The Dark Lord

~~~~~

Draco had to get to Ginny, had to make sure she was safe under the charm. But he couldn’t stand the burning anymore. His arm felt like it was going to fall off. It had been almost a half hour since it had started, and the Dark Lord was not pleased that it was taking so long. He had already told Dumbledore what was happening, so he could leave if he really had to. He reluctantly decided to go to Voldemort and get it over with. He thought once more about Ginny, putting a smile on his face. After a moment, he returned his expression back to a carefully practiced blank look and Disapparated.

~~~~~

“What took you so long, young Malfoy?” a voice hissed at Draco when he arrived in the Riddle House where Voldemort was staying. He walked over to the source of the voice, knelt down, and kissed the hem of his robes. He was careful not to look the wizard in the face. Seeing those cold, red eyes the one time he had at his initiation was plenty.

“I’m sorry master. I had business to take care of before I left”

“Well, I had urgent business with you. I have just been informed of a certain heir-to-be of yours. Why was I not told sooner?”

“I wanted to make sure that the baby would not be lost first. She is only a little more than four months along, so she is only just past the time of miscarriages. I was going to inform you shortly.”

“LIAR! You wanted to protect her,” the horrible voice screeched.

“Only from stress that may have caused her to lose the baby. I wanted to make sure my heir was safe,” Draco answered as calmly as he could, working to keep his face clear of all emotion.

“Only your heir?” Voldmort asked suspiciously.

“Yes.”

“So, what will you do with the Weasley after the child is born?” He spat out her name as if she were the scum of the earth, making Draco burn with anger. But he restrained himself.

“I am not sure yet. I haven’t decided between Crucio, Avada, or both.” He almost snapped at that, but instead he thought of Ginny, safe, holding a baby-his baby. The smile on his face from that image must have pleased Voldemort.

“I believe that would be adequate. Though I am not quite pleased that your first heir is out of wedlock. You should know by now to take precautions against something like that before you have your fun.”

It took Draco’s last amount of willpower to hold himself back at that comment. ‘Think of Ginny,’ he muttered to himself. ‘I can’t go back to her if I get myself killed.’

“I’ve had an idea. After the child is born, I would like you to bring the mother here. Potter is friends with her, and she can be used to our advantage as bait. I will expect you back once before then to check in and make arrangements.”

“Yes, master. May I go now? I don’t want to make her too suspicious by being gone for a long time.”

“Yes. Go. But before you leave, I’d like to give you a little reminder that I do not tolerate withholding information, regardless of what you think. CRUCIO!”

Draco writhed in pain, laying on the cold floor of the house. All he could do to decrease the pain in any way was think of Ginny, and how he had to get back to her. After a few minutes, Voldemort lifted the curse and spoke.

“Be prepared to come back in the next week or so if I need to talk to you about our little plan. Now go!”

~~~~~

The second he Apparated back to Hogwarts, Draco went straight to Dumbledore’s office.

“Let me in, you stupid Gargoyle!” he yelled while banging on the entrance to the office. “Oh, bugger it!” He leaned against the wall near the stone gargoyle.

“Having problems, Malfoy?” a voice sounded from down the hall.

“Go away Pansy,” he said after she came close enough to recognize.

“I just thought you might like to know, the Headmaster’s password this week is ‘Cockroach Clusters’”

“Go away Pansy.”

“Okay, fine. I’m sorry I helped,” she paused, waiting for him to apologize or thank her.

“Go away Pansy.”

“Hmph,” she said as she stormed out of the corridor.

“Cockroach Clusters!” he yelled once she was out of earshot, causing the stone gargoyle to raise. He walked up the newly-revealed staircase and into Dumbledore’s office. He didn’t even bother to knock.

“Yes, Mister Malfoy?” Dumbledore said, looking up from his desk.

“Where’s Ginny?”

“She’s safe.” At this, Draco’s face became extremely relieved.

“And Draco?”

“Yes?”

“I don’t mean to tell you how to do your job, but do you think it may look suspicious if you wait to report her missing?”

“Damn it! I have to go back! Oh, sorry about the swearing.”

“I didn’t hear anything,” the headmaster said, gazing abstractly about the room.

“Thanks,” Draco said gratefully as he walked out of the office, sighing at the thought of what he had to do.

~~~~~

“Young Malfoy, back so soon?” the cold voice greeted him. Draco shuddered. He had already had plenty of that voice for one day.

“It appears that the Weasley has gone missing,” he reported stone-faced.

“Really? How odd. I suppose none of you had anything to do with that?” Voldemort looked around the room with narrowed eyes. “Because I don’t believe that I ordered anyone to do anything about that particular situation.” No one spoke. “Then you should go find her. Malfoy Senior, Crabbe, Mcnair, go with him.”

“But Master-“

“NOW!”

“Yes, Master,” three voices chorused.

~~~~~

“This is pointless! She could be anywhere!” Lucius Malfoy said angrily. “Try the locating spell again, Mcnair.”

Mcnair muttered a few words, but nothing happened. “It appears that she is not within range.”

“Damn it!”

They continued walking. By this time, they had gotten to a small town just outside of London. They were getting discouraged, and very annoyed with Voldemort. Draco was glad that he had never known exactly where she was going, as he didn’t want to reveal anything by mistake. He hung back from the others; he was getting bored with their idiotic arguing. A flash of metal caught his eye on the ground a few feet away, near an abandoned cabin. His eyes widened as he realized what it was. Her necklace. He hurried up to the other adults.

“It doesn’t look like she’s here,” his said, in the most apathetic voice he could manage. “Maybe we should try another town.” He prayed that they couldn’t see through his lie. He knew they wouldn’t be able to find Ginny because only Ron could tell them where she was, but he still wanted to get out of there. Just in case. They nodded their consent and Disapparated. Before following them, Draco stepped over to the necklace, picked it up, place a Concealing Charm on it, and slipped it into his pocket. With a crack, he was gone.
Leave a Review