Ginny woke up the next morning with a pounding headache. Her face felt a bit stiff as well and she wondered why. She lay quietly for a minute trying to remember if something had happened. Then it all came back to her in a rush.

Being in the library studying. Malfoy interrupting her. Walking out with him. Being stopped by an angry Pansy. The curse and excruciating pain. Then nothing.

Ginny’s eyes flew wide open as she gasped. She was in the hospital wing, she noticed. Sunlight was filtering through the windows on the opposite wall, giving the room a happy glow. She tried to lift her hand to touch her face, but found that it was trapped under something.

She looked over to see what it was and was surprised to see Draco Malfoy sitting in a chair, his head supported on the bed next to her. He was clutching her hand tightly beneath his cheek as he slept.

Ginny smiled softly and reached over with her other hand to push his hair back. She let her fingers linger on his forehead before trailing them down to his cheek. He began to stir as she touched him.

When he opened his eyes, she quipped, “Good morning, Sunshine.” Her voice was raspy and grated in her dry throat, causing her to wince slightly.

Draco lifted his head and returned her smile. “How do you feel?” he asked tentatively.

Ginny shrugged. “A little stiff, but I’m okay. How about you? That position didn’t look too comfortable.”

He stretched his back awkwardly, not letting go of her hand. “It wasn’t too bad,” he told her. “Better than these lumpy beds.” He indicated the mattress Ginny was laying on.

Ginny pulled herself into a sitting position and swung her legs off the bed so she was facing him. “I must look awful," she groaned, feeling her face with her free hand. “I feel like I look awful.”

Draco pulled her hand away and shook his head, looking into her eyes. “No. You look perfect,” he stated firmly.

Ginny felt herself blush hotly and looked away. “Don’t lie, Draco. I can feel the marks. Not to mention, there’s blood all over both of us, and I’m willing to bet that it’s mine.”

“I still say you look perfect.” He brought both of her hands to his lips and kissed them. “You always look perfect.”

The look in his eyes caused fireworks to go off in Ginny’s stomach. Not the regular kind either. More along the lines of Fred and George’s Wild-Fire Whiz-bangs, Deflagration Deluxe. “What’s come over you, Malfoy?” she asked nervously. “You’re acting kind of weird.”

Draco leaned toward her, a serious look on his face. “Gin, I…”

Madam Pomfrey came out of her office just then and Draco stopped whatever it was he had been about to say. “Oh, good. You’re awake,” the mediwitch exclaimed. She hurried over to the bed and began to check the wounds on Ginny’s face.

Ginny tried to wave her off. “I’m fine. I’m fine.” She winced as Pomfrey pressed different spots on her face.

“Ow!” she cried suddenly. Madam Pomfrey had found a tender spot on her forehead.

Instantly, Draco jumped forward. He pulled the mediwitch’s hands away from Ginny. “Stop it!” he exclaimed. “Can’t you see you’re hurting her?”

He planted himself in front of Ginny, blocking her from Madam Pomfrey, and put his hand on the side of her neck. “Are you all right?” he asked anxiously.

“Draco, I’m fine,” Ginny assured him. “Really.”

His eyes flashed uncertainly, but he backed away, still watching warily.

Pomfrey handed him a potion. “Drink this,” she commanded. “You seem to be experiencing a fair bit of stress. This will help you relax.”

She turned back to Ginny. “You’re doing well. The marks are fading nicely and there doesn’t appear to be any lasting damage. I’d like you to stay here today, however. You lost a lot of blood last night and I don’t want you to overdo it.”

Ginny nodded and peeked over Pomfrey’s shoulder at Draco. She giggled as he grimaced at the flavour of the potion. He rolled his eyes at her with a look that indicated just how funny he thought it was.

“Madam Pomfrey,” he asked, “do any of your potions taste good?”

The mediwitch glared at him. “I do not make them for their taste,” she told him sternly. “They are strictly for medicinal purposes.”

Draco flopped onto his chair, one leg hanging over the side in a leisurely fashion. Ginny was struck by how handsome he looked. His hair was still mussed from his awkward sleeping position and he was wearing a glum expression, but it all seemed to add to his charm.

Ginny suddenly realized that Draco was watching her as she checked him out and blushed. Madam Pomfrey had left without her noticing, so the room was empty but for the two of them. She dropped her eyes to her hands, which she was twisting in her lap, and mumbled a quick, “Sorry.”

Draco grinned. “Don’t worry about it,” he told her. “I like seeing that admiring look when you look at me.”

“I wasn’t… admiring you,” Ginny said, blushing even more. “I was… just… wondering how you’re not falling out of that chair.” Oh yeah. Good one, she thought to herself.

