Chapter Three: Everybody’s Fool

Perfect by nature
Icons of self indulgence
Just what we all need
More lies about a world that

Never was and never will be
Have you no shame don’t you see me
You know you’ve got everybody fooled

Look here she comes now
Bow down and stare in wonder
Oh how we love you
No flaws when you’re pretending
But now I know she

Never was and never will be
You don’t know how you’ve betrayed me
And somehow you’ve got everybody fooled

Without the mask where will you hide
Can’t find yourself lost in your lie

I know the truth now
I know who you are
And I don’t love you anymore

Never was and never will be
You don’t know how you’ve betrayed me
And somehow you’ve got everybody fooled

It never was and never will be
You’re not real and you can’t save me
Somehow now you’re everybody’s fool


- Evanescence

*~*~*~*~*


At breakfast that morning, every student received their timetable for the year. Ginny would have a full course load this year, because she was taking advanced classes for every subject, and was even taking seventh year level Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts. Ginny was excited and nervous because the Gryffindors had both of these classes with the Slytherins, she loved that she would see Draco in those classes, but was slightly anxious about how the other Slytherins would react to having a sixth year Gryffindor in their class, and not only a Gryffindor, but a Weasley.

Ginny’s first class was Potions so she left breakfast early ensuring that she wouldn’t be late; she did not want to experience the wrath of Professor Snape if she was late to class on the first day. When Ginny arrived in the dark dungeon classroom, she was surprised to see Draco already there, sitting at a desk near the very back corner; her heartbeat began to race, and her knees became weak when she thought of their kiss the night before. Draco was intently reading a book and hadn’t seen Ginny come in, she checked to make sure no one else was in the room, and then quietly walked over to Draco. Ginny stood behind Draco and kissed the back of his neck, Draco shivered at her touch, he immediately knew it was Ginny when he felt her lips on his skin.

Draco turned in his chair and quickly pulled Ginny around and onto his lap. “I didn’t know you were going to be in this class. Not that I don’t want you here, I was just surprised to see you.” Draco blurted out in one quick breath, his nervousness clearly evident. ‘Oh God I sound like a bloody idiot, what is wrong with me? She is definitely something special if she has this effect on me.’

Ginny smiled at Draco’s eagerness, and leaned in to kiss him, as she slid her arms around his neck. Draco’s tongue traced her lips, seeking entrance, which Ginny granted him without the slightest hesitation. Their kiss quickly grew extremely passionate; both of them lost in the kiss, and ignoring everything around them. They did not break apart until they heard someone beside them coughing.

“I am pleased to see my students early for class but I would prefer not to see that in my classroom again. Mr. Malfoy I would not have expected this of you, I hope this will not occur again.” Snape reprimanded with a scowl on his face.

Ginny blushed wildly, utterly embarrassed, as Draco pouted because Snape had ruined a perfectly good snogging session. “It will not sir.” Draco replied. Ginny got up from Draco’s lap and Snape walked back to his desk.

Ginny sat down in the chair next to Draco as he reached for her hand. “I have been wanting to do that since you left last night.” Ginny told Draco, a light blush appearing on her cheeks.

Draco looked into her eyes and smiled. “There is something I want to ask you Ginevra,” Draco said quietly not wanting Snape eavesdropping on their conversation, “will you be my girlfriend? I mean do not feel bad if you want to say no, I would understand, I mean this is rather soon I suppose to be asking you…”

“I’d love too.” Ginny interrupted Draco’s babbling.

“Really?” Draco asked surprised at how quickly she answered.

“Yes, really.” Ginny smiled widely, trying to suppress a giggle at Draco’s stunned expression.

Just then, students began to file into the class disturbing their moment. “Meet me later, at seven o’clock.” Draco whispered into Ginny’s ear, causing her to shiver. Ginevra couldn’t help but smile as Draco gave her his trademark smirk that made her heart melt.

At that moment, Harry, Ron and Hermione came into the class, talking excitedly about their plans for their last year at Hogwart’s. As Ron sat down across the classroom, he finally saw Ginny talking to his most loathed enemy, Draco Malfoy. Not only were they talking, but they were holding hands and smiling!

“What the hell do you think you’re doing to my baby sister Malfoy?” Ron bellowed his face turning as red as his hair, as the anger rose up within him.

“I am not a baby Ron! I can do whatever I please, now stop shouting and just stay out of my love life because it is none of your business!” Ginny yelled in response, her Weasley temper becoming obvious.

“Love life? Don’t tell me you’re seeing Malfoy? You have got to be kidding me!” Ron laughed thinking that the entire situation was a complete joke.

“For you information Weasley, your sister is seeing me, in fact she’s my girlfriend.” Draco answered with a smirk, clearly enjoying how easily he was agitating Ron.

“Oh Ginny, this is great! Bloody brilliant in fact, this is the best news I have heard in a long time!” Ron smiled, shocking everyone in the classroom, especially Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Draco.

“WHAT?” They all replied in unison, with utter confusion in their voices.

“No seriously Ginny, brilliant, best thing I’ve ever heard!” Ron replied causing yet even more confusion.

Ginevra finally spoke up, “Ron would you just tell us what you are on about already?”

“What? I finally have a reason for kicking Malfoy’s ass! What could be better, I finally have the chance to kill Malfoy, and I have a great excuse!” Ron declared smugly.

Just then the bell rang indicating the beginning of class, and Professor Snape walked into the classroom. “Everyone seat yourselves this instant!” Snape commanded.

