Later that evening, Draco crept down the stairs. He hadn’t planned on spying, but, much to his surprise, he was staying in the same room Fred and George had used and he found a cache of Extendable Ears in the desk. Being a Malfoy, he’d never been allowed to purchase from the twins, but being Draco, he always had anyway. He liked quality—regardless of who did the selling—and Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes was the best.

So he set the device at the bottom of the door, not really expecting to hear anything. He thought that the four of them might have gone into the kitchen. But instead, he heard Harry and Ginny talking. Alone.

His breath hitched. He knew why he had a problem with the two of them together, but he wasn’t about to admit it—even to himself.

“Ginny,” he heard Potter say, “I’ve told you I’m sorry. I did what I thought I had to. But now I’m not sure.”

“What do you mean?” Draco smirked. He could tell Ginny made her voice innocent on purpose, as though she were trying to buy time to think.

“I want to go out with you again—if you want to, of course.”

Draco rolled his eyes even as they narrowed. Now Potter wanted her opinion.

He could hear the scepticism in her voice. “What made you change your mind?”

“I’m afraid, Ginny.” Draco rolled his eyes again. Gods, he thought. Here comes the sob story. “Everything is so different now. I know it’s only been a few months, but now it seems so likely that I could—could... die. And, I love you.” The last sentence was long and firm; Draco knew instinctively that he was telling the truth.

“Oh, Harry. I...” she trailed off. Draco wondered why. Instantly he realized he shouldn’t be listening—but at the same time he couldn’t stop.

“You what?” Potter said, his voice eager, even as it was soft, almost pleading. Unbidden came a feeling of pity, which Draco shook off as quickly as it had come.

Ginny was silent. Draco’s mind went back to their conversation when Ginny had said she didn’t love Potter. Had she changed her mind? He hoped... that she would make the right choice. After all, it really wasn’t any concern of his. Or, at least that was what he told himself.

“Ginny... Don’t you feel the same?” There was sadness now in his voice, and maybe a bit of anger.

However, Ginny’s voice remained calm and soft, impossible to read. “Harry, I don’t know. A month ago...”

“What?” There was only a hint of sadness now. Potter was angry, bitter.

Ginny cut him off. Her voice wasn’t soft anymore. She was fighting fire with fire. “A month ago I would have loved to hear you say that. Now,” she was softer again, as if trying to make Potter’s pain lessen, “I can’t. I don’t love you like—” The words were cut off abruptly. Can it be? Draco thought. Then he shook his head. No, it can’t. She continued rapidly, “I hate how you order me around.”

“I’m sorry,” Potter said, ashamed. “It’s my fault. I just got so used to being able to order everyone around that... Well, I think if we just went out again...?” He trailed off, a question in his voice.

“I don’t know, Har—”

Her voice cut off. Draco was confused for a moment, then heard the unmistakable sounds of kissing. Her yanked the Extendable Ear out from under the door and ran swiftly but silently up to his room, his heart beating madly.

Damn Potter! Damn him! He doesn’t deserve her!

His thoughts continued in the same vein until he fell into a fitful sleep.



Ginny’s eyes widened as Harry cut off her words with his kiss. She didn’t pull back immediately, since she had kissed him before. For some reason kissing him was different now. She used to want to pull him out of Ron’s view and snog him madly, but now she would have rather been reading, sleeping, talking to... anyone, anyone at all, except Harry.

The kiss was pleasant, of course, as most kisses are. It just wasn’t... special. Come to think of it, none of the guys she’d ever dated—including Harry—had felt very special to her. Then she realized her mind was wandering. Inwardly she shrugged, knowing what she would say.

She allowed him to break off the kiss. He gazed at her fondly. She opened her mouth to speak, but as he saw her expression he said, “Ginny, we’re the perfect couple. Please—what’s wrong?”

She looked at him sadly.

“Is there someone else?” he asked harshly, abruptly.

“I’m not dating anyone else,” she sighed, avoiding the question.

“Do you—”

“Just give me time to think, okay?” She didn’t need time to think about her answer, but she had to figure out how to tell him.

“Sure... Ron, Hermione and I are going to be leaving again soon. Probably in a couple days. Tell me when we get back. Will you?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Good.”

“I’m going to sleep. Good night, Harry.”

She turned around, but he grabbed her arm lightly, drawing her attention back to him as he said with enviable sincerity, “I do love you.”

She nodded. She knew.

