Draco glared at her. “You just don’t get it, do you?”

Ginny stared defiantly up at him. “I guess I don’t. Why don’t you explain it to me using small words so that I might have a chance of understanding?”

Draco slumped onto the bed beside her. “We both know that you aren’t stupid. You’ve just got this annoyingly happy outlook on life.”

“All right, I’m not stupid, and you’re not your father. Can we agree on that?” Ginny reached out to run her fingers through his hair. The fact that he let her showed that he didn’t really want to fight.

Draco sighed. Turning his head towards her, he leaned over and kissed her. Ginny kissed him back, and then she tried to talk to him again. But he seemed to be using his standard technique of distracting her with lips and his teeth and his hands. Not that she should be complaining, there were only so many times a week that they could sneak away to be together. She couldn’t blame him for wanting to touch her rather than argue with her. But damn it, at some point they had to talk this through.

When Ginny woke up later, she was alone. It really ticked her off when he wasn’t there when she woke up. Sometimes she thought that he purposefully seduced her, rendered her unconscious through multiple orgasms, and then snuck off so that he didn’t have to talk to her. Of course if she could resist him, she could talk to him. But unfortunately, she just didn’t have that much willpower.

After doing a spell to clean herself up, she walked back towards the Gryffindor tower. On the way there, she saw Draco standing with a group of Slytherins. Ginny glared at him for leaving her to wake up alone. One of the younger Slytherins gaped at her audacity. “What right does she have to look at you like that?”

Draco smirked and replied, “Oh I’ve done some unspeakable things to her over the years.”

Ginny waited until she was past the little group to smile at his comment. He was very witty, and he had become quite adept at making little remarks that seemed innocent on the surface but had a double meaning for her.

***
Once she was safely tucked into her bed, Ginny thought about their situation. She always hoped that a new solution would come to mind. She knew that the death of his father had filled him with guilt. Of course, anyone would feel guilty if they were happy that their father was dead. But his mother didn’t seem to have any problem with Lucius being gone. Now that the war was over, she was dating other wizards, and appeared on the society page regularly.

Since the end of the war, some things had changed, and some things were maddeningly the same. Her brothers still hated Draco, even though he and Snape had been double agents throughout the war. Poor Harry was still traumatized that Dumbledore had let him believe that he was dead. Hermione and Ron were still dancing around each other like a couple of giant birds in a mating dance gone wrong.

Then there was Draco. He claimed that he cared for her, but he wouldn’t talk about what was going to happen after he graduated. She wanted to get married, but Draco said that he wouldn’t make a good enough husband. She knew that deep down he was afraid that he would become like his father. Ginny repeatedly assured him that he could never be as cruel and manipulative as his father.

Suddenly, Ginny had a thought. The word 'manipulation,' was playing around in her brain. What could she do to use his grandiose ego against him? Maybe, she could make him jealous. The only person that he had ever really been jealous of was Harry. She and Harry were still on good terms. They had broken up before the war, and they had remained friends. Harry knew that she and Draco were seeing each other, and he didn’t condemn her for it. He didn’t condone it, but he didn’t condemn her.

The next morning as Ginny was getting ready to head down to breakfast, she did something she hardly ever did. She put on a little makeup, and used her wand to make her hair look a little wild. Maybe a few boys would throw glances her way, and perhaps Draco would notice.

When she walked down to the Common Room, she saw that Harry was just about to walk out of the Portrait Hole, and inspiration hit. “Harry, can I talk to you for a moment?”

Harry turned towards her. “Sure, Gin.”

Ginny pulled him over to a corner and told him her plan. He glared at her. “If I get hexed for this, you are going to owe me.”

Ginny smiled at him. “If you get hexed, I’ll bake you some cookies.”

Harry smiled. “All right, that might be worth it. Besides, I can’t wait to see the look on his face.”

Ginny elbowed Harry and he laughed. “Oh please, if I’m risking life and limb, I’m entitled to enjoy myself.”

Rolling her eyes, Ginny motioned towards the Portrait Hole. They walked side by side down the stairs to the Great Hall. When they reached the entrance, Harry walked in behind Ginny, and he reached out to pull her hair. She laughed and turned around and swatted at him.

