned in embarrassment and pulled the sheet over her head. Draco just chuckled. “Tell my mother that we will be joining her for brunch.”

The house elf Apparated out of the room with a pop, and Draco pulled the covers off of Ginny’s head. “Are you all right?”

Ginny sat up and frowned. “Your mother knows we had sex last night.”

“I think anyone who saw us together at the party assumed that we were going to do just that.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “But, it’s your mother. Now I have to go sit across from her and make pleasant small talk while she knows that I was screaming your name last night. That is just wrong.”

Draco smiled and leaned down to kiss her. Ginny kissed him back, and then pushed him away. He frowned at her. “I only have an hour to get ready.”

When he pouted at her, she offered him a compromise. “We can sneak off somewhere after brunch. I promise.”

Draco followed her into the bathroom where they both got ready. When they Apparated into the greenhouse, where they were having brunch, Ginny was impressed by her surroundings. There were lilies, roses and blooming flowers of all kinds growing in pots and hanging planters. “These flowers are amazing,” Ginny told Draco as she turned in a circle trying to take it all in.

“Thank you,” Narcissa Malfoy said from the small white table that was laden with breakfast foods. “The plants and flowers at Malfoy Manor are my pride and joy, next to my son of course.”

Draco walked over and kissed his mother on the cheek. “Good morning, Mother.” Ginny was surprised to see Draco reach over to shake his father’s hand. “Father.”

Lucius Malfoy nodded at his son. “Sit down. We have pancakes by special request I believe.” Ginny saw Lucius smirk at his son.

Draco smirked right back. Narcissa spoke, “Ginny, I hear that you come from a very large family.”

Ginny made small talk with the Malfoys about her family and her education while they all ate. When they were finished, Ginny felt a shift in the atmosphere she didn’t quite understand. Then, Lucius started talking. “Ginny, what are your plans after you graduate from Hogwarts?”

Suddenly, Ginny felt like she was taking a test. Taking a deep breath, she dove in. “I have two more years before I finish my degree, so I haven’t finalized my plans yet. I do plan on working for my brothers at first, until I find the job I really want.” Ginny smiled innocently at Lucius. “I believe you met my brothers, Fred and George, on a tour of their shop, Weasley Wizard Wheezes.” Ginny watched an almost imperceptible twitch of Lucius’ jaw muscle, and then it was gone.

“I have a vague recollection of touring their joke shop,” Lucius informed her as he sipped his tea.

Ginny smiled. “I would think one would remember their first encounter with my brothers. They can be quite the pranksters.” Ginny heard a small sound escape from Narcissa Malfoy’s direction, but when she looked, Draco’s mother appeared to be calmly sipping her tea.

Draco decided that Ginny was treading in dangerous territory so he intervened, “Ginny’s favorite class is defensive arts; she’s really quite skilled.”

Lucius looked at Ginny for a moment. “Are you really any good, or is my son biased?”

Ginny bristled as she held out her hand and created a fireball. “I don’t know, Mr. Malfoy, why don’t you tell me?”

Lucius didn’t bat an eye, but he did look at Ginny with some newfound respect. “I see. How exactly are you doing that without your wand?”

Ginny extinguished the fireball and leaned back in her chair. “Someone once told me that information is power, and I don’t feel like sharing that information with you right now.” Ginny felt herself getting angry. “Now can we get back to pleasant small talk, or would you just like to come straight out and ask me if I’m after your son’s money?”

Draco reached out to take Ginny’s hand, and she smiled at him. “It’s all right. I’m sure it’s only natural for your father to look out for your best interests.”

Lucius gave Ginny an appraising glance. “You are a very straightforward young woman.”

Ginny nodded. “I am. Ask me whatever you want.”

“Why are you dating my son?”

Ginny stated simply, “Because he makes me happy.”

Narcissa must have decided that it was time to intervene, because she stood up and said, “Why don’t I take you on a tour of the greenhouse while Draco and his father catch up.”

