Chapter Eight: Taking Over Me

You don’t remember me
But I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard
Not to think of you
But who can decide what they dream?
And dream I do…

I believe in you
I’ll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You’re taking over me

Have you forgotten all I know
And all we had?

You saw me mourning my love for you
And touched my hand
I knew you loved me then

I believe in you
I’ll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You’re taking over me

I look in the mirror and see your face
If I look deep enough
So many things inside that are
Just like you are taking over

I believe in you
I’ll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You’re taking over me

I believe in you
I’ll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You’re taking over me

Taking over me
You’re taking over me
Taking over me
You’re taking over me


-Evanescence

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny was sobbing hysterically, not willing to accept what had just transpired. Although her vision was blurry, Ginevra found her way to the wooden door that Draco had just exited through. ‘I won’t give up. Draco couldn’t have meant all those things he said. He’s just frightened, and he loves me too much to take me away from my family.’ She loved Draco, she needed him, and she was determined to make everything right for the two of them again.

Ginevra, had only slightly opened the door when she began to overhear a conversation taking place outside.

“Well done Draco,” Ginny the voice as none other than Lucius Malfoy, as he clapped slowly, mocking his congratulations. “I don’t believe I could have done it better myself. I am glad that you accepted my advice last night.”

‘What the hell is Lucius doing here? This cannot be a good sign, nothing good as ever occurred when Lucius Malfoy is involved.’ Ginny thought quickly not wanting to miss any of the situation.

“Shut up Lucius!” Draco snapped, matching his father’s tone. “I am not in the mood for you. You’ve had your way, so there is no other reason for you to be here.”

Ginevra could listen to no more, she had heard more than enough. She slammed the door shut, as she slid to the floor with her back it, her head in her hands, and the tears overwhelmed Ginny once again. ‘How could Draco let his father control him like that? He promised me that he would never let his father come between us, he promised me!’ He also promised that he would never hurt you Ginevra, and now look at you. Another voice in her head resounded.

These thoughts haunted Ginny as they repeated themselves constantly in her mind. She was rapidly spiralling downward into that familiar situation that she remembered far too clearly, she falling into despair, into depression. However this time it was a different feeling, not because the person she loved, ignored and resented her love, but because she was loved and was loved in return, and she had lost it all. A person who had pledged their love, had hurt her so terribly, and had literally shattered her heart and soul into millions of pieces. There were too many pieces for her heart to ever be repaired; she would yearn and desire Draco’s love forever, she would do anything to get Draco back, and would stop at nothing until she had succeeded.

*~*~*~*~*


It had been a week since Draco had broken up with her, and Ginevra did not eat, she barely slept and she had not spoken a word to anyone since that night. She kept everything inside, all of her thoughts, all of her pain, her fear, her anxiety, and even her love. Every time Ginny thought she had forgotten Draco, she would see something that reminded her of him and it all came rushing back to her, all of the sorrow, agony, resentment, and anger boiled up within her.

But all of these emotions truck something within Ginevra; they inspired her to develop a plan. Not a plan of revenge, but a way to get Draco back. She wanted him and she loved him, and even if he no longer reciprocated these sentiments, it did not matter, as long as she would end up happy, with Draco.

Ginny had not attended classes that week, but no one had come to check on her either, so she didn’t bother going. ‘No one cares about me, no one loves, they could care less whether I lived or died, for all they know I could be dead right now and it wouldn’t make the slightest difference. Draco was the first person to ever want me, or truly love me, I will get that back, I don’t care what I have to do.’

Little did anyone speculate, Ginevra was dead. She was dead inside, She had lost everything that was important to her, she had lost the only person that made her life worth living, and it had changed her profoundly, but not for the better. Ginny had become menacing, and conniving, she would confront Draco the next day, and convince him that they were meant to be together. ‘If it’s threats that Draco responds to, it’s a threat he’ll get. I will give him option that is no option, he doesn’t have it in him to disregard me, not after he hears the alternative.’

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny went to the Great Hall as soon as the sun rose the next morning. She sat down at the Gryffindor table facing the door, so that she could see every person that walked into the room.

Ginevra waited and waited for what seemed like an eternity, just sitting and staring at the entrance waiting for him to enter when Draco finally arrived in the Great Hall. Ginny watched as he looked over at the Gryffindor table and saw her sitting there.

Draco had rebuilt his barriers, Ginevra could no longer look into his eyes and determine what he was thinking, but she did know that he tore his eyes away from her quickly, not wanting to see her. “It’s exactly what I thought, he can’t look at me, he can’t bear to see what he has done to me. Draco never wanted to break up with me, he loves me and wants to be with me, he just terrified of what his father is capable of. I will talk to him today…’ She ran through her scheme once more in her mind as she watched the door yet again, only this time waiting for Draco to leave.

