Disclaimer: I know, none of it’s mine, yadda yadda yadda.

A.N: This is a rewrite from what is posted on ff.net. I’m fixing up the things that make me cringe when I go back to read this fic...

Breaking The News

~~~~~

“I’m pregnant.” A few moments of silence followed this declaration. And then. . .

“You’re WHAT?”

“You heard correctly. We’re going to have a baby.”

“But. . .wait. . .how?” he stuttered.

“Do I really have to explain it to you?”

“That’s not what I meant, you idiot! I thought we used a Contraceptive Charm!”

“We did. They don’t always work.”

“WHAT?” he yelled for the second time. “They don’t always work?” His face turned slightly pale at this realization.

“Okay, so not the time. It’s obviously way too late to fix that.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” he said, still looking slightly off color.

“So, umm, what do you think? About the baby?”

“I’m bloody ecstatic, but you have to give me a few minutes. I’m still in a little bit of a shock.”

Relief spread over her face. “I was worried.”

“Why? You know that you’re not getting rid of me, ever.”

“I know, but still.”

“What, were you worried I would just abandon you or something?”

“You never know. A baby changes everything,” she commented timidly. Which showed she really was worried. She never did anything timidly.

“The only thing that will change is that I will have two little weasels to love. And that we will perhaps be lectured slightly more than before...”

She chuckled slightly, but then her face suddenly became grim. “Wait a minute...I’ve just thought of something. Your boss won’t exactly be dancing in the poppies when he finds out that a Weasley is carrying a Malfoy’s child.”

“Damn it!” he groaned. “I completely forgot about that...The Dark Lord is going to be in a very Cruciatus mood about this...”

~~~~~

Ginny sat in her potions class, thinking about Draco and the baby. And the way that it was made...a large grin appeared on her face from that memory. But happiness aside, this pregnancy was completely unexpected; after all, she was only sixteen. She and Draco had been seeing each other for nearly a year, ever since a certain dare had forced her to find out whether he wore boxers or briefs. Things were actually pretty good, except for just the one little glitch. He was a Death Eater.

Well, not really. He was more of a spy for Dumbledore, pretending to be a Death Eater. But this pregnancy would blow his cover. If Voldemort or Lucius Malfoy found out about the baby created by one of their own and a Weasley...to say the least, they would be very pissed.

But she didn’t know what to do. It could be her hormones, but she just wanted to settle down and have a family. Screw school and her distinct lack of money....But she couldn’t have her family without putting them all in danger.

She sighed. It was going to be a long potions class.

~~~~~

“Hermione, I need your help.” Ginny asked her the next Saturday when she found her alone in the common room. She was going to take advantage of the rare occurrence that Harry and Ron were not around to talk to Hermione alone.

“With what?” she inquired as she turned away from the essay she had been scribbling out ideas for.

“There’s something really important that I need to tell you...” Ginny began, wringing her hands slightly in nervousness. It was one thing to tell the father, but everyone else...?

“Okay. . .what is it?” Hermione prompted, looking at her expectantly.

“Umm, I think I’ll just come out and say it. I’m pregnant.”

Hermione just looked at her for a few seconds. It was taking her a little bit to process what she had just heard. A first for her.

“Whoa, Gin. That’s huge. When did you find out?” She seemed to still be in a bit of a shock.

“Just a couple of days ago. I’m only four weeks along.”

“Have you told the father yet?”

“Yes, and he’s actually taken it very well.”

“That’s good.” There was a slight pause. “Who is the father?”

“I can tell you, but you must promise to tell absolutely no one.”

“I promise.”

“Seriously, this is a matter of life and death. The father’s, if Ron finds out, and mine. You’ll understand why when I tell you who it is.”

“Okay, I promise. Who is it?”

“Please don’t yell at me.”

“I won’t if you’ll just tell me!” She was getting irritated at the stalling.

“Fine! It’s Draco Malfoy.”

Hermione gasped, “Malfoy?” At the serious look on Ginny’s face she asked, “You’re not kidding, are you?”

“No.”

“Did he force you to? Because if he did, I’m going to–“

Ginny cut her off. “Of course not! I told you he took it well, and apparently I failed to elaborate. We’ve been dating for almost a year–“

“A year?!” Hermione interjected.

Yes. And trust me, he’s different than what you think. He loves me,” she said simply.

“Are you completely sure about that? I’m not quite sure that Death Eaters are quite capable of love,” Hermione asked suspiciously.

“Yes, I’m sure. And he’s not a Death Eater. He’s working with the Order,” Ginny responded in a tone that left no room for argument.

Hermione took the hint and dropped it, but according to the expression on her face, she was by no means agreeing with this quite yet. So she changed the subject. “Who else have you told so far?”

“Just you and Draco. I’m sort of afraid to tell anyone else. Ron will resort to strangling him with his bare hands, and so will Mum and Dad, and so will Harry, and even You-Know-Who...”

“I get the picture.”

“Speaking of Ron . . .” Ginny looked over at Hermione with an expression implying that she wanted something.

“Oh, no you don’t. Just because I am his girlfriend does not mean that I am going to tell him your news for you.”

“Pleeeeeze?” she begged.

“Absolutely not. You got yourself into this, and you can tell Ron.”

“But he’ll get really mad! You know, that kind of yelling isn’t good for the baby,” she said with her famous puppy-dog eyes that always worked wonders with her brothers.

“You’re not going to guilt me into this. And you know that he wouldn’t really get angry at you; he’d wait until had the father to take it out on. And you’re not going to let him in on who the father is,” she paused, and then added, in a slightly worried voice, “are you?”

“Of course not. I’m not that daft. Alright, I’ll tell him about the baby myself. It was worth a shot.” Ginny began to walk away.

“Oh, and Gin?” Hermione said as she was almost out of the room.

“Yeah?”

“Congratulations. And good luck.”

Ginny smiled weakly at her and left, dreading what she was about to do.

~~~~~
Leave a Review