Draco gestured to himself. “It’s easy. And that’s not what you were thinking.”

“Oh? And what was I thinking?”

“It was obvious. I could see it all over your face.” He gave her a sly look and added, “You think I’m sexy.”

Ginny gasped. He’d hit the mark straight on. She tried to think of a response, but no sound came out as she opened and closed her mouth. Trying to mask her embarrassment, she swung her pillow at him.

Draco grabbed it as it whipped past his head, giving it a sharp tug. Ginny shrieked as she tumbled on top of him. She planted her hands on his chest to push off, but he grabbed her waist and held her down.

On impulse, Ginny leaned forward and kissed him as softly as she could on his ear and whispered, “Thank you for helping me last night.”

Draco’s fingers tightened around her waist, causing her skin to tingle pleasantly. “You shouldn’t do that,” he whispered, “unless you’re willing to face the consequences.” He pulled her up against his chest and kissed a sensitive spot on her neck.

Ginny moaned and gripped his shoulders. His hands slid up her back to press her tighter to him as he planted little kisses all the way up her neck and across her jaw. He stopped just centimeters from her lips and locked eyes with her.

Ginny felt like she would explode as she mentally pleaded with him to go on, not trusting herself to speak. He just watched her, an infuriatingly calm look in his eyes.

Finally Ginny couldn’t take it any longer. She made a low groan in the back of her throat and did it herself. She pressed her lips to his fiercely; frustrated by the triumphant look he gave her before closing his eyes.

It then became a contest as to who would be in control. Ginny felt that she could never be close enough to him and was pleased that he seemed to feel the same way; if the gentle pressure on the back of her neck, where his hand was tangled in her hair, was any indication. When they pulled apart many minutes later, Ginny’s lips were swollen and red and they were both trembling.

Ginny dropped her head to his shoulder and leaned against him, trying to catch her breath. She listened to his heart pounding away in sync with her own and smiled, pleased that she could affect him like that.

Draco chuckled and stroked her hair. “I knew you wanted me,” he murmured against her ear.

Ginny sighed. “You drove me to it. Somehow, you knew I would respond.” She lifted her head and glared at him. “You’re despicable.”

“And yet… here we are.” Draco shifted to a sitting position and arranged her so she was sitting comfortably in his lap. He twisted a strand of her hair around his finger.

Ginny grabbed his hand and gently rubbed his knuckles, studying the contrast between his pale skin and her red hair. “What were you going to say earlier?” she asked. “When Madam Pomfrey interrupted."

Draco was silent for a minute as he contemplated whether or not to tell her. “It’s not important, Weasley,” he finally mumbled with a slight blush.

Ginny stood up off his lap and sat back on the bed, feeling empty at the sudden lack of his closeness, but determined not to show it. He opened his mouth to protest, but she cut him off. “Okay. You don’t have to tell me.”

I hope this works, she thought as she leaned back on the pillows, trying to look nonchalant. She failed miserably, however, as her curiosity got the better of her and she glanced back at him out of the corner of her eye.

“Do you really want to know?” he asked casually, a smirk tugging at his mouth.

Ginny nodded, giving up the pretense. “Yes. I do.”

Draco leaned in once more, his voice dropping so that she could just barely hear it. “Ginny, I love you,” he murmured.

Ginny’s breath caught in her throat at his admission. He loved her?

He continued in a rush. “I didn’t realize it until last night, when you were lying there in the hospital bed. You looked so fragile and I was terrified. I know it seems stupid and cliché, but I knew in that moment that I loved… love you.”

Ginny felt like her heart would burst. Tears came to her eyes as she looked up at him.

“Now… would be the time to say something,” he rasped, looking more ruffled that she’d ever seen him.

Ginny couldn’t seem to get a grasp on her thoughts. Her mind was whizzing so fast, she could only comprehend his stormy-grey eyes watching her intently. He looked vulnerable and completely open.

How did she feel? It was all rather sudden; they’d only been together for a short while. She was attracted to him, to be sure. But did she love him? Her thoughts flicked rapidly from one memory to another; smiles, laughter, and kisses all blended together in a haze. All she could make out was pure joy and…

“I love you, too, Draco,” she breathed as she came to the realization.

He beamed and reached for her, nearly crushing her in his arms.

“I love you,” she repeated softly, her face buried comfortably in his shoulder.

Author notes: So, I really LOVE this chapter. Like, really. I had so much fun writing it, but did I come across okay? I can't help but feel that I didn't do it quite right. What do you guys think? I would like to thank Nakita, xLovelyLollypopx, choravenclaw, merriza, 4everdandg, and Rosalie for their reviews on the last chapter. You guys rock! Loves!

Leave a Review