Chapter Five

Draco arrived at the Ministry the next Tuesday, flowers in hand, ready to apologize to the redhead. He’d had a week to think it over, and he realized that the answer to all of his problems had been staring him in the face for almost four months. She’d kept him company, nursed his wounds when Pansy had gotten violent, laughed at his jokes, given him advice when he’d asked and sometimes when he hadn’t, and, in the end, he’d treated her no better than the dirt beneath his feet. But, if there was one thing he’d learned in the past year, it was how to apologize. He was nearly a professional.

When he opened the door to her office, he was met with the sight of an entirely different redhead than the one he’d anticipated.

“Hello, Malfoy.”

Ron Weasley sat behind his sister’s desk, looking far less jovial than usual. “How’s probation?” he asked.

“Longer than I expected.”

Ron nodded. “I would’ve thought you’d close the deal by now.”

Draco looked bored. “Yes, well, it’s been a little trickier than I imagined.”

“Right. Well, come on Casanova, bring your flowers. Let’s go try to woo Parkinson with our charm.”

“You?”

“Yeah,” Ron replied, “Ginny’s sick or something. She asked me to fill in for her. That’s alright, yeah?” he asked.

Draco nodded distractedly. “Yeah.”

Ron was much less chatty than Ginny usually was; in fact, he didn’t say more than a few words to Draco the whole trip. He said nothing when they reached the grounds and stayed uncharacteristically quiet as the house elf showed them into the solarium.

“You’ve quite a collection of those, Draco,” Pansy said from her seat by the window. “You have more Weasleys than I have complete tea sets.”

Draco approached her and gave her the flowers he’d intended for Ginny. “Have you two ever formally met? Pansy Parkinson, Ron Weasley.”

Draco glanced at Ron and was amazed to discover that the other man was blushing furiously. Pansy placed the flowers on the table beside her and extended her hand to the other man. Kissing it, Ron murmured, “Charmed.”

Draco was shocked again when Pansy replied, “Oh, absolutely.”

The blond man stood, mouth agape at the other two people in the room. You’ve got to be bloody kidding me, he thought. I’ve been trying to get her to smile for four months, and Ron Weasley does it with, ‘Charmed’.”

Pansy’s attention shifted to Draco, and immediately her expression changed to distaste. “Close your mouth, Draco. It’s unbecoming.” Ron released her hand, and she gestured to the chairs across from where she’d been sitting. “Please sit, gentlemen. Tea?”

Ron nodded politely. “Yes, please.” He shot Draco, who was still too stunned at Pansy’s behaviour to speak, an incredulous look. “Draco, mate? Tea?”

Draco stared at Pansy, then Ron. “If she promises not to throw it at my head, then yeah, okay.”

Ron chuckled. “For someone who’s always droning on and on about manners and the like, that was a little lacking.” He turned to Pansy. “Sometimes, beautiful women make a bloke nervous,” he said with a wink.

Pansy giggled. Draco closed his eyes. He was developing a headache.

“And where is my usual liaison, Mr. Weasley?”

“Please, call me Ron.”

Draco rolled his eyes.

Pansy smiled softly and nodded. “Ron, then. Where is Ginny?”

Ron frowned. “She sent me an owl that she was ill, today.”

Pansy’s expression mirrored Ron’s, and she glanced briefly at Draco. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

An elf brought in the tea service. Pansy poured as they sat in silence, with Ron nudging Draco with his foot and nodding his head in Pansy’s direction.

Finally, Ron broke the silence.

“The tea is fantastic.”

Pansy smiled at him. Draco rolled his eyes again.

“You’ve a beautiful home.”

“Thank you,” she replied.

“Yes,” Draco interjected. “She has a slew of servants to clean up the messes she makes when she has her tantrums. No broken crockery today, I see,” he said peevishly.

She gazed at him steadily. “The day is still young, Draco,” she replied placidly.

Ron looked as Draco as if he were an idiot. “Must be nice to have help, though.”

Pansy nodded. “Aside from your sister,” she said in a sweet tone, “and him,” she spat, “the elves are my only company.”

“That’s criminal!” Ron exclaimed. “A gorgeous creature like you? You must have hundreds of blokes queuing up at the door.”

At his remark, Pansy blushed. Draco thought he might be sick. Pansy shook her head. “No, no one comes to see me much. Only people on Department of Mysteries business.”

