Finding Color
Part Five
By Mell8

--------------------


The notes continued to appear. Sometimes there were two or three in a day, sometimes none for a week. But they always appeared without an owl or a trace of magic.

Moody had refused to believe any of the information written there at first, but then he had seen the Weasley seal and had tried to open the message himself instead of allowing a Weasley to do it. His hand was still burnt.

Sometimes the notes contained lists of Death Eaters or lists of places where specific Death Eaters had attacked. When they caught those fiends they would have specific information to throw down in front of a judge instead of just speculation and pointed fingers, which is what allowed so many Death Eaters to walk free after the first war.

Sometimes there was a date and a place written and that’s it. Sending a contingent of fighters to that place at that time would yield over a dozen Death Eaters. Thousands of innocent Muggle, Muggleborn, and halfblood lives had been saved. Dozens of Death Eaters had been captured and were waiting for the end of the war for sentencing.

And everyone in the Order wanted to know how Ginny was doing it.

All she had said before vanishing without affecting the copious wards around the building was that she had a contact within the Death Eaters who could get them the information they needed.

Clearly she had been speaking the truth, because there was so much information.

Except, she never sent any information about herself. Molly Weasley was going spare, thinking that her daughter must be in trouble despite the fact that the notes continued to appear.

Arthur Wesley looked haggard from wondering just what Ginny had to do to get such detailed information. Could she possibly be one of the few Death Eaters that escaped despite the Order’s careful spell work at each ambush site? Did she have to give her body over to some dirty Death Eater in return for information? Was she being tortured, abused, or hated?

Every letter from her was opened and the report ignored as the Weasley with the letter in his hands looked first for information on the health of their sister or daughter. Only once they were sure she hadn’t written anything did they look at the list or the time actually written there.


“There must be some way we can contact her!” Molly snapped at the Order meeting that week discussing the lists of known and possible Death Eaters Ginny had been sending them. So far a spy hadn’t been found.

A star was placed beside the names of the Death Eaters they had in custody and everyone was glad to see the names on the list slowly whittle away. They may not have been fighting against Voldemort to end the war for good, but they were certainly destroying his power base.

“How?” Moody snapped. “Those letters just appear out of thin air as if brought here by magic, yet we can’t trace any magic off of those letters.”

“What if we write a letter with her name on it and leave it where she usually leaves the letters?” Tonks asked. “Maybe she’ll notice it?”

“Impossible,” Moody snapped. “As long as she keeps sending us information she’s fine. Let’s move on to the attack in Aberdeen this weekend. Ginny’s promised us that Rabastan Lestrange is leading the attack. Capturing one of the inner circle would be a huge blow against Voldemort.”


The meeting ended some minutes later and Molly and Tonks went to get some parchment and a quill. Molly wrote the letter to her daughter, asking after her health and wellbeing, before sealing it with some wax with the Weasley seal stamped into it.

They waited for two days, Molly barely taking her eyes off the letter the entire time, before they had a result.

A new letter appeared from Ginny and the letter Molly had written rose into the air and unrolled itself.

“Arthur!” Molly screamed. Everyone in the vicinity came running and saw the floating letter.

The letter slowly returned to the table and the quill rose into the air instead. The quill dipped itself in the inkbottle that opened itself before writing on the bottom of the parchment.

“I am fine,” the quill wrote. “I am healthy, safe, and in a sane mind. Please don’t worry over me.”

The quill returned to the table.

“Impossible,” Moody snapped. “There is no way someone not in this room right now could have done this.”

“It is possible,” the words said as they appeared on the bottom of the parchment without the aid of ink or a quill. “I can easily manipulate all that I cannot see just as easily as you manipulate all that you can see. Defeat Voldemort and I will explain more—if you are willing to listen.”

A glow faded from the letter and everyone somehow knew she was gone. Molly clutched the letter to her chest and sobbed.

Moody reached for the letter Ginny had sent and handed it to a Weasley who was not crying to open.

The letter read:


Voldemort: Riddle House, Little Hangleton


Ginny had found the final bit of information they needed in order to end the war.

Moody read the letter over and nodded. “We take out Lestrange this weekend to get rid of a couple more Death Eaters and then we attack. Gather everyone, we need to start planning now.”


III


“Ginny,” Draco read from the floating letter Ginny had conjured. She had felt the intent of the letter and called a copy of it to her. She couldn’t read it from the kitchen in the Burrow, her magic still couldn’t discern letters or colors, but she could bring it here for Draco to read to her.

“We don’t know if you will be able to get this letter or if writing this is pointless. We just want to know how you are, dear. Everyone is worried over your health and it would make us feel a lot better to know that you weren’t in any danger.”

