It’s Never That Simple

Chapter Four

It had been thirteen months since the Warrens sold their house. Ginny and Annabelle had moved to a reasonably sized flat in Diagon Alley and Steve to an apartment in Boston. Annabelle had adjusted reasonably well to the situation, considering she rarely saw her father. Ginny and Steve had become even better friends after the divorce, allowing Annabelle to feel secure and safe at both her parents’ homes.

Ginny’s family had been incredibly supportive, after the initial tidal wave of fury that almost resulted in serious physical harm for Steve. Between all of her sisters-in-law and Mrs. Weasley, Ginny never failed to find a babysitter, which was very helpful as she now had to work to complement the child support Steve sent every month.

All in all, Ginny could not have been happier with their new arrangement. Well, she could have been happier, but that, she supposed, is the way the cookie crumbles.

***

"Are you hungry, darling?" Ginny asked, looking down at her daughter whose pudgy hand was clutched in one of her own hands. Ginny and Annabelle had been shopping for summer clothes since early that morning and Ginny could tell that Annabelle was starting to fade.

Annabelle nodded tiredly, her thumb going to her mouth. Ginny sighed. "Thumb," she said sharply and Annabelle immediately removed it from her mouth, giving her mother a sheepish look.

"Thorry, Mummy," she said softly. Ginny smiled and gave Annabelle’s hand a quick squeeze.

"It’s alright, dear. Now, where would you like to eat for dinner?"

"Crothed Wandth!" Annabelle exclaimed excitedly, jumping up and down.

Ginny laughed and began to make her way to Crossed Wands Café. Crossed Wands Café was a relatively new establishment in Diagon Alley that specialized in everything from the intimate romantic setting, to the family fun and games atmosphere. They had a menu that had something for every taste, whether it was the child-approved and reasonably priced, or the sophisticated and exorbitantly expensive. It was, in a phrase, the solution to all dining problems.

"Good evening, ma’am," the host said jovially when they had reached the Café. "Will it just be two for this evening."

"Yes, please," Ginny said, keeping a firm grip on Annabelle’s hand. She seemed to have forgotten how tired she was supposed to be and was now excited to the point of bouncing on the balls of her small feet.

"Will that be inside or outside?" he asked, picking up two menus, with a smile.

"Well, Annabelle?" Ginny asked, looking down at the excited girl at her side. "What will it be?"

"Outthide!" Annabelle said excitedly. "Then we can watch people thop!"

Ginny and the host laughed. "You heard the girl," Ginny said happily. "Outside it is."

The host began to weave his way through the tables, most of which were empty. Ginny internally congratulated herself. They had managed to come between the lunch and dinner rushes, which would mean the service would be prompt and their meal unhurried.

"Will this do, ma’am?" the host asked when they had reached an empty table.

Ginny nodded. "This is fi…" She trailed off. For the second time in a year Ginny was staring dumbstruck at a table for two across the patio. The host looked at her curiously, clearly not understanding why she had suddenly stopped talking. Time seemed to stop for a split second before Ginny managed to mutter an excuse, grab Annabelle’s hand, and hurry from the restaurant. As she reached the door, Ginny glanced over her shoulder, her heart beating somewhere in the vicinity of her throat.

Brown eyes met gray as Draco Malfoy looked away from the woman seated across the table. Ginny turned on her heal and hurried out of the Café.

***

Ginny spent the next week in a haze. She went about her daily activities as she normally would, with one minor difference. After putting Annabelle to bed each night, Ginny generally settled down on the couch with a book, Flooed family members and friends, or took a hot bath before going to bed. Now, however, Ginny spent every spare moment she had combing The Daily Prophet for information regarding Draco Malfoy.

Not that she admitted that she was, in fact, searching for information about Draco Malfoy. No, she was simply catching up on her current events. And if she happened to spend most of her combing time reading the society pages and she just happened to toss the paper away in anger after failing to find any references to Draco Malfoy…well, that was simply a coincidence.

At least, that’s what she told herself.

