Ginny gently opened her eyes. She is lying on her left side, face-to-face with her sleeping husband. His blond hair and aristocratic features highlighted by the morning rays. Draco Malfoy could be handsome when he is being pleasant and quiet like this.

Yesterday was not even so bad. True to his word, he let her borrow his old Nimbus 2001 and she later get to fly on his brand new Firebolt Supreme. He was congenial during their tour of the Malfoy French estate. He patiently answered her questions about the vineyard, the stables, and the hidden spots beyond the woods. It was already sunset when they came back to the Chateau.

They had a formal candle-lit dinner with her parents-in-law after. As part of celebrating their son's coming of age, Lucius Malfoy opened a treasured bottle of grand cru white wine that Dobby retrieved from the cellar. Dated 1980, it was specially made for the momentous birth of the Malfoy heir. Expensive broomstick and liquor. How could her edible gifts compete with that? Reminded again of the opulence of the family she married into, Ginny almost stopped the chocolate cake she baked from being served for dessert.

"It seems that you inherited your mother's culinary skills Ginny" Narcissa commented after taking a bite.

"I just knew a few recipes" Ginny shyly replies. She heard the birthday boy beside her murmur, "I like it though. Thank you."

Before the older couple left, her mother-in-law ascertained that the newly-weds entered the same bedroom by feigning concern and checking if the chambers are comfortable.

"Can you stop ogling me?" And the Slytherin brat is awake, stretching his body while his eyes are still shut.

"GOOD MORNING!" Ginny sarcastically greeted before kicking his legs causing him to nearly fall down from the king-size bed.

"Hostile girl!" He cussed before proceeding to the bathroom. He peeks from the door holding his toothbrush, "My mother will be disappointed to know that you have not touched your C potions"

"What? The vials lined up in the sink?" Ginny asks distractedly as she arranges their beddings. "I thought they are your vitamins"

He chortles, "I assure you that it 's definitely for you"

Ginny starts fluffing the pillows, "What do they do?"

"Looks like Potions is not your strong subject" She rolls her eyes at that remark. "Crescent concoctions are contraceptives"

Ginny snapped her head at the smirking face of the devil, "So that we won't be teenage parents"

As she could not drag him back to hell, she hurled a big pillow to his direction instead which he easily ducked.

She later joined him in the terrace connected to the dining hall. The table has been set up for an alfresco breakfast of various freshly-baked bread, fruits, jams, honey, and butter.

"Le chocolat chaud?" She gave her husband's house-elf a quizzical look. Ricky clarifies his offer, "Doez Young Miztrez wantz hot cocoa?"

"Ah sure" Grabbing a piece of croissant, she glanced at the blond across from her. France's wizarding newspaper is covering his face. He could read French?

He folded the broadsheet and reached for his coffee as black as his soul.

"Are you memorizing my face?" His focus still on the news as he breaks the brioche. Does he have an invisible third eye? "It's getting kinda creepy"

Denying his insinuation, Ginny threw a strawberry to him which he caught. Damn his seeker reflexes.

"Didn't your parents teach you not to mess with your food?" He tossed the strawberry to his mouth almost sensually. Is he deliberately teasing her?

Ginny grudgingly stabs her innocent croissant. Ricky reappeared moments later and handed his master a pair of metal rackets. After his careful inspection, he picked the racket with a black beam and white grip.

"What are you going to play?" Ginny blurts out as her husband rise from his seat.

"Tennis" He replies after downing the last of his coffee.

"Sounds traitorous" Ginny snorts. The Malfoys are such a hypocrite. Back in the Manor, they have a pool table and yesterday she glimpsed a set of table football in the salon. Turns out their pureblood supremacy is just shit. Ha. Tuning in to Muggle Studies lectures and Dean's explanation of football has its benefits.

