Chapter 2: 'Down the Rabbit Hole' or 'What the Bloody Hell Am I Doing in a Corset?!'

Ginny took a quick shower, to rid herself of that afternoon's stink, pulled on an old Cannon's jersey and some striped, flannel bottoms. Staring at the book atop her bed, she began pacing the room. 'To read, or not to read...that is the...oh, heck, whatever!' She plopped down on her bed and opened the book to the title page.

Blank, again. She furiously flung the soggy towel from around her neck into a heap on her dresser. Then golden ink began to seep into the pages and spring up into crisp, swirling font.

Ginny squinted and tried to make out the words. Slowly, a message began to form: 'If you can read this, you're too close.' Ginny, puzzled, held the book arm's length away from herself. 'That's much better now,' the book wrote. She grimaced and waited for a new message to appear.

'Patience, Miss Ginevra,' the book inked slowly, and she grunted in response, as the book typed out an even longer message. Ginny sat the book in her lap, since her arms were tired, and began to read the latest entry.

If fun and games is what you seek
This is the wrong book, so to speak
But if you've longed for something more
Adventure, romance, and peril for sure
You've come to the right book
Where it's yours to decide
For everyone discovers different stories inside
Turn the page for a story you're bound to adore
(Or one that you're bound to dislike, I'm not sure)


Ginny felt her eyes go wide and her body begin to tremble and glow as the book flew out of her lap and perched in midair, spinning quickly as light burst forth from its seams. Her vision went blurry as she squinted in the light, her eyes tearing and her mind going numb.

*


Wham! She was sitting on a hard, expensive, Victorian couch. She sat up, rubbed her neck and back, and looked around. She was at the burrow, only...it wasn't the burrow. There was a soft fire in the fireplace, but the mantle was painted a soft ivory, and above it hung a fine painting that must have been worth more that she was.

There were flowers everywhere, and lace, and fancy furniture she could only have dreamed up. Ginny stood up from the couch and felt faint. Looking down she saw she was wearing soft slippers, draped in her long, deep emerald skirt, meeting at her empire dress waist, underneath her chest, which ordinarily would have appeared flat, if not for the...corset! She did collapse back onto the couch, the room spinning madly beneath her and around her.

The bun atop her head had a million pins and barrettes digging into her scalp. She felt bile rising in her throat. 'Where am I? Who am I? Why the hell am I wearing a bloody corset?!' She asked herself theses mad questions over and over again as the pain finally subsided and she took a deep breath.

Then all hell broke loose.

Four girls shuffled into the room, a flurry of dresses and ribbons and hair and handkerchiefs. Ginny sat up off the couch and stared dumbly back at...

Hermione...Luna...The Patil Twins?! They were here, too, and they seemed not the slightest bit disgruntled by their current, dire situation. Hermione was radiant in her soft lavender dress with real lavender flowers tucked into her chestnut ringlets. Luna was adorned in more of a pale blue, with her hair pulled back in a more severe bun at the nape of her neck. The Patil Twins stood between them, dressed in complete opposite colors but identical garb. Soft pink and light yellow, with their sleek, dark hair done up in an intricate style, with tiny rosebuds. Ginny felt she might choke up her spleen for gagging open-mouthed at her Hogwarts friends.

Finally, the four girls sat down beside Ginny on the couch, Luna, having buried her nose in a rather dull looking book and Parvati and Padma talking and giggling animatedly beside her. Hermione was the most beautiful of them all, and she leaned over to whisper in Ginny's ear, "Well, she's gone and done it. I expect he'll be here within the half hour."

Ginny was puzzled. Hermione gave her a comforting squeeze in the shoulder. "You know, Mr. Billius. Mum actually invited him over for a luncheon this afternoon." Ginny felt even more puzzled, but Hermione continued to beam down at her.

Ginny didn't know anyone named Billius, save Ron, her brother, but that was his middle name, and she couldn't imagine just why he would have to be invited to his own house. Just then, her father entered the room, wearing old English garb, and Ginny had a sudden coughing fit to cover up her sudden sniggering attack.