Ron nodded sagely. “Great work you’ve done there. We really appreciate you at the Ministry.”

Passing him a platter of pastries, she flashed him a brilliant smile. “It’s so nice of you to say that. It began as reparation for war, of course,” she said, ducking her head demurely, “but it’s become a cause I really believe in.”

Ron accepted a scone and put a dollop of jam and cream on the plate.

At that, Draco had had enough. “Are you bloody kidding me? Who are you?” he asked Pansy. “Where’s the harpy who’s been throwing china at my head like a Bludger? What is this? I can’t believe that you’re being nice to him, Pansy!” he shouted, gesturing wildly at Ron.

Ron stood toe to toe with Draco, squaring his shoulders. “Maybe she’s being civil to me because I’m not acting like a complete arse, Malfoy,” he said firmly.

Pansy shook her head. “Tsk, Draco. Temper, temper. I don’t know why he gets like this,” she said, moving to Ron in mild exasperation, laying a hand on Ron’s arm.

Ron guided Pansy to the couch and sat next to her, patting her hand. “I’m sure he’s just having a bad day. Perhaps we should go.”

Pansy’s expression was sorrowful. “Of course. I understand.” She shot Draco a glare while speaking to Ron. “It’s been a lovely afternoon. Thank you so much for coming.” She placed her hand in the crook of Ron’s arm as she walked with him to the door, Draco following sullenly behind.

The elf brought the men their coats, and Pansy asked Ron sweetly, “Would you mind terribly if I spoke to Draco alone for a moment?”

Ron gave Draco a hard look, one than plainly said, ‘Don’t be an arse,’ and exited through the large double entry doors and out onto the stone steps, crossed his arms, and waited.

Inside, Draco rounded on Pansy. “What he hell?” he asked, exasperated. “Are you mental?”

She returned his glare with a quizzical look and then glanced at the closed door. “Draco, perhaps you aren’t the only one who finds a Weasley attractive, hm?”

Draco gaped, stunned at her proclamation. “What d’you mean?”

Pansy stepped closer to him and poked her finger into his chest. “Listen, you bastard! I’ve tried in every way I know how, to tell you that this,” she said, indicating the space between them, “isn’t working. The answer, you gigantic idiot, has been escorting you here for weeks.”

Draco searched her face. “And you’d be okay with that, Pans?”

The dark haired witch rolled her eyes. “Are you really as dense as you pretend to be?”

Draco ran a hand through his hair. “I might be. I know I have no right, but I think I may have messed that up. Ginny’s not my liaison, anymore. She quit.”

Pansy crossed her arms and began pacing. “What. Did. You. Do. Draco?”

Draco exhaled heavily. “I unloaded on her; it was pretty unfair of me, I guess. I went to her office today to apologize to her. I even brought her flowers.”

Pansy’s eyebrow nearly reached her hairline. “What? The ones you brought me, then?”

Draco looked a bit sheepish. “Yeah. Sorry about that.”

She pursed her lips. “Can’t be helped that you’re a bastard right now. We’ve more important things to worry about. Ginny’s our problem.”

Draco hung his head. “Ginny’s not the problem, I am.”

Pansy squinted at him and shoved him a little. “Who are you? You need to dig down deep and find the real Draco Malfoy and tell him to show the hell up. Now, do I have your attention?

He nodded.

“Good. Then here’s what you’re going to do…”

***********************

Over the next week, a flurry of owls was sent.



Ginny,

Feeling better? Although, I suspect that your health had nothing to do with your inability to escort the ferret the other day. Man up, Weasley. You’ve a job to do.

Your Loving Brother,

Ron

****


Miss Parkinson,

Thank you so much for the lovely tea of yesterday. It isn’t often that I get to be in the company of a beautiful woman in the course of my job.

Sincerely,

Ron Weasley

****

Ginny,

Have you dropped me, then? Two years as a liaison and you’re scared off by a thoughtless, ill-tempered, stupid blond man? I’d thought you Gryffs were stronger than that. I’ve sent several owls and even some flowers. Forgive me, huh?

Draco

*****

Ron,

Your sister hasn’t responded to any of my owls. I’ll need another escort Tuesday. Up for it?

Draco


*****


Draco,

Go and visit the lovely Miss Parkinson and bill it to company time? Count me in.

Ron

Author notes: Whatever might Miss Parkinson have up her sleeve? *snicker*

Leave a Review