Disclaimer: Due to the fact that I have never actually given birth, I had to borrow a few ideas from what I’ve heard. The only specific one that’s not just a common joke is the “Open the window back up!” part. That would be from Mad About You.

Ah, the Drugs

~~~~~

Draco just stared in shock at Ginny.

“Ginny, luv, you’re...leaking,”

“Oh, that. My water just broke. I’ve been having contractions all day,” she said matter-of-factly.

“WHAT! Why did you not tell me before?”

“Because I didn’t want to worry you.”

“I’m damn well going to worry if I want to. Thank Merlin that they finally found Voldemort’s body and let us leave that house, or I’d be going mental right now! But what should we do first? We’ve got to get you to the hospital wing, and we’ve got to tell Ron and the others that you’re in labor, and Dumbledore will need to know, and we’ve got to gather some of your things that you’ll need in the hospital...” He trailed off as he went over to the corner of the common room where Ron and Harry were playing chess, still muttering to himself.

‘Ha! If he thinks THIS is sane, I’m not sure I want to see his definition of mental!’ Ginny thought to herself with a laugh as she slowly went to follow him. The pain wasn’t so bad right now, but she was getting a little nervous from all of the stories she had heard, and that one movie Hermione had showed her made it look like it was no picnic.

~~~~~

“How are you doing, Gin?” Draco asked her. After much chaos, including an extremely flustered Ron and a charm not allowing him to get her things from her dorm, they had finally gotten to the hospital wing.

“Ooh, just a second. This is a bad one,” her face screwed up in pain as the next contraction came, much stronger than the last. They were only a few minutes apart now.

“DRACO!” She yelled at him, still not quite over the wave of pain.

“Yes, dear? What do you need?”

“DRUGS!”

“What do you mean?”

“FOR THE PAIN! GIVE ME A POTION, A CHARM...SOMETHING!”

“I don’t even know if there is anything...”

“DO I LOOK LIKE I BLOODY CARE? GO GET MADAM POMFREY AND FIGURE SOMETHING OUT! GIVE ME ONE OF THOSE MUGGLE EPPYDURUL THINGS IF YOU HAVE TO!”

“I’ll be right back!”

“OH NO, YOU ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO DID THIS TO ME, AND YOU WILL STAY HERE AND HOLD MY HAND!” She demonstrated this as another contraction came, even more excruciating than the one before.

“Ginny, love, you’re hurting my hand,” he said, attempting to keep a straight face. But it was really hard to keep up the whole ‘men don’t cry’ thing when she had that death grip on his hand.

“THAT WOULD BE THE POINT! NOW FIND SOMEONE TO GET ME DRUGS!”

Hearing the extreme commotion coming from the hospital wing, Ron, who had been waiting outside for their parents, came in and stood by Ginny’s bed.

“Ginny? What’s wrong?” he asked, looking slightly uncomfortable with the whole birthing situation.

“Huh, Ron, I wonder...maybe it could be that I AM TRYING TO PUSH SOMETHING ABOUT THE SIZE OF A SMALL WATERMELON OUT OF A VERY SMALL HOLE! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN WHAT’S WRONG?”

“I see,” Ron sent Draco a pitying look.

“Oh, stuff it,” he replied.

“I didn’t say anything,”

“But you were going to,”

“SHUT UP, THE BOTH OF YOU!,” Ginny roared, “RON! GO GET MADAM POMFREY TO GIVE ME SOME PAINKILLERS, OR THERE WILL BE NO BABY! IT WILL JUST HAVE TO STAY IN THERE! I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!”

“Okay, I’m going,” he said, backing out of the room extremely quickly.

~~~~~

Madame Pomfrey finally entered the room after what felt like an eternity to Ginny. “I’m sorry dear, there isn’t anything that I can do at this point. It’s too late.”

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN IT’S TOO LATE! YOU BLOODY WELL BETTER BE KIDDING ME!”

“No. There is a very small window of opportunity to administer anything for the pain, and unfortunately, the time has passed. You’ll have to do it without drugs.”

“WELL THEN OPEN THE FREAKING WINDOW BACK UP!”

“I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do. It’s almost time for your baby to be born. You’re going to have to start pushing now.”

~~~~~

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH!” Ginny screamed about thirty minutes later as she gave her final push, greeting her new baby girl into the world. A baby’s wail could be heard throughout the room, and both Ginny and Draco started crying. Or at least, Ginny did. Draco was still trying to keep up his manly image. It wasn’t working very well, though.

“It’s our baby, Gin!” He looked at her in shock. “Isn’t she beautiful?”

“Yes. She is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen,” she paused for a moment, extremely worn out, to look at her daughter. Finally, she continued, “But you are NEVER touching me again.”

-end-
The End.
smokeline is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked The Safe House also liked 403 other stories.
Leave a Review