Chapter Eleven: Whisper

Catch me as I fall
Say you’re here and it’s all over now
Speaking to the atmosphere
No one’s here and I fall into myself
This truth drives me into madness
I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away
If I will it all away

Don’t turn away
Don’t give into the pain
Don’t try to hide
Though they’re screaming your name
Don’t close your eyes
God knows what lies behind them
Don’t turn out the lights
Never sleep and never die

I’m frightened by what I see
But somehow I know that there’s much more to come
Immobilized by my fear
And soon to be blinded by tears
I can stop the pain if I will it all away
If I will it all away

Don’t turn away
Don’t give into the pain
Don’t try to hide
Though they’re screaming your name
Don’t close your eyes
God knows what lies behind them
Don’t turn out the lights
Never sleep and never die

Fallen angels at my feet
Whispered voices at my ear
Death before my eyes
Lying next to me I fear
She beckons me shall I give in
Upon my end shall I begin
Forsaking all I’ve fallen for I rise to meet the end

Don’t turn away
Don’t give into the pain
Don’t try to hide
Though they’re screaming your name
Don’t close your eyes
God knows what lies behind them
Don’t turn out the lights
Never sleep and never die

Don’t turn away
Don’t try to hide
Don’t close your eyes
Don’t turn out the lights

Don’t turn away
Don’t try to hide
Don’t close your eyes
Don’t turn out the lights


-Evanescence

*~*~*~*~*


As hard as Ginevra tried to keep herself awake for Draco’s sake, she could no longer resist her exhausted body’s demands, and fell into a deep slumber.

Ginny found herself stranded in a dark, snow-covered forest. Trees surrounded her, and their trunks were so close together that they prevented her from seeing with any stray light. There was nothing familiar about the place that might indicate where she was located. She tried to look around herself in disbelief, but felt as though she was blind. So, she stood there for a few minutes, confused, alone, and shivering without a cloak.

To keep her blood pumping throughout her body, Ginevra slowly began to walk about the forest as best as she could. The snow on the ground was knee-high and she had no idea of the direction she was headed in, but she followed her feet. Desperate to find answers, Ginny constantly went in search of some sort of light.

The ominous hoot of an owl startled Ginevra, and she tried to place the location of that sound as she headed towards it. The forest around her grew lighter, and she was finally able to see the trees clearly as she passed by them. Gradually, the clusters of trees thinned out until she found herself in a large clearing. In the middle was an enormous, ancient tree. Unconsciously, she began to move toward it; something was drawing her to that tree, and her curiosity encouraged her to discover what it was about this mysterious tree that had captured her interest.

A pile of fresh, white snow covered the bottom of the tree, but as she gained distance, Ginny could see a nearly covered part of an enormous hole in the trunk of the tree. As she slowly walked closer, she could see the meagre sunlight glint on something golden that looked suspiciously like hair. Ginevra broke into a run as she realized that there was a person within that tree. ‘Maybe they can help me get out of here. Oh no! What if they are in trouble? Or, what if I am putting myself in danger?’ By the time Ginny began to debate these possibilities, she could not turn back. She had reached the small space visible in the tree, as she bent down to look closer.

Draco still sat with his knees pulled close to his chest for warmth, contemplating whether it was best to give up and let himself die, or whether it was worthwhile to fight for his life. In fact, he had been debating over this for so long that the snow had practically covered the opening of cave-like hole in the tree. Yet, he still hadn’t made a decision. ‘If I don’t let go now, I will have to keep fighting for the rest of my life. First, I will have to use all of my strength to fight for my survival, so I can live again. Even if I can do that, I will be left only to fight with the Weasleys for Ginevra. Then, I have to fight to leave the Deatheaters, which would force me to fight to win the war against Voldemort. My life will be a constant battle and I don’t think that I can do it. The simplest solution is just to give up, and it seems to be the best one for everyone involved. Even if I do wake up, will Ginevra still be waiting for me?’ Draco’s thoughts plummeted him into depression, and his self-pitying was interrupted when he heard a sound close to the tree.

“Hello?!” Ginevra yelled.

Draco sat up a little, in a panic. ‘Oh Merlin, It’s Ginevra! What am I going to do? I haven’t even decided if I want to live or not yet, and now I have to try and explain everything to her!’ Draco was becoming extremely apprehensive; although he knew in his heart that he loved Ginevra and wanted to be with her forever, his head was swirling with reasons to the contrary.

