“Is there some sort of path we need to follow?” They’d started on a quick pace, or as quick as they could go in the darkness. Ginny was having a hard time seeing what was ahead of them and had no clue how Draco knew they were going the right way.

“No. We just have to stay on a straight course.” Draco stopped and removed a round object from his pocket.

“What’s that?” Ginny asked.

“A compass.”

“A compass,” she repeated. “A Muggle compass?”

“Yes, Weasley, a Muggle compass. Your father handed them out one day; said they might come in handy.”

“Do you know how to work it?” she asked, leaning toward him to get a better look.

“Of course I know how to use it,” he sneered. “The manor is to the west behind us, so if we keep walking straight east we’ll be fine. Try to keep up,” he said before walking off.

As they continued to walk in silence, Ginny’s mind began lingering on what had happened over the past few hours; including their kiss.

It was perfectly understandable, she thought to herself. After all, she and Draco had been through quite a bit that night. They’d gone through a rather intense situation; it was only natural their feelings should be as extreme. They’d simply gotten caught up in all the emotion of it and acted without thinking.

As these thoughts crossed her mind, she began watching Draco as he walked in front of her. She noticed his stance as he walked. And the way his body would bend and twist as he moved around branches and fallen debris. She couldn’t deny that Draco was attractive, and in her mind it only confirmed her belief that what happened was a normal reaction. She reasoned that finding someone attractive was not the same as being attracted to them.

Continuing on, they found the deeper they got in the forest, the more densely packed the trees became. The foliage cut out the rays of moonlight, making it difficult to navigate around the branches and fallen trunks.

She was so lost in her own thoughts, Ginny failed to pay close attention to where she was walking and her foot got caught on a protruding tree root, sending her sprawling across the ground.

Draco was by her side immediately. “Did you hurt yourself?”

“No, I don’t think so.” Stretching out along the leaf strewn ground, Ginny flexed her legs and ankles but sensed no pains of discomfort. “Just bruised my knees a bit.”

Helping her up, Draco continued holding her arm as she took her first few steps, before sliding in front of her to resume the lead. “We shouldn’t be far from the boundary now.”

“How will we know when we’ve reached the boundary?” she asked.

“It’s a powerful charm. We’ll be able to feel it when we pass through,” he replied. Ginny had felt stirrings of magic before when she’d passed into houses protected by strong wards; she assumed it would be something similar.

They continued their trek in quiet for some time. She’d no idea how many hours had passed since they first started through the forest. She was just about to ask when Draco unexpectedly stopped. Ginny started to inquire why when his hand shot up to quiet her. “Listen,” he whispered. Going still, Ginny tuned her ears to the sounds around her and was able to hear something in the distance. The noise was coming from behind her, and it didn’t take long for her to realize it was the sounds of footsteps working their way through the forest, with a mingling of voices mixed in.

“They’re coming. Run,” Draco said, pushing her in front of him.

Without a second thought, Ginny did as commanded, tearing past the trees and brambles before her. Being this deep in the forest made speed difficult; there were too many limbs to avoid. Ginny could hear the people behind them getting closer. Draco noticed this as well and pulled her back slightly so he could retake the lead, grabbing her hand in the process to help pull her through.

The footsteps sounded so close Ginny tried to look behind her, but Draco pulled her hand firmly when he felt her twist. “Don’t look back!” he shouted. They continued tearing through the woods, knowing their pursuers were gaining on them. But they didn’t realize how close they were until a streak of red light came soaring past them.

When a second spell sped over their heads, Draco pulled his wand and fired behind them.

Ginny reacted when she heard another spell hit a branch beside them, ducking out of instinct. Draco, his hand still holding tightly to hers, drug her back up and they continued running.

Then she felt something. Her mind compared it to the feeling of running under a waterfall. There was a moment of heavy pressure, and then in the next instant, it was gone. They’d passed the barrier of the wards. Twirling her around, Draco wrapped one arm tightly around her, his body flush with hers. With his other, he raised his wand. Ginny screamed as she heard a shout of Avada Kedavra before feeling the smothering sensation of Side-Along Apparition.

Ginny felt her body collide with something hard and once the dizzying rush of impact was over, she lifted her head and looked down. They’d lost balance during Apparition and Draco had fallen, pulling Ginny down on top of him. Turning her head to the side, she saw a bright green lawn connecting to familiar gardens leading to the stoop of an old, lopsided building. A huge grin spread over her face and a shout of joy escaped her lungs. She was home! The sight of the Burrow had never in her life made her as happy as it did at that moment.

Rolling over onto the soft grass, Ginny stretched out her arms, feeling the soft foliage caress the back of her hands, and let out another squeal of joy. Turning onto her side she looked at the man beside her. He hadn’t moved from the spot where they’d landed. Sitting up she leaned over him.

“We made it, Draco!” she yelled. His eyes were closed and when they didn’t instantly open she reached down and gave him a shove. “Open your eyes, Draco. Look! We’re here.” Her smile began to weaken when his eyes remained closed, his body unmoving. “Draco?” she called softly. “Wake up.” He still didn’t move. Her eyes widened and a rush of panic flooded her. Avada Kedavra. She’d heard it before they’d Apparated away.

