The war was over. HE had prevailed. Lord Voldemort, Now the Minister of Magic. The corpses left across the battlefield consisted of about the same numbers from both sides, but in the end he was the one with more power, more experience, and more troops.

Of all her brothers, Fred and Percy were the ones whom had died; one fighting for and the other against. It was a strange sort of nightmare to watch one of her brothers, her favorite by far, throwing all matter of curses towards all that she held dear. She later wondered how he had been capable of doing that. Turning on her, her family, their friends and killing them all without an ounce of remorse.

Ginerva Molly Weasley had many choices once the war ended. She had never really been involved in the war efforts, not that she was ever allowed to, and thus neither side was really begging her to come help them. Voldemort, since he thought of her as a useless, little child and Harry because...well he thought she was a wife who should sit at home and take care of the kids. Not that they had any. Not that they ever would. Not that they would ever even get married, or if they did, they would be old and leathery and she would be too old to have kids.

Ginny wasn't a fool. She wasn't an idealist. But she did have hope. A hope that Colin, a good friend of hers, has crushed in their sixth year in hopes to keep her safe.

It was a Friday evening. Most people were sitting around in the common room talking of innocent things. To talk of war would only bring sorrow into the room and well...TGIF. No one wanted to ruin that. No one it seemed but Colin Creevy; a boy who just cared for the safety of his best friend.

"Ginny," he said after a long silence in which they were both staring into the fire. "You're my best friend and I don't want anything to happen to you when the war's over."

"What are you talkin’ about Colin? We are going to win this war and then we'll all be on the easy road for the rest of our lives."

"Ginny," he whispered, "have you ever thought about what you would do if we lost the war?"

Silence. Ginny's eyes were shining in the firelight.

"Ginny, our chances of losing are much higher than our chances of winning. Voldemort has an army of who knows what! It's huge! And Voldemort himself is still feared in the wizarding community. He's stronger than Harry, he's harnessed more power than Harry, and his supporters are quite adamant while supporting him."

"We support Harry too," she whispered. "We love him all the same. That has to count for something."

"Promise me that you will protect yourself when the time comes."

"And you Colin? What about you?"

"I'm going to move to India, find a nice girl there, get married, and live there for the rest of my life."

"And where will the money come from?"

"I'll work as a photographer. I've heard that brings in nice money over there. I'll change my name to something that makes it seem like I'm at least half Indian so that I fit in there. And now you Ginny, what will you do?"

"I'll move to the states. Maybe LA. I've heard that it's really nice there. I'll get a job teaching younger children. Live alone in an apartment. Maybe rent a house with some friends later on. I'll forget about Harry." A tear rolled down her cheek. "I may even find another guy. Get married. have children. Settle down there. And forget about the wizarding world."

"You need teaching credentials to teach."

"I better get one."

"Easily done online Gin."

"Then I better get started."

"Gin. I'm gonna miss you." He pulled her into a hug.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Colin. You're the greatest friend I could ever have."

"And you are just as wonderful Gin."

So a year later when Voldemort started to gain an upper hand, Ginny got herself a fake ID and a drivers licence under the name of Emma Richter, a teaching job in LA, and an apartment near a school. She gathered all her muggle clothes and left, leaving her friends and family none the wiser.

She claimed to have lived in Iraq previously and lost her family in some small terrorist activity. Anyone could see that it was something she didn't enjoy talking about and left it at that.

The first year she taught fifth grade. At the end of that year, the principal suggested that she get her masters and PhD done and apply for a job at a local UC or state college. She spent the next six years teaching during the day and studying during the night.

It wasn't long after her interview that she was accepted at Long Beach. After a month or two of teaching there, she felt as though she had hit the easy road. She was receiving a healthy salary, her students were actually quite kind to her, and she had moved into a beautiful house near the school with two new friends of hers, Rachel Mott and Megan Smith, both of whom were also well liked teachers at Long Beach. She had even adopted their love of gardening.

"Emma!" It was Megan's voice ringing through the house. She came running into the room, her golden locks bouncing behind her, as Emma was correcting some essays that she was hoping to get back to the students sometime soon. "Emma, you're always in here. Come outside and help with the gardening."

"You know that I have no knack whatsoever for gardening. I can barely get anything right even if you tell me exactly what to do."

"I know; that's why you're coming outside right now and learning everything."

She dragged her outside to the front yard.

"And I really don't get why we have to do all the gardening in the front yard." Emma groaned again. She didn't enjoy messing up when others were walking by.

