Eight Days A Week
By: Bunny

Chapter Three – She Falls…

I will always remember this day as the day that changed everything. I’m not even sure I realized exactly what was happening to us that day, but I think Luna did. I also think Dumbledore did, but he knows everything that happens in his school anyways. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that Luna picked up on it. She’s always had a sort-of sixth sense regarding these types of things, but it was in a way her fault that it all started.

If Luna hadn’t asked me if I loved the stupid prat, I wouldn’t have reacted the way I did that morning to his usual insults. I wouldn’t have lost my temper and hit him. I wouldn’t have threatened to end his family line, and he wouldn’t have insinuated that I’d rather continue it. Well, maybe he would have done that since he’s always been a conceited git, but it wouldn’t have bothered me the way it did if Luna hadn’t just mentioned it. Then I wouldn’t have spent the rest of the day fuming over him. From the span of a five-minute conversation, I suddenly had him consuming my thoughts. It was infuriating, but I couldn’t seem to help myself. I kept going over every detail of the whole incident. His facial expressions, his tone of voice, his body language, and the choice of words he used…which, invariably led to other thoughts about him that I won’t disclose at this moment. In any case, I was suddenly obsessed with Draco Malfoy, and in a very bad way. Luna had me thinking things I never would have thought about him. Did I really like him like she suggested I did? I had to know what exactly she was getting at, so I cornered her during dinner and questioned her about her sudden question that morning.

“Ginny.” Luna answered over the top the latest issue of the Quibbler, “the two of you have been arguing extremely flirtatiously for the past month, ever since the beginning of term.” she stated flatly.

Knowing that Luna wouldn’t just say something like that unless she really thought it was true embarrassed the hell out of me and I felt myself blush to the roots of my hair. Attempting to hide it, I covered my face and said, “Really Luna? Does it seem like I am really flirting with the Ferret?”

Luna put down her Quibbler and looked me straight in the eye. “Gin, with the amount of sexual tension the two of you display when you have your verbal spars, you would think one of you would have attacked the other in the hallway by now to drag the other into a random broom closet and shag each other’s brains out.”

Once again I felt myself blush to the roots of my hair in complete embarrassment. Did she have to be so damn detailed? “LUNA!” I shrieked as I smacked her on her shoulder. We both giggled for a minute before I asked, “Is it really that bad? Am I really doing that?” Then as I thought about it, I worried, “Do you suppose other people think so too?”

Luna laughed again and said, “Yes, Yes, and it’s possible; I suppose it depends on how perceptive they are.”

“Oh God…” I groaned as I covered my face with my hands again. Luna thinks I like Draco Malfoy. She says we have sexual tension. She thinks we want to shag each other’s brains out. Other people might agree with her. I took a few moments to wallow in my self-pity.

Then suddenly realizing the weight of what Luna had just said, panic took my heart and frantically grasping Luna’s arm in both hands to get her attention I squeaked, “Luna. Do you think that…that,” I had to stop and wet my lips because the very idea had me so nervous I was stuttering. “Luna…oh God…do you think that Malfoy thinks I like him?” I finally hissed out under my breath in a completely scandalized tone.

Luna tapped her index finger on her lips for a moment and tilted her head in thought. “Perhaps. He did make that comment earlier, but Malfoy would make up stuff like that anyhow, you know with that ego he has.” She finally answered.

“Luna…” I hissed back. “What if he does think that I like him? I would never be able to live down the embarrassment. Do you know how badly he would make fun of me if he thought that?” I demanded. Ok, I admit it; I was outright terrified at the very idea. I was actually feeling like I was about to wet myself in fear, and I hadn’t been that frightened of anything since the first time I was turned into a canary by the twins.

“I really don’t think anyone would fault you for liking him, Ginny. He is one of the best looking blokes in the whole sodding school.” Luna replied, as if my concerns with the slimy git thinking I liked him didn’t matter, only that other people wouldn’t care.

Yeah, yeah, so maybe the ferret boy was drop dead gorgeous. I would have to be blind and stupid to not notice, but that kind of thing didn’t really matter to me. Well, I did feel that for any healthy relationship there needed to be a certain amount of physical attraction, but I didn’t have to have someone who looked like Harry Potter, Oliver Wood, or Draco Malfoy to be happy. Horrified that I was contemplating Malfoy’s sex appeal, I abruptly ended where my thoughts were taking me. “Luna,” I said, “you can’t say anything to anybody about this.” Grabbing her arm again and shaking it with both hands I pleaded with her, “Luna! Please promise me you won’t tell anybody!”

