After being humiliated earlier that day in Hogmeade, Harry found himself perched at Malfoy’s expensive mahogany desk. He held Malfoy’s small journal in his hands, arguing with his conscience on whether he should violate Malfoy’s privacy again and read his thoughts.

He is an absolute wanker! I should just read the bleeding thing. Just long enough to dig up some dirt for revenge.

A moment later he had made his decision. He carefully opened the journal to a random page and read:

I wish I knew why I keep writing in this stupid journal. I hate my thoughts. They suffocate me, as though I was trapped under a sheet of cellophane. My mum used to keep a journal when I was a child. It was a petite mauve book that she carried in her cloak pocket. She used to write in it when her and Father were having a row. She told me that I should always keep a record of my thoughts for they will define who I am. She must have been barmy when she told me that.

Harry flipped through the book, searching for a more interesting entry. He came upon an entry that had many words and sentences scratched out. He pulled out his wand and carefully performed the charm that would reveal the scratched out words. A silver smoke traveled across the page and magically erased the scribbles. Harry read on:

Why does she tease me with those eyes? I cannot bear to share another glance with her. Every time I catch sight of her, she meets me with those cinnamon eyes. They seem to have pierced my heart. Oh Gods, why can’t I chase her out of my thoughts and dreams? The other day, I spied her reading in the library. She was curled in a ball, hidden between two bookcases with a huge book in her lap. She looked so adorable with her hair falling around her face in waves. I long for her with every fiber of my being. I want to explore every inch of her creamy white skin. I want to cover her sweet lips with thousands of kisses. I want to whisper into her ear how much I love her and hold her closely in my arms. I want to look into her deep eyes and see my own love for her radiating back to me. My soul is bleeding for her. My heart cannot contain itself in her presence. It feels like it might burst from my chest at any moment. I never thought I could love. I always thought I was incapable of loving someone. But she is all I desire. No matter what I do, I can’t make these feelings disappear. She has enraptured me so fully that I would do anything that she asked. I would give her my heart in an instant if she only wanted it. I’m in love with her. If she would give me a moment’s thought, I would beg her to be mine. Oh Ginny…please be mine. My Ginny.

Harry slammed the small journal shut, his mouth agape in utter surprise. He had no idea that Malfoy actually had feelings for Ginny. He had merely assumed that Malfoy was using her to get his revenge. This was a very interesting turn of events. Harry debated whether he would use this piece of information to his advantage or just let it go. Although he loathed Malfoy’s behavior, he felt like he was starting to understand the reasons behind Malfoy’s façade. And Malfoy’s desperate love for Ginny made things between the two of them quite a bit more complicated. Harry thought that Malfoy’s undying love for the youngest Weasley was probably not the best revenge he could cook up. He decided that he would just sully Malfoy’s reputation with good deeds instead.

****

As the sun slowly set, casting its brilliance upon the sky, Draco and Ginny settled themselves against a tree to watch the mist rise from the murky depths of the lake. Draco felt Ginny shiver against him, so he quickly took off his cloak and offered it to her.

“Thank you, Harry.” Draco stiffened at the mention of his pseudonym.

“Ginny,” he said in a whisper, liking the way her name sounded as it fell from his lips. He would never have found himself in a position to call her by her first name if he had not switched places with Potter. Ginny smiled shyly.

“I like it when you call me by my name.”

“What do I usually call you?” he asked cautiously. Potter’s notes on his daily life had made no mention of pet names for Ginny.

“You don’t usually call me anything,” she whispered, turning her face away from him sadly.

Figures that Potter would have no sense of romanticism.

“My dearest, sweetest, most beautiful Ginny!” Draco exclaimed loudly, wrapping his arms around her snuggly. Ginny blushed, her cheeks flushing with the most adorable shade of red. Draco found himself staring into the depths of her brown eyes as his fingers explored her soft red curls.

“Can I ask you something?” she inquired softly. He smiled at her and nodded.

“It feels like you are so different lately. To be honest, I was certain that you wanted to break up with me. I have been so depressed that I just buried myself in school work. And for a while, it seemed like you didn’t take any notice. Did something change?” Draco noticed there were tears slowly running down her face and it tore him up inside to see her hurting. He wanted to tear Potter limb for limb for not appreciating what he had.

“Yes, a lot has changed. But not how I feel about you, Ginny. That has been my only constant,” he answered, carefully wiping her tears away. She tilted her head questioningly, and parted her lips slowly.

“But why would you ignore me and disregard my feelings? I have tried so hard to be there for you, but you have never let me in. I’ve hated myself for not being able to inspire any feelings in you!” She turned her face away from him and began to sob quietly into her hands. Draco carefully pulled her close to him and let her cry as he held her tightly. He smoothed her hair and gently caressed her back as her tears subsided.

“I cannot say anything to excuse how I have treated you, but please know that I am a different person now. And my feelings for you are the only thing that keeps me going. I get out of bed every morning in the hopes of seeing you and sharing a glance with you from across the Great Hall. To be yours is the only thing that makes me truly happy, Ginny,” Draco whispered and softly kissed her forehead.

“But I never see you in the Great Hall. We rarely see each other outside of the common room. When would we have shared a glance in the Great Hall?”

“Well, I meant if I were to see you in the Great Hall we would share a glance.” Draco quickly covered for his slip. Ginny tilted her head up from her spot on his shoulder and gazed at him with a curious smile on her lips.

“You look different, Harry. Did you do this to impress me?” Draco swallowed hard, wishing he could tell her the truth about who he was and why he had given himself a Malfoy Makeover.

“Yes. Is it ok? Do you like it?”

“I love it. You are really sexy with your hair styled like this,” she whispered in his ear before they began to snog each other silly. Draco was really starting to like getting revenge on Potter.