Draco scoffed and brushed his fingers through the image, dissipating it. “The rest of the letter is the same stuff. They’re worried that you’re killing yourself to get this information.”

Ginny sighed. “They would worry about that. Alright…” She bit her lip and concentrated on her magic. She formed the letters in her mind and traced them onto the bottom of the parchment back in the Burrow, hoping that she was tracing them correctly because she couldn’t see what she was writing beyond the fact that it was with ink.

“Impossible!” echoed through the study. Ginny grimaced and concentrated on forming the letters needed to reply to Moody. She didn’t realize that the quill was gone, only that the ink was forming where she needed it.

Draco stood next to her and held her hand. Ginny’s magic melded with Draco’s so he could watch what she did with her magic. He couldn’t help marveling at the sheer control she had over the powers that surrounded them.

Draco looked away from Ginny for a moment and looked at everything surrounding them instead. Everything had magic in it. His desk chair, the candle, even he himself were all filled with magic.

Maybe… He reached out with the pool of magic he felt inside himself and touched the candle. The flame flared and ate the wax at a much faster speed as his magic fed the magic in the fire. It was beautiful.

He slowly withdrew from the candle and focused back on Ginny. This was how she saw everything; pools of magic filling existing shapes. She didn’t see a chair and know it was a chair, she saw the magic filling that shape of a chair. Now that Draco knew how to do this form of magic he thought that with practice he should be able to do it without Ginny’s aid.

“What is going on here?” Narcissa Malfoy snapped from the doorway. “I go to speak with my son and I find disembodied voices and candles bursting into flame. How could you influence my son so badly!” she snarled at Ginny. “I will have you from my house, Dark Lord’s orders regardless, if you harm Draco.”

Ginny laughed. “Jealousy is unbecoming in a woman your age,” she answered.

Draco choked and quickly backed away from both women. He didn’t want to be in the middle of the fight that was about to ensue.

“How dare you!” Narcissa growled. “He is my son and I will not have some hussy filling his mind with filth.”

“He is your son and he will always be your son,” Ginny agreed. “But he is old enough to make his own decisions and mistakes; he is long past old enough. All you are doing is trying to keep his little baby hands tangled in your motherly skirts for fear of the outside world. It’s time to let him go out and live his own life. If that life happens to include me, then as his mother you should support us.”

Narcissa sniffed. “Parkinson was not right for him; I made him see that eventually. He will see that you are not right for him soon enough!”


She swept out of the room without even a peck for her son’s cheek, intent on finding Lucius and bringing up the idea of marriage to Astoria Greengrass again.

It shocked her to no end when Lucius flatly said no. How dare that girl steal not only her son, but her husband as well! Narcissa would see her pay even if she had to go to the Dark Lord himself for vengeance.


“There’s nothing more to give them,” Ginny sighed once Narcissa was gone from the room. “The Order now has every scrap of information we have and it’s up to them what to do with it.”

“So what do we do now?” Draco asked as he led Ginny to the couch in his sitting room.

“I don’t know,” Ginny sighed. “I would like to go home, but I won’t without you and I can’t without ensuring your family’s safety as well. I promised your father that much at least.

“So stay with me,” Draco said as he gently threw his arm over her shoulder and drew her into his chest. “I love you, Ginny, and would really like it if you would spend the rest of your life with me.”

“Are you asking me to marry you, Draco?” Ginny asked as she looked up into his clear grey eyes to gauge his emotions.

Draco nodded. “I don’t have a ring right now. It’s in Gringotts so I can get to it as soon as the war’s over.

Ginny looked at him solemnly. “When you have the ring, ask me again. I’ll say yes then too.”

Draco smiled and drew her into a kiss.


III


The Order captured Rabastan Lestrange. It certainly wasn’t easy, as the old Death Eater had prepared for an ambush of sorts after seeing so many similar Death Eater raids fall to ruin. But Charlie would regain use of his left arm eventually and Rabastan unhappily inhabited the cell right next to his brother Rodolphus in the Order-hidden prison. The empty cell nearby that was saved for the last Lestrange, Bellatrix, would not remain empty for long if the Order had their way.

Once the captured Death Eaters had been safely put away and the injured Order members were under hospital care, the Order gathered together to begin planning their final attack against Lord Voldemort.


Far away from the Burrow, Narcissa Malfoy pulled on her traveling cloak with a snarl on her face. Draco had announced his intentions to marry the Weasley girl at dinner that night when he had asked Lucius for the key to the vault the ring was kept in.

Narcissa would have none of it. She had removed herself from dinner with a snarl and was now heading towards Little Hangleton to have a discussion with the Dark Lord about her theory that Ginny Weasley was the reason why so many recent Death Eater plans had been foiled.

The dirty spy would be dead and Draco would be hers again.
Leave a Review