Ginny fell asleep, wondering how exactly she would break the news to Harry and—well, everyone.



“My Lord, they don’t trust me,” Snape told the Dark Lord.

“Of course they don’t. All you did was write a letter. You haven’t even tried,” he responded.

“I don’t know how to make them trust me. And Bella and I have no idea where Draco is.”

“So you come to me for answers. How do you expect me to know? It’s your job—your duty to me.”

“You don’t have any idea—not even a hunch?”

“How dare you question me? Crucio!

Once he lazily lifted the curse and Snape stopped writhing on the ground, the Dark Lord said, “Besides, you already know where the Order headquarters are. What’s to stop you from going now?”

Now? To—right—how—They’ll kill me!”

“Oh well. You have my orders. Go.”

Snape remembered to bow as he left, the pain of the Cruciatus curse still agonizing.

He Apparated right away, since he was well aware that the Dark Lord would know if he was still near him. At the door, he hesitated. They would kill him if he went in. Then again, he thought sardonically, maybe that would be for the best.

Harry was the one who heard the door. Since only members of the Order (or other such trusted people) knew the location, he shrugged and got up, setting his butterbeer aside. Only he and Hermione were awake. Ron fell asleep on the couch when they were talking, and Hermione had since grabbed her book and was reading. She looked up.

“I’ll get it,” he said, wondering who would call at such an hour.

She nodded, returning to her book. He walked to the door and opened it, his eyes widening as he saw who stood there. “Snape!” he yelled, wrenching his wand from his pocket. As he lifted it, Snape silently disarmed him.

“I’m not going to attack you. I just want to talk to you—to everyone.”

“Have you seen the time? There’s no one here. Damn it, give me back my wand!”

“I’ll be back the day after tomorrow. In the morning. Tell everyone.” He tossed Harry his wand and Apparated away.



Draco woke up, feeling like he had slept no more than an hour. He rolled out of bed to take a shower, thinking that it might wake him up.

In the kitchen, Ginny, Potter, Granger, and the youngest male Weasley were sitting at the table. No adults, he thought sarcastically. Maybe we should throw a party.

He nodded at the trio and smiled slightly at Ginny. That was all he could force himself to do under the circumstances. He fingered the Extendable Ear in his pocket, wishing he and Ginny were alone so they could talk. He pushed the thought from his mind as he listened to the four of them talk. Actually, it appeared that Potter was telling a story.

“Then, he took my wand and told me that he would be back the day after tomorrow—well, now it’s just tomorrow. Snape told me to tell everyone, then gave me my wand back and Apparated.”

“That’s all?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah, that’s all. What a bastard. I almost killed him with my bare hands when he disarmed me.”

Ginny’s hand flew to her mouth. The rest of them didn’t notice anything, but her eyes were twinkling madly, and Draco knew she was trying not to laugh at the thought of Potter getting beaten senseless by Snape. Did Potter think he was super strong now?

Harry turned to Draco. “You’ll have to stay in the attic while he’s here. I still don’t trust him and don’t want him knowing you’re here.”

“You fear for my safety, Potter? How sweet.”

“If you want to be killed, then, by all means, come to the meeting.”

“Fine. Whatever. I’ll stay in the attic. I really wasn’t planning on dying anytime soon.” Then he stood abruptly, no longer hungry. “Ginny, can I talk to you?”

She stared at Draco, her eyes questioning. Then she shrugged and led the way to the library on the second floor.

Draco looked around, wondering what in the world he was going to say. He decided to take the direct approach. He pulled the Extendable Ear out of his pocket and set it on the coffee table. She glanced at him, at the Ear, and back at him.

“I found it in my room.” She nodded, realizing that he was in the room Fred and George had been in. “So I decided to listen to whatever you, Potter, Granger, and Weasley were saying. Well, you and Potter, anyway.”

“You were spying?” she asked, her eyes snapping.

“I thought there would be the four of you, but two’s enough, I guess.”

She flew from her chair. He caught up with her before she got to the door. She slapped his hand away. “So, I guess you heard us kiss? When did you decide to stop invading my privacy?”

His hand ruffled his hair in a way even Potter would be proud of. “That was when I left. Damn it, Ginny, I thought you said—”

“Well, just so you know, we’re not back together. I told him I would think about it. Well, I actually know what I’m going to say, but whatever.” She looked him straight in the eye, her face just inches away from his. “And, Draco Malfoy, I want you to promise that you won’t invade my privacy like that again.”

