In the Gryffindor common room

“Harry? Why are you so stressed?” Ginny asked Harry curiously while staring at his sea-green eyes, his defined features lost underneath a mop of black hair.

“Because, Ginny, I seem to have lost my Potions assignment and I think I left it down in the Potions classroom.” Harry reluctantly faced the facts. He wasn’t going to find his Potions assignment in his bag.

Ginny jumped up. “I can go get it for you, Harry. I’ll just ask Snape; he’ll tolerate his favourite fifth year. All right?” Ginny said rather breathlessly.

“Really, Gin? You’d do that?” Harry asked.

“‘Of course, Harry. I wouldn’t want you to get in trouble, now, would I?” Ginny was on her feet and walking out the door.

“Wait, Gin! You can borrow my Invisibility Cloak. That way you won’t get into trouble, now, will you?” Ginny stumbled back through the portrait hole and the mess of the common room to Harry.

“Harry, I’m a Prefect. I won’t get into trouble, but I’ll keep my hood up!” With that she grabbed the Cloak, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and ran out of the common room, pulling the cloak over her body.

***

Draco was waiting for Potter to show up. He waited quietly in the shadows of the Potions corridor, listening for the familiar noise of a cloak. When he first heard footsteps, he didn’t know whether to hiss or put his foot out so that whoever it was would trip. He stopped himself from doing both, just in time to see a disembodied hand reach up to knock on the Potions classroom door. Draco suddenly had the idea to simply put a Petrifying charm on Potter. So he did.

“Fermata,” he whispered, causing the hand to stop in mid-motion and fall to the floor with a small thud. As he bent to pick up the hand, Draco marveled at how much lighter it felt than the average sixteen-year-old boy’s hand—but then again, this was Potter he was thinking about.

“Potter, you’re lighter than I would have thought,” he hissed.

Ginny wanted to scream but her lips were clamped shut by the Petrifying charm. A sudden drowsiness came over her. “No,” she thought, “don’t fall asleep! You don’t know where you’re going to end up!” Too late, she slowly slipped into a deep sleep.

Draco smiled to himself. He had just caught the great Harry Potter. Or so he thought. Looking about, he swiftly ducked into the dimness under the Invisibility Cloak and groped for the Portkey he had in his school uniform pocket. He swore, certain he had forgot it, when he finally found it, activated it, and felt the familiar sensation of his body being pulled along by his bellybutton.

When he arrived at the prison cells at Malfoy Manor, he placed the inert body in an empty cell, whipped the Invisibility Cloak off of himself and the other body, and without looking at Potter, paced out of the cell with a smirk plastered across his face. He slammed the cell door closed and turned to look through the barred opening at his prisoner.

Draco’s face fell. He had caught the girl weasel! Not Potter at all. Anger started to boil, destroying his happy emotions. He sat on the bench outside the cell door and waited, sulking.

During the remaining hours that the Fermata spell lasted on Ginny, he stared at her with disgust and malice. He thought about all he knew of her, because he knew they would both be here for a very long time.

***

Ginny woke from what seemed to be a really bad dream. She was trying to shift herself into a better position on what she thought was her bed when a rush of memories struck her. She remembered telling Harry that she would get his assignment, being hit by a curse she didn’t recognise, then falling into a deep sleep in Draco Malfoy’s arms.

Ginny sat bolt upright. “WHAT THE HELL!” she screamed when she saw the bars on the only window and on the cell door. But what scared her the most was that Draco Malfoy was staring in through those bars at her with anger, disgust, and malice.

“Oh, that’s what I would like to know. Ginny, is it? Well, then, I think we’re going to be getting to know each other very well because, unfortunately for you, you’re stuck here!” Draco’s voice was gradually getting louder and louder with every word. “Now,” he said calmly. “Why don’t you tell me what the HELL you were doing down in the Potions corridor and not in your tower? I was looking for Potter, not you, she-weasel!”