****

Harry found himself tidying the Slytherin common room, hoping that people would take notice of his strange behavior and begin to gossip about how Malfoy was turning soft. Unfortunately, it seemed that the Slytherin common room was rarely occupied. Harry realized that the Slytherins were probably never going to congregate together for some warm fuzzy time together like the Gryffindors often did. Just as Harry was about to go back to his room, he heard two sixth year Slytherins enter the common room in hysterical laughter.

“Did you see Potter and Weasley’s little sister down by the lake?? I couldn’t believe my eyes! I always thought that Potter was a bit poncey, you know? I mean, him and Weasley are just a little too close if you get my drift,” one of the two sixth years exclaimed as he plopped down onto the couch Harry had just straightened up. Harry found himself trying to listen to their conversation inconspicuously. He gathered up some old text books that were littering the coffee table and began arranging them on a bookshelf close by so that he could hear properly.

“I know! Potter was snogging little She-Weasel in public! I still think that he is just trying to trick us all into thinking he isn’t a complete ponce,” the other sixth year proclaimed very loudly. Harry noticed that a few more Slytherin has entered the common room including his new found friend Pansy Parkinson. She was wearing some dark green pajama bottoms and a silver sweatshirt that clung to her curves. She didn’t have any makeup on and her hair was down in graceful waves that lined her face. Harry found himself admiring her and taking notice of her more feminine attributes.

“Draco, do you know what is going on?” she asked in a sleepy voice. She smiled at him shyly when she realized what he was looking at and a cute blush creep onto her cheeks.

“Hmmm? Oh, yes. I…W-w-what?” Harry stammered as he tore his gaze away from her. She giggled and flipped her hair back, which was out of nervous habit.

“I just asked you if you knew what was going on. I was working on my potions homework and I heard some noise.”

“You were actually doing homework? That surprises me, Pansy. I didn’t know you were that kind of girl,” Harry said in the most flirtatious voice he could muster under the circumstances, and when he looked up again he noticed her eyelashes were batting at him. Pansy drew a finger to her lips and made a shh noise. Then she leaned forward and whispered in Harry’s ear, “Don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret.”

****

Draco and Ginny decided that they were going to eat breakfast together the next day. Draco waited patiently in the common room for Ginny to come down from her dorm room. He sat by the fire and warmed his hands in the warmth of the flames. A few people passed him by with approving grins at his new appearance. Draco realized that Ron hadn’t said a word to him since his makeover yesterday. It really didn’t matter to Draco if Ron was mad at him.

“Good Morning, Harry!” Ginny exclaimed from the top of the girls’ stairs. Draco looked up and saw the object of his affection. Ginny wore her fiery curls down and they bounced with her as she descended the stairs in a dash. He noticed that she was wearing the new robes that they had purchased in Hogsmeade, and she had lined her eyes with kohl. She smiled at him brightly and twirled around to model her new attire.

“How do I look?? Do you like the new robes?” she asked excitedly after giving him a quick good morning kiss. He held her out at arms' length to inspect her appearance. He raised his eyebrow questioningly before they both burst into laughter.

“You look gorgeous, Ginny.” Draco kissed Ginny’s forehead before wrapping his arm around her to escort her to the Great Hall for breakfast.

They chatted on the way to breakfast, and took no notice of all the strange looks they received from the other students. When they entered the Great Hall, they heard a great deal of commotion coming from the Slytherin table. Harry was sitting at the Slytherin table stuffing his mouth with anything in sight. He was wearing some shabby robes that were patched in many spots, a pair of reading glasses, and his hair was un-gelled and askew. Crabbe sat across the table from Harry, stuffing his face in a similar manner. Most of the occupants of the Slytherin table were gathered around Harry and Crabbe, cheering them on as they ate.

“Harry!!” Harry heard someone calling his name and he swiveled about to find the source of the call. Seamus dashed up to him, his face red from laughter.

“Look at Malfoy and Crabbe! They’re having an eating contest! I had no idea that they were so cool!” Seamus shouted loudly above the cacophony of shouts and chants that were echoing about the Great Hall.

“WHAT?!” Draco was enraged. He began to storm over to the table to put an end to the sullying of his reputation, when he slipped on a stray cauldron cake and flew into the porridge of an unsuspecting Hufflepuff. The bowl of porridge flew across the Hufflepuff table and into the lap of Parvati Patil, splattering porridge all over her robes. She screamed at the top of her lungs and thrust the bowl of porridge away from her. It landed on Ron’s foot, ruining his only pair of descent shoes. He looked up to see who had caused the mess and his eyes locked angrily with Draco’s. He swiped his own breakfast of waffles smothered with syrup and launched them fiercely in Draco’s direction. But his aim was off and his breakfast ending up being hurtled all over Hermione who had just entered the Great Hall after an exhausting all night study session. It must have been out of sleep-deprivation that caused Hermione to react the way she did. She carefully removed the waffles that had nested in her bushy hair and shouted at the tops of her lungs, “FOOD FIGHT!!!”

Before anyone knew what was happening, the entire Great Hall had erupted into a massive food fight. Food of all types was being flung in every direction. In the middle of launching some soggy eggs towards the Gryffindor table, Draco glanced over and saw that Ginny was covered with porridge and her hair was adorned with scrambled eggs. She was giggling wildly as she tossed food about like she could care less that she was covered with muck. Draco felt his heart melt at the sight of her and it distracted him from avoiding a head on collision with Professor McGonagall. The two of them attempted to maintain their balance, but the floor was so slippery that they both ended up landing in porridge and pumpkin juice.

As he was escorted to the Head Master’s office, Draco realized with a grin of satisfaction that he had gotten his best revenge on Potter yet.
Leave a Review