Draco heard Ginny’s laughter, and he looked up to see what she was doing. He was not amused when he saw her reach out and smack Potter. He found it less amusing when Ginny sat next to him at breakfast, and laughed at every single thing that he said.

Normally, she would try to catch his eye. But today, she completely ignored him. She must still be mad that he had left her to wake up by herself last night. But he knew that she wanted to talk about the future, and he didn’t know what to tell her. He thought that he loved her, but he wasn’t sure that was enough.

The sound of Potter laughing broke into his reverie, and when he looked to see what was going on, he had to clutch the table to keep from grabbing his wand and hexing them both. Apparently, some food had been thrown, and Ginny was alternately smacking Harry and trying to retrieve grapes that had fallen down her shirt. Draco wasn’t sure what her shirt was doing unbuttoned that much to begin with. Most mornings, her shirt was buttoned up to her neck. But when he looked at her today, her shirt was unbuttoned, she appeared to be wearing a bit of makeup, and her hair was fixed differently.

Draco wasn’t sure what was going on. Maybe she had started seeing Potter behind his back. Maybe she had been so mad last night when she woke up alone that she decided to move on. Grinding his teeth he realized that he needed to talk to her. Grabbing his things, he stalked out of the Great Hall, and waited in an alcove he new she would pass.

Ginny smiled when she saw Draco stalk out of the Great Hall. “I think that worked, Harry. Thank you.”

Harry smiled at her. “Oh, you know I love to annoy Ferret Boy. You better leave for class a bit early. I would bet money he is waiting to talk to you.”

Ginny nodded. “You’re right. I guess I better go.” Ginny walked slowly to her first class. Even though she was expecting Draco to stop her, she was still caught off guard when a hand reached out and dragged her into an alcove. “Draco, you scared me.”

Draco glared at her. “What was that about this morning?”

Ginny feigned confusion, “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“What were you doing with Potter?”

“Oh,” Ginny smiled innocently, “we were just playing around.”

“I didn’t appreciate it,” Draco hissed. “Don’t do it again.”

Ginny glared at him. “I do not take orders from you. If you wouldn’t have left me alone last night, I wouldn’t have been mad. Maybe I wouldn’t have stayed up late talking with Harry. Maybe he and I wouldn’t have joked around so much this morning.”

Draco rocked back on his heels and studied her for a moment. “So, this is my fault?”

“You won’t even admit that you’re my boyfriend. My family knows, they don’t love the idea, but they know. You haven’t told anybody. You graduate in three months. What happens then? Do you just fade off into the sunset?”

“We’ve been over this, Ginny. I can’t offer you what you want.”

Ginny glared at him. “Yes you can. You just won’t.” She smiled sadly as she reached up and touched his face. “I need more. Please, just think about it.”

Draco felt a lump in his throat when he saw the tears that were threatening to fall from her lashes. “You should go to class,” he told her before he turned and walked away.

Ginny swiped at her eyes as she walked to her first class. She was beginning to wonder if maybe Draco was right. Maybe he just couldn’t give her what she needed.

Draco was deep in thought as he walked to class when he heard Potter call his name. “What do you want, Potter?”

Harry smiled at him. “If you push her away, I’m going to try and win her back. I just thought you should know.”

Draco was unable to concentrate on his lessons, because a vision of Ginny and Harry living happily ever after was burning in his brain. During lunch in the Great Hall, he watched as Ginny sat with a sad expression on her face. Then Harry arrived and coaxed her into eating. Draco noticed how Harry was touching her when he talked to her. He had never seen him do that before. Ginny appeared oblivious, but Draco realized that Harry had an agenda.


That night, Draco waited for her to show up for their tryst for over an hour. During that time, he tortured himself with visions of her body entwined with Harry’s. It appeared that she was forcing his hand. Sighing in frustration, he blew out the candles and walked back to his room alone.


Ginny walked into breakfast the next morning hoping she had done the right thing. Harry had suggested that she not go to Draco the night before, and she had taken his advice. She was hoping that Draco had missed her, and that he would be willing to talk about their future now.

