It happened to her all the time lately. She didn't know why, but she'd been losing her way in the dungeons after Potions class. She was a sixth year and she should definitely know her way around by now, but her mind would wander and when it would come back to her she'd find herself in an unfamiliar area of the castle. Although she'd been here for over five years she had tried to avoid the dungeons, as most other students that weren't Slytherin did, but now she could feel herself being drawn to the dark corridors with the whining winds that sounded like the cries of ghosts. Today, however, she realized that it wasn't the cry of a ghost she'd heard and an unexplainable sense of epiphany hit her. She’d finally found what she was looking for. Strange, that. She hadn’t known she’d been looking in the first place.

Ginny hadn’t always been a sensitive girl, but something had happened in her first year to change her. That year she'd come close to death and danced with evil. Nightmares of those times haunted her in a slow ebb of broken pieces, coming to her in the dark of her bedchamber and running slick, cold fingers over her young skin. Sometimes, she had the idea that she was being called back to that place and so many times she had wanted to succumb to its lure.

The cries came from the shadows of the corridor to her left. Trembling, she turned in that direction and began her way down. The walls were made of stones and smelled of winter, as if the snow had wormed its way into them. Chills ran up her arms like a lover's caress and she crossed her arms over her breasts to try to hug some warmth into her body.

She was a quiet girl and had perfected the ability to come and go without much notice. The only thing about her that could be considered extremely loud was her accursed red hair that tumbled in loose curls down to the small of her back. While she would prefer to go unnoticed, the hair caught the attention of many and gave her a wild attractiveness that drew people to her. It was even now like a beacon of warm light in the shadows of the corridor that she was slowly descending, but it did not draw the attention of the figure that was seated on the staircase at the end of the hallway.

Though, Ginny's hair glowed around her shoulders, the figure at the end of the corridor shone brighter than her, with strands of silver blond hair falling around his face. She, of course, knew who it was that she was approaching. With each step she took, she risked the sarcastic ire, the only thing with which he was ever generous. However, she continued, drawn on by her curiosity. Wondering what could be the reason for Draco Malfoy sobbing tensely in a deserted corridor, his head in his hands.

She continued in that quietly, unobtrusive way of hers. Her feet barely whispered over the carpet and she swallowed thickly as she approached. Finally the distance was closed and she stood only a foot away from the oblivious Draco Malfoy, feeling keenly her intrusion and yet unable to turn away. She tried to speak, but words eluded her and all that escaped her mouth was a whispery gasp, which still drew the attention of the other.

Draco's head snapped up, his delicately arched brows furrowed with embarrassment and irritation at the disturbance. Ginny shifted her feet and looked away nervously before finally returning his gaze. "Why are you crying, Draco?" she whispered hesitantly, but compassionately.

Draco sat up and gripped the edge of the stair he was seated on. "What?! What are you doing here, Weasley?" he snapped brusquely.

Ginny ignored the roughness of his voice. Ignored him almost entirely as her gaze fell on his pale forearm, where he'd rolled his sleeve up to the elbow. Instinctively she flinched and grimaced when she realized what the angry red mark against his snowy skin was. She stared and stared, unblinking, for what could have been an eternity or only a second. When she let her eyes close, a tear slipped from under each lid as the skull and snake still burned her vision.

When she opened her eyes, she found Draco looking up at her with a little surprise and a lot of distrust. She was shaking almost violently now, trembling so hard that her teeth clattered. "What's wrong with you?" Draco asked, his eyes narrowing.

Ginny looked around them, confirming that they were still entirely alone and then she fell to her knees before him, only a step down from the one Draco was seated upon. He jumped in surprise and pulled slightly back from her.

Ginny's skin was humming. After years and years of being told how despicable this boy was, she found herself utterly alone with him. The excitement was like a spicy taste on her tongue, like firewhiskey or the clove cigarettes the Sirius Black sometimes smoked. Forbidden, and made all the more seductive by it. Her fingers twitched and her eyes skipped from his face to the Dark Mark emblazoned on his arm. She reached out, but stopped short for permission. "Can I-...touch it?" she asked in a shaky whisper.

Malfoy stared silently down at her upturned face for a long moment. Though his gray eyes were still shimmery from the tears he had just shed, not a single emotion flickered across his face. He didn't answer in words, just raised his arm and laid it on his knee. It was now inches from Ginny's face. She was so close to him, she noticed as an afterthought, but the skull smiling up at her took her attention again. She raised her hand, resting the heel of her palm against his arm before caressing the mark with a feathery touch of her fingertips.

She snapped her hand back as if she had been burned and indeed she had. Somehow, for some reason, the mark generated so much heat that the skin of her fingertips tingled. Without much thought, she sucked her fingers into her mouth, blinking her eyes to dry the tears. "It must have hurt," she said, turning her brown, almond-shaped eyes up to meet Draco's silvery-gray ones. She cocked her head to the side, thinking suddenly how strange it was that she had never noticed just how beautiful he was.

"Are you on drugs?" he asked in confusion. "Do you know what you're doing?" He shook his head.

Ginny offered him a weak smile. "I'm sorry," she said, tucking her hair behind her ears. "I'm really sorry," she added.

Suddenly, she had the most peculiar urge and threw her arms around Draco's neck. He let out a cry of surprise as she scooted closer to him on her knees and rested her chin in the nook between his shoulder and neck. If she'd ever met anyone who really needed a hug, it was Draco Malfoy. "What are you doing?" he questioned her tensely, though he didn't try to push her away.