***

Ginny smiled as she watched Annabelle chase the birds on the piazza adjacent to Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor. She had just finished eating her peanut butter and strawberry ice cream sundae and had begged Ginny to let her play with the birds. Laughing, Ginny had consented and, ten minutes later, was still seated at their table watching as the birds refused to be caught by her daughter.

"Is this seat taken?" a voice said from over her shoulder.

"No," Ginny said automatically, thinking that the man wanted to use the chair.

"Good," he said, sitting down. Ginny turned to tell him that he could bloody well sod off, when her breath caught in her throat and her heart stopped beating in her chest. When it resumed beating less than a second later, it was beating at twice its normal rate.

"It’s good to see you again, Ginny Weasley," Draco Malfoy said, a smirk on his face. "Or should I say ‘Warren’?"

Ginny continued to stare at him in shock. When she found her voice she managed to squeak, "I went back to Weasley after the divorce."

Draco stared at her. "Divorce?" he repeated. "Things didn’t work out with Warren?"

Ginny snorted in a decidedly unladylike manner; Draco successfully hid his smile. "Yeah, they worked out alright. That’s why we got a divorce," she said, sarcasm lacing her voice.

Draco leaned back in his chair. They sat in silence for a few minutes. Ginny’s bottom lip was caught between her lips, which Draco knew from personal experience was a bad sign.

"So what about you, Malfoy?" Ginny asked quietly, breaking the silence. "Are you married?"

Draco shook his head.

"Same old, Draco," Ginny said, angrily brushing the hair out of her face. "One taste of a serious girl and you’re back to some cheap slag."

"Excuse me," he said slowly after a moment’s pause, "but that did not make any sense."

"I saw you with that slag at Crossed Wands," Ginny accused.

"I believe that is the second time that you have accused Brielle of being a cheap slag. My cheap slag, if I’m not mistaken."

"Oh, is that what she calls herself?" Ginny spat with contempt that was completely unlike her.

Draco stared at her for a moment, then laughed. "You’re jealous."

"I am not jealous," Ginny said indignantly. "Just because I happened to see you romancing some bint after you said you’d always love me-"

"What right do you have to be angry with me, Ginny?" Draco asked, his tone clearly filled with barely restrained fury. "I haven’t seen you in over seven years. In that time, you have married another man and had his child."

"The point is that I’ve been doing just fine without you, Draco Malfoy," Ginny said loudly before standing up and walking quickly away.

"That wasn’t the point at all," Draco said, shaking his head, a soft smile on his face as he watched Ginny take her daughter’s hand and leave Florean Fortescue’s. He laughed quietly, an odd glint in his eye, before heading back to his office; he had work to do.

***

"Mummy!" Annabelle cried, skidding to a stop before Ginny. "Thomeone’th at the door."

Ginny sighed as she put down her newspaper and unfolded herself from the couch. She had finally found Draco in the society section. He was appearing at some Ministry benefit with Brielle on his arm. According to the caption, Draco had recently been promoted to Head of International Magical Cooperation.

"Aren’t you supposed to be in bed, young lady?" Ginny asked, eyeing her daughter.

Annabelle grinned sheepishly. "I wath thirthty?"

Ginny shook her head. "No, try again." She glanced at her watch. "Bed. Now," she said, her tone brooking no argument. With a distinct droop to her shoulders, Annabelle turned around and went back into her room. Ginny watched her go, a soft smile on her face.

Thump. Thump.

"I’m coming!" Ginny yelled as she walked to the door. "What?" she snapped as she yanked the door open.

Draco smirked at her. "You are one hard woman to track down." Ginny stared at him in shock. "Aren’t you going to invite me in?" Draco drawled cheekily. It seemed to snap Ginny back into reality because she hissed, "No!" and pulled the door shut behind her.

"Fine, we can talk in the corridor. Ginny-"

"Save it, Malfoy," Ginny snapped, her hands on her hips. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Draco shoved his hands in his pockets, still smirking. "Isn’t it quite obvious, Ginny girl?"

Ginny visibly winced. "Don’t," she said through clenched teeth, "call me that, Malfoy."