Mr. Weasley didn't look at all offended, let alone, aware of Ginny, and said in a most dignified manner. "Mr. Billius has arrived." Stepping in over the threshold, looking handsome for once in his life, was her brother, Ronald Billius Weasley, and Ginny felt she just might die at seeing him in his current attire.

"Good afternoon, ladies," he began with a courteous bow. "I am Ronald Billius, pleased to make your acquaintance." In a most undignified manner, Ginny slipped off the couch with a loud chuckle. The whole room turned to stare.

Ginny picked herself back up off of the floor and plopped herself back down on the couch with as much dignity as she could muster, smiling half-heartedly while fighting the heat rising in her face, while everyone else fidgeted uncomfortably around her, obviously as embarrassed as she.

Ronald, though slightly flustered, managed a small chuckle, as his face turned a deep red. Hermione, not wanting to ruin the afternoon, picked up on his chuckle and laughed graciously, sending them all into graceful laughter. Ginny finally joined in, feeling less awkward when she was being laughed with, and not at. Soon the laughter settled and they all turned their attention back to Mr. Billius.

He was glancing at his pocket watch, looking slightly upset. "I really must be going, I'm afraid. I spent a majority of this afternoon chatting with Mr. Weasley, and now I've gone and kept my realtor waiting. I'm purchasing the land right alongside yours. It really is a rather cozy spot. I hope to see you all at tonight's ball. I've heard it's in town, and I'm sure I don't want to miss the chance to fraternize with my new neighbors." He smiled at them then, his gaze lingering on Hermione, who was looking up at him dreamily.

'Was that a wink?' Ginny thought, as Ronald and Hermione gazed another moment at one another. Inwardly, Ginny felt she was gagging. Then, Mr. Billius had vanished into thin air--Apparated. Gone. Hermione gave a small, wistful sigh. Ginny gave a deep sigh of relief.

Luna still hadn't looked up from her book, and now the twins were discussing Mr. Billius' appearance and charm, among other things that caused Luna and Hermione to blush, but Ginny to giggle at.

Then Mr. Weasley smiled, oblivious to the sisters' conversation, and left the room, muttering about horses. Mrs. Weasley bustled into the room, looking flustered and practically on the verge of tears.

"Did he come? Did I miss him? Oh, heavens above, if I did miss him I shall die right on the spot! How on earth did that stupid maid keep me waiting this long?! Oh-"

"Sorry, mumma," Ginny said softly, not in the least bit sincere, "but he just left." Mrs. Weasley gave a big, shuddering sob, and collapsed into a chair. It was Ginny's turn to feel flustered. What on earth had happened to her mother?

"It appears Ginny might have scared him off-"

"With her big mouth-"

"And even bigger bum!-"

Parvati and Padma were rattling off, finishing each other's sentences. Hermione, sensing that their "helpful inputs" would do their mother's condition no good, quickly added, "But he's attending the ball tonight, and I think he may be bringing with him some of his friends."

"I didn't hear him say that," Luna said sharply, surprising Ginny, who was beginning to think the girl mute. "How would you know?"

Hermione blushed, but said nothing. Mrs. Weasley sat up and asked hopefully, "Friends, did you say? Do you suppose them to be rich?-"

"And handsome," Parvati added.

"And don't forget single," Padma piped in.

"Oooh, marvelous," Mrs. Weasley cried.

"I suppose you would think so," Luna said dully, flipping a page in her book.

"Oh, heavens, it’s getting late! We must be getting ready!"

"But, mumma, the ball's not for another four-" Hermione tried to protest.

"Perfect! We're already running late, then! Girls, up to your rooms, and get your best dresses!" Mrs. Weasley had gone from grieving mother to commander and chief.

"Ayay, captain," Ginny saluted, and then blushed under her sisters' stares.

"Well, then, ladies," Mrs. Weasley beamed, "let us prepare for a ball!"

Author notes: Congratgulation! If you are reading this then you don't think I'm a completely hopeless idiot with a keyboard and a pathetic dream. Or do you? Hmm...then you should review!

Leave a Review