The devil in white garb taps his left palm with the racket, "Just because the Muggles that you know are commoners does not mean that all of their sports are as muddy as as their blood"

How could he insult two of his classmates in one statement. He swings his racket as if testing it, "Tennis is a sport of kings. It might be difficult for you to grasp its royal reputation, considering that you have been exposed to plebeians."

Low blow. Snobbish prat.

"I won't mind teaching you though. Your outfit is ready for it anyway" He smiled smugly before walking towards the lawn.

Ginny groans at the truth of his assumption. She is wearing a white collared shirt tucked in its high waist pleated skirt. Estel must have connived with Ricky to assure that the couple would have matching tennis clothes.

Ginny gruffly grabbed the spare white and grey racket, intending to smack the arrogance out of the ferret's face.

--------

As expected, his wife made fast progress as a newbie tennis player. Aside from having Draco as a great model of proper stance and shots, using Quidditch as analogy for tennis helped her a lot. Assuming the role of a keeper, she has to protect her court and prevent the other player to score. Like beaters, she should hit the ball away towards the opponent's side. Utilizing her chaser instincts, she was swift and agile in catching and passing the ball. Their first tennis match was fun. Draco bets that even the famous Harry Potter could not have taught her better. For sure, the 'Chosen One' is solely a Quidditch prodigy. His scrawny built is useless in other sports.

Speaking of the red-head, he sees her approaching the sun lounger beside his. Pointing at him she says, "Here lies the evidence that vampires melting under the sun is just a myth."

Because Draco could be petty too so he retorted, "Will I be witnessing a transfiguration of a ginger into a tomato then?"

Her viridian kimono cardigan failed to hide the flush that crept from her face to the few freckles on her neck and upper chest. She plops herself down in the vacant seat huffing, "Waterproof sunscreen is pricey"

"Touché" Draco mutters as he flips the page of the travel magazine on his lap. Of course, her house-elf would rather get punished than thrift the suncream she packed for her young mistress.

Sunglasses on, his wife is happily sipping her pineapple juice. Done with browsing the articles, Draco decided that it's time for a dip. He stretched for a bit catching his wife lifting down her shades to get a better look of him in hunter green swimming trunks. Someone is still thirsty huh. Grinning at her, Draco playfully dives into the pool.

"HEY!" She yelps. She is surely wet now. Draco ignores her protest, swimming rapidly to the other end. He did a few more laps. Draco then noticed her doffing her cover-up, revealing a white one-piece swimsuit. Draco recognized it as Grecian style with v-neckline to define her cleavage and high cut leg to accentuate her hourglass figure. His mother is such a witch. She thought of this attire so that her son would definitely check out his wife. Despite Draco literally swimming away from temptation, the red-head moves near him. As if reading his thoughts she declares, "The Burrow has a pond".

That explains why she is a good swimmer. She follows him for another lap. And she is fast too.

"Ginger" He breathes. He hears her laugh, "Keep calling me that and I will be naming you Dragon"

He scowls at her but she just continued giggling, "It suits you, you tend to be intense and hot-headed"

"Stop that" He splashes some water on her face.

"Unfair!" She cries, elbowing him on his stomach as she showers him with water.

"Resorting to brutality again?" He grasps both of her hands to stop her revenge.

"You started it! " She sticks out her tongue. Childish but cute. Where did that compliment come from. That bathing suit is clouding his mind. "And why could I not remove my wedding rings even how hard I try?"

"Why would you?" She wiggles out of his grip.

"I just don't want these to get dirty or worse lose them. This jewelry set probably costs more than my soul" She jokes.

"You don't have to worry about that. The rings are created out of authentic gems and pure platinum. It is tarnish resistant and very solid." Draco omits the fact that she won't lose them because both are equipped with a locator charm in case she gets lost. "It was also charmed not to fall off from your finger"

"Like a sticky charm?" She asks. More like a fidelity charm to remind the couple and the people around them of their marriage. Only Draco get to take it off from her as she is the sole person who could remove his wedding band. Malfoy men are extremely protective and territorial of their wives. Family traits she does not need to know.