"But I thought you liked it," Draco said, gathering a rebellious Ginny in his arms. She tried to fight him off, but it was as useless as ever. "Ginny girl," he murmured against her lips before kissing her thoroughly.

Ginny sighed and melted into the kiss. It was bliss. She couldn’t remember the last time she had been kissed this thoroughly nor enjoyed it quite this much. Steve certainly never kissed her like this. Come to think of it, the last time she had been kissed like this was the last time she had seen Draco. It was the day she told him about Annabelle…

Ginny placed her hands firmly on Draco’s chest and pushed. Hard. Caught off guard, Draco stumbled backwards, a shocked look on his face. He didn’t have time to gather himself before Ginny’s hand connected with his cheek.

Draco’s hand flew to his cheek, which was quickly turning bright red, as he continued to stare at Ginny. She was breathing heavily, her cheeks were red and her hair mussed, and her hands were balled into fists at her sides. She looked both thoroughly kissed, and thoroughly pissed.

"Don’t you dare…you have no right…never again…" Ginny spluttered.

"What are you more angry about," Draco shot back, "the fact that I kissed you or the fact that I was right?"

"What the hell are you on about?" Ginny snapped angrily, her eyes sparking dangerously.

"You’re right where you didn’t want to be, Ginny. You’re raising your daughter by yourself while Warren’s gallivanting around in the States."

"For your information, Steve takes excellent care of Annabelle. She spends two weeks with him during the summer and she celebrates this ridiculous American holiday with his family in the autumn and he comes to England for her birthday every year. So I’m not raising her alone, Malfoy."

"Drop the act, Ginny," Draco said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "You’re fucking miserable."

"I’m not," Ginny said, her voice hitching in her throat. She tried to clear it. "I’m not," she tried again, tears pricking the back of her eyes.

"Yes, you are, Ginny girl," Draco said gently, wrapping his arms around her.

"No," she said, trying and failing to push him away. "Don’t call me that," she sobbed in his shoulder.

"Shh," Draco said, holding her tightly and attempting to soothe her.

"Mummy?"

Ginny and Draco shot apart. Annabelle stood in the doorway in her nightgown, a confused scowl on her face. Ginny hurriedly wiped her eyes and smiled a rather forced smile at her daughter.

"Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?" she asked tightly. Draco stood awkwardly to the side, his hands shoved in his pockets.

Annabelle nodded. "Mummy, why are you crying?"

Ginny glanced at Draco before replying, as casually as she could, "I’m not crying, silly. I had something in my eye."

Annabelle switched her gaze to Draco. "Who’th he, Mummy?"

Ginny gave Draco a panicked looked. He rolled his eyes and squatted down so he could look Annabelle in the eye. "Hello, squirt," he said softly. "My name is Draco Malfoy. I’m an old mate of your mum’s. What’s your name?"

"Annabelle Belita Warren," Annabelle responded suspiciously. "What were you doing with my mummy?"

"We were just talking. I haven’t seen your mummy since before you were born."

Ginny had to hide a smile behind her hand. Draco, a man Ginny never imagined to have a single paternal bone in his body, was crouched down in front of her daughter and was actually conversing with her. And they looked good together. Ginny couldn’t help the tiny flutter in her stomach she felt as she watched her daughter and the man she loved together … er, used to love.

"Alright, you two," Ginny said, finally ending their intense conversation. "Annabelle, you were supposed to be in bed half an hour ago. Say goodnight to Mr. Malfoy."

"Goodnight, Mithter Malfoy," Annabelle said, taking Ginny’s hand and walking back into the flat.

"Goodnight, Annabelle," Draco said with a smile, earning a smile from Annabelle in return.

"Will you read me a thtory?" Draco could hear Annabelle asking.

"No, sweetheart. It’s time to go to sleep now."

When Ginny returned from Annabelle’s room she found Draco sitting on her couch, his feet propped up on the coffee table, acting as though he owned the world, or at least the living room and all its contents.

"And what exactly do you think you’re doing?" she asked, her hands going immediately to her hips.

"I’m waiting for you, obviously. We aren’t quite finished yet."

