Ginny and Hermione walked to breakfast while they waited to see what the results of their little experiment the night before would bring.

“No one is looking at me oddly, so I don’t think anyone has heard the rumor yet,” Hermione commented in a low voice as they sat down in their usual spots.

Ginny scanned the Slytherin table as she poured herself a cup of tea, and she saw Draco talking to Blaise. He seemed to sense her looking at him, because he glanced over at her and smirked. Ginny felt her eyes go wide before she looked down at her plate. She hadn’t expected him to acknowledge her in such a public setting. This whole thing might be easier than she thought.

Hermione tapped Ginny on the arm and pointed towards the door of the Great Hall. Fred and George were walking into the room with huge grins on their faces. “They can’t possibly have heard the rumor already,” Hermione said in a slightly panicked voice.

Ginny smiled and waved at her brothers while she said, “I thought you didn’t mind if they dropped by with an indecent proposal.”

Hermione blushed. “Maybe, I lied. A fantasy is one thing, but embarrassing reality is quite another.”

Ginny set her tea down and watched as Fred and George came closer. “They probably aren’t even here to see you. Maybe, they’ve come to yell at Harry.”

When Fred and George sat down directly across from Hermione, she smiled at them and prayed they weren’t about to embarrass the daylights out of her.

“Hermione, George and I have decided that we need you.”

Ginny choked on her tea, and Hermione patted her on the back while she said, “Really? What can I do for you?”

George passed her a piece of parchment while he gave her a killer smile. “We can’t seem to get this formula right, and we just don’t have the brain power to figure out what’s going wrong.”

Hermione sighed in relief and studied the piece of parchment. She frowned as she attempted to read their handwriting. “I can’t quite make this out.”

George pointed his wand at her and said, “Accio, Hermione.”

Hermione yelped as she found herself flying across the table onto George’s lap. He smiled cheekily at her and lifted her off his lap to sit between himself and Fred.

Unable to stop herself, Hermione reached up and smacked him on the back of the head. “George Weasley, if you ever do that again I will hex you to hell and back. I am not some sock that you lost track of.”

Fred snorted and said, “Ginny’s temper is rubbing off on her.”

Hermione turned her glare on him. He swallowed and said, “I’d like to apologize for my brother’s insensitivity. We need you, Hermione. Please read the parchment.”

Hermione grabbed the parchment and pointed at the second line. “What is that supposed to say?”

George put his arm around her shoulders and said, “That’s our Hermione.”

He left his arm around her shoulders as he leaned closer to interpret the chicken scratch on the parchment. Hermione found herself quite distracted by the way George’s body was touching hers from thigh to shoulder. It took her a few moments to realize what the product was that they were trying to create. “Is this a daydream charm?”

Fred nodded. “It’s supposed to provide a unique experience each time, but it seems that our test subjects keep ending up with the same daydreams. We were hoping for a different daydream every time, so that people would buy it over and over again.”

Hermione frowned as she reread the formula. “I think you’ve put too much emphasis on the romance portion of the daydream. It’s probably drowning out the other types of daydreams.”

Fred scooted over and traced the formula on the parchment. Hermione found herself sandwiched in between the twins, and she shot Ginny a look of disbelief. Ginny snorted, causing Fred to look up. “What’s that for, Gin?”

Grasping for a response, Ginny said, “Well, I was trying to figure out what other types of daydreams Hermione was talking about. My daydreams usually involve meeting the perfect male who will treat me like a princess.”

George nodded. “That is the standard response to the daydream charm.”

Fred spoke close to Hermione’s ear and asked, “What do you daydream about?”

Hermione bit her lip while Fred’s breath tickled her ear. “I will admit to the occasional romantic fantasy, but I daydream about different things too. I fantasize about having a paper published in a prestigious journal, or about finding the right charm to make my hair behave.”

George reached up and wrapped a strand of her hair around his finger. “I like your hair. It seems to have a life of it’s own.”

As her scalp tingled, Hermione came to the conclusion that some higher power was messing with her for suggesting Ginny start those stupid rumors. Her body was sending out signals that it was quite enjoying being squished between Fred and George, and she was terrified that somehow they might find out what she was thinking.

***

Draco was watching the scene at Ginny’s table with great interest. He’d completely forgotten the information that Ginny had spilled about Hermione’s relationship while she talked in her sleep. He’d been far more focused on how he could possibly romance her given their past history. Now, however, he found himself with a visual reminder of Hermione’s relationship. Speaking in a scoffing voice, he said, “I’d heard Granger was in a relationship with those two, but I didn’t believe it.”

Blaise studied the threesome across the room. “Surely they’re just friends.”