“Of course I won’t Ginny.” Luna soothed while prying my fingers off of her poor arm. “Besides, who would I tell? You’re my only real friend anyways.” She added with a wink.

“Oh Luna.” I sighed. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”

Luna snorted. “So, do you like him?” she asked again.

I frowned. “I don’t know about anything anymore Luna. When you asked me that today, and then when he said what he said, I just…I don’t know my mind is all jumbled up right now.” I replied honestly.

With a knowing smile, Luna asked, “Ok, think about this. When was the last time you thought about getting married and having lots of babies with one Harry James Potter?”

Once again, Luna hit me with a question that really stopped and made me think. When was the last time I had a good fantasy about Harry? Now that I think about it, it’s been a long time. I don’t even think I’ve barely looked at him since the beginning of term. Oh my God! Does that mean that I don’t like Harry anymore? Does that mean that it’s because I like Malfoy that I don’t?

Standing abruptly from the end of the Ravenclaw table where we were sitting, I bent over to gave Luna a quick hug and let her know I needed some time to think. Then I made my way out of the hall and up to my room to change and get my broom. I needed a flying session very badly, a place away from everyone where I could clear my head and think about this whole mucked up situation with Malfoy.

Making my way out to the pitch, I mounted my broom and ascended up to just below the height of the stands. I meandered around for a few minutes to warm up and then just before I ascended higher and picked up speed, the corner of my eye caught a moving object above me. Directing my attention fully on the object, I was surprised to find the very bane of my existence flying just a few meters above me. What in all blazes of hell is he doing out here? With a shrug I decided I might as well bother him and find out. Mustering up all my courage, I zipped up to him and cut him off.

He stopped abruptly and swore at me, “Dammit Weasley, what the hell where you thinking pulling a stunt like that? You could have killed the both of us!”

“Soooo sorry to frighten you Malfoy.” I cooed at him, as I pulled up closer to hover next to him while we talked.

He slightly angled the upper half of his body towards my direction and said dryly, “So what do you want Weaselette? In case you didn’t notice, I’m busy.”

I started looking at his practice quidditch robes and shrugged. “I don’t know I-“ then noticing a small black cord I grabbed at it while saying, “what the heck is this for?”

As I pulled the cord, a lot more of it came off into my hands, it split into two cords and then two round circles connected at the ends of the two cords popped out of Malfoy’s ears. I started blankly at it for a moment trying to place in my memory what exactly it was I was holding. That’s when I heard it. It was a faint singing.

“Love you ev'ry day girl,
Always on my mind.
One thing I can say girl,
Love you all the time.”

I furrowed my eyebrows in concentration and pulled one of the little round ends closer to my ear. Whatever it was it sounded awfully familiar.

”Hold me, love me, hold me, love me.
Ain't got nothin' but love babe,
Eight days a week.”

I blinked as it dawned on me exactly what I was hearing. My brain finally began processing exactly what as going on…Draco Malfoy was flying and listening to…THE BEATLES? Muggle music? On a portable muggle player? Surely that must be what these funny black cords are. If I remember correctly Da had something like this a while back.

Then it hit me, and I couldn’t help it…I burst out laughing maniacally. Incensed, Draco grabbed the player out of my hands, turned it off and put the cords in his pocket. I didn’t care much as I was busy laughing so hard that I fell off my broom. Startled by my sudden freefall and scared half to death, I screamed.

I fell for only a few seconds before Malfoy pulled up underneath me and catching me he pulled me safely onto his lap and once again that day cursed at me.
“You stupid bint! Are you trying to get yourself killed? I swear Weasley, you are going to be the death of me!” He fumed.

While still taking note of how nice it felt to be held up against his body…no…don’t think that, BAD GINNY. I started laughing again. I laughed through his whole tirade. Finally, I sputtered out, “The Beatles Malfoy? The Beatles?”

He stopped his yelling for a second and said much more quietly, “what, you don’t like the Beatles?”