Ginny suddenly realized who was hiding within the tree. “Draco? What are you doing here? Where are we? More importantly, how did I get here?” Ginevra bombarded Draco with questions, anxious for answers.

“I don’t know!” Draco yelled aggressively in response, his voice muffled as it came through the layer of snow between them. His fear was rising to the surface now that overwhelming confusion and anxiety destroyed his controlled façade. “I’m really sorry Ginevra. I didn’t mean to snap at you, I was just surprised that you were here. I am having a really difficult time figuring all of this out myself.” Draco apologized.

“It’s okay Draco, I understand. I am just so happy that I found you; when you suddenly stopped communicating with me I was frightened that I would never see or hear you again. I thought I’d lost you forever…” Ginny explained while trying to force back her tears, and control her emotions for Draco’s sake. If the only thing she could do to help save Draco was to be strong and supportive, then she would do that, even if it killed her in the process.

Ginevra was frustrated at not being able to see Draco, so she began to dig away the snow between them. Her bare hands began to ache with pain after only removing a very small amount of the barrier that was trapping Draco inside the hollow tree. “Draco, I don’t know how you got in there, but don’t worry, I am going to get you out,” Ginny insisted with concern. She continued digging, and was finally able to catch his eye.

Draco quickly pulled his eyes away from Ginevra’s, thinking ‘I can’t do this; I can’t let her believe that I want to be saved when the only thing I really want is to be left here and to leave this world without having to regret it.’ Draco feared that if Ginny thought there was the possibility that he could live, she would be relentless in trying to save him until she could hold him in her arms again.

“Ginevra, wait!” Draco nearly yelled. “This is all a dream, this is where I ended up when I was pulled from reality. I don’t think there is any way for you to save me now,” Draco said reluctantly, knowing that it would not be that simple to convince Ginevra to leave.

“No Draco.” Ginny retorted stubbornly, unwilling to believe what she was being told. She continued to dig at the snow as best as she could. “This isn’t the end of it. I will help you get out of there, and then you will be able to come back to reality with me.”

“You know Ginny, they always say that your dreams reflect what is really happening in reality. I’m stuck in this tree, which is probably an indication of how I will be stuck in this world forever. It isn’t worth the effort when my death is inescapable.”

By this time Ginny had stopped digging at the snow bank separating her and Draco. “No Draco, you are not stuck; you are hiding. You’re hiding from all of your problems, attempting to save yourself from all of the pain and heartbreak. Draco, you are just being held back by all of your insecurities, trapped by all of your fears. If you stop hiding and face all of that, then there will be nothing keeping you from coming back to reality.” Ginevra did not know how she knew all of that information, but she knew that everything she had said was true. Perhaps Ginny was able to tell Draco all of that because it was his dream and he needed to hear it; moreover, he needed to hear it from the one person in reality that had never given up on him and had never stopped loving him, despite every mistake that he made.

‘She’s right you know,’ Draco fought with himself. ‘If you go back to reality with her, you’ll have already overcome the largest obstacle. You’ve fallen this far; if you go back you will have taken a step toward redemption, towards recovering every significant thing that you have lost.’ Draco was still perplexed; one part of him was begging him to give up everything and take the easy way out, while the other was urging him to go back to reality and make everything right again. ‘If only Ginevra knew what she was asking me to do…’

“Draco, you don’t have to come back to me if that is what you really want. I just want you to know that I have never stopped loving you, and I never will. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I will never forget what you’ve done for me. If you really want to let go and die, then I will support you. It’s your decision.” Ginevra tried to show Draco that if he didn’t want to live and be with her, then she did not want to force him into it.

Draco turned and looked her in the eyes, and quickly looked away again. ‘Look at her face; I can tell she is holding in her emotions and staying strong for me. I can’t stand to see her like that; it would be easier just to see her cry.’ However, another voice deep within him argued back, ‘You can see that she loves you by how hard it is for her to think about your death. Imagine if it actually happened; it would cause her more devastation than she could ever live through.

Draco slowly let go of his knees and straightened his legs. Simultaneously, he began to let go of his fears, and he hesitantly looked into Ginevra’s eyes.