“Oh, yeah, I heard you were interested in Harry that way. What I didn’t know was how much your little crush has grown,” Ginny replied smoothly.

Draco stared with total shock at this—this girl. She was different from Potter and his gang; she was someone who could stand up for herself. This was going to be very interesting for him. Not wanting to put up with the she-weasel any longer, he cast a Sleeping charm on her.

Ginny fell asleep for the second time that night. At first she tried to fight the sleep, but the more she fought it, the hard it became. Eventually she gave in, but not without uttering a pithy last word: “Bastard!”

***

Ginny woke up to very strange surroundings. At first she saw nothing, but when she looked around she saw a very dimly lit corridor, cell bars, and—if her eyes weren’t fooling her—a very annoyed looking Draco Malfoy. This made her blush and also sent shivers throughout her body.

“What am I doing?” she thought. “This isn’t right. I’m not supposed to blush around Malfoy. He’s a ruthless and cruel bastard. Why is he even looking at me?” Against her will she admired the faint handsomeness of his aristocratic features and noticed the defined miscles that showed through his black silk shirt.

“I see that you’ve woken from your heavy sleep, no?” Draco commented. Even though she was a Weasley, he grudgingly admitted to himself that she looked quite fetching sitting there with her red hair tumbling around her shoulders.

“Oh, was it a heavy sleep?” Ginny worried, mortified about what she might have done while sleeping so deeply. “Because I’m usually a very light sleeper, and—”

“Weasley, everyone knows you snore so loud, you wake up the whole school,” he said, cutting her off.

“Oh. Wait, WHAT?” was all Ginny managed to exclaim as the big brass door at the end of the corridor banged open to reveal a very irritated Lucius Malfoy.

“Draco,” he barked after staring at Ginny for several long moments. “This is not Potter. This is, much to my disgust, a Weasley. Why, Draco, is she here instead of Potter?”

Draco shot from his bench. “Ah...well, Father, I was thinking that instead of catching Potter, maybe we should catch someone who knows him a lot better than we do.” Draco tried to sound convincing. “And seeing as this Weasley is utterly obsessed with him, I thought she’d be perfect.”

Ginny stared at him. He had obviously come up with this while she was asleep. The truth was that Draco had thought she was Harry, so he had accidentally brought her to this cell instead of Harry.

“All right, Draco, I think you have a point,” Lucius agreed grudgingly. “But I’m still disappointed to find you’ve caught a Weasley instead of Potter. Oh, and Draco, the house-elves will be coming down in about an hour to put everything in order as if you had captured Potter.” With that, he left. The brass door closed behind him with a loud bang.

After several awkward moments, Draco spoke first. “So, did you sleep well? Because there seemed to be a lot of ‘Harry, please, not in front of Ron,’ and ‘No, Harry, please make love to me all night!’” he said, using a voice three octaves above his normal pitch and sounding like a first year whose voice hadn’t yet changed.

Outraged by the question, she replied, “Oh, yes, thank you, but next time please refrain from placing a Sleeping charm on me. I was quite content to cry aloud.” She turned her back on him and sat down on the stone-cold cell floor.

They didn’t talk again until after the house-elves had set up a bed for Ginny and placed a food tray near the door for her. They left a food tray for Draco, as well, and a cozy blanket so he could cover himself when he got cold.

“I really don’t know you, Draco,” Ginny found herself saying. This seemed to trigger him out of his boredom; he’d done nothing but stare at the brass door ever since the house-elves had retreated back through it.

“No, you don’t seem to know me at all, do you, now? Maybe we can get acquainted later, because at the moment I feel hungry and I don’t want my food getting cold,” he said to her with a sneer.

“Whatever you say, dickhead,” Ginny retorted. She jumped into her bed; it had just been made and was extremely warm and comfortable, so she quickly and quietly fell asleep.


End of chapter

Author notes: thanks for reading. hope you enjoyed it. R&R

Leave a Review