For some reason his incredulous tone made me slightly defensive and I felt compelled to answer, “Of course I do.” I sniffed. “I’m just…surprised that you do.” I struggled to explain. “I mean you hate all things muggle don’t you?” I asked.

Fidgeting for a second, Malfoy unconsciously pulled me closer. I made a conscience effort not to melt into his warmth.

“Well, I…no.” he said. “I’ve always loved the Beatles. My mother used to play them for me all the time when I was little, and I guess I just like them.”

“Yeah, my parents like them too. Must have been a thing from our parents’ generation.” I volunteered.

Then as if realizing whom he was talking to and what he was talking about, he said under his breath, “Why am I telling you this?”

I started laughing again. “I still think it’s damn funny that you were listening to THAT song. I mean, I suppose I could understand you liking Strawberry Fields Forever, or Sergeant Pepper, but Eight Days a Week Malfoy? That’s such a sweet girly love song!”

“That song happens to be my favorite Beatles song Weaselette, and I would appreciate you not calling it a sweet girly love song.” He replied, indignant.

This sent me into more gales of laughter. “Sure, sure.” I said as I gasped for breath. “And next thing you’re going to tell me is that you’ve secretly been in love with me since we were little kids and you like to fly around listening to sappy muggle music while thinking about our love that could never be!” I roared even louder at my own joke.

Then it happened, he dropped me. I screamed frantically and flailing my arms about madly yelled out, “DRACO! I’M SORRY!! YOU KNOW I WAS JUST KIDDING! HELP ME!!”

A second later, he caught me again. This time though, I was facing the wrong way, so I found my face buried in Malfoy’s chest. Blushing for having called him by his given name, I grabbed the front of his robes, and stayed quiet. Thankfully, he wasn’t saying anything either. I was scared he would drop me again, but instead he zoomed us down to the grass. He didn’t complain as I sat there for a minute to collect myself back together. Finally, I stepped off of the broom on wobbly legs and straightening my back I turned to walk away.

Before I could take a step, Malfoy grabbed my wrist in a gentle grip and said, “Wait here, I’ll get your broom,” before zooming back into the air and retrieving it for me from where I had left it, still hovering. Before I knew it, he was back on the ground, standing with his broom in one hand and handing me my broom with the other.

Not knowing what else to say, I hesitantly took my broom from his hand and said, “Thank you.”

He smiled, a real smile. I mean he really smiled at me. Draco Malfoy smiled at me, and I was stunned with how gorgeous he was when he had a genuine smile. It brought all kinds of new meanings to the word gorgeous. Thinking these things while in his presence scared the heck out of me and made me nervous all at the same time. I suddenly felt the need to run, but instead I blinked and felt myself smiling back.

“I’m sorry I dropped you,” He apologized. “Ginny.” He added. “You just shocked me is all…” he explained.

To say by this point that I would completely perplexed would have been a major understatement. Malfoy seemed to be full of all sorts of surprises today. First he listens to the Beatles, then he saves my life twice, calls me by my given name while not making some kind of sexual innuendo, and now he’s apologizing? I furrowed my eyebrows in my shock and confusion and found myself asking dumbly, “I shocked you?”

“Yeah…I just…couldn’t believe you said that.” He confided with a grimace while somewhat nervously shoving his hands in his pockets. He suddenly looked like he didn’t want to have this conversation with me and wanted to run away.

Me on the other hand, I had just got quite interested in what we were talking about. Realization had dawned on me. “You mean, you weren’t mad at me for saying that, you were just so surprised you lost your grip on me?” I asked for clarification.

Then he did it; he blushed. Looking away from me snapped, “Yes. Now, if you don’t mind Weaselette, I have a detention to get to with Snape, no thanks to you.”

I couldn’t help it…as he walked past me to go back into the castle, I gasped as the full implications of what he just said hit me full force. Maybe…maybe Draco Malfoy did like me. After all, any guy who can appreciate a song like Eight Days A Week, had to have the capacity to genuinely like someone. And maybe I admitted to myself…just maybe I might like him back…a little. Would wonders never cease?

AN: ::giggles:: so this is the crazy idea that got in my head that I couldn’t get out. ::snickers:: I hope everyone else likes it. ^_^

Thank you to everyone who has reviewed the story so far. I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and comments.

Take Care All,

Bunny
Leave a Review