Chapter Two: Bring Me To Life

How can you see into my eyes like open doors
Leading you down into my core
Where I’ve become so numb without a soul
My spirit sleeping somewhere cold
Until you find it there and lead it back home

Wake me up inside
Wake me up inside
Call my name and save me from the dark
Bid my blood to run before I come undone
Save me from the nothing I’ve become

Now that I know what I’m without
You can’t just leave me
Breathe into me and make me real
Bring me to life

Wake me up inside
Wake me up inside
Call my name and save me from the dark
Bid my blood to run before I come undone
Save me from the nothing I’ve become
Bring me to life

Frozen inside without your touch without your love
Darling only you are the life among the dead

All this time I can’t believe I couldn’t see
Kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems
Got to open my eyes to everything
Without a thought without a voice without a soul
Don’t let me die here there must be something more
Bring me to life

Wake me up inside
Wake me up inside
Call my name and save me from the dark
Bid my blood to run before I come undone
Save me from the nothing I’ve become
Bring me to life


-Evanescence

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny exited the train and in the same monotonous fashion as every year, they travelled to Hogwarts castle. Ginny was glad to be back at school, at least here she had her classes and homework to occupy her thoughts, and she would have less time to wallow about Harry. Ever since she had talked to Draco on the train she could not get him out of her head, she felt a connection with him that she had never experienced before, she felt comfortable with him and trusted him, yet felt like she knew nothing about him. Draco fascinated her, yet confused her at the same time, she thought she loved Harry, but how could love bring her so much pain? She needed to see Draco again, she needed to tell him everything, she would not let Harry be an obstacle in her path of happiness any longer, and she was going to move on, she owed it to herself. Ginny knew that Draco was the only person who could help her; he was the only other person that could understand her situation, her depression. She had to see Draco as soon as possible.

“Hey Drakie, where were you on the train? I looked everywhere for you, I missed you; I had hoped we could have had some fun if you know what I mean…” Pansy touched Draco’s chest seductively as she tried to persuade him to notice her. Pansy was a tall, attractive girl, with long blonde hair, who possessed all of the right assets that would make any guy’s head turn. However, Draco wasn’t biting, he just ignored her and continued his conversation with his best mate Blaise.

Draco’s thought were flooded by Ginevra Weasley, before today he never would have given her the time of day, in fact before today he made her life hell, but now, he could not get enough of her. Her sheer presence caused excitement in him, he needed to help her, he needed her help, he wanted to see her, and they needed to talk. Thoughts of what had transpired between them earlier overwhelmed Draco, and he not only realised that he was attracted to Ginevra, but he actually cared for her. All of these new emotions were relentless, he wanted to tell her how he felt, but he decided he had to wait until they worked through their individual problems before they could have a relationship. Nevertheless, if they helped each other they could get there much quicker.

Everyone had settled in and dinnertime came quickly. The entire school filled the Great Hall as the annual sorting ceremony and grand feast were to take place that evening. Ginny sat down at the Gryffindor table by herself, but not far from the Golden Trio, so that she looked as if she had some friends. Over the past year, Ginny had distanced herself from any friends she had, as she preferred to spend time by herself and avoid almost all communication with anyone else. Ginny looked across the Great Hall to the Slytherin table where she saw the platinum blond hair of none other than Draco Malfoy. A slight smile crept across her face as she caught Draco’s eye; he gave her his infamous Malfoy smirk, which caused Ginny to blush and look away.

The sorting ceremony began and everyone’s attention was occupied while they welcomed their new housemates and then with the feast that evening and talking to their friends about what they had missed over the summer. Ginny did not have a very good appetite and felt even worse because of all the happy students around her enjoying themselves. She had to go somewhere else, she couldn’t handle it anymore, so she got up and left the feast early, with of course no one noticing her absence.

However one person did notice Ginny’s absence, Draco looked up to the doors of the Great Hall just as Ginny slipped through them supposedly unnoticed. Draco got up from the table, completely ignoring Pansy’s whining about how she was talking to him. Draco quickly followed Ginny into the foyer, where he caught up to her. “Ginevra” Draco said as he touched her arm to get her to stop. Draco’s face immediately lit up at Ginny smiled at him; that was the first time Draco had seen her smile, and she looked the most beautiful he had ever seen her. It was at that moment that Draco became determined to make Ginny happy so that he could see her smile like that constantly.

“Draco!” Ginny answered a little too enthusiastically.

“I noticed you leave, and I wanted to talk to you. About earlier today…” Draco was cut off by Ginny’s interruption.

“Draco can we go somewhere else to talk?” Ginny asked slightly worried about what might happen if people saw them together, but more concerned with privacy because she knew what Draco wanted to talk about and would rather not discuss it publicly.

“Sure.” Draco replied.

Ginny grabbed Draco’s hand and pulled him down the hall towards the Room of Requirement. The physical contact between them sent a sensation coursing through their veins, it made both of them forget their troubles and just smile. They stopped in front of a wall, Ginny told Draco to wait for a moment, Ginny walked in front of the wall three times, and finally a door appeared. Draco and Ginny entered the room to find a large comfortable couch, and an armchair in front of a fireplace that contained a roaring fire.