Draco watched as one of the twins used a summoning spell to pull Hermione across the table. Hermione’s outraged squeak seemed to capture the attention of other people in the Great Hall. He was not the only one who chuckled when she smacked the idiot in the back of the head.

“Something is going on between those three.” Blaise confirmed. “A man doesn’t let a woman treat him that way unless he’s getting something out of the situation. It’s funny though. I never would have pictured her as the adventurous type.”

Pansy’s head whipped around. “What do you know?”

Blaise shrugged. “There’s a rumor going around that Granger is dating both of the twins.”

“Really,” Pansy purred. “How interesting.” Turning to the person next to her, she said, “I’m surprised Granger is being so bold about her non-traditional relationship.”

Draco shook his head. Pansy certainly knew how to make a rumor sound like absolute fact. Maybe, he could use that to his advantage as well. “Pansy, did you hear that Ginny dumped Potter?”

Pansy’s smile widened. “I’ve never heard you call her by her first name before, Draco. Could it be you have plans to make Potter jealous?”

Draco took a drink before he answered. It wouldn’t do to appear too eager. “I’ve been entertaining the idea. Annoying Potter and his sidekick at the same time seems like too good an opportunity to pass up.”

Pansy gave a contented sigh. “I do love Saturday morning breakfast. It’s the gossiping highlight of the week.”

***

Ginny watched as Draco spoke to Blaise, and then Blaise turned to Pansy. She could practically see the rumor mill at work as student after student whispered excitedly to one another. Searching the room for Ron, she wondered how long it would take him to hear about Hermione’s supposed relationship.

When she heard Lavender Brown’s annoying giggle, she figured the rumor has somehow spread to their table. She kept an eye on Ron. When his face flushed red, she figured he’d just heard the news. When he spotted Hermione nestled between the twins, his face turned purple.

Ron scowled and spoke to Harry, who obviously tried to calm him down. Ginny was beginning to get the feeling that their plan might backfire. She’d never counted on Ron seeing Hermione with the twins. He was supposed to defend her. That was hard for him to do when the twins were playing with Hermione’s hair and whispering in her ear.

At the sight of Ron stalking towards them, Ginny desperately searched for a way to help. “I wonder what has Ron in such a snit?” she asked in a voice loud enough to get the twin’s attention.

Fred looked up and frowned. “He definitely doesn’t look happy.”

Ron stopped behind Hermione and said, “I can’t believe you’d be involved in something so disgusting.”

Hermione blanched, and George saw the look of hurt on her face. He turned to face his brother. “Bugger off, Ron. She was just doing us a favor. If you’re going to be all high and mighty, then yell at us.”

“Believe me,” Ron bit out. “I don’t want to hear about the favors she’s been doing for you two.”

“Ron, you’re confused.” Hermione said in a wavering voice.

Shaking his head, Ron said, “I was confused before. Now, I see what type of person you really are. I have to say, I’m disappointed.”

Hermione burst into tears and Fred stood up and grabbed Ron roughly by the arm. “Come with me, little brother. We need to have a talk about respect.”

Fred never saw the punch that knocked him to the ground. He sat up shaking his head and watched Ron storm out of the Great Hall. He looked at George, who had his arms wrapped around a weeping Hermione. Standing up, he saw everyone in the room staring at him. Scowling at the lot of them, he said, “If anyone else gives Hermione any trouble over this, they will receive Exploding Dung Bombs, or worse, in their post every day for the rest of their lives.”

Ginny had no idea what to say. She watched as Hermione cried on George’s shirt. Her brother was doing his best to comfort her. He kissed the top of her head and murmured endearments and soothing sounds.

Hermione’s tears slowly stopped flowing, and she took a drink of the tea Fred offered her.
“I’m sorry, Hermione. I have no idea why Ron is being such a prat.”

Hermione’s eyes went to Ginny, and they were filled with sorrow. She looked down at the table as she spoke. “I never thought he’d be able to hate me. I always thought he’d come to my defense.”

Harry spoke from behind Hermione, startling her. “How’d you think he’d react, Hermione? I’ll talk to him, but I can’t promise he’ll come around.”

Fred pointed his wand at Harry. “You’re not high on our list right now, Harry. Help Ron come around, and we might forgive you for hurting our sister.”

Harry nodded and then walked away. Fred turned to Ginny and asked, “In all the excitement this morning, I forgot to ask. How are you doing?”

Ginny shrugged. “I’ve found someone to take my mind off of things. You probably wouldn’t approve of my choice.”

Fred snorted. “I’m not Ron. I don’t judge. If the bloke makes you smile, that’s all I care about.”

