At Draco’s words a chill ran down Ginny’s spine.

“Are you cold?” he asked.

She nodded since she could hardly tell him that he was creeping her out.

He stood and held out his hand. “I think I know how to warm you up.”

She took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet. Once she was standing, he led her over to some of the furniture covered with sheets. He pulled his wand and performed a spell Ginny didn’t recognize. A sheet flew off a dingy brown couch. As Ginny watched the couch started to shimmer. The dust and grime fell away revealing a yellow and white striped couch.

“I’m not even going to ask why you know that spell,” Ginny stated.

Draco gestured for her to sit on the couch. “We have many antiques in storage at the manor. When Mother wishes to redecorate, she uses that spell to make sure the antiques are in pristine condition.”

Ginny wondered if anything in her house had ever been in pristine condition. Probably not.

Draco sat next to her and draped his arm across her shoulders. “Are you warmer now that we’re off the floor?”

She leaned into him. “I am. Thanks.” Reaching up, she ran her fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes as her fingernails grazed his scalp. “Is this as good as having your chest scratched?” she asked.

“Almost.” His eyes opened to slits. “Do you like me better as a dragon?”

She sensed this was an important question, but she wasn’t sure why. Trying to be diplomatic, she said, “I like you both ways. When you’re a dragon I like flying with you. When you’re human I like it when you hold me.”

Her response must have pleased him because he smiled and pulled her onto his lap. His lips brushed across her cheek. She sighed and laid her head on his chest. The sound of his heartbeat relaxed her.

***

“Ginny, wake up.”

She startled at the sound of his voice close to her ear. It took her a moment to remember where she was and who she was with.

“I didn’t plan on falling asleep again,” she rubbed her eyes.

“Neither did I,” he admitted. “It’s probably close to curfew. I should walk you back to your room.”

On the way back to her common room, Ginny noticed people giving her and Draco odd looks and a wide berth. She found the situation amusing, but thought it might be best not to comment on it. When they reached the entrance to her common room, she kissed him on the cheek. “I had fun with you. Today was a good day.”

He smiled. “From now on all of your days will be good. I’ll see to it personally.”

The full on smile he gave her made her stomach do a little flip. Maybe this could work. She squeezed his hand. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He released her. As she entered the common room, she tried to dim her own smile just in case Ron or Harry were waiting to question her.

Hermione was the only occupant of the room. She sat on one of the couches reading a book. “How was your day with Malfoy?”

“It was great, but some of the time I felt like I was walking on eggshells.”

Closing the book, Hermione said, “I think all relationships are like that in the beginning. I imagine it’s worse with Malfoy because he used to play the role of tormenter and now he’s portraying himself as your protector.”

“Every once in a while he says something that sounds a tad bit like a stalker.”

“Well, he’s always been an all or nothing type of person. When he hates you he strives to make your life as miserable as possible. When he cares for you he probably goes overboard on trying to protect you.” Hermione frowned. “Maybe you shouldn’t go places alone with him until we’re sure he won’t change back.”

The thought of Draco changing back to the malicious young man who lived to belittle and torment others made her feel ill. “He’s been protective and considerate so far. Hopefully that won’t change.”

***
The next morning when Ginny walked into the Great Hall for breakfast, she was aware of people whispering and pointing at her. Trying to ignore the gawkers, she took a seat next to Hermione, which allowed her to see the Slytherin table. Draco was sitting in his usual spot next to Pansy but he was ignoring the dark haired girl completely.

Pansy looked like she wanted to eviscerate someone with her butter knife. She was ranting to Blaise who sat next to her. The dark haired young man kept looking away and biting his lip. It looked like he was trying to hold in laughter.

Ginny smiled and then turned her gaze to Draco. He was glaring at her.

Crap.

Had he changed back? Her throat felt tight. She glanced down at her plate. The eggs and toast lost their appeal. She clamped her eyelids shut in an effort to keep her tear ducts under control.

A hand touched her arm. “What’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

She took a deep breath in through her nose and blew it out her mouth. Opening her eyes, she gave Hermione a tight smile. “I’m worried that Draco has changed back.”

Hermione studied the Slytherin table. “How can you tell?”

“He glared at me like he used to.” She poked at the eggs on her plate. “I knew it was too good to last.” She was surprised at how upset she actually was over the loss.

“I’m sorry. If I’d let you blast Ron into the lake like you wanted to in the beginning, none of this mess ever would have happened.”

Ginny pushed her plate away. “I’m going to sulk in my room. If you have a stash of chocolate I could use some.”

“I’ll get something from the kitchens for you after I’m finished here.”

“Thanks.” Ginny checked the Slytherin table one more time. Draco scowled at her. She sighed and left the table.

As she made her way down the hall she heard footsteps coming up behind her. She moved over to the right so whoever it was could pass her. When a hand latched onto her arm and yanked her around, she yelped.

Cold fury shone from Draco’s eyes.

“What happened?” she snarled. “Did your father drop by school and teach you to hate me again?” To her horror, tears overflowed her lashes. “I can’t take this back and forth crap. If you’re going to hex me then get it over with.”

Draco’s face showed confusion, and then it softened. “I don’t hate you. I could never hate you.”

“Then why are you hurting my arm?” she whispered.

He dropped his hand. “I saw you looking at Blaise. You smiled at him.”

“I did not.” She stomped her foot. “Pansy was ranting and Blaise looked like he was trying not to laugh. I thought the situation was funny. Then you scowled at me and I thought...I thought you hated me again.”

He reached for her. Even though she felt she should have more backbone, she allowed him to pull her into a hug. Tears continued to flow from her eyes. “What is wrong with me?” she muttered. “I’m never this much of a crybaby.”

Draco ran his fingers through her hair. “It’s because I’m your mate.”

Ginny waited for him to go on. She sniffled and then looked up at him. “What does that mean?”

“Dragons mate for life. Deep down you probably know that. If I were to shun you, you’d never be able to find someone else.”

His tone was kind, but he seemed to be issuing a warning. She decided to give him one of her own. “I’m bound to smile at other boys. You need to understand that a smile doesn’t mean flirting. I don’t want you grabbing my arm like that again.”

He tipped her chin up further so he stared straight down into her eyes. “I would never harm you on purpose. Can you say the same?”

“Yes.”

He leaned down and brushed his mouth against hers. “I, Draco Malfoy, vow to love, honor and protect Ginevra Weasley until the day I die. Vow to me that you’ll never leave. No matter what happens, swear that you’ll stay by my side.”
Leave a Review