“You look wonderful, Gin!” Draco exclaimed as he admired his girlfriend.

“Thank you, Draco.” Ginny colored up prettily. Thank Belenos her cheeks just went pink! Her brothers’ faces went all blotchy whenever embarrassed or flattered.

Hajime beamed at them both. “You must be Ginevra,” he nodded to Ginny and spoke in perfect English. “Young Mr. Malfoy speaks highly of you.”

Draco hid a small smile, knowing his employer was in for a surprise.

Sô desu ka?” Ginny’s eyes twinkled as she smiled at Hajime. Then, she bowed gracefully in true Japanese fashion. “Nekomi Hajime-san desu ka? Atashi wa Weasley Ginevra desu; demo, adana wa Ginny desu, ne. Hajimemashite? Yoroshiku o-negai shimasu, Nekomi-san.”

“I should have remembered that you’re my cousin’s research assistant!” Hajime laughed ruefully as he shook hands with Ginny. “Your Japanese is lovely, Ginny.”

“Thank you,” Ginny replied politely. “Your cousin deserves all the credit for that. Amihan’s a great language teacher.”

“Yes, and both you and Draco are a credit to her.”

Draco cleared his throat to get their attention. “Sorry to intrude,” he apologized. “But perhaps you’d find your conversation more enjoyable over a spot of lunch?”

“Of course.” Hajime looked thoughtful. He turned to Ginny, inquisitively. “Have you ever had Japanese food, Ginny-chan?”

“A few times,” Ginny nodded. “My eldest brother once took me to this little sushi bar in Muggle London.” She beamed at Draco. “And, for our first date, Draco took me over to Nobu.”

Hajime’s eyes widened at that. “He took you to Nobu?” he exclaimed. When Ginny nodded, he whistled, obviously impressed. “The man’s a Muggle, but he’s a real kitchen wizard!” He winked at Draco. “You, Draco-kun, obviously know how to impress a woman.”

Draco smiled. He remembered that date very well, but the way he asked Ginny out had been more memorable.

***

It was a couple of days before the Christmas break and all of Hogwarts buzzed with activity.

Since Voldemort’s death, Albus Dumbledore’s dream of unity among the four Houses had become a reality. If in the past the students of each House stayed with their own Housemates, it was a whole new ballgame now. Students sat with their friends regardless of their affiliations. Even the Slytherins who were the last to come around to it were seen flitting from table to table, chatting, eating, and doing homework with the others.

In the days following her breakup with Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley was usually seen in a thoroughly mixed company of witches. Most were a year older than she was and, in an odd twist of fate, Pansy Parkinson was one of her dearest friends. It was odd because Pansy’s ex was now openly courting the youngest Weasley.

Draco approached where Ginny and Pansy were and managed to overhear a rather tender and sensitive conversation.

“Do you mind terribly, Pansy?” Ginny asked her Slytherin friend. Draco stopped in his tracks, knowing that they could not see him. Their backs were turned towards him.

“Mind what, Gin?” Pansy busied herself with wrapping up presents.

“Um…” From where he stood, Draco could tell that Ginny was blushing. “Draco’s been paying attention to me.”

“I know. So does most of the school, by the way.” Pansy turned to her with the most sincere smile Draco had ever seen on her face. “I had a fit when I first found out,” she admitted. “But you’ve been such a good influence on him, so why should I mind? I’m happy for you, Gin.”

“But what about you, Pan?”

“Aw, don’t mind me! Lots of fish in the sea, my dear; I’ll find one, never fear.”

“That rhymed,” Draco drawled as he came to stand behind them. They looked up and both girls were grinning hugely. “Hallo, ladies. Mind if I join you?”

“Go ahead.” Ginny nodded him to a vacant place across from where she and Pansy sat. She blushed even pinker when he planted a kiss on the crown of her head as he made his way to his seat. “What was that for?”

“My way of saying good morning.” He grinned cheekily at her. He shook his head when he saw Pansy’s unevenly wrapped pile of presents. “Pan, for Belisama’s sake, that’s what gift-wrapping counters and servants are for!”

“Mind your own business, Draco!” Pansy snapped at him. She patted the pile fondly. “At least, I took the effort to do it myself.” She excused herself and carried the presents back to her dormitory.