"Oh, really?" Ginny asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes," he said simply.

"What if I said that I was finished with you?"

"I’d say that’s too fucking bad!" Draco retorted angrily.

"Watch your language," Ginny hissed, casting a worried look towards Annabelle’s room. "And keep it down, for God’s sake."

Draco took a deep breath to calm himself. "It is polite to ask your guests if they would like a drink," he commented dryly.

"Fine," Ginny huffed before stomping off to the kitchen. "What would you like?"

"Anything with a higher alcohol content than Butterbeer," Draco called, still managing to keep his voice low.

"I don’t have anything with a higher alcohol content than Butterbeer."

"What do you have?"

"Pumpkin juice."

Draco groaned. "You’re kidding me, right?" he asked as he entered the kitchen.

"No," Ginny snapped. "I have a seven year old daughter. I don’t want her getting into anything that she shouldn’t."

Draco stared at her. "Pumpkin juice it is."

Ginny poured them each a glass before leading the way back into the living room. Draco sat down in the middle of the couch. After a pointed look from Draco, Ginny sat down as far from Draco as she could. As soon as she was seated, Draco moved closer to her so that their knees were touching.

"You have a daughter," he said after several minutes of silence.

Ginny nodded. "Annabelle," she said quietly. "I couldn’t imagine my life without her."

Draco nodded. "She has a lisp," he commented.

"So?" Ginny said, immediately on the defensive. "She’s incredibly bright and beautiful and special and…"

She stopped talking when Draco covered her mouth with his finger. "Shh, Ginny girl," he all but whispered. "I never said it was a bad thing, although you might want to look into speech therapy when she gets a bit older."

"What happened between you and Steve?" he continued after taking a sip of his juice.

Ginny sighed and resigned herself to a long conversation. "He had an affair with his secretary, then moved to the States."

"Bloody wanker," Draco seethed to himself. Ginny hid her smile by taking a drink from her glass. "He cheated on you? Is he blind?"

Ginny shrugged. "He just got tired of me not loving him back, I suppose. But we’re still friends. Annabelle doesn’t really understand it, but I suppose children never do. I mean, she’s adjusted very well, considering. She was just a little confused at first."

"Are you still convinced that you did the right thing?" Draco asked, downing the rest of his pumpkin juice.

"Yes," Ginny said without hesitation. "If we hadn’t gotten married Annabelle wouldn’t be as comfortable with Steve as she is. And he would have missed so much…her first steps…her first words…And my mother is taking the divorce a lot better than she would take a child out of wedlock."

Draco nodded and got up to refill his glass. When he came back, he sat on the couch and they continued to drink in silence. This time, it was Ginny who broke the silence.

"How did you find me?" Ginny asked curiously, setting her glass down on the coffee table.

Draco shrugged. "I asked around." Ginny’s raised eyebrow caused Draco to sigh. "I have quite a bit of influence at the Ministry. I was recently promoted to-"

"Head of International Magical Cooperation," Ginny finished for him, blushing slightly. "I read it in the newspaper," she said, gesturing to the discarded paper.

"Why, Ms. Weasley," Draco drawled. "One would think you’ve been trying to find me in the paper."

Ginny’s blush deepened. "No, I was just catching up on my news. You just happened to be in the paper today."

Draco’s smirk broadened. "If you say so."

"I do, thank you very much," Ginny said, practically jumping off the couch and running into the kitchen to refill her glass.

"So, who is Brielle," Ginny asked from the kitchen. She couldn’t help the look that crossed her face. She had already started thinking of a nickname along the lines of Phlegm.

"Brielle is the French ambassador to the Ministry. We met when I was the British ambassador to the French ministry. We are very good friends," he added.

When Ginny turned around, Draco was standing right in front of her. She swallowed. "Did you, er, want some more pumpkin juice?" she whispered, staring at his throat.

"No," Draco said, stepping closer to her.

"I might have some, er, well, something to eat. If you’re hungry."

"I’m not hungry," Draco said, stepping forward again.