Ginny stood up. “That would be lovely.” She followed Narcissa into the depths of the greenhouse and listened as she talked about the different flowers.

“Draco told me that when he was a child he would follow you around while you worked in your gardens.”

Narcissa nodded and smiled at the memory. “Yes, he did. He probably knows more about plants than he really wants to.”

“I think that is why he is so good in potions. He really understands all of the plant lore.” Ginny turned to look at Narcissa. “Do you think I am after your son’s money?”

Narcissa shook her head no. “I think you are after his heart.”

Ginny felt tears of gratitude spring to her eyes. “Thank you.” She looked away quickly and walked up to another plant to smell its fragrance. “This is lovely. What is it?”

Narcissa steered them back to talk of plants, and she and Ginny walked back to the main house. Ginny was disturbed to leave Draco, but she didn’t particularly feel like seeing Lucius again.

***

Draco found Ginny in his room, carefully folding her copper colored gown. He walked up and wrapped her in a hug. “I’m sorry. My father can be overbearing.”

Ginny nodded and was annoyed when tears threatened again. “I should have brought him that box of Canary Creams that Fred and George offered me.” Looking up at him she sighed. “You aren’t mad at me, are you?”

Draco chuckled. “Actually, I’m impressed. Very few people stand up to my father; he isn’t used to it.”

“I like your mother, but I don’t think I care for your father,” Ginny informed him. “He pretended to be nice, and then he started questioning me like I was on a job interview.”

“He talks to everyone that way. After awhile, you’ll learn to ignore him.”

Ginny smiled. “Or after awhile, I could shoot fireballs at his head. I’m leaning towards that idea for now.”

Draco sighed. “Although I would love to see that plan in action, I should warn you that there are protective wards placed all over the house and grounds. If you had tried to aim that fireball you produced in the greenhouse at anyone, you would have been stunned or worse.”

“Really?”

“My father is a very powerful man, but he is not very well liked.”

Ginny snorted. “I can’t understand why. He has such a lovely personality.”

Draco chuckled. “He is very nice to my mother, but to everyone else he is overbearing and pompous.”

Ginny looked at him sadly. “I’m sorry that your dad isn’t more caring towards you.”

Draco looked at her for a moment and then hugged her without saying a word.

Narcissa Malfoy quietly closed the door that she had just opened. She hadn’t meant to eavesdrop, but she didn’t want to interrupt their conversation. She swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat, and stalked off down the hall. She was going to go give her husband a piece of her mind.

Ginny looked up at Draco. “Do we have to stay here for the rest of the day? Can’t we go spend the day in Diagon Alley, or somewhere else?”

Draco kissed her on the forehead. “Let’s take a walk out to the barn, and if you still want to leave after lunch we will.”

Ginny nodded, and he took her hand and they Apparated down to the kitchen. Draco asked the kitchen elf to make a picnic basket for them, and then they set out for the barn.

“Are there actual animals in the barn?”

Draco nodded. “We have several horses, and there always seem to be a lot of kittens about.”

“Really, why?”

“Well, the couple, who take care of the horses, lives above the barn. They seem to have a knack for attracting cats. Of course, the cats keep the mice population down, so no one really seems to mind.

Ginny saw the barn in the distance. It was a huge stone structure that looked to be two stories high. When they reached it, she realized that it was enormous. She saw a man walking a horse in a paddock. When he saw them, he climbed through the fence with a smile on his face. Ginny was surprised when the man walked up and hugged Draco. “Look at you. I swear you’ve grown since you went off to school this year.”

Draco smiled. “You say that every time you see me, Tom.”

“I guess I do. Now who is this lovely young lady you have here?”

Ginny smiled at the warmth that radiated from this man. “I’m Ginny.”

“Well, hello there, Ginny. I guess you would be the girlfriend that we all heard was coming to visit.”

Ginny nodded and Draco confirmed. “Yes, she is.”

A woman’s voice came from the doorway of the barn. “Tom, darling, have you fed the kittens?”

“Beth, come on out here. There is someone you should see.”