“No!” she screamed. “NO!” Her hands fisted into the cloth of his shirt. “Open your eyes, Draco. Wake up!” When he still didn’t react, her body slumped down; her face landing on his chest. “Please, don’t be dead. Please.” Her eyes started to water, giving way to a line of tears sliding down her cheek.

“Now a Weasley’s crying over a Malfoy; will wonders never cease?”

Bolting up, Ginny looked down into the face of the man beneath her. Draco’s eyes were open now, a smirk spreading across his lips.

“Bloody hell, Malfoy! I thought you were dead!” she exclaimed, her exhausted body falling against his once more.

“Not yet,” he chuckled.

A series of shouts had Ginny sitting upright again and turning in the direction of her childhood home. She saw her mum leading a group of redheaded relatives all yelling her name.

The group was upon them in an instant, pulling both Ginny and Draco to their feet. She felt almost as if in a dream as she was passed from one person to another for hugs. Then they were ushered into the house.

Ginny and Draco were led to the sofa, where they sat for what felt like hours, and were asked question after question. Her mom sat beside her, unwilling to let go of her hand unless it was to pull her into an impromptu hug. Her father had pulled up a chair beside his wife, listening as Ginny and Draco told the details of her kidnapping and escape. Her brothers Bill, George, and Ron were present. A few Order members had been there when they arrived, and several more turned up as word of Ginny’s arrival spread.

When she began yawning, and her eyes became noticeably heavy, her father stood. “I think we should let these two get some rest now. There will be time for questions tomorrow,” he said.

One by one people came up for a final hug until it was down to just Ginny, Draco, her parents, and her brothers.

“Bill,” her mother said, “will you go up and see to Percy’s old room. Draco can sleep there tonight. Will that be all right with you, dear?” she asked, addressing Draco.

“Yes. Thank you, Mrs. Weasley,” he replied.

Ginny decided to forego sleep a little longer in favor of a hot, and much needed, shower. Afterward, she dressed in her most comfortable pajamas and crawled into bed. She lay there replaying everything that had happened over the past six days. And her thoughts strayed to Draco. He had risked his life to help her escape. It dawned on her his own life had been fully changed because of his actions. There would be no question among the Death Eaters that Draco had switched loyalties; his position within the Order had been compromised. Ginny’s mind didn’t seem to want to shut down, so she decided to go downstairs for a cup of tea.

As she exited her room, her eyes locked with the door across the hall, Percy’s old room. Without thinking much about it, she walked the few steps and knocked softly on the door. She heard Draco’s voice call out, “Come in,” and she slowly opened the door.

She found him stretched out; his arms folded under his head. Walking in, Ginny shut the door behind her and walked over to the bed, sitting lightly on its edge. “Hey,” she said.

“Hey,” he returned. They both sat there for several seconds before Ginny broke the silence. “I couldn’t sleep.”

“I guessed as much,” he said, and even though she wasn’t looking at him, she could hear the smirk in his voice.

There was another silent pause before she turned her head in his direction and connected her eyes with his. “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry. For what?” he asked.

“I didn’t think of it at the time,” she started, “but now I realize how much you were risking by helping me. You won’t be able to go back.”

“No, I won’t.” he said in a soft, calm tone.

“What will you do now?”

Sighing, Draco sat up and pulled himself so his back was against the headboard. “The Order will have a meeting tomorrow. I imagine that’s one of the things that will be discussed.”

“I’m sorry,” she said again.

“Don’t be. It was worth it.” Ginny’s heart began to beat just a bit faster, her eyes glued to his. She couldn’t think of a reply, unsure how exactly to interpret his last comment. “I never particularly enjoyed spying on my father for the Order. And Nott’s there, so we still have someone close to Lucius. I’m rather looking forward to doing something different.”

Unsure of what to say, Ginny simply nodded her head. “Well, I’ll let you get some sleep.” Her gaze traveled down and lingered on his lips. And again she acted before thinking, leaning in to lightly caress his lips with hers. “Good night,” she said as she pulled back. But before she could stand, he brought his right hand up and gently gripped the back of her neck, pulling her in for another kiss.

Their lips seemed to dance together; his taking the lead and hers willingly following. She felt him shift and then his left hand was grasping her outer thigh, lifting her further on the bed; their arms tangled around each other’s bodies.

Draco was the first to pull away from the embrace, loosening the hold his arms had on her as he did. He then leaned forward, and brushed one more kiss across her lips, as if to soften his retreat. Their eyes connected before he murmured, “We should get some sleep.”

Keeping her eyes locked with his, she nodded her agreement, before untangling her arms from his body and standing. She caught his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, then turned to exit the room.

Her hunt for tea forgotten, Ginny went back to her room and slipped between the soft comfort of her covers.

A small smile spread over her features as she nestled into the warmth. She had no idea what the morning would bring. But as she fell asleep, she couldn’t help thinking that tomorrow looked very promising.

Author notes: And thus concludes my first story! If you thought it was decent, look for others to come (or at least be started) in the coming months.

The End.
Rhianna is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked The Promise of Tomorrow also liked 233 other stories.
Leave a Review