"What do you want, then?" Ginny said, her voice barely audible. She was now trapped against the kitchen counter and Draco’s body. He was standing so close to her that she could smell his cologne. Without thinking, she inhaled deeply, her eyes closed. She could almost feel his smirk.

"You," he whispered into her ear causing shivers to run up and down her spine.

"Draco," Ginny moaned as Draco kissed her. After several minutes of heavy snogging, Ginny managed to break away from him. They were both breathing heavily. "We can’t," she panted. "Annabelle is down the hall."

Draco nodded. "I should go."

"Yes," Ginny responded, stepping away from him and walking to the door. Draco shrugged on his cloak and followed her to the door.

"I’m going to see you again," Draco said firmly.

"I’d like that," Ginny said with a small smile.

"Lunch tomorrow?"

"I’d like that," she said again.

"I know. Crossed Wands at noon. Don’t be late."

***

"Good afternoon, ma’am," the maitre d’ said with a smile. "May I help you?"

"Oh, I’m meeting someone," Ginny said only slightly nervously.

"Do you have a reservation?"

"I think so. Malfoy, perhaps?"

"Oh!" the maitre d’ exclaimed. "Ms. Weasley! Follow me, please," he said leading the way through a maze of tables. "Mr. Malfoy is waiting for you."

"Mr. Malfoy," the maitre d’ said with a bow when they had reached the table. "Ms. Weasley is here."

"Yes," Draco said, standing up from the table, his eyes riveted on Ginny. Ginny blushed furiously and looked at…well, anything but Draco. "That will be all for now," he added, a clear dismissal to the maitre d’, who bowed and left them.

"Allow me," he said, pulling out her chair.

"So, what’s good?" Ginny asked after Draco had reseated himself and they had been sitting in silence for a few minutes.

Draco raised an eyebrow and stared at her. "Well, I mean, I know what I like, but, er, I mean, what do you like?" she finished with a blush.

"Nervous, Ginny girl?" Draco asked with a smirk.

"Yes…I mean, no…I mean…bollocks," Ginny muttered causing Draco to laugh. "It’s just that we’ve never been on a real date and this is our first time together in public and yes, it’s a little nerve-wracking."

Draco put down his menu and laughed. "You’re kidding, right? Ginny, we shagged every Friday night for half a year. It’s not like we don’t know each other."

"I know that," Ginny whispered furiously, a blush staining her cheeks. "But I suppose that I’m so used to all the bloody secrecy that I feel like at any second Ron or your father is going to jump out from behind that potted plant and yell ‘Gotcha!’"

Draco shook his head sadly. "Just order, Ginny girl."

***

"Harry?" Ginny called, craning her head as much as she could from her position in the fireplace.

"Yeah?" Harry asked, walking into view with a towel around his waist.

"Bad time?" Ginny asked, already pulling her head back.

"No, it’s fine. Let me just get dressed. D’you want to come over?"

"If I could."

"Sure, give me ten minutes."

"No problem!" Ginny said cheerily before pulling her head out of the fire.

Ginny sat back on her heels with s smile on her face. She was dying to tell Harry about Draco.

"Annabelle! We’re going to Uncle Harry’s for a bit. Get the toys together that you want to play with."

***

"So," Harry asked with a smile, "what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Nothing special. I haven’t seen you in a bit and I thought we could chat. How’s Sally?"

"She’s fine," Harry said, hiding his smile.

"Any plans for the future?"

"You’re beginning to sound like your mother," he commented dryly.

Ginny laughed. "At least you don’t get disapproving glares every time she sees you. It’s like I’m the failure of the family."

"Is that what you wanted to talk about?" Harry asked suddenly.

"What makes you think I want to talk about anything in particular?" Ginny asked suspiciously.

"Because you’ve been looking shifty since you got here," Harry responded idly. "Is it about Steve?" he prompted. Ginny shook her head. "Annabelle? Your mum? Work?"

"It’s about Draco," Ginny interrupted before sipping her tea.

"Malfoy, eh?" Harry mused as he leaned back in his chair. "I should have seen that coming. I mean, he just got back from France. You two were bound to bump into each other."