“Maybe I will see you again Draco. Just remember that I love you,” Ginny said sadly as she straightened again and walked back to the trees. She did not look back as Draco watched her walk away until she was soon no longer visible.

As he watched the love of his life walk away from him, Draco was finally struck with the fact that she was walking out of his life. As the pain in his heart slowly began to increase, Draco realised that there was only one way to put a stop to it. He quickly began digging out of his hole, finally conquering all of his fears that were keeping him and Ginevra apart.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny woke up disoriented, and dazed. She quickly remembered that she was in the hospital wing with Draco when she saw that plain white sheets covered her. Then she remembered what had just transpired in her dream, or rather Draco’s. Ginny hesitantly looked over at Draco’s bed, still unsure of the decision that Draco had made.

“Hi love,” she heard as her eyes met Draco’s shining silver-grey ones.

Ginny quickly jumped out of her bed as she rushed over and gave Draco an enormous hug. “Oh Draco, I didn’t think that I was ever going to see you again!” Ginny said as tears of happiness streamed down her face.

“I know and I am truly sorry,” Draco said as he pulled away from her to look into her eyes. “You see, it wasn’t until I thought I might have lost you forever that I realised the mistake I was making. I love you, and I never want to be without you again.” Draco said sincerely as he sat up. Ginny had a large smile, and her brown eyes shone; Draco leaned in to her for a kiss.

“Ahem!” Draco and Ginny quickly pulled apart as they noticed Professor Dumbledore standing before them.

“I am glad to see that you are awake and well, Mr. Malfoy,” Dumbledore exclaimed with a twinkle in his eye. “I have some news that the two of you need to hear,” Dumbledore began.

Draco and Ginny’s faces went blank as they anticipated how this news might keep them apart. “Lucius Malfoy was captured by Aurors last night, and is now incarcerated in Azkaban for attempted murder,” Dumbledore revealed. He looked at Draco directly, and explained, “Miss Weasley explained your situation to me, and I believe that neither of you are in any further danger at this time. When you are feeling better, Mr. Malfoy, I would like to discuss how you could help with the fight against Voldemort. That is, if you wish to do so?” Dumbledore asked.

“Of course sir.” Draco responded confidently.

“Very good. I must be going.” Dumbledore turned to head towards the door. When he reached it, he paused and turned back to Draco and Ginny. “After hearing your story, I believe that your relationship will survive anything. The two of you have experienced many horrible things in your lives, and I am certain that you have only been good influences for each other, despite everyone else’s concerns. I sincerely wish you both the best; if you ever need anything, I am here to help.” With that, Dumbledore winked and left the infirmary.

*~*~*~*~*


After good rest for two days, Draco was finally released from the infirmary. The morning he was released, he and Ginny walked hand-in-hand towards Dumbledore’s office. When they opened the door, they found Arthur and Molly Weasley in armchairs in front of Dumbledore’s desk. Both of their jaws seemed to drop in shock.

“Mr. Malfoy, Miss Weasley, I am pleased that you got my message.” Dumbledore stated as Draco and Ginny stopped gaping and finally walked into the room.

“Oh Ginny, sweetie, I am so happy to see that you are all right,” Molly gushed as she rose from her seat and walked towards Ginny. “When we heard what had happened from Professor Dumbledore, I was so frightened that you might have been injured.”

Ginny took a step backwards as she saw her mother moving towards her. “Yes, I’m fine mother; I believe that we’ll be leaving now,” Ginevra replied harshly, and made a move to leave.

“Ginevra Weasley! Do not speak to your mother like that!” Arthur Weasley shouted. After calming himself a bit, he continued, “I know that you are angry with us for forbidding you to see Draco, but we were only trying to protect you.”

“Protect me from what? Draco? He is not dangerous, he loves me and would never hurt me,” Ginevra replied defensively.

“It was not Draco we were worried about, honey; it was Lucius, and rightfully so. Look what almost happened to you and Draco, because of Lucius’ anger. Please,” he said, raising a placating hand, “We did not come here to fight with you. We just wanted to tell you that we are sorry for not explaining our reasoning behind our decision. And, you should know that we will not keep you from Draco if you wish to be with him. With Lucius in Azkaban we no longer need to worry about your safety, so you may do whatever makes you happy.”