A woman with her hair tied back in a kerchief came walking out of the door. She smiled and walked over to hug Draco. Then she turned to Ginny, “You must be Ginny.”

Ginny found herself engulfed in a hug that smelled like cinnamon. “You must be baking,” she commented.

Beth smiled. “I just put cinnamon scones in the oven. Why don’t you two come and see the horses. The scones will be ready in about twenty minutes.”

“I heard there might be kittens,” Ginny mentioned hopefully.

Beth grabbed her hand. “We have two new litters. Come and see.”

Tom chuckled as he watched Beth drag Ginny off. He spoke to Draco, “How about we look at the new foals at the other end of the barn and give those two a chance to talk.” Draco followed Tom into the barn.

Ginny smiled at the group of kittens that were currently climbing all over her lap. She and Beth were sitting on the floor of the barn laughing at the kittens and their antics. Ginny looked at Beth. “I’m glad to see that Draco has one male figure in his life who hugs him.”

Beth nodded knowingly. “Yes, Mr. Malfoy loves his son, but he doesn’t show it the way you’d expect. I remember the first time that Tom hugged Draco, the poor boy was startled half to death, but then he started to come around more.”

Ginny picked up an orange kitten and cuddled it to her chest. “Mrs. Malfoy is very nice, but that whole house just seems cold.”

Beth laughed. “You’re one of us, aren’t you?” Ginny looked at her blankly. “You’re from a working class background, aren’t you?”

“What gave me away?”

“Well for starters, you’re sitting on the floor of a dirty barn surrounded by about twenty kittens, and you’re happy about it.”

Ginny chuckled. “My dad works for the Ministry of Magic, and my mum spends all of her time trying to take care of him and my six older brothers.”

“Good lord, that’s a houseful.”

Draco walked up and saw Ginny sitting in the hay, hugging a kitten to her chest, and talking to Beth about her family. When she looked up and saw him, her eyes lit up, causing him to smile. “I like the barn much better than the house,” she informed him.

“There were many times in my life that I felt that way.” He looked at Beth. “Do you suppose that the cinnamon scones are ready now?”

Beth stood up and brushed the hay off of her clothes. “Let’s go check.”

Ginny stood up and continued to cradle the kitten to her chest with one hand, while she brushed hay off of her clothes with the other. Draco kissed her on the cheek and asked, “Would you like to keep that kitten?”

Ginny’s face lit up with a huge grin. “Can I?”

Draco nodded and she nuzzled the kitten. “I bet I could keep her in a box in my dorm room. Between all of the owls and toads running around Gryffindor tower, I don’t think anyone would notice.”

Draco led Ginny to the stairs that went up to Tom and Beth’s living quarters. When she walked into the cozy atmosphere of their home, she sighed. “This is really nice.”

Beth looked up from the stove. “It is homey, isn’t it?” She looked at the kitten in Ginny’s arms. “Are you adopting one of my babies?”

“If it’s all right with you.”

Beth grinned. “One down and dozens to go. Of course, it’s all right with me. Now have a seat, and I’ll get the scones out.” Ginny and Draco sat with Beth and Tom and talked about school and horses. Draco opened the picnic basket he had brought, and they shared what was inside. Ginny felt relaxed, but frowned when Draco said that they needed to be getting back to the main house.

Beth sighed. “Oh, they aren’t so bad up there. You’ll get used to Mr. Malfoy’s ways. He’s just a little abrupt at times.”

Ginny smiled. “I guess you’re right. I really enjoyed meeting you both. Thank you for letting me take one of your kittens.”

Beth looked at Draco. “It might be best if we kept the kitten here until you’re ready to leave.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Let me guess, no pets allowed in the Manor?”

Draco frowned. “It is probably best to leave the kitten here until it’s time to leave.”

Ginny scratched the kitten’s ears. “Did you hear that Ginger? I’ll be back for you later.” The kitten meowed at her like she understood and Ginny laughed. She passed the kitten off to Beth, and then she and Draco walked down the stairs holding hands.