Ginny didn't answer, just clung a little tighter to him. He smelled like musk and amaretto and something unlike anything she'd smelt, something entirely him. It was a nice, dark smell.

Draco's hands slipped into her robes and gently cupped her breasts, his lips touched her neck and, though a sudden tremor flashed through her body at the touch, she pulled away and looked at him. "What are you doing?" she asked. She realized that his hands were still on her breasts and pulled them away. "Why did you do that?"

Suddenly, his face, which had for a moment seemed open, closed off again and he scowled at her. "Well, isn't that what you wanted?" he shot at her. "A piece of me, just like everyone else?"

Ginny blinked in surprise and shook her head. "No," she breathed. "I don't know what I'm doing here, I'm just....here." She closed her eyes and swallowed. When she opened her eyes, Draco had looked away from her. He looked as if he were about to get up and leave so she put her hands on his shoulders to make him stay. "No, I lied. Maybe I do want a piece of you, but....but I don’t know what. I get so confused sometimes."

Draco turned back to her, his eyes flickering with some unknown emotion. Ginny ran her hands from his shoulders to cup his neck. A strand of blond hair fell over one of his eyes and she reached over to brush it away. Ginny forced a smile, even if this was one of the most unexplainable, confusing experiences of her life. "You should know, I'm not all there. So, I guess we can just blame this on me being a bloody nutter."

Draco still looked confused, but he smirked at her. His hands slipped around her waist. "Will you kiss me?" he asked. The smirk was meant to look lascivious, but it was forced.

Ginny bit her lower lip and looked off to the side for a moment, a pink blush suffusing her high cheekbones. When she looked back at Draco he seemed almost nervous, maybe afraid that she would refuse him. But she wondered who could refuse him when he looked like he did. A pale doll of near perfection, only nearly perfect because his mouth was too hard and nose a bit thin, but still so beautiful that she wanted to sketch him. But she couldn't draw, she realized. She could, however, kiss him.

She released her lip from between her teeth and ran her tongue over it. Her hands cupped the back of his neck firmly, not wanting him to take the decision out of her hands. When she leaned into him, he tensed in expectation, but she didn't press her lips to his. Instead she nuzzled behind his ear and took in his scent once more before pressing a kiss to his neck.

With a sigh, he let his head fall forward against her shoulder and wrapped his arms more completely around her. Her chaste kisses continued to trail over his neck and jaw as he dragged her against him. She kneeled between his legs, pressed firmly to his chest, her fingers playing through the soft short hair at the back of his neck. She’d never held anyone this way.

Draco was twisting his head around, trying to connect his lips to her, but she was rather greedy for his porcelain skin. Her tongue flickered against his pulse and he groaned, humming warm breath against her neck in return. When he sucked her earlobe between his lips, swirling her hoop earring with his tongue, Ginny pulled back and covered her mouth with her hand.

"I'm sorry," Draco said, thinking he'd either frightened her or angered her. Although, he thought it might be exciting to see her angry.

A smile spread out behind her hand and she pulled it away. "It tickled," she said.

Draco thought she was probably a little crazier then she had let on before. The sparkle in her eyes that made all of this seem okay told him as much. Her hands fell back to his shoulders and she looked around at their surroundings. "Where are we?" she asked curiously.

"In the dungeons," Draco answered, wondering if would be okay to place his hands on her breasts again. He didn't think she would go for that though.

"Yes, I know, but where? I feel like I've burrowed my way to the center of the Earth," she said bringing her gaze back to meet his. Draco only stared at her, completely dumbfounded by this peculiar girl. "Is this really happening?" she asked, trailing her fingertips down his cheek. "You feel real enough."

"So do you," he answered.

"Ron will be worried about me, but I don't know if I can find my way back," she said, her hand flattened against his silk robes and smoothed up and down them. She touched him with a curious humor, like she was a child with a new toy. He didn't think he would mind being her toy.

"I'll show you the way back," he offered.

The smile she gave him caused his heart to stop then speed up. "Thank you, Draco."

Draco stood first and held out his hand to help her up. He also picked up her bag and slung it over his shoulder to carry it for her as they began to ascend the staircase that would lead them to the main floor. He couldn't seem to take his eyes off of the redhead that was still clinging to his hand with a sort of distracted smile on her face. Every now and then she would skirt her eyes over him, appreciatively. He was happy that she liked what she saw when she looked at him.

He had rarely ever noticed her before tonight and, truthfully, when he had it was rather unmemorable. She was simply Weasley's sister, the girl who had opened the Chamber of Secrets, the girl with the crush on Potter. He scowled. That just wouldn't do anymore. She was fragile, far too precious for a bumbling fool like Potter to be handling. He would damage her, hurt her. No, she would simply have to be his. Draco could give her the kind of care that she needed.

He stopped when they got to the main floor and she turned to him with a confused smile on her face. They had walked in silence, each musing over the other. Each of them falling a little in love with the other.

"Won't you walk me to Gryffindor Tower?" she asked sweetly and Draco almost smiled. She could see the corner of his lips rise just barely.

"I don't think that would be a good idea. You can find your way from here okay," he answered and handed her the bag he'd been carrying. She didn't want to relinquish his wonderfully soft hand from hers. "When can I see you again?" he asked.

She got a far off look in her eye. "When you get lost, I'll find you again," she said assuredly and raised his hand to press a kiss against the burn mark that he hadn't thought to cover again. His eyes seemed to cloud over with something at this action, though she wasn't entirely sure what emotion it could be.

He stepped forward, wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed his mouth against hers, making her his. He had a sneaking suspicion that this would last forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The End
Leave a Review