The cool night air made goose bumps rise on Ginny’s arms. She pulled the cloak tighter around her, trying to maintain some semblance of warmth. It was Christmas Eve, their special night, and he was late. She stood in front of their tree and tapped her foot, which crunched mutely against the snow.

She was just starting to get annoyed—and very cold—when she heard the sound of someone slogging through snow. Yes, there was the blond hair that marked the famous Draco Malfoy.

He was bundled against the cold just like Ginny was. He even had an old school scarf wrapped around his neck. His nose was pink from the cold, like Ginny’s probably was too. She found it endearing.

He stopped short right in front of her, his hands stuffed in his pockets, snow clinging to his lashes. He reminded her of an angel with his pale beauty in this weather. Not that she would ever tell him that. She’d only get some haughty remark that would ruin it. It was simply his nature to ruin things like that. She loved him all the same.

“It’s almost Christmas,” she said softly.

Draco nodded. “It’s almost time.”

This time Ginny nodded as they both looked up at the tree, their tree, covered in snow.

“Another year gone,” she whispered.

Draco shrugged. “It was well spent.”

The remark made her smile. He’d spent the past year with her, of course. Just like the year before that. Just like he would be spending the next year with her. Even though she knew it, it always brought a smile to her face to actually her him say it. Nothing was better than actual confirmation of something you knew to be true.

“It was indeed, my love,” she replied while beaming up at him.

Try as he might, Draco Malfoy couldn’t fight the small smile that made its way to his own face. His cheeks were now as pink as his nose from the cold.

The willow tree swayed slightly as a breeze blew through, blowing snow onto the two standing below the tree. But they weren’t to be forced away tonight. Tonight was a night to celebrate them. As he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close to him, Ginny felt very much complete in a way she couldn’t find words for.

Ginny wrapped her arms loosely around Draco’s neck as far as she could. He towered over her short frame, making her look quite small in comparison.

“Are you going to do the honors?” Draco murmured against her ear.

Ginny smiled. “I suppose this year it is my turn.”

She—sadly—released one hand from around Draco’s neck and grabbed her wand. She flicked her wand at the box of lights, and then at the tree. A few more flicks and the tree was wrapped up in lights and glowing white for all to see.

“It’s beautiful,” Draco whispered as he nuzzled her neck.

She had to agree. It was their spot, their tree, and their Christmas Eve. It was all beautiful. It all had such a special meaning that she couldn’t even begin to convey properly. Thankfully Draco wasn’t big on words. He was all about actions speaking louder than words ever could.

Ginny reached into her robe pocket and nudged Draco with the wrapped gift. He took it from her and stared at the green and silver wrapping with a small smile on his face. She’d known it would be a nice, appreciated touch.

He pulled at the ribbon slowly, making her wait, knowing that she was dying for him to see what she’d gotten him. He always loved to make her wait. It was just another one of their things, and it was just another thing he knew about her. It was one of the first things he’d discovered about her.

They’d first met here on Christmas Eve two years ago, both walking late at night. They both had a gift meant for someone else, and they’d given it to the other. Hers for Harry, his for Astoria. They’d never dreamed it would end up like this. Yet here they were now, two years later still meeting up to celebrate their relationship.

Of course now it was a bit different. It was better.

Draco finally managed to get the wrapping paper off to show the self-inking quills she’d gotten him.

“They’re perfect,” he said as placed a kiss to her temple.

Ginny beamed brightly, not able to stop herself even if she’d wanted to do so.

Draco reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked to be a ring box. Ginny’s hands flew to her mouth as he got down on one knee and opened the box wordlessly.

Draco wasn’t big on words, not even now. But Ginny could see the tight lines around his face that hinted at his nervousness.

But how could she say anything other than yes? When she pictured her life, she pictured it with Draco. She didn’t think there was anyone else she’d rather spend it with. Having met him she knew what it meant to find your other half.

“Yes, Draco, yes!” she squealed.

Draco’s face split into a wide grin as he slipped the ring onto her finger and picked her up to spin her around. Her laughter floated around the area, light and rising like their happiness.

“Merry Christmas, Gin,” Draco whispered.

“Merry Christmas, my love,” she responded in kind.

In truth she thought it their best Christmas yet, but there would be more to come. There would someday be a Christmas where she was expecting. Then a Christmas with children running around the house screaming as they had more fun unwrapping the gifts than playing with the gifts. Their entire lives were just beginning, filled with all the happiness in the world.
The End.
dykeadellic is the author of 8 other stories.

Leave a Review