Beth looked at Tom. “He’s going to marry that girl, isn’t he?”

Tom nodded. “I think he is. I don’t know if he realizes it yet, but he is.”


***

Ginny sighed as they walked back towards the Manor. Draco saw the way she was looking at his home. “You don’t like the Manor, do you?””

Ginny tried to put her feelings into words. “It doesn’t feel like a home to me. It’s like a museum full of beautiful, cold things. I think maybe if it was less formal, I’d like it better.”

Draco shrugged. “My parents are very formal people. Blaise’s family has a similar house, and it always seemed much warmer to me. His mother has family photos instead of artwork, and she has comfortable furniture rather than antiques. I always did like his house better than mine.”

Ginny smiled. “I like Tom and Beth. They are very nice.”

Draco chuckled. “Yes, they are. They’ve been very good to me over the years.”

***

When Ginny and Draco entered the house, a house elf Apparated in front of them. “Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy request your presence in the parlor.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at Draco. “I don’t suppose your mother and father ever just call out your name when they are looking for you?” Draco snorted at the idea. Ginny chuckled. “I think one of my mum’s favorite hobbies is yelling for us. She’s gotten where she can string all seven of our names together in one breath.”

Ginny followed Draco to the same parlor that she met his parents in yesterday. When they walked in, she saw that they were seated at a table reading the newspaper. Lucius looked up at Ginny and frowned. “What have you been doing?”

Ginny looked to see what he was upset about, and she realized that her sweater was covered with quite a bit of kitten fur as well as a few stray pieces of hay. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that the kittens had shed on me quite so much.” Muttering a cleaning spell under her breath, she quickly cleaned her clothes.

“Kittens?” Lucius asked with a note of disdain in his voice.

Draco spoke when he saw the less that friendly look that Ginny was giving Lucius, “We went down to the barn, and Ginny played with the kittens.”

Lucius sniffed. “We have a barn full of prize winning horses, and you chose to spend your time with the kittens.”

Narcissa stepped in to try and ease the tension that her husband seemed to be purposefully creating. “Do you have pets at your house?”

“Draco just gave me a kitten. I’m going to take her back to school with me.”

Narcissa smiled. “That’s nice. Would you like some tea?”

Ginny was about to say yes, when Lucius started speaking again. “It seems that my son has given you two gifts, a bracelet and a kitten. If I told you that you had to return one of those gifts, which one would you give back?”

Draco spoke before Ginny could answer. “Father, that is ridiculous.” He looked at the angry expression on Ginny’s face. “You don’t have to answer that.”

Ginny smiled at Draco. “Thank you for sticking up for me. I am going to answer his question though.” Ginny walked over so that she was standing in front of Lucius. “Mr. Malfoy, if I had to decide between a bracelet and a kitten, I would choose the kitten. While the bracelet is lovely, and Draco and I did pick it out together, it is just a thing. The kitten is a living, breathing creature. I happen to value people and other living creatures above material things.”

Lucius stared at Ginny for a moment, and then he held out his hand. “Give me the bracelet.”

Ginny looked at Lucius to see if he was joking, and she realized that he wasn’t. “Fine, I suppose it was your money that paid for it.” She took the bracelet off and dropped it in Lucius’ hand. Then she turned to Draco. “Please bring my kitten and my things to the Burrow this evening.” Then, she Apparated home without another word.

Draco stared at his father in disbelief. It took him a moment to find his voice. “Why, in the hell, did you do that?”

Lucius looked at his son. “Don’t take that tone with me.”

“Why not? You just ran the woman that I love out of this house, but the best part is, you stole her Christmas present first.”

Narcissa spoke in a deathly quiet voice. “You are going to apologize.”

Draco looked at his mother in disbelief, and that was when he saw that she was not talking to him. “Did you hear me, Lucius Malfoy? You are going to take that bracelet and you are going to apologize to that girl.”

Lucius looked at the fury on his wife’s face. “Narcissa, I don’t see what I have to apologize for. I was just playing around.”