When Pansy had gone, Draco felt the heat rise to his cheeks when Ginny gave him her attention.

“Are you all right?” she asked, her voice tinged with concern. “You’ve gone all red, Draco.”

He decided not to mince any words. “Come to lunch with me the day after tomorrow, Gin,” he told her. “Well, that is, if it’s all right with you.” The words spilled out of Draco like an unstoppable wave. “Um, if it’s all right, I’ll Floo your parents later and ask them. Have you ever had Japanese food? I hope you do. I made reservations at this posh new Japanese restaurant in Muggle London and wanted you to go with me. Do you like flowers? Roses and that sort of thing? Or would you rather have me bring – “

Ginny held her hand up to shut him up. Her face was serious, but the mirthful twinkle in her eyes betrayed her.

“You’re babbling,” she chided him.

“Um…” Draco lowered his gaze.

“I’d love to go with you.” When Draco looked up, the sweetest of smiles was on her face.

“You…you will?” He tried not to show it, but the way he gripped the edge of the table spoke volumes. It was all he could do to keep himself from turning cartwheels along the entire length of the Great Hall.

She nodded. Then, she leaned over to press her forehead lightly to his. “I’ll see you later,” she told him.

“Er, yeah.” He looked flustered as she walked away. Flustered, yes, but happy.

***

“Of course, you should have seen the look on her brother’s face when he saw us together,” Draco chortled. Beside him, Ginny was desperately trying to stifle her giggles. “He was as red and as angry as a Chinese Fireball on a rampage.”

“You’re not serious!” Hajime exclaimed.

“He is!” Ginny chimed in. “Ron came marching over to where he was sitting even before I’d left the Great Hall and started hurling hexes.”

“And they dueled?”

“Belenos, yes!” Draco was shaking his head at the memory. “The teachers ended up hauling both of us to the infirmary, seeing how I ended up jelly-legged and I made his front teeth grow to epic proportions.” He grinned wickedly. “Come to think of it, it was the same hex I threw at his girlfriend when we were in our fourth year.”

They all laughed. The three of them were finishing up a fine lunch of Kyôto specialties: sesame-flavored tofu, raw and grilled fish so fresh it still seemed to be breathing as they took bites, and vegetables picked just that morning from local gardens.

“You’ve had an exciting courtship,” Hajime told them.

“You don’t know half of it.” Ginny rolled her eyes as Draco put an arm about her waist. She playfully punched him in the arm.

“And we plan to settle down soon,” Draco said in a quiet voice.

“Do you?” When both nodded, Hajime sat back and regarded them thoughtfully. His eyes narrowed at them as if he was trying to see something. He must have seen something as his grin suddenly widened and he nodded.

“In that case,” he said, “why don’t we go pay the musubiya a visit soon as we’re done here?”

***

Shinju Seifuku saw them coming from where she stood by the window of her bakery-café: the tall blond gaijin boy who worked at the apothecary walked hand-in-hand with a petite red-haired beauty.

Hajime told her they would be coming over, that they would ask her advice for their wedding. She couldn’t see why, of course.

These gaijin are so ignorant, she thought, amused. She could see the knots in the red thread that streamed from the boy’s hand to the girl’s. With all those knots in the thread, they’re as good as married!

Nevertheless, she looked forward to meeting them. It wasn’t everyday that Kyôto’s greatest musubiya got called in for foreigners’ weddings.

Author notes: What Ginny Told Hajime: Ginny's Japanese dialogue is translated as "Is that so? You must be Hajime Nekomi. I'm Ginevra Weasley, but you can call me Ginny. How do you do? It's a pleasure to meet you."

On Belenos and Belisama: Belenos and Belisama are the chief god and goddess of the ancient French (Gallic) pantheon. In a 2003 interview at the Royal Albert Hall, JK Rowling said that the Malfoy surname came from the French phrase mal foi (pronounced "mal-fwah") or "bad faith". With that in mind, I assumed that Draco's ancestry is French.

Musubiya: The word means two things in Japanese. It can mean "wedding shop", a place where you can hire a wedding planner and buy all sorts of nuptial stuff. It can also mean "matchmaker", specifically one who can see, bind, or even cut the scarlet threads that bind true lovers together. In this story, musubiya means both.

Leave a Review