"We did," Ginny interrupted his musings. "Twice. And then he hired a private investigator to track me down."

"And?" Harry asked, a small smile on his face.

"And," Ginny continued, unable to stop her own lips from curling into a smile. "That was about a month ago and we’ve been dating since."

"Cheers!"

"Yes, well…I’m not mad, right, Harry?" Ginny asked earnestly.

"Of course you’re a bit mad, Gin Gin," Harry said affectionately.

"Seriously, Harry. Am I mad to give us another go?"

Harry shook his head. "I think you’re mad to be in love with Draco Malfoy, but I think you should have your head examined if you don’t give it another go."

"Why would I have my head examined?" Ginny asked curiously.

"It’s a Muggle expression," Harry explained quickly. "The point is," Harry continued loudly, "you’re not mad to give it another go, Gin Gin."

"Good!" Ginny said happily. "Then can you help me tell my parents?"

***

"Mum, Dad," Ginny said nervously, twisting her hands in her lap. Next to her, Harry grabbed one of her hands and gave it a quick squeeze. Feeling slightly braver knowing that Harry, at least, was on her side, Ginny looked her parents straight in the eyes and said it.

"I’m seeing someone."

Mrs. Weasley stared at her before saying slowly, "What?"

"She said she’s seeing someone, Molly," Mr. Weasley said quietly, carefully examining his daughter.

"Don’t be stupid, Arthur," Mrs. Weasley snapped irritably. "Ginny’s not stupid enough to bring another man into Annabelle’s life and ruin any chance she has of getting back together with Steve."

Ginny groaned. "I am not ever going to get back together with Steve, Mum," she managed to bite out through gritted teeth.

"And why not?" Mrs. Weasley asked indignantly.

"Because I love Draco," Ginny said loudly, standing up so suddenly that her chair fell over. Ignoring it she continued heatedly, "I’ve loved him since I was sixteen and he loves me and after twelve years we finally have a chance to make things work and I’m not going to blow it simply because you want me to get back together with a man that’s only qualification is that he’s the father of my child!"

"That’s a very significant qualification, Ginevra!"

"Not significant enough for me to throw my happiness away and raise my daughter in a loveless home!"

By this point, both Ginny and Mrs. Weasley were on their feet, hands balled into fists at their sides, and breathing heavily. Mr. Weasley took the sudden lull in the yelling competition as an opportunity to clear his throat and peer up at Ginny through his horn-rimmed glasses.

"Draco?" he repeated quietly. "As in Draco Malfoy?" Ginny tore her gaze away from her mother and nodded briefly. "And you’ve loved him since you were sixteen?" Ginny nodded again. "Explain to me why you married Steve."

"Because I was pregnant and I wanted to try to make things work with him. Needless to say, I failed miserably."

"Mr. and Mrs. Weasley," Harry said, speaking for the first time, "I have seen Ginny with and without Malfoy and she has never been happier than when she is with him."

Ginny smiled gratefully at Harry before turning her attention back to her mother. "I’m not asking your permission," she said quietly.

Without making eye contact, Mrs. Weasley nodded briefly and Ginny beamed at her.

***

Laughing quietly, Ginny unlocked the door to her flat and stepped aside. Smiling his thanks, Draco walked through the open door, a sleeping Annabelle in his arms. Ginny couldn’t help the broad grin that spread across her face at the sight. Sighing happily, Ginny followed them into the flat and closed the door behind her.

Draco was already waiting for her in Annabelle’s room. He laid her on her bed and stepped aside. As quietly as she could, Ginny successfully managed to change her daughter into her pajamas. Despite her stealth, however, Annabelle woke up just as Ginny was pulling the blankets up to her chin.

"Where’th Draco?" she mumbled through the haze of sleep.

"Shh, sweetheart," Ginny whispered soothingly, "go back to sleep."

Annabelle shook her head stubbornly. "I want to thee Draco," she said slightly louder, apparently successfully maneuvering her way out of the fog. Ginny sighed and looked over her shoulder at Draco who was casually leaning against the doorframe. The pleading look Ginny sent his way was more than enough to inspire to Draco to cross the room and sit on the edge of Annabelle’s bed.