Narcissa glared at her husband and then she spoke to Draco. “Go and get her kitten and her things and Apparate to her house. I’m sure she is upset.”

Draco followed his mother’s instructions and Apparated to the Burrow. He found Ginny crying in her mother’s arms. “Ginny, I’m so sorry about my father. I don’t know what he was thinking.”

When Ginny heard Draco’s voice, she turned from her mother’s arms to his, grabbing her kitten as she went. Molly Weasley watched as Draco spoke soothing words and kissed the top of her daughter’s head. The fury in his eyes spoke volumes about how he felt about Ginny.

When Ginny calmed down, Draco led her over to the couch and tried to think of something to say as he sat with his arm around her shoulders. A knock at the door startled them all. Molly Weasley opened the door to see Narcissa Malfoy. “Molly, I am so sorry about what happened. My husband has a few words that he would like to say to your daughter.”

Molly Weasley looked at Narcissa for a moment before stepping back and letting her enter the house. Lucius Malfoy followed behind her, and Molly had to fight the urge to hex him. Lucius walked into the house and cleared his throat. “Ginny, my wife has pointed out to me that my social skills are deplorable. I tend to treat everyone like they an adversary in the boardroom. I am sorry that I was so rude to you earlier.”

Lucius looked to his wife and she told him, “Go on.”

Frowning, Lucius continued. “Draco, I’m sorry that I was rude to your guest.”

Ginny kept looking at her kitten through the entire exchange, but Draco looked at his father and nodded. He knew that his father rarely apologized, and that this was taking some real effort on his part. Narcissa walked towards her son and smiled at him as she placed the bracelet in his hand. “We were hoping that you might come back to the manor and have dinner with us.”

Molly Weasley spoke, “I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that will be possible.”

Narcissa looked at Molly and nodded. “I understand, perhaps another time then.” She looked at her husband. “Why don’t you Apparate hom. I would like to talk to Ginny for a moment.”

Lucius looked relieved to be dismissed, and he vanished on the spot. Narcissa turned back to Ginny. “My husband is an arrogant man, but he is not a bad man. I’m sorry for the pain that he caused you today, but I hope that you will give him a second chance.”

In a rare act of public affection, Narcissa leaned down and kissed Draco on the cheek. “I am proud of you for standing up to your father and defending your girlfriend.”

Draco smiled at his mother, and then she Apparated back to the manor. Ginny looked at Draco. “I don’t suppose there is any chance that Tom, the nice man who works with the horses, is your real father?”

Draco laughed at Ginny’s question, and then he appeared to think about it. “I suppose the blond hair could have just come from my mother.” Ginny chuckled, and Draco hugged her.

Molly Weasley smiled when Ginny looked up. “You two can stay here for dinner, or you can go out to eat. I just figured you didn’t want to eat with Lucius this evening.”

Ginny smiled. “Thanks, Mum.” She looked at Draco. “Is there anywhere you would like to go?”

Draco nodded. “Yes, there is. If you don’t mind, I would like to keep it a surprise. I could go and check on reservations, and then come right back.”

Ginny smiled. “I could use a nice surprise.”

Draco nodded and kissed her on the cheek. Molly Weasley cleared her throat and Draco looked up. “Draco, be a dear and write down your father’s work address for me on this piece of parchment.”

Draco frowned. “He has several offices.”

Molly thought a moment. “Where do you think he’ll be tomorrow morning?”

Draco took the parchment and wrote down the address, and handed it back to Molly. He saw the look on her face and he asked, “What are you planning on doing with that information?”

Molly Weasley smiled. “I’m going to have Fred and George send him a crate of exploding dung bombs,” she replied matter of factly.

Draco chuckled and advised, “Have them wrap it so that it looks like an expensive bottle of scotch. Otherwise his poor secretary will end up opening it.”

Molly smiled. “Thanks for the tip.”

Author notes: AN: Thanks to those who told me that this chapter posted twice. Unfortunately, when I deleted the second chapter I lost your reviews. I didn't want you to think I deleted them on purpose. : )

Leave a Review