“This isn’t over Ginny.” Ron said cruelly as he took his seat.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny managed to avoid the Dream Team for the rest of the day, and was thankful when the last class of the day ended, and she was finally on her way back to Gryffindor Tower to get some well needed rest.

‘Why can’t Ron just accept my relationship with Draco? Why does he always have to ruin my happiness? Draco is what I want, why can’t he see that? Of course he wouldn’t notice that I am finally happy, he’s too preoccupied with his own life to pay any attention to my well-being.’ Ginny’s head was flooded with thoughts as she headed to her dorm; she needed to clear her mind, she needed to tell someone all of these feelings that she was suddenly experiencing.

She needed to speak with Draco, he would understand, and he would make her smile and take her mind off of things, that was what she needed most right now. ‘The only reason Ron is opposed to me being with Draco is because that means I am not in love with Harry anymore. Why is love always perfect in the movies? Every heroine always finds her true love, and they end up happily ever after. They never get hurt like I have, how can real love be so different, why can they only ever show such a fake outlook on love? Love’s not that simple and blissful, how could I have been so naïve to believe that?’

Ginny reached her dormitory a half hour later, and decided that she would take a nap before dinner, she needed to relax, and would talk to Draco later when she had sorted out some of her feelings.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny woke up with a start; she had had another dream about him, ‘Why can’t I forget him, why does Harry still have such dominance over me?’ She shook her head as if chase the thoughts away, when she suddenly realized what time it was, and quickly headed down to the Great Hall before she completely missed dinner.

Ginny reached the common room when Harry confronted her. He was the only one left in the common room and was sitting in a armchair by the fireplace watching the staircase leading to the girls’ dormitory, waiting for her to come down.

“Ginny, I think we need to talk.” Harry told her, as he stood up and moved toward her.

“Look Harry, I don’t think that there is anything we need to talk about. Now if you don’t mind, I want to get downstairs before I miss dinner.” Ginny replied bluntly as she headed for the door.

Harry quickly followed her, and grabbed her arm as she was walking through the portrait hole and roughly turned her around to face him. “When I saw you with Draco today, it made me realize something, I don’t know how I could have been so blind, I mean you were right in front of me for all these years. Ginny, I love you, and I want to be with you more than anything in the world.”

Harry had not loosened his grip on Ginevra’s arm; he did not want her to leave before she heard him out. ‘There is no way that she would ever choose that bloody Malfoy over me now, I mean she has loved me for years, yet again I will beat Malfoy, only this time he will never get over because he will be constantly reminded of it!’ Harry grinned widely, menacingly, causing Ginny to question his motives more than she already was.

“Harry, I’m sorry but you’re too late, I’m sick of waiting around for you, I’ve already given up. You have caused me so much pain, for so long, and now I’m over you, I’m moving on, I’ve found someone else. I won’t sacrifice what I have with Draco because you are suddenly jealous, he means too much to me.”

“You mean you would actually choose ferret boy over me? You have got to be joking! You love me, what could you actually see in him that would make you suddenly forget that?” Harry scoffed, stunned that Ginevra Weasley was actually rejecting him.

“Bloody hell Harry, get over yourself!”

“I won’t let him hurt you, you know better than I do, that he will! Why would I stand around and watch him rip your heart to pieces, and have you come and cry on my shoulder later anyway? You know I saw him with that slut Pansy Parkinson earlier, he’d dump you for her any day, I mean why wouldn’t he?” Harry explained arrogantly, looking Ginny in the eye.

Before Harry knew what was happening he felt a hand on his face, and an unbearable stinging, Ginny had slapped him! “You know as well as I do Potter, that Draco isn’t dumping me for Pansy, you are just jealous because the great and almighty Boy-Who-Lived isn’t getting what he wants. You are pathetic you know, just creating problems so that you can be the hero, well it doesn’t work that way!”

By now Ginny had backed away from Harry, and was looking at him with pure hatred, disgust dripping from her every word, “You don’t love me at all, you just want what you can’t have. Well I am not going to let you hurt me anymore Harry, I have suffered long enough, and I don’t love you anymore, I don’t need you anymore.”

“You want to know what really amazes me Harry?” Ginny continued her rant, “No one knows this side of you, they only know the fake, public-appeasing Harry Potter. ‘You’ve got everybody fooled,’ they all think you are sweet and innocent but I know better than that know. You’re not who I thought you were, you’re not the boy I fell in love with five years ago.”

“Ginny you are overreacting, you know you still love me, you’re just overwhelmed because you never thought that I would return that love. You would rather be with me than Malfoy, and you know it, stop denying it.” Harry had been slowly moving closer to Ginny again, and suddenly pulled her to him, and kissed her aggressively.

Ginny tried to push Harry away, but his hold on her was too strong. ‘It’s not supposed to be like this, I was supposed to savour his kiss, not loathe his touch. When I kiss Draco I feel nervous, exhilarated, but with Harry, I just can’t get him to let go of me fast enough.’

Harry pulled away from Ginevra and she immediately took the opportunity to slap him again, this time with much more force. “Do not ever come near me again Harry Potter, I’m not falling for your act any longer! Do not ever speak to me again, or you will sincerely regret it!” Ginny enunciated every syllable to make her opinion abundantly clear to Harry.

Before Harry could say another word, Ginny turned and ran as fast as she could, she did not have a destination; she just needed to get as far away from Harry as she could…

*~*~*~*~*
Leave a Review