"I’m here, squirt," Draco said quietly, finishing the job of securing the blankets around the small child’s shoulders.

Annabelle closed her eyes and smiled happily. "Goodnight, Draco," she mumbled sleepily. Draco kissed her lightly on the forehead before standing up and exiting the room, leaving Ginny to make sure Annabelle had everything else she needed.

Minutes later, Ginny appeared in the living room to find Draco comfortably stretched out on the couch.

"She’s asleep," Ginny said quietly, moving to sit on the coffee table in front of the couch.

Draco stood up and stretched languidly, his eyes firmly fixed on Ginny’s face. Smiling coyly, she stood up, her body barely touching his. As she began to toy with the buttons on his shirt, not quite meeting his eyes, Draco smirked down at her and his hands settled on her waist. A small sigh escaped her lips and her hand slid up his chest to curl at the base of his head, the gentle pressure pulling his lips to hers.

After a soft kiss that promised so much more, Draco pulled away, a regretful smile on his face.

"I should go, Ginny girl," he whispered softly, his thumb tracing her lips.

"Just for a bit longer."

Ginny felt rather than heard him laugh shakily. "If I stay for a bit longer, I won’t leave for a lot longer," Draco reminded her gently.

Ginny nodded in agreement before pulling him down for another drugging kiss. Once again, it was Draco that pulled away. "Annabelle," he said in a strangled voice.

"Bollocks," Ginny muttered pulling away. She smiled apologetically. "I wish you could stay."

"I do too," Draco agreed, "but we have to keep up appearances for Annabelle." He couldn’t help the bitter note in his voice. "You still haven’t explained things to her?"

"It’s a very delicate subject, Draco," Ginny responded exasperatedly. They had been over this countless times. "There isn’t a difference between a bloke who’s my friend, and a bloke who I’m dating to a seven year-old."

"I realize that, Ginny, but you’re going to have to talk about it eventually. Your entire family knows-"

"Steve doesn’t know," Ginny said bluntly.

Draco swore under his breath. "Are you telling me that you’re still living your life to please that bugger? Ginny, he cheated on you."

"Thank you for that wonderful walk down memory lane," Ginny snapped irritably.

Draco sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I don’t want to fight about this," he said quietly after a few moments of silence.

Ginny nodded in agreement. "Me neither."

"Marry me," Draco said suddenly, his face completely serious and his eyes a shade of gray Ginny had never seen before. She stared at him in shock.

"I…I’m sorry?" she asked nervously, thinking that she had misheard him.

"I said ‘marry me,’" Draco responded quietly, still staring intently at her. "There’s a difference between a bloke you’re friends with and your husband to a seven year-old."

"Oh, Draco," Ginny sighed, "I can’t." Pause. "I didn’t realize that you felt this way about-"

Draco stared at her in disbelief. "About us?" he interrupted. "How the hell did you think I felt? I waited for you for seven years, Ginny. It’s always been you."

"I didn’t realize we were headed down that path," Ginny tried again.

Draco stared at her for a moment, his eyes cold and calculating. Then, he nodded curtly and put on his traveling cloak.

"I want to make one thing perfectly clear," he said quietly. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I’ve wanted to spend the rest of my life with you for seven years now. I didn’t walk back into your life for a fling, Ginny girl.

"If you don’t want to marry me now, you will never want to marry me. If I walk out this door right now, then we’re through. I won’t let you drag me along for another few months, then leave me to mend my broken heart for the third time. I still have my pride."

When she didn’t answer, Draco sighed and moved to the door. When his hand was on the doorknob, he stopped. "The funny thing is," Draco said without a trace of humor in his voice, "that you married a man you didn’t love, but you won’t marry the man that you do love."

"It’s not that simple," Ginny said, her voice tearful and pleading. "Draco, please…"

Draco shook his head sadly. "We were so close this time, Ginny girl," he said, his voice laden with regret. "So close."

Leave a Review