Draco Malfoy is having a pleasant day. The Slytherin team did not make it to the finals of the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup. However he appreciates the consolation that Scarhead, Gryffindor’s ‘Chosen Captain’, is absent during the championship match with Ravenclaw. Four-eyed Potter could not hold his tongue with Professor Snape and landed himself a detention the same day as the most important game of the year. With one less moral supporter, Weasel is doing his best to let Ravenclaw win. Crabbe and Goyle did not need to lead the crowd to taunt the Gryffindor Keeper as he consistently fails to block the majority of the quaffles from the opposing team. Weasley is our King indeed.

“Oh looks like Ron Weasley is suffering from a bout of Wrackspurt infestation. His brain remains fuzzy, letting another goal from Ravenclaw.” Draco just shook his head at another of Loony Lovegood’s weird narratives. She has been the Quidditch Cup commentator for two years now.

“Demelza Robins scored 10 points for Gryffindor.” Lovegood then tapped her wand on her headdress and its Gryffindor lion roared. One of her crazy antics again, supporting the rival team when she is a Ravenclaw herself. She does not even bother to fake neutrality.

But Draco is curious to see if the little Weasel could pull off another miracle like when she had to substitute for her hero last year. Will she catch the snitch and save her entire team again with her old Cleansweep?

“Both seekers are still trying to find the snitch which is currently as elusive as a Crumple-horned Snorkack.” She continued. “What a face-off between these two ladies.”

Draco heard Blaise Zabini chuckled. Of course even without prodding, Lovegood elaborated.

“Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley have some similarities. Aside from being females, they have the same taste. They are both into seekers. They share the same past and present.”

Blaise is laughing uncontrollably now. The whole school knows that Potter dated Chang in 5th year. And Ginny Weasley had been romantically involved with Michael Corner, Chang’s current boyfriend.

The red-head glared at the jeering Slytherin audience. She gestured a dirty finger towards Blaise and Draco.

Draco Malfoy smirked before aiming his camera towards the little Weasley. He wants to capture her annoyed face that is now flaming as her family’s hair. He clicked the capture button the same time the Gryffindor seeker dived.

“GINNY WEASLEY CAUGHT THE SNITCH!”

Cunning mudblood witch that she is, Hermione Granger made sure that it would be the prefects from the other houses who have to do the patrolling duties tonight. Of course, she would not miss the Gryffindor’s Victory Party at their common room. She has to celebrate with her blood-traitor boyfriend.

Draco grumpily kicked the stone on his path back to the entrance hall. He just finished checking the grounds when he saw a couple approaching his direction.

“Potter, you just got out of detention and you are already committing another sin.” He is holding Ginny Weasley’s hand. Draco could not help but raise his eyebrow at this display.

“I am worried for your sainthood so I suggest that you and your worshiper hurry back to your holy tower where both of you belong.” Draco flashed his prefect badge to emphasize his command. Potter let go of Weasley’s hand to drape his arm over her waist, pulling her closer to him.

“Shut up Malfoy.” The pair walks towards the stairs which he is sure not the route to their common room. Potter then leans to Weasley. He kisses her lips chastily, making her giggle like a fanatic that she is.

Draco could not help but scowl. The Boy-Who-Lived is now the Boy-Who-Loves.


-------


One week pre-O.W.L.s, several fifth year students are scattered around the library preparing for the set of exams that will define their future career choices. Ginny Weasley is occupying a rectangular table with her so called study group. On her left is Luna Lovegood, her closest friend in her year. Across the table is her bestfriend Hermione bickering with her boyfriend and Ginny’s older brother Ron. They are deciphering the Herbology notes that Neville Longbottom discretely lent to Ginny and Luna. Neville is not publicly socializing with them as he is close friends with Seamus Finnigan and Ginny’s ex-boyfriend, Dean Thomas. Oh the sweet and good-natured Dean. He crashed his glass of butterbeer after witnessing his friend and roommate, Harry Potter, snogging Ginny in front of about fifty or more Gryffindors in the common room during the Quidditch Cup Victory Party. That kiss finally sealed the deal, they are officially together.

Harry is seated on Ginny’s right, fulfilling his promise to help her study for O.W.L.s. He has just finished explaining some of his Defense Against the Dark Arts notes to Ginny and Luna, pointing out specific topics he thinks will appear in the exams.

