Several glasses of wine later, no one was in any condition to leave the flat, much less work out the mystery surrounding one of the most evil men in the Wizarding World. That last part suited Draco just fine, as he staggered into the bathroom and glared at his drunken reflection.

His hair was messy, his eyes tired. He suddenly wanted nothing more than to sleep – to curl into bed with Ginny and not wake up for a few days, if that's what it took to feel normal again. That thought made him laugh.

“What's normal?” he asked himself.

The mirror image frowned in response. He blew out a sigh and opened the door to go back into the hallway. He found Blaise facedown on the couch and raised an eyebrow at the girls. Ginny was sitting cross-legged on the floor, spinning one of the empty bottles.

It stopped on him.

Ginny smirked, and before he knew what was happening, her tongue was in his mouth, her fingers groping, trying to undo his pants. As much as he hated to stop her, he didn't have a choice. He groaned inwardly and placed his hand on hers, which was trying to work his zipper.

“No fair,” she muttered. Then she glanced behind her. “Maybe Pansy wants to play, too.” When he glanced at her, she whispered, “Spoil sport,” and sat down again.

Pansy stood and nudged Blaise. “I think he's dead.”

“Oh,” Draco said. “Well, I guess I'll have to get a new best friend then. How about Potter?” Even that idea sickened him. He poked his friend in the face with his finger. Still no response. “Oi, wake up.”

“Not so loud,” Blaise spoke into the cushion. He turned his head slowly. “What did you wake me for? I was having such a good dream.”

“You need some coffee,” Draco said. “We all do. Then you and Pansy can leave. It's late and I want to go to sleep.”

Blaise sat up, smirking. “You mean you want to have a drunken shag before you pass out.”

Draco sighed irritably and went into the kitchen. Ginny joined him, leaning against the counter. She watched him for a few minutes before speaking.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes,” he mumbled, turning to her. “I'm just tired. It's late and I'd like them to go home. So I'm going to have them drink tons of coffee, then kick them out.”

Ginny smirked. “That sounds good. I'm rather tired myself.”

When she slipped her arms around his waist, he turned and kissed her. She tasted like red wine. He pressed her back into the counter and gripped her hair. He was trying to calm himself when she started to undo his belt. She slid her hand into his boxers and squeezed.

He groaned and said through gritted teeth, “You really shouldn't start things that you don't intend to finish, darling.”

“Oh, don't worry.” She grinned, pulled her hand out and ruffled his hair.

“Apparently we've interrupted something,” Blaise said. He smirked slightly, his arm around Pansy, who was looking tired as she reached for the coffee pot. “Could you please do that when we're gone?”

“We wouldn't have to do it now if you hadn't interrupted us this morning,” Draco answered flatly. “Now, if you'd be so kind as to drink and get out of my flat, I'm fairly certain most of us have work in a few hours.”

“I think you're still drunk,” Blaise said, laughing. “Tomorrow is Sunday.”

“We're going,” Pansy said, pouring coffee. “We just wanted to stick around to see you get mad. It's funny.”

Draco narrowed his eyes and growled, “Get out.”

**


“We aren't any closer,” he said into the darkness. Slipping an arm around her bare waist, he pulled her against his body. “Perhaps you were right. Maybe this is just supposed to be a mystery. Maybe there is no answer to his death.”

Ginny gripped his hand that lay above her head, squeezing his fingers. “I wish there was an answer. I really do. But some things just happen and there's no explaining them. At least you know it isn't your fault, and you're doing okay without him.”

“It's difficult,” he whispered against her shoulder. He pressed his lips to her skin. “I want to go visit my mother tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Ginny said softly. “We can do that. It'll be fine.”

“No,” he replied, “I want to go alone.”

“Oh,” she muttered, shifting so she was sitting up. She faced him and watched his eyes gleam. “It's nice that you want to spend time with her. She probably misses you.”

“She doesn't have anyone else,” he mumbled. “I feel bad that she's alone and lives so far away.”

Ginny sighed and cuddled into him, his breath hot on her cheeks as she pressed her lips to his. He placed a hand on the back of her neck and deepened the kiss. Rolling on top of her, he leaned his forehead against hers. Ginny smiled as the dim light slipped into the room, casting a glow on Draco's face.

Just as he leaned down to kiss her jaw, she said, “Maybe your mother should move closer. Or we could move near her.”

He sighed, a growl rippling through his body. “God, you really know how to kill a mood, don't you? I can't do anything with you while I'm thinking about my mother.”

“That's so disturbing,” Ginny said. “I don't want to think about your mother either.”

As he lay beside her, running his fingers through her hair, Ginny wondered how she had come to be here. With him. That thought led her back to sleep, his arms protectively around her.

**


The smell of bacon woke her. She cracked an eye open, her stomach growling and sat up. Swinging her legs over the bed, she walked out into the hall and called out to him.

“You know, we really could have had sex last night if we hadn't mentioned your mother.”

“Good morning, dear.”

Ginny stopped dead in her tracks. That voice didn't belong to Draco. It was female. She closed her eyes briefly as humiliation crept over her entire body. Slowly, she walked out into the open, her cheeks burning.

“Hello, Narcissa,” she said softly.
Leave a Review