Once she sat down, she allowed herself to look over at the Slytherin table. Draco caught her eye and glared at her. She tried to glare back at him, but her eyes filled with tears, and she quickly looked away. Apparently instead of missing her and wanting to talk about his feelings, the arrogant prat had just gotten mad.

Draco watched as Ginny tried to maintain her composure. He felt awful for making her cry. But he just didn’t know what he was supposed to do. Then he saw Potter come in and of course he sat down next to Ginny and let her cry on his shoulder. He could tell that Potter was whispering consolations to her while he let her cry. That was all right. However, when Potter brushed a kiss across the top of her head, Draco’s blood began to boil. Fearing that he would hex Potter at any moment, he stomped out of the Great Hall.

Draco was stomped down the hall ignoring everyone around him. He wasn't really sure where he was going. He ended up outside of Snape’s office. Figuring it must be fate, he knocked and waited to see if he would be invited inside.

Snape’s voice rang out. “Come in.”

Draco opened the creaky door, and walked in to face his collaborator from the war. Without preamble, he asked, “How do you know when you are in love?”

Snape just looked at him for a moment before he answered. “If the person you think you love was suddenly to disappear, how would you react? Would you be sad and then move on? Or, would you feel that life was no longer worth living?”

Draco frowned. “Bloody hell, I would feel that life was no longer worth living.”

Snape smiled a rare smile. “Then, you are in love.”

Draco sat heavily in a chair. “I see.” He looked up at Snape. “Can I use your fire to Floo home? There is something I need from Malfoy Manor.”

Snape gestured towards the floo and watched as Draco disappeared into the green flames. He graded a few dismal essays, and then watched as Draco Flooed back into his office. “Did you find what you needed?”

Draco nodded. “Yes, I did. Thank you.”

With an air of determination, Draco went in search of Ginny. He found her in Professor McGonagall’s class. Walking up to the professor, he explained his plan and she gave him a look of approval before announcing, “Miss Weasley, would you come up here please?”

Ginny looked at the amusement on Professor McGonagall’s face and wondered what Draco was up to. When she reached the front of the class, he took her hand and pulled her off to the side where they had some relative privacy. “Ginny, I thought about what you said, and you were right. We should discuss where our relationship is heading. The thought of living the rest of my life without you is appalling.” Draco stopped talking for a moment and pulled something out of his pocket.

Ginny was stunned at the sight of the emerald ring he held up for her. “This ring comes from my mother’s side of the family. It was her mother’s engagement ring. I was hoping you would honor me by wearing it and agreeing to become my wife.”

Draco wasn’t sure if the tears sliding down Ginny’s face were a good thing or a bad thing. When she shrieked yes and jumped into his arms, he figured he had his answer. Draco felt moisture on his own face, but he refused to believe that he could possibly be crying. Ginny must have transferred her tears to his face when he kissed her. It was the only logical explanation.

Ginny let go of him for a moment. He slipped the ring on her finger. They were both oblivious to the cries and gasps of astonishment that were popping up throughout the classroom. After a heated kiss, they did hear Professor McGonagall clear her throat. Ginny flushed red, and Draco chuckled. “I guess you have to get back to class. I’ll meet you for lunch.”

Ginny nodded and started to walk back to her seat when Professor McGonagall spoke. “Ginny, come here please.”

Ginny turned towards the front of the class to see her teacher smiling at her. She walked up to her and laughed as the older woman whispered, “I want to see that ring.”

Ginny held out her hand, and Professor McGonagall smiled. “That is beautiful dear. Now, let’s see if we can’t get a little work done before class is over.”

News of their engagement spread like wildfire before lunch. Ron met Ginny in the entrance to the Great Hall with a pleading look on his face.
“Is it true?"

Ginny smiled radiantly as she held out her hand. Ron groaned as if in great pain. Ginny leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “He makes me happy, Ron.”

“I suppose that is something,” Ron muttered as he headed in to take his seat.

Draco stepped out from where he had been watching her. “Care to eat at my table today?” he asked nonchalantly.

“I suppose I will be part Slytherin by marriage,” Ginny teased as she let him lead her to a shell shocked looking table of Slytherins.
The End.
CCC is the author of 47 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked Manipulating a Malfoy also liked 1410 other stories.
Leave a Review