“Thank you Harry for enlightening us about these dark lessons even if it took great effort in your part to resist the effect of Nargles.” Luna says as she handed back Harry’s DADA journal to Ginny. The black-haired tutor just shrugged before stealing a kiss on Ginny’s cheek.

“What did I say to both of you?” Hermione scolds from the other side of the table.

Ginny hears Luna murmuring, “Or maybe not…”

With her Ravenclaw friend focused on the elective Ancient Runes, Ginny feels Harry caressing her right hand under the table.

“What should I study next…” Ginny feigns innocence as Hermione narrows her eyes at the couple.

“Harry, maybe you could help me revise for Muggle Studies.” Upon hearing this, Hermione rolled her eyes before turning to Ron to check if he has found the chapters specified in Neville’s notes. Harry happily agreed, interlacing his fingers with his girlfriend’s.

“Let us start with this…” Ginny reaches for her copy of “Why Muggles Need Electricity” essay.

--------


Draco breathed a sigh of relief once he finished his Alchemy assignment. Even if the subject is just a hobby for him, he still makes sure that every requirement he submits is nothing less than excellent. He is Slytherin’s top student after all.

He then pulls out a letter and a large silver document envelope in between his stack of books. He opens the smaller mail first,

“Son,


I am glad to hear from Severus that as expected of the Malfoy Heir, you have been consistently excelling in your N.E.W.T.s studies. I requested your godfather to deliver this letter and the important documents attached. These contain confidential information about your responsibility to continue our noble line.

As your mother and I have mentioned before, you are betrothed to a pureblood daughter from a Sacred 28 family. Your grandfather has arranged it 15 years ago and only informed me before his death. As your father and head of the Malfoy line, I did my best to release you from the agreement. However, the contract is magically binding with serious consequences if unfulfilled before your 17th birthday. We will discuss the details once you are back in the manor.

The files you are about to read will orient you about your future wife. Manage your expectations but do not dare refuse what we expect from you. Your mother and I hope that we have prepared you enough.

The password is our family motto,

Your Father”


The letter vanished right after Draco read it for the second time. With shaking hands, he reaches for the silver envelope and taps his wand on the green Malfoy seal.

“Sanctimonia Vincet Semper” He whispered.

Once opened, he pulls the smooth set of parchment out of the envelope. The written content slowly appears before him. Two photographs fell from the neat stack. With his heart beating fast, he inspects the small portrait picture. A familiar looking girl, holding second-hand books, glances at him. Draco’s eyes widen when she shyly wipes the soot on her face then straighten her tattered robes while standing inside Flourish and Blotts. He grabs the other landscape photo, waving back at him is the whole family he grew up hating.

In bold letters, written on the first page of the background check:

GINEVRA MOLLY PREWETT WEASLEY

11th of August, 1981. Pureblood.

The Burrow
Ottery St. Catchpole,
Devon, West Country,
England, Great Britain

5th Year, Gryffindor,
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


Draco forcefully pushes his stray platinum blonde hair out of his eyes. Three tables away, his fiancé is playfully letting his nemesis hold her hand and kiss her temple.

“BLOODY HELL.”

--------


After studiously revising and sitting her O.W.L.s, Ginny got her reward of comfortably snuggling against her boyfriend for the whole train ride to King Cross Station. With another school year done, Ginny and the Golden Trio are on their way to start their summer.

"I will spend about a month and a half with my Muggle relatives.” Harry gently squeezes her girlfriend’s left shoulder.

“But you do not even like them!” Ginny groans. She heard from her brothers about the Dursleys’ maltreatment of the Wizarding World’s savior. Human punching bag. Starvation. Bedroom window with bars.

“Well. The usual underage wizard stuff.” Harry sighs. It is the only reason he is forced to endure the holidays with his supposed legal guardians.

“Why don’t you just stay with Sirius instead?” Ginny pouts as she playfully pinches Harry’s right cheek.

“I am for the second half of the summer.” Harry presses her nose with his forefinger.

“You mean we won’t be exchanging letters until then?!” Ginny whines. Ron has complained every summer how hard it is to contact Harry when he is in Surrey. It is as if he is locked up in a different world.

“Oi! Ginny you’re so clingy!” Her older brother interjects from the opposite side of the compartment. He is resting on Hermione’s lap who is busy reading an essay about house-elves. Ginny just rolled her eyes on her brother’s statement. What a hypocrite.

“I know a way I can make up to you Gin.” Harry smiles and pulls her closer to him. She looks at him curiously.