"Nice Megan, you actually got her outside." That was Rachel. Her head was bent over the ground digging holes to plant the tulip bulbs in.

"So...what do you want me to do?" Emma asked, thinking that the faster she got stuff done, the faster she'd get out of there.

"We are giving you two jasmine plants," Rachel's light voice drifted over her ears. "and you get to grow them, pick the flowers and do all that stuff."

"That's great. I'm gonna kill them both in the next few days." She groaned yet again.

"No you won't. We'll be watching what you're doing and there is no way that we're gonna let you kill the plants."

"Fine," she threw up her hands in defeat, "What do I do?"

Rachel and Megan just smirked at each other before giving Emma detailed instructions on what to do.

Over the next few weeks Emma grew to love her jasmine plants. She had even set up a trellis for them to grow on, so that when they finished growing, they would be perfuming the walkway that led up to the house.

Her love was so strong that when the winter chill set in, and the branches close to the ground started turning brown, she felt as though her heart was going to tear apart.

That was until Megan assured her that she had done nothing wrong and that they would become green once again in the spring.

When February rolled around, she woke up extra early every morning just to hand pick every last flower by herself.

One night when she was falling asleep, she thought of Colin and how she hoped he had found the same happiness she had.

That summer, the three of them had decided to go to New York for Independence day. They all had a great time that week. Fireworks. Late night parties with old friends of theirs. Broadway shows. The works really. Everything was going great. That was until she saw messy black hair and a very badly covered up scar at a party.

Emma had decided not to use any magic since that could easily be tracked by the ministry, and Voldemort had taken over the ministry. Any at all. That included glamour charms to alter her appearance. She had no idea that she would meet anyone she knew while she was here and immediately panicked when she saw Harry.

She went to the bar to buy herself a drink. Nothing alcoholic; she didn't want to let her tongue get loose and let something slip. Just a soda. She barely realized it when Harry slid into the seat next to her.

"It's been a while hasn't it?" He asked. Stupid, conceited prat. Blowing her cover.

"Sorry?" she said feigning confusion.

"You don't have to put that look up with me, Gin. "

Yes I do! she thought to herself.

"I'm sorry, sir. My name is Emma not...Jen or whatever you called me."

"And I'm Draco Malfoy," he said sarcastically.

"Who?"

"You know Draco Malfoy, the kid who killed Dumbledore."

"I'm really sorry sir, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Fine, how 'bout a dance then, for old times sake?"

"A dance with someone who thinks that I know them? I think not."

She left the bar to join Megan and Rachel on the dance floor.

"That guy over there has been staring at you for the last half hour," Megan whispered into her ear.

"That guy, thinks he knows me. He keeps on talking like we actually knew each other. And he's not going to leave me alone, I can clearly see."

"Come on," Rachel said, "we'll set him straight."

The three of them walked up to the bar and took a seat a certain distance away from him. Far enough so it would seem as though they were minding their own business, but close enough so that he would notice then.

Emma then ordered a bottle of gin, but, to Rachel and Megan's surprise, she didn't touch it.

When he finally walked over to them, Emma turned around and stuck the bottle of gin in his hand.

"Here sir," she stated coldly, "is your Gin. Do enjoy your dance."

"Gin," he started again. Emma kept walking. "Gin, don't do this to me. Everyone's been pushing me away. Don't you do this to me, too." Emma kept walking. "Damn it Gin, if you don't listen to me I'll..."

She turned around slowly and walked up to him. "You'll what? Call the authorities? Beat me up? Kidnap me?"

"I'll tell your mother and the rest of your family."

"You were right girl," Megan said walking up to stand next to her, "he's truly bonkers." She shot him a glare. "Come on Emma, it's OK. He's screwed in the head." She put an arm around her and lead her away.

Rachel walked up to the man, stared at him for a few seconds, and threw a fist straight into his nose, breaking it in one blow. "You're an idiot, you know. A sick idiot."

"What did I do?" he said, "I just wanted a dance with my girlfriend."

"Emma doesn't even know you, first of all. And second of all, you had to bring her family into it."

She threw another punch into his stomach. "You don't belong amongst civilized people; get lost and leave our girl alone."

She threw him a glare and stalked away.

On the other side of the bar Megan was trying to console Emma; who, at the time, was sobbing quite heavily.

"Come on Em," she said soothingly, "It's really ok."

"Sorry," Emma said after getting control of herself, "It's just I miss my family so much. it just hurts so much to remember that they're not here with me."