"Whatever" She shrugs, tip toeing as she comes closer to him.
Before he could react, she slyly attempted to dunk his head on the pool. Draco collected her to his arms, in return. She shrieked when he abruptly dropped her to the water. All is fair in love and war.

--------

After a quick breakfast of French toast and cinnamon smoothie, Ginny found herself standing in the driveway beside her husband. A few minutes passed and their personal house-elves emerged from the underground parking. Each of them pushing a vehicle with two wheels.

"Are those bicycles?" Ginny looked incredulously at the Malfoy heir. For an elitist pureblood family, they have more complicated Muggle contraptions than her supposed "blood traitor" dad.

"Very good observation" He replies sarcastically. He grabs the white bike with front basket from Estel. "I am assuming you are aware of how to ride one."

"I think so. But it 's been years since my last time" Once Ginny discovered the thrill of flying, she completely abandoned cycling.

He nods as he inspects the handle bars, pedals, brakes, lights, and bell. He adjusts the saddle before handing the bicycle to her, "Procedural memory is the last to be forgotten. You might need a refresher though. Do a bit of warm-up"

"For someone who dislikes Muggles, you are quite knowledgeable of their inventions" Ginny says, slowly circling around her husband who is checking his black bike.

"Know thy enemy" He quips. "Enough to justify thy aversion to them".

Straddling his bicycle he announces, "We're heading out of the Chateau"

"Where are we going?" Ginny stops cycling. She could not believe they would actually go outside of the estate.

"There is a town not far from here" He informs her before speeding towards the gate. He definitely remembers how to bike.

--------

"Hey! Wait up!" He could hear his wife calling him. "Malfoy! Don't go too fast!"

Draco has already slowed down a couple of times when they reached the main road. She gets left behind because of her rusty biking skills. He might have overestimated her Muggle-loving tendencies.

"DRACO!" She yells, halting him. It is weird hearing her speak of his first name. But given their marital status, it should be normal for them right?

"YOU DRAGON!" Or not. He sees her pedaling closer to him. Her cheeks flushed from the heat. Good thing her flaming hair is in ponytail. "You hurry as if you're in a race"

"Whatever you say Slow Poke Ginger" She is very easy to tease.

"Stop calling me that!" Pretty hypocrite. He raises an eyebrow at her, "How should I address you then?"

"Ginny" She rolls her brown eyes a matter-of-factly. He has never been in a first-name basis with Potter and Co., but she could be the exemption.

"Fine. You should stick with Draco then" Yes, double-meaning. For her safety and his peace of mind, she should. They are near their destination anyway.

-------

"Welcome to Aix-en-Provence" Draco declares. Ginny remains speechless, taking in the sight of cobbled streets lined up with yellow stone buildings and tall plane trees. They are really in abroad.

"The City of One Thousand Fountains" She notices one at every turn. Maybe she should start counting to verify that trivia! After parkIng their bikes, Draco suggested they start in the Mazarin Quarter. At the intersection, they find a free-standing fountain with four dolphins on it.

"Fontaine des Quatre Dauphins" He sounds like a different person when he speaks another language. They pass by elaborate hotels and high-end boutiques. They stop in front of a church, "Church of Saint Jean de Malte, the first Gothic church in Provence".

Saints. Catholic. This is actually a place of Christian worship! Draco is about to enter but Ginny tugs the sleeve of his white polo. He gives her a confused look.

Ginny risks a peek at the holy statues indoors before whispering, "They might detect our magic".

He snorts, "I promise you, neither of us will be burned at stake".

Before she could protest, Draco is already pulling her inside. Okay, flames have not appeared on their bodies yet. They walked further into the aisle. Both of them remain intact. Maybe they really won't get roasted after all. Perhaps there is another form of torture waiting for them.

Her husband must have sensed her heightened vigilance because he gestures for her to focus at a particular painting instead. Perfectly still, a long-haired man was crucified and crowned with thorns.