“You can come over in Grimmauld Place by the end of July.” Ginny raised her eyebrows in surprise. Is Harry Potter actually inviting her to visit him in his godfather’s place? He has only extended the invitation to Ron and Hermione before.

“Seriously.” Ron scoffs. Ginny and Hermione both glare at him.

“That is… if it is okay with you…” Harry is avoiding eye contact now, “You can join us in celebrating my birthday in Muggle London. Ahm… you know…hanging out in tourist spots we all have not visited. Then… dinner…dinner with… Sirius and Remus.”

Ginny could not help but appreciate how her boyfriend is trying his best to include her on his plans.

“Oh Harry! I would love to!” She kisses him deeply before embracing him tightly. She won’t miss it for the world.

“Double-date, meet the parents then sleep-over. Real smooth Potter.” Hermione teases. Harry and Ginny both blushed.

“Just for the record, I won’t be doing any baby-sitting okay. Even if Mum orders me to play chaperone.” Ron just shook his head. For sure their mum would be delighted to know that Harry and Ginny are dating. She has always treated Harry like her own son. This set-up just makes it easier to include Harry in the family.

When the Hogwarts Express stopped at Kings Cross Platform 9 ¾, Ginny is the first one to step out of their compartment. She bumps into a solid surface blocking the corridor. Looking up, she sees Draco Malfoy looking down at her. Literally and figuratively. With eyebrows raised and his usual poker face, he appears to be scrutinizing her. Ginny narrows her eyes at his rudeness.

“Ginny!” Harry calls after her.

Malfoy’s lips turn into his signature sneer, “How silly and embarrassing”.

He then turned on his heels and walked behind Astoria Greengrass.


--------


Something is off. Ginny could feel it. Instead of her parents, she and Ron were fetched by the twins. Neither George nor Fred uttered a single joke, making the car ride to the Burrow unusually quiet.

“Are the two of you alright?” Ron finally broke the silence.

The twins shared meaningful glances before George replied, “Of course brother dear”.

“You’re acting weird.” Ginny points out.

Fred awkwardly smiles, “Are we?”

“Stop this bullshit and tell us what is going-“ Ginny is cut off when the Ford Anglia landed in front of the Burrow. Before she could continue, the twins are already outside the car retrieving the luggage from the trunk.

“Ron and Ginny are here.” The twins simultaneously announced when the four of them entered the house.

The two youngest Weasley are welcomed by the rest of the family seated on the dining room. George and Fred take the seats beside the second eldest, Charlie. Bill and Percy are sitting across them. Ron carefully pulls the free chair on Percy’s right. Their sullen-looking parents are both seated at the head of the table leaving Ginny no choice but to sit at the opposing end.

“This looks like an impromptu family meeting.” Ginny tries to joke but no one laughs.

“Did something happen?” Ron tentatively asks, confusion etched on his face.

“Ginny dear…Remember my last letter to you.” Ginny nods. Why does her mum look so distressed? She peers over her dad who is mirroring the same expression. He still appears sick.

“When was that? What letter?” Ron questions Ginny.

“I mentioned that your father was brought to St. Mungo’s” Ron looks like he has been stunned. Before he could interrupt, their mum continues,

“I also asked you about this.” Her mum opens a small red jewelry box with a familiar white gold ring. It seems that they were able to salvage it from being the foot pad of Ginny’s uneven study table.

“Thank Merlin we were able to recover this. This is very important.” Her mum holds her dad’s hand.

“Are we going to sell it? Even if it is grandpa’s gift…” Ginny inhales then exhales, “If that could pay for Dad’s hospital expenses or healing potions…I’ll understand.”

“It has actually more worth than that Ginny bug” Her dad speaks for the first time, his voice hoarse and weak. “It is a wedding band”.

“Ahm…okay…sure…” Her grandpa Septimus would not mind. He has already gone beyond the Veil.

“Ginny …This is the ring you have to offer to your husband” Her mum says seriously.

“I think my future hubby would understand if we need to shop for a new ring.” Ginny is trying her best to not roll her eyes. Where is this going?

“Ginny…” Bill’s low cool voice echoed around the dining room.