“You really approve?” Ginevra asked suspiciously.

“Yes,” Molly responded smiling.

“Thank you!” Ginevra said relieved, as she ran over to give her parents a hug.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny and Draco left Dumbledore’s office and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast. When they reached the Great Hall, both still smiling widely, they found Ron and Hermione waiting for them.

“Hey Gin. Can I talk to you for a minute?” Ron asked looking at the floor, ashamed.

“Sure,” Ginny replied pleasantly; she had promised her parents to try and work things out with Ron. Secretly, as much as she hated Ron for always taking Harry’s side, she loved him and missed him.

Hermione elbowed Ron in the side, forcing him look up at Ginny. “I am sorry for not listening to you, Gin. I know I can’t make your decisions for you. I still think that you should be with Harry, but if that’s not what you want then I won’t try and force you together.”

“I’m sorry too, Ron, I overreacted. You were just trying to protect me, and I took it the wrong way. I don’t want us to fight anymore; it is tearing our family apart.” Ginny responded.

Ron smiled with relief, and grabbed Ginevra in a big hug. “Ron! Put me down!” Ginny squealed, as her feet were no longer touching the floor.

“Fine!” Ron whined, putting Ginny down with a mock huff.

Draco put his arm around Ginevra’s waist as she gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Look mate,” Ron said, turning towards Draco, “As long as my little sister is happy, I’m happy for the two of you. But if you ever hurt her, there will be hell to pay,” he threatened, while squaring his shoulders to make sure that Draco saw how Ron towered over him by several inches.

“I don’t think you have anything to worry about,” Draco smirked, putting his hand out. Ron grasped his hand firmly, as they shook hands, calling a truce for Ginevra’s sake.

*~*~*~*~*


Harry had watched the entire scene with Ron and Ginny unfold while hiding in the shadows. His plan to keep Draco and Ginny had been brilliantly successful, but in the end it wasn’t brilliant enough to keep them apart.

He had read in Hermione’s copy of the Daily Prophet how Lucius had tried to kill Draco to keep them apart. As he innocently ate his breakfast, he came up with another scheme to destroy their relationship once and for all.

After he was finished, Harry excused himself, telling Ron and Hermione he had forgotten his Potion’s book, and headed up to the owlery. Harry tied the scroll that he had written at breakfast to the brown school owl’s leg. He gave it a treat and told it to send the letter to “Lucius Malfoy, Azkaban Prison.”

When the owl left, Harry smirked evilly, and rushed to his Potions class. As he went down the stairs towards the dungeons, he reread the letter in his head.

Dear Mr. Malfoy,

I have some news that I thought might be relevant to you. I am currently watching your son, Draco Malfoy, enjoy his breakfast with Ginevra Weasley. They have been smiling, kissing, and holding hands all morning, ecstatic to be together.

It has been rumoured that Headmaster Dumbledore and even the Weasleys approve of their relationship. I felt that it was my duty to report this to you, as I know that Malfoys do not like to fail. However, the scene that I am witnessing right now indicates that you have done so.

I hope that you will take the necessary steps to ensure that your wishes are respected and adhered to by your only son, Draco.

Sincerely,

A confused and distressed observer


*~*~*~*~*


A/N:
Okay that was it, the last chapter – review and tell me what you thought if this chapter and the story in general!
I've started the sequel to Fallen, and it is called Something Real, it is a work in progress, but I am hoping to get it posted here soon. It basically just resolves the evil cliffie I left here and starts a few years in the future.
Other than that I really need to thank my beta Jawy for helping me so much with this story. She had so many great ideas and definitely helped me to improve my writing so I am very thankful. REVIEW!!

dracosslytheringal

*~*~*~*~*


09/15/04:
The sequel is currently on hiatus as I cannot devote enough time to writing as I'd like to. So, if you would like to read the prologue and chapter 1 to 'Something Real', please do so at fanfiction.net where it is currently posted under my author's name dracosslytheringal (remember the 2 s'!) and read there. I will try to post it here as well but it takes so long to post when I have to enter everything manually... Thanks so much and if you've reviewed please look under 'Reviews' as I have responded to each one individually there.

*~*~*~*~*

dracosslytheringal
The End.
dracosslytheringal is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 18 members. Members who liked Fallen also liked 1165 other stories.
Leave a Review