"Jesus Christ!" She exclaims.

"If the Muggles were forgiven for persecuting their own God. Surely, He would not be that cruel to punish us for genuinely admiring His church." He assures Ginny. "Come on, its bell tower is the highest point in Aix."

Next door is Musée Granet. Named after the local Aix painter François Marius Granet, the museum houses a collection of various paintings, sculptures, and cultural artifacts. After their Muggle art appreciation, they sit in an outdoor cafe to eat lunch and rest.

Ginny is staring at the menu as if she is deciphering ancient runes. She could not understand anything except the numbers for the prices. Wait. How is she going to pay for her meal. Did Estel pack her old wallet in the black designer mini backpack she is carrying today? Does she even have enough money? She glances at her husband. He is not bothered at all as he peruse the food selection.

"Draco, I can't...I don't... know...speak French" She blushes at his gaze. He nods, signalling for the waiter. He confidently orders for the two of them.

Two glasses of pale pink liquid are quickly delivered to their table.

"Cold rosé" He raises his glass in mock cheers. "The world famous Provencal wine"

Ginny tilts her glass to her lips, tasting the drink. It is aromatic and has a fruity flavor.

"I like it" She comments. "It's refreshing"

With the sun at its highest, it is the right time to be in the shade and cool down. Ginny is also thankful that Estel dressed her in comfortable clothes suited for the sunny weather and walking. She is wearing a polkadot scarf, loose white button down shirt with rolled up short sleeves and tucked in a fitted ankle-length black pants with matching white sneakers.

"I knew you would like it better than the other wines you previously tried." In the past few days, the Malfoys have exposed Ginny to alcohol more than her father ever did. They must be training her to be a wine sommelier or something. "I ordered panisse as appetizer"

He points at the platter of crunchy looking chickpea fritters. For the main course, a bowl of fragrant mayonaise is at the center of the plate surrounded by fish, hard-boiled eggs, potatoes and vegetables. Draco calls it "Le Grand Aïoli".

Savoring the garlicky taste Ginny praises the meal, "It pairs up nicely with the rosé!"

Satisfied of her reaction, Draco smiles as he slices a piece of fish.

"So does your family spend your summer here in Provence every year?" Ginny inquires over a dessert of frozen nougat.

"Yes when I was younger. Before I went to Hogwarts" He sips from his wine. "Since then, we have been doing short trips in other countries too"

"It's my first time traveling to France" Ginny forgot the specific French town or city her sister-in-law Fleur came from but she studied in Beauxbatons. "I have been to Romania and Egypt though"

"Ah when your father won the lottery" Embarrassed that he remembers her family's source of travel funds, she redirects the conversation back to him, "So what do you like about this side of France and how does it compare to other places you have visited"

"Provence taught me to observe, relax and enjoy. Be free. Wander. The art of being a flaneur". His grey eyes scanning the passing tourists "And that Magic and Muggles can just simply and peacefully coexist. Britain and America just make it complicated."

Ginny agrees. Non-magical or not, it seems that people just easily blend here. No designated alleys or hidden pathways to separate both worlds.

"Besides, New York is noisy and polluted" He leaves a few galleons on their table as he stands up. "Let us have a stroll of Le Cours Mirabeau".

--------

Draco leads Ginny to La Fontaine de la Rotonde. The fountain with the statues of the "Three Graces" mark the start of the Le Cours Mirabeau. They walk along the wide boulevard. Draco kept an eye for three important fountains.

"Ginny" Draco tests her given name. "That's the Nine Canon Fountain over there. The other is the Hot Water Fountain."

"That sure is mossy" His wife mutters. "Who is that?"

She moves towards a fountain with a male statue holding a bunch of grapes, "That is King Rene. He brought Muscat grapes to Provence".

They admire the Baroque architecture of Place D’Albertas before entering the Saturday market. Stalls selling different goods welcome them.

