Ginny placed her hands on either side of his neck and pulled him closer. His lips moved against hers slowly, his hands on her hips.

Kissing Draco was nothing like kissing Harry.

Harry’s kisses were dull, especially toward the end, which probably should have given her some clue that he wasn’t interested in her anymore.

Ginny moved her fingers along Draco’s back as he moved her onto his lap.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Fine,” she muttered as his lips slid to her neck. She sighed contently. “Just trying to wrap my brain around this, that’s all.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she said, placing her hand on his chest. “It’s just...I’m not used to this. I feel like I’ve been with Harry my entire life and then he does what he did and changes everything , and now-”

“Maybe this was supposed to happen,” Draco told her.

“What, Harry was supposed to be with me for a year, then cheat on me so I go out and run into you? Doubtful.”

“You want to explain all of this then?” Draco asked, gesturing between them. “You’re staying here. Why?”

“I don’t want to go home,” Ginny told him. “Is that so bad?”

“It is if you’re just running from what happened. I could understand not wanting to go back to the flat you shared with him, but what about to The Burrow? I’m sure your parents would want to see you after all this time.”

“How did you know where I lived?” she asked, glancing at him. “I never told you.”

“My father,” he explained, “would always come home from his job at The Ministry and complain about your dad and I remember he said something about the ‘state of that filthy house they live in, and it has the most ridiculous name ever! The Burrow, have you ever heard of such a thing?’ Trust me, I’m not a stalker.”

“That sounds like your father, right down to the insults,” Ginny remarked, frowning. “Why does he feel the need to be such a bastard?”

Draco shrugged. “He’s always been awful like that, ever since I was a child. He thinks that since we have money and other people don’t, that means we’re superior.”

“No, I got that,” Ginny said, shifting so that she was sitting beside him now. She looked at him. “But my family never did anything to him. I never did, so why did he put Tom Riddle’s old diary in my cauldron the day we met?”

“Killing you would have devastated your family, and you know my father takes some sick pride in murdering innocent people.”

“Do you hate him?” Ginny asked him quietly.

Draco sighed, pulled out his wand and used it to light a fire in the fireplace. Then he went over and sat beside it. Ginny joined him, crossing her legs, as he did the same.

“I don’t hate him, Ginny. He’s my father. Even after all he’s done, and it’s been a lot, he’s still my flesh and blood. Could you hate your father?” He raised an eyebrow.

“If he killed tons of people for sport, yes,” Ginny said, nodding. “I know he’s your father, but can’t you see how horrible he is?”

“I’m reminded of that fact every day,” Draco said harshly.

“Sorry,” Ginny muttered. “I know. I just meant-”

“I know what you meant and it’s alright.” Draco reached out and placed his hands on her knees. “We all have to live with the mistakes other people made.”

“So why are we living with such bad ones? We’re good people and we don’t deserve this.” Ginny blew some hair out of her eyes and looked into his face. “So, what’s your story, why did you agree to let me stay here?”

“You needed to feel safe,” he said quietly. “And for some reason you feel that way here, I don’t know why. You don’t even know me.”

“What are you worried about?” she asked. “That I’ll realize you’re the monster you used to be?”

“But I’m not,” he replied, shaking his head. “I think you know that. I want you to feel comfortable here, Ginny. I wouldn’t do anything stupid when I offered you my home. I wouldn’t jeopardize this.”

“What is this?” Ginny asked seriously. “Between us, what’s happening? We’ve known each other a day, not even.”

“We’ve known each other much longer than that,” Draco told her. “Why are you just counting the last day or so? Are you trying to erase our time together at Hogwarts? Because you can’t do that. We may not have seen each other for a few years, but we aren’t strangers.”

“We aren’t friends,” she shot back.

His eyes narrowed. “Then, it’s just physical?”

“You’re being so kind.” She bit her lip, struggling for the words. “I just wanted to thank you.”

“Thank me?” Draco tilted his head at her, his hands shaking as he placed them on the floor between them. “I guess I was wrong about you. “ He stood up without another word and walked down the hall, slamming the door to his bedroom.

**


Honking cars and angry trucks woke Draco. He laid in bed for several minutes before getting up and looking out the window that overlooked the street. Then he crept across the floor and opened the door. The only noise he could hear was the slow crackle of the dying fire.

He hadn’t realized he slept all night, but here morning was. It stared him in the face, the night before a flutter in his mind. He had a vague thought as he headed into the living room, and when he got there, he was met with a sight.

Curling in front of a nearly empty fireplace was Ginny, her red hair splayed out around her. She was lying on her side and it looked like she hadn’t moved for hours.

Cautiously, Draco crouched down and gently touched her shoulder.

She flinched, turned her head to stare at him, and watched his reaction.

Her brown eyes were red and puffy. Quietly she said, “Just give me a few hours and I’ll be out of here, then you’ll never have to see me again. I’m sorry I burdened you.”

“No,” he said firmly. “I don’t want that. I shouldn’t have reacted that way last night, I’m sorry. I’d rather you stay here then even consider going back to him. He obviously doesn’t care about you.”

“And you do?” she whispered , sitting up, her lip twitching.

“More than you ever realized,” he confessed.

Then he began to tell her a story.
Leave a Review