It was then that she heard someone whisper a stunner spell and she impulsively threw herself over Megan.

She looked over at the man who was trying to convince her that they knew each other and saw his messy, black hair turn into Lucius Malfoy's long silver hair. It was then that she saw the Death Eaters stepping out of the shadows and circling the area, unbeknownst to the others in the area.

Suddenly a green light shot out of nowhere, hitting an unaware partygoer square in the chest. He was dead before he hit the ground.

His girlfriend screamed alerting the people around them, and dropped to her knees checking for a pulse. When she found none, she started screaming again. All around them others picked up on the situation, and Emma pulled Megan farther into their niche in the wall. The Death Eaters, realizing that their cover was gone, stepped out into the open and started killing as many people as possible in hopes that Ginny Weasley would be among one of them.

Emma looked across the expanse to where Rachel had been standing and saw that she was no longer there. She tried to leave and look for Rachel, but Megan pulled her back in.

"I'll go," she whispered, "It's obvious that they came her for you."

Emma managed to let out a, "How?" in her shock.

"I saw that guy change and shoot green light at the people. I'll go; I won't be a direct target."

Emma nodded, "Be careful."

Megan nodded and left, stooping low to keep unnoticed.

Emma sat there wishing she could turn her eyes away from the killing and torturing, but she knew that if she missed seeing Rachel, she would never forgive herself.

She sat there for approximately five minutes, but she would definitely say that they were the longest five minutes in her life.

When Megan finally returned with Rachel, Emma was seriously contemplating going to search for both of them herself.

"We've got to get out of here," Megan said.

"We can't," Emma replied, "They've got the whole place surrounded and they'd kill us the moment they saw the two of you with me."

"Rachel?" Megan asked the girl who, until now, had been strangely silent.

"Emma," she said slowly, "aren't you one of those people?"

"No," she stated slightly offended.

"Sorry, that came out wrong. Can't you do magic like they can?"

"Yes," she said slowly trying to see where this was going. She was usually no good in situations like this since her brain had the bad habit of freezing.

"Emma, can't you use some magic to get us out?" Megan caught on quickly.

"Well...I can Apparate us out, but it's going to be hard since I'll be taking two people with me instead of one and..." her mind was slowly beginning to function.

"I really don't care what the chances are; I want to get out." Megan's statement gave her some sort of confidence.

"Just hold on to me tightly."

She closed her eyes and focused on the alleyway that they had noticed before they came in.

Within moments, they arrived there and started running as far from the building as they could possibly get. Rachel finally led the way to a small abandoned shed.

"I'm sorry," Emma said, "this is all my fault."

Megan lowered her eyes, "Actually something like this could have happened ‘cause of me to."

"Why'd you say that?" Emma asked.

"I'm Muslim. It was why I never really believed your story Emma. I was in Iraq for a long time and I...actively participated in terrorist activities. And I did it of my own free will. I was young and foolish, and I wanted to join everyone else I knew and shoot guns and set bombs and do all that stuff that was just normal over there. It was really great until I started seeing my friends die. I had so much trouble deciding whether to get out. The killings gave me a high of sorts, and I'd also seen what happened to those who'd been caught while trying to leave. So when I finally got out, I wanted to forget everything; I was so ashamed of what I'd done, I wanted to become a new person. They almost caught me when I was at a supermarket in Utah. I had to move from there because of that. I haven't seen them since, and I never wanted to really get to know anyone for fear of putting them in danger. That's why I was always by myself; but you know Rachel, she wouldn't let me be until we were good friends."

"Well," Rachel began, "if we're telling tales, then I guess it would be my turn. You'll find wanted signs for me all over Mexico since I was illegally selling drugs to make money."

"That's it?" Emma asked.

"Yeah, I was just trying to make some money to go to Harvard when they caught me. I ended up going to Yale, but I'm still here. And still wanted over there. Mind you, I did learn to fight pretty well while over there. And you Emma?"

"I was on the losing side of the war in the wizarding world. It was mainly because of my family and my boyfriend that they wanted me, but...other than that, I was never really old enough to do anything. Although, if I was, I would have killed as many of them as I could."

"That's ok, now we've all got each other, and nothing is going to separate us," Megan said.

"Definitely," Rachel said, "and nothing is going to change that."

And as the three of them sat together in the old, abandoned shed, they realized that although they were all from different parts of the world, they fit together somehow. They fit together in a way that no one else could fathom. They were all fugitives.
Leave a Review