"So this is why the Chateau has been smelling like lavender for days" She gently sniffs a bar of soap. "Provence is well-known for the flowers"

She nods, "Would be good as souvenirs"

They move further into the market. Draco notes that Ginny browses the products but immediately puts them down once she has checked the price.

"You can buy whichever you like" His statement causes her to flush.

"Ahm...I...I" She is avoiding eye contact. "I don't have money"

Aware of Ginny's history of poverty, his mother surely instructed her house-elf to pack a new wallet filled with galleons. Ginny must have assumed that the purse on her back is just to compliment her outfit.

"No problem." She looks at him, brows furrowed. She must have been waiting for his insult. "Ginny. Just choose what you want. It's fine"

Draco speaks to the vendor in French, telling him to charge what Ginny buys into the Malfoy tab. Recognizing his surname and blond features, the man immediately fuss over Ginny showing her the best wares.

"You know each other? " Ginny mouths. Draco shrugs, "One of our tenants. We own this space"

Surprised at the news, she is speechless so Draco adds "They will deliver it to the Chateau. You don't have to worry about limiting the amount or weight of your purchase"

After shopping, they proceeded to Atelier Cézanne. The receptionist easily identified him and let them inside the studio even without booked tickets.

"Is he the man in the bronze medallion in one of the fountains?" She is referring to La Fontaine des Bagniers, a National Historic Monument. Draco nods, "He is Paul Cezanne, the Father of Modern Painting. A few of his minor paintings are displayed in the Granet Museum"

"You are quite acquainted with Muggle artists" She mumbles. He shakes his head, "I just appreciate art in all its forms"

"Seigneur Malfoy!" He turns to see the descendant of Master Cezanne bouncing towards them. "I did not know you were back in town!"

"Just for a few days." Draco answers in French. The middle-aged man looks at Ginny, figuring out if he has met her before. To end his scrutiny, Draco reluctantly introduces Ginny as his wife. Draco dislikes nosy people.

Delighted of his unexpected gossip scoop, the man offered to accompany them in exploring the rest of the Atelier.

"It is my honor to give you a tour Mademoiselle" With a twinkle on his eyes, he kisses Ginny's backhand. Draco almost groaned. Tonight, the whole of Provence society circle will know that the future Lord Malfoy just got married and is in town honeymooning with his red-haired wife.

--------

The young couple is standing on the viewpoint overlooking Mont Sainte-Victoire. The landscape inspired many of Cezanne's masterpieces.

"You have a magical version of this painting! The moving scenery!" Ginny squeals at one of the replicas.

"Yes. In the living room." Draco agrees. "The other Cezanne that we have is in the dining hall"

"The one with a fruit falling from the bowl?" The Malfoys have 2 artworks of this world-renowned painter. How influential and rich could they be "I thought he was a Muggle"

"He was born a wizard but instead of studying magic, he used it to hone his craft and revolutionize art." Draco explains. "As a family friend, he sold the only magical paintings he created to us"

Ginny is silent as they walked back to the market. How could a bully, git, Slytherin she knew from Hogwarts have an alter ego in the form of patient, almost friendly husband she is here with in Southern France. A soft palm grasps her right hand, placing a bouquet of lavender on top of it.

It must be the spell-binding scent that encouraged her to touch his chest then neck until her ring-clad fingers reach his right cheek. The fairylights dared her to stare at his handsome face. And the tunes from La Fête de la Musique probably enchanted her to say, "You are a very interesting wizard Draco Malfoy".

Author notes: I know I'm a "slow poke". I tried writing faster but aside from continuing the story, I was also mapping out their honeymoon itinerary. I have become Drinny's travel planner. So I settled for my current pace. I have not visited France yet, so the details mentioned here came from my extensive research for this fanfiction and future travels. My neurons worked hard. Tell me your thoughts.

P.S. Have you noticed the trail of hints I left behind?

To Be Continued.
ginevramalfoy0811 is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Perhaps Love also liked 39 other stories.
Leave a Review