“Read this”. He hands her a scroll. Its content written in blue ink:


"We, Abraxas Malfoy and Septimus Weasley, have agreed to our families' joint peace and solidarity against darkness. As a token of our promise to be the pillars of light of the Wizarding World, the Malfoy heir, Draco Lucius Malfoy will marry the first Weasley daughter in seven generations, Ginevra Molly Weasley before he turns 17. Their love and purity will bind our two powerful families eternally, cleansing our lands of atrocities and evil.

In the event that this vow has been broken, we offer the blood of their fathers, Lucius Malfoy and Arthur Weasley. May their deaths be enough to prevent others from dying."


Ginny felt her eyes bulge out from its sockets. She reread it. Her family has gone as silent as tombs. She chuckled before laughing sarcastically. Ron snatched the scroll from her.

“Blimey! What rubbish is this!” Ron yells. “Our sister has to marry that ferret?!”

Ginny directed a few slow claps to the twins, “You have really outdone yourselves this time. I do not know how you manage to bring Bill, Charlie or even Percy into this but do you really have to include Dad and Mum into your welcome home prank for us?”

“We did not.” George and Fred seriously. They are also acting in a whole new level. Ginny raises her hands in defeat.

“Whatever! I’m out of here” Ginny stands up from her chair.

“Ginny-“ She hears her dad’s pleading voice.

“Pawn, sell or throw the ring to St. Mungo’s. Shove it to Malfoy’s throat…I don’t care…Just stop this nonsense!” Her voice is rising. Nothing written in that damned paper is true, right?

“It is not a joke…” Her dad coughs loudly, causing their mum to worriedly fuss over him.

“No one is fooling you Ginny.” Bill says firmly. “Dad and Lucius Malfoy have been cursed. Magic leaves their bloodstream until they succumbed to their deaths. It is an ancient pureblood curse by their fathers to stop any feuds between the two families. I have checked everything. There is no counter-curse or healing potion for it. The only antidote that will prevent them from dying is your marriage with Malfoy’s only son before his 17th birthday.”

“This ring has been molded by dragon fire. The ancient runes embedded get activated once you have magically bonded with Draco Malfoy. It would recognize that the agreement has been fulfilled.” Charlie explains.

“I verified from my sources in the Ministry that the Department of Mysteries has the same conclusion. Despite Lucius Malfoy’s best efforts, he is not able to save his son from this whole ordeal either.” Percy adds.

“Draco will turn 17 on the 5th of June…” Her mum says softly. “So we have set the wedding date one week from now, June 3. “

“SHITE!” Ron curses under his breath.

“We’re very sorry Ginny dear. There is nothing we can do.” Her mother, the formidable Molly Weasley is crying now. FUCK.

Ginny collapses back to her chair, “No…No…This is not happening…I can’t…I won’t”

“WHY?!” She pounds her fists on the table, “WHY ME! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ME!”

“WHY NOW! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!” Tears are now pouring down on her face now.

“I DON’T WANT ANY OF THIS! I DO NOT EVEN LIKE HIM!” Red sparks are now coming from her body due to uncontrolled magic.

“Ginny!” She hears her mum calling her and her dad’s continuous cough.

“Ginny!” George and Fred try to hold her down.

“I HATE HIM!” The nearest glasses shattered.

“I WON’T!” The table cloth suddenly burns as Ginny yell and cry.

Her last vision was Bill pointing his wand at her before everything went black.

When she woke up, her three brothers are looking over her with worry and pity.

“It is just a nightmare, isn’t it?” Ron’s sad expression is enough reply for her to resume crying.

“How’s Dad?” Ginny asks in between sniffs.

“He fainted. A healer personally came to check up on him so he did not have to be brought to the hospital.” Ginny closes her eyes at Fred’s news.

“Courtesy of the Malfoys.” George added.

Ginny groans. She does not like how they are quick to act like in-laws now. It makes her furious and somehow guilty.

“Why do I not even have a choice” Her brothers were silent.

She thought of Harry. The laughter, kisses, and sweet moments they have shared. Now that she finally gained his affection and love she has been craving all these years, she has to let him go. The last two months have been too good to be true to last. Fairy tales do not exist.

Author notes: Another difficult chapter to write but I am thankful that I get to finish this despite being busy with certain life events. All Harry Potter jargons, characters, and book scenes are owned by J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter lexicon, wiki, and fandom websites served as my references. The ring under the table and the arranged marriage by the grandfathers are from Goong/Princess Hours. The rest of the scenes and dialogues are from my nocturnal mind. My neurons wish to tell you that the next chapters will have more Drinny scenes.

Leave a Review