Title: Sweet Emotions
Name: rainpuddle13
Rating: Not Naughty
Characters/Ships: Liam Malfoy
Word Count: 414
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Notes: For tigereyes320 - Amici ed Amanti a time in the future when Liam holds his firstborn

Summary: A father bonds with his brand new baby.

He was not prepared for this day, not even after nearly ten years of marriage and many long discussions, a row or two, a major disappointment, and a good bit of nattering from his mother.

Liam had not wanted to give up his comfortable lifestyle. He enjoyed dropping everything to go off on long weekends that turned into the occasional week or month long holiday if he really liked the place. Now those happy times were to be no more, but he found himself not minding all that much now.

A new sort of contentment settled into his bones, like he’d been waiting for this all his life and just didn’t know it. He’d held many babies in lifetime – his sisters, cousins, his brother’s children – and not one of them had made him feel this way. His father had told him time and time again that holding his own child would make a difference. And for once, he wasn’t loathe to admit his father was correct.

He just couldn’t get over how tiny the two-hour old baby was in his arms. Tiny, but perfect in every single way – ten little toes on squirmy little feet and ten little fingers on surprisingly strong hands. He couldn’t get over how adorable the chubby little cheeks and puckered rosebud mouth were. Surely his baby was the most adorable baby ever to live.

His mum watched tearfully from the doorway of his bedchamber for a few moments, he’d seen her in the corner of his eye, before disappearing into the darkened corridor without a word. She’d been there for him through this whole experience, patiently answering all of his questions, no matter how silly or embarrassing, and quietly assuaging his fears.

The baby stretched and yawned, cracking open blue eyes that seem to look right into his soul. Liam’s breath caught in his throat. He knew in that instant that having this baby was the single most important thing he’d ever done in his life.

He brushed his lips tenderly against the downy crown the baby’s head, muttering comforting sweet nothings until the baby settled against his chest. He looked up at his wife, a prickle of tears glistening in his eyes, and mouthed, “thank you.”

“Well,” she asked, sounding mighty pleased with herself, “what to do you think?”

Liam made a funny face at the sleeping baby in his arms, and said with a voice thick with every emotion he was feeling, “I think I’m in love.”
Leave a Review