Draco sat on their unmade bed. He knew there would be hell to pay if he didn't make the bed before she got home from the shops. Ginny insisted on a clean house, and growing up with lots of brothers meant that she knew exactly how lazy boys could be. This made her particularly strict about Draco doing his fair share of the chores. Draco had to make the bed and cook dinner every second day. He was also expected to clean up after himself and to take the rubbish out. Draco pleaded daily for a house-elf but Ginny was very strict about chores. Apparently, they were character building. Instead of the threats and punishments that Ginny's mother had used to keep her house tidy, Ginny favoured a much more adult, mature way of dealing with Draco's laziness. She kicked him out of their bed.

Sometimes, late in the middle of the night when Draco was trying to sleep on their pitifully tiny couch, he thought Ginny was truly evil. It worked though. Draco usually did his chores faithfully. The threat of a night spent away from Ginny worked magnificently.

So, why was Draco sitting on the unmade bed staring intently at a pair of his rolled-up black socks? The reason behind this was really very simple. It was not the socks Draco was staring at, rather it was what the socks contained that were of interest to Draco. Inside the socks was a box, and inside the box was a ring. This was a very special ring. It was originally Draco's great-great-great grandmother’s ring. It was given to every Malfoy bride, and Draco had known this since he had been very little. His mother had always worn it, and he had always known that eventually, one day in the far distant future Draco would give the ring to a girl. The idea of who that girl might be had been rather fuzzy until lately. She would be beautiful, obviously. She would also have lots of style and taste. She would make Draco laugh and, most of all, she would be very good in bed. Recently, the woman's features had become more distinct. Her hair had taken on a distinctly reddish hue and her skin had become covered with freckles. Her laughter had become a deeper and more joyous sound than the high-pitched giggles he had imagined. She occasionally wore the oddest things (like those jumpers her mother knitted) but somehow she always looked utterly beautiful. She could make him laugh all the time, even when he was particularly grumpy. She also had the largest range of lingerie of any girl he had dated and was surprisingly more inventive in bed than Draco.

Draco had fallen entirely in love with Ginny Weasley. They had been living together for about four years now, ever since the war had finished. About two years ago Mrs Weasley had started dropping ‘subtle’ hints about rings, white dresses and grandchildren. Draco thought he had handled Mrs Weasley relatively well. He had ignored the wedding dress magazine she had given Ginny for Christmas, and he had not said a word when she had passed him a 'Keep It Up Potion' in front of the entire Weasley family which he did most definitely not need, thank you very much. Ginny and he were happy. They had acknowledged the fact that they loved each other about two and half years ago, and there was no need to change anything. At least, that's what he had thought until he had come home early to find Hermione, Luna and Ginny discussing Ginny's lack of a ring. He would not have been particularly concerned, except for the rather large fact that Ginny was crying. She had sat in their front room, bawling her eyes out to her best friends because he had not asked her to marry him. She apparently thought he didn't love her enough to marry her. Draco had left the house discreetly before re-arriving, rather loudly, several minutes later. Ginny had composed herself by then, and they had not mentioned the matter. But it had made Draco think.

Above all, Draco wanted Ginny to be happy and if Ginny needed to be married to be happy, then so be it. This decision had been made very quickly, almost instantly, if truth be told. As soon as Draco had known why Ginny was crying, he knew he was going to fix it. Draco had seen Ginny cry far too many times. During the war, she had cried over Potter, and most of all, over him. Making the decision had been easy; acting on it was far more difficult. Draco knew he loved Ginny, so why was it difficult to declare that love and ask her to be his wife? Draco couldn't find a logical, reasonable excuse for his procrastinating. He knew she wanted to marry him but somehow he still couldn't shake the fear that she would say no.

Draco raised his head as heard the door open and Ginny's cheerful greeting. He heard her place the groceries on the table and her unmistakable sigh of pleasure as she removed her shoes. Now, she was moving throughout the house, searching for him. It was now or never. He took the little box out of the socks and stood up as she came to stand at the door.

“Hey honey. What's wrong?” she said as she saw his nervous face. Ginny moved into the room and her concentration on his face was so complete that she didn't notice the little box he held in his hands.

Draco breathed deeply before answering her question. “Nothing's wrong, actually kind of the opposite.”

Draco gulped and then dropped his body into the required pose. Ginny noticed the box. A huge smile lit up her face, and Draco knew that he had done the right thing for her and from the feeling in his chest, for him. He was going to say it properly. He wanted this memory for him and Ginny to be perfect.

“Will you, Ginevra Weasley, do me the honour of becoming my wife? I love you so very much.”

Ginny started to cry, though Draco was most relieved that they were happy tears.

“Of course I’ll marry you. I love you too, you idiot. I've been waiting for you to ask me for ages,” Ginny said as she pulled him off the floor to kiss him.

Eventually, she pulled away from his lips to mumble, “You still have to make the bed, you know.”
The End.
Januarybaby is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Unmade Beds also liked 1136 other stories.
Leave a Review