They sat down next to each other on the couch, and there was an awkward moment of silence between them until Draco spoke. “Ginevra, I have been thinking about you all day since earlier on the train. I think that we should help each; I think we need to help each other.” Draco could not tell what Ginny’s reaction was, she was almost as good at hiding her emotions as he was, but when he looked into her eyes he knew exactly what she wanted. “I can see it in your eyes, you want to live, but there are too many barriers keeping you from it. You want to experience love, but your holding back because you are still waiting around for Potter, you want to be happy but you have sheltered yourself from the world.” Draco took Ginny’s hand in his, and Ginny turned to look him in the eyes again. “I want the same things, I want to live but my family’s reputation is holding me back, I want to experience love but my family forbids it, and I want to be happy but I have too many people in my way. Ginny we can help each other get those things but you have to let down your walls and just trust me.”

Ginny continued to look into Draco’s eyes knowing that Draco truly wanted those things and actually wanted to help her achieve those things too. “Draco I do want those things, and all that you said is true, we do need to help each other be happy, but it took me so long to build up these walls, to keep people from truly seeing the person that I am deep down. I have worked so hard to create this façade that you have to understand it isn’t so simple to just forget why I created them in the first place.”

Draco and Ginny sat in front of the fire for what seemed like forever, just gazing into each other’s eyes, the windows to their souls, Draco still grasping Ginny’s hand. Ginny finally continued, “Draco as hard as it is to forget the things that have produced this false person that I have become, I am willing to try to forget for you. I want your help, and I need to help you, I need to feel like I am important to someone, and to feel like someone needs me.” Draco could sense the emotion in every one of her words, and knew that what they were doing was right.

“I have experienced many horrific things in my life, and I don’t think that I can forget them and I don’t expect you to forget anything in your life either, it is everything that happens in our lives that makes us who we are, and that is important. But, we can overcome these things, I can’t stand being constantly depressed and miserable anymore, not because of my family, and I don’t think anyone should feel that way either, especially not you.” Draco’s eyes expressed the passion behind his words, and Ginny felt truly moved. This was the first time in as long as she could remember that she felt important, that she felt like she was no longer being ignored.

Ginny could not break Draco’s gaze; Draco smirked and it brought a smile to Ginny’s face. Draco slowly brought his hand to caress her cheek and then leaned in to kiss her. Ginny kissed back slightly; it was a very light kiss, but it had so much emotion behind it, it expressed more than words ever could. Draco pulled away, as he watched a bigger smile grace Ginny’s face. ‘Maybe it will not be as hard as I thought to make her happy, and maybe it will not be as hard as I thought for me to be happy.’ Draco thought.

Draco and Ginny sat there for hours, Draco had his arm around Ginny’s shoulder, and she felt comfortable and cared for. Ginny had already started to destroy some of the many barriers she had constructed, she was letting someone get close to her, and she was letting someone get to know the real person that lived deep inside of her.

That night Draco told Ginny of his father’s history with dark magic, and Voldemort, and all of the things he had grown up being taught, and how his life changed when he came to Hogwarts. He told Ginny about the lack of love, sensitivity, or expression of emotion, that he grew up with in his family. Draco spoke of the future his father had planned for him, how he was supposed to become a Death Eater, and how he was terrified that he might not be able to avoid following in his father’s legacy.

Ginny told Draco of how she grew up with a wonderful, caring family, but how they could just never understand her, and of what happened in the Chamber of Secrets during her first year at Hogwarts. She also told him of everything since that year that had caused her life to go downhill and of all of her experiences with Harry that kept her from being happy. Finally, she told Draco about how she had hit rock bottom that summer and how he couldn’t have come into her life at a better time, because there was nowhere left for her to fall.

Finally, Ginny began to yawn, and they realised how late it was; they were so caught up in one another that they had completely lost track of the time. It was long past curfew, so Draco insisted on walking Ginny to the Gryffindor tower. They held hands the entire way, being careful not to be caught in the hallways after curfew, but still enjoying being together. When they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, Draco turned to Ginny and gave her a passionate kiss, which Ginny returned with just as much fervour. Draco put his arms around her waist to pull her closer, and Ginny wrapped her arms around Draco’s neck for support, as her knees grew weak. Draco deepened the kiss, and Ginny responded with a slight groan of pleasure. They finally pulled apart, looked into each other’s eyes, and saw happiness in one another.

“Good night Ginevra, I will see you tomorrow.” Draco smiled and gave Ginny another quick kiss good night, and watched as she stepped through the portrait hole.

As Ginny walked through into the Gryffindor common room and heard the portrait close behind her she smiled brightly and let out a breath she had not realised she had been holding. She looked around the common room, and thankfully, no one was up, so Ginny quietly climbed the stairs to her dormitory.

Ginny climbed into bed that night and fell asleep thinking of how that had been the happiest day she had experienced in a very long time, and actually looked forward to awakening tomorrow to see another day. That evening, Ginny had not had a single thought of Harry, and the hurt and pain slowly began to drift away; for the first time in five years, Ginny felt like she could move on with her life, as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She felt free to experience the life that she had been avoiding for all those years, and was not afraid to enjoy being with someone else, because she had found someone she never could have believed was out there.

*~*~*~*~*


The sun rose at six o’clock the next morning and Ginny awoke to a gorgeous sunrise. Ginny sat on the windowsill that morning and watched the sun rise over the lake, with no thoughts intruding her reflection. She stayed in that position for quite some time, until her roommates began to stir from their sleep; Ginny decided that she would take a bath before breakfast, and left before anyone woke up.

Classes would begin that day, and Ginny was both excited and anxious to begin another year. ‘This year,’ Ginny promised herself, ‘I am going to move forward, I am going to change my life, and I am going to prove to myself that I can do this. I have already started, and with Draco’s help, I am going to succeed, I will not let my past continue to control me, fate does not control my destiny, I won’t let it, I will control my future. I am going to live, and nothing will stand in my way.’
Leave a Review