It took all his willpower to not lower his face those mere inches. He caught himself just in time.

She stormed out, her red hair flying. When she was gone, he said quietly after her, “I heard enough to know you’ll never care for me.”



Later that day, the trio was off to gods-know-where, and Ginny still wasn’t speaking to Draco. He went back into the library, where she sat on the sofa reading a book. She didn’t hear his soft footsteps until he was right in front of her. Her eyes blazed and she moved to stand. He rested his hand lightly on her shoulder, halting her movement.

“We have to talk. I don’t want you to be angry at me. You’re—you’re the only one I can talk to here.”

She looked into his face, and she must have seen that he was sincere, so she sighed and settled back into the sofa. “Fine. Talk. I'm listening.”

“Ginny, I’m sorry and I swear I won’t invade your privacy again. I was such a jerk to do something like that and I hope you’ll forgive me.” He looked up at her through his thick, blond eyelashes. She couldn’t help but smile at his innocent-looking expression.

Trying to make her own expression more severe even while failing miserably, she said, “It’s okay, Draco. I guess I’ll forgive you.” I can’t believe I’m giving in this easily, she thought. He’d better be serious. If only he wasn’t so... well, that’s completely beside the point.

“So, honestly, what are you going to say?” Draco asked, leaning back in the chair.

“What, do you want me to practise on you or something?” Her voice was incredulous.

“Sure, why not? I mean, you are going to reject him, aren’t you?” He made sure to control his expression. It was difficult, but he managed. Except for a fleeting glimpse of uncertainty strangely mixed with happiness, she saw nothing. Even that glimpse she shook off as being within her own vivid imagination.

Red eyebrows raised. “You could tell from listening to only part of our conversation?”

“Gryffindors are easy to read,” he said with a smirk. “It wasn’t hard to tell you wanted to turn him down right there.”

She tossed her hair defiantly as she looked away. Slowly she brought her gaze back as she hesitantly asked a question. “Was it that obvious?”

“Not to him.”

She smiled slightly. “All right, then. I’ll ‘practise’ on you.”

He smirked again as he went to sit beside her on the couch. “Fine, pretend I’m Potter—although I imagine it’ll be hard. Would you like me to draw a scar on my forehead?” His demeanour changed as he pretended. His hand flew to his forehead as he grimaced in pain and said in a high-pitched voice, “Oh gods, my head! Won’t someone please stop the pain? I have to go save the world at ten o’clock and I fear I’ll be late!”

Ginny pushed him as she clamped a hand over her mouth. When she removed her hand, her face was stern, even as her eyes twinkled madly. “Don’t talk about him like that. Besides, just act like yourself.”

“Fine. Gods, I can’t believe we’re doing something so damn clichéd.”

She grinned. “Let’s start.”

He shrugged, his eyes gazing intently into hers. For some reason looking into his grey eyes was a lot more unsettling than into Harry’s brilliant green ones. She looked away.

“Ginny, you have to look him in the eyes.”

“I know...” She took a deep breath, as if preparing herself for a terrible ordeal. “Draco—Harry, I mean—I know that you l—love... That you are in l—love... That you want to go ou— That you are—are...” She shook her head, unable to continue. Draco opened his mouth to say something but she shook her head again, sharply this time, halting his words. “Let me start again. Um, I’m sorry but I don’t l—I don’t want to— Damn it, this is impossible,” she said as she stood abruptly.

Draco stood too, and tilted her face, glancing into her eyes as if searching for something. She looked back into his, until she had to look away again because of the intensity of his expression.

“Are you having second thoughts?” he said quietly, as if not wanting to hear the answer.

“No! I just can’t use you to ‘practise.’”

“Why not?”

She shook her head, unable to explain even as she was uncomfortably aware that his hand was still underneath her chin. She lightly removed it.

“Draco?” she asked hesitantly, as if willing herself to speak. “Would you mind... leaving for a while? I need to think.”

His eyes, stormy now, once more searched her brown ones. He again had to force himself not to close the gap between their lips, and instead he said in a tender tone that no one had ever heard from him, “Sure, Ginny. Come get me if you need me.”

She nodded as he walked away, only throwing one more glance at her as he closed the door behind him. This time his expression was sad and haunted, as if he had lost the thing he desired most in the world.
To Be Continued.
R_Ravenclaw is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked With Time, Passes All also liked 822 other stories.
Leave a Review