Hermione sniffled, and Ginny frowned. She pointed her wand at her friend and said a calming spell, and then a cleaning spell. Hermione looked up with a slightly dazed expression on her face. “Thanks, Gin. I needed that.”

George stood up and pulled Hermione to her feet. “What you need is to spend time with a very funny, handsome, young man who will help take your mind off of your troubles.”

Fred stood up. “Why thank you for suggesting that Hermione spend the day with me.”

George snorted, “I was talking about me.”

Hermione chuckled, and allowed Fred and George to lead her out of the Great Hall. Ginny looked down at her plate and wondered how she was going to fix this situation. She heard someone sit down across from her. At the same time, she heard the people around her suck in their breath. Looking up, she saw Draco sitting across from her.

“What are you doing over here?” she asked.

Draco smirked at her. “I hate to be left out of a scandal. Why don’t you go for a walk with me?”

The absurdity of the situation struck Ginny, and she laughed. “All right, Malfoy. Let’s go for a walk.”

“Should I use a summoning spell to drag you across the table?” he asked with one eyebrow raised.

“Only if you want your new nickname to be one ball,” she replied with a sweet smile.

Draco laughed out loud, and waited for her to walk around the table. “You have such a lady like vocabulary.”

Ginny snorted. “I have six older brothers. I probably know more foul language than you do.”

As they walked out of the cafeteria, Draco leaned close to her ear and whispered. “I’ve always liked a woman who knows how to talk dirty.”

Ginny tripped over her own feet, and Draco reached out to steady her. As they continued walking, she tried to keep up with the playful banter. The heat of his hand on the small of her back made it difficult for her to think clearly.

“Ginevra,” Draco said in a voice that started her blood humming.

She looked up at him and said, “Sorry, did you say something?”

He steered her out the front door and down a path that led to the lake. “I wasn’t talking to hear my own voice.”

“I’m a bit distracted. I’m worried about Hermione.”

Draco directed her to a bench on the side of the path. “Aren’t you a bit shocked by her relationship with your brothers?” he asked putting an emphasis on the plural form of the word.

Ginny looked down at her hands. “I don’t believe she is anything but friends with them.”

“Did you know when people lie they always look down or away from the person they are talking too?”

Ginny stared straight into Draco’s eyes. “Are you calling me a liar?”

“I believe you are trying to fool yourself. There was genuine affection between those three, as evidenced by their defense of Hermione.”

“I suppose you’re right. What does a Slytherin know of genuine affection?”

Draco leaned closer to her, and her breath caught in her throat. When his lips were millimeters from hers he whispered, “We are capable of genuine affection. We are just extremely selective in who we care about.”

“Oh,” Ginny answered while she waited for him to kiss her. Approaching footsteps on the path shattered the moment, and he pulled away from her. The group of girls who were walking by stopped to gawk at them.

Draco cleared his throat and glared at them. They giggled and walked off.

Ginny decided that this spot was to exposed. She didn’t want her first kiss with Draco to be interrupted, so she stood up and said, “Let’s walk.”

Draco followed along beside her, and then subtly steered her towards a grove of trees. Ginny followed him, and was surprised to find there was a bench in the secluded area. “I didn’t know this was here,” she told him as she looked around.

Draco sat and pulled her down beside him. He just stared at her, and she started to fidget. “Malfoy, knock it off. You’re making me nervous.”

Reaching out to push a lock of hair behind her ear, he said, “You should be nervous.”

Ginny saw the predatory look in his eyes, and she realized that maybe she was playing out of her league. It wasn’t smart to be in a secluded area with a Slytherin she didn’t know very well.

She started to make an excuse as to why she needed to go back to her room, and then Draco leaned over and brushed his lips against her neck. The simple contact made her shiver. Heat seemed to radiate from wherever his lips touched her. A low moan escaped her throat, and she heard Draco chuckle right before he pressed his lips against hers.

As the kiss deepened, she realized he was not only out of her league; he was playing an entirely different sport. She’d heard other girls complain of completely losing their heads, not to mention essential articles of clothing, when they snogged certain young men. She’d always thought it was bunk. When she felt Draco’s hands wandering and she realized she had no desire to stop him, she knew she was in trouble.

“Sorry,” she squeaked as she inched away from him. “That’s a bit fast for me.” Standing up, she straightened her clothes and fled the grove of trees leaving most of her dignity behind. On the way to a cold shower, she chastised herself for being such an idiot. She’d thought that she was the one pulling the strings, but she hadn’t counted on reacting to Draco in such a strong manner. “Be careful what you wish for,” she muttered as she wondered what in the heck she was going to do now.
Leave a Review