When Draco finally passed the Gryffindor table, Ginevra immediately stood up and followed him out of the Great Hall. Ginny reached the foyer outside and saw Draco a few metres down the corridor, and quietly rushed after him. She knew that Draco was unaware of her following him, and that was the way she wanted it to be. If she couldn’t be with him she could at least watch him; she needed to talk to him but she knew that he would avoid it at all costs, so Ginevra would settle with watching him for now.

Little did Ginny know, Draco could feel her presence close to his, but did not mind because it comforted him to know that she was near, as long as she did not attempt to speak to him there was no need for him to agonize over it.

They had walked for quite some time, content in pretending to be unaware of the other’s presence when they had reached the Slytherin corridor deep within the dark, dank, miserable dungeons. Ginny knew that Draco was headed for his dormitory and hid behind a large stone statue a few metres away, where she would wait for Draco to emerge and she would be able to see him once again.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginevra proceeded in this same monotonous fashion day after day, for two weeks until she finally could no longer restrain herself, she had to talk to him.

Ginny went to the Great Hall that morning and once again waited, anticipating Draco’s appearance that morning.

When Draco left the Great Hall after finishing his breakfast later that morning, and yet again Ginny followed him reminiscent of every day. Yet today was different, when they reached the foyer, Ginny called out to him, “Draco!”

He turned surprised at her sudden change of habit. “Yes?” Draco replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Please, don’t be like that, we need to talk.” Ginny stated unyielding in her mission.

“Fine.” Draco answered gruffly, knowing where this was headed but unable to refuse ignore the situation a moment longer. This was his opportunity to end it once and for all.

Ginny pushed him into an empty classroom just down the corridor, as she firmly shut the door behind her. Draco was standing perfectly straight, making him tower over her, as she approached him. “I want to know why we can’t be together.” Ginevra stated bluntly looking into his silver-grey eyes.

Draco huffed not wanting to rehash this again, “We’ve been through this before, it’s just too hard, there are too many factors keeping us apart, and it would never work for us to be together. There is nothing else, why can you not comprehend that?” Draco said harshly, staring at her.

“But that’s my point Draco, that can’t be it. You love me, you wouldn’t give up that easily, there has to be another reason, I know there is.”

“We’ve been through this too, even if I did love you that isn’t enough to keep us together. Our relationship is over and that is final, there is nothing left for us to discuss.”

“So you’re saying that you do love me?” Ginny asked surprised by what she had just heard.

“I never said that.” Draco replied assertively. “Just because you say things, it doesn’t make them true.”

‘I know he’s lying, I can see it in his eyes; when he gets frustrated he lets his guard down. I think I may have found his second downfall, his first being me.’ Ginny had closed her eyes trying to gather her composure, ‘This is going better than I had expected.’

Ginny was not getting through to Draco, so there was no other option than to give him an ultimatum. “I know you love me Draco, you cannot deny it; we have something special, if you would just admit it to yourself. You are the only reason for me to live, and if we can’t be together, then this is goodbye Draco, because there is nothing keeping me in this life.” Ginny said as she watched the shocked expression appear on Draco’s face. ‘There is no possibility that he will ever reject me now. He wants to be with me, and this will convince with him to stay with me.’

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Draco retorted, looking at her with sheer disbelief. “I never loved you, why in Merlin’s name would you ever kill yourself for me? The only thing the we ever ‘had’ was a good time, I mean we were great in bed, but there was never anything more between us.” He continued as he watched Ginevra’s face fall.

Her eyes welled up with tears as each of Draco’s words stung her. ‘How can be saying that, when he knows it isn’t true? He loved me, I’m sure of it…’

Draco was looking at the floor, for he knew if he saw her face or looked into her eyes, he could not keep us his façade a moment longer. But it was inevitable, when he heard Ginevra sob he instinctively looked into her eyes searching for the source of her distress. He didn’t need to look into her eyes to know that he was the one responsible for torturing her soul, but once he saw it for himself he could not neglect the guilt that was tearing him apart for causing her so much agony.

Without thinking, Draco walked over to Ginny. She looked down at the floor not able to look at him any more. He grasped her hand in his, which caused Ginevra to look up at him. He gave her a slight reassuring smile, as she began to lean in to kiss him.

Draco pulled away roughly knowing that once he felt her lips on his that he would surrender and tell her everything. He could not let that happen, he had sworn to himself that he would protect her, and he would save her if he could.

Draco rushed out of the room not looking at her again; he would not allow himself the opportunity to concede, he was certain that if she only knew why he was doing this it would be so much simpler.

*~*~*~*~*


Draco was not aware of it, but he had already conceded defeat, now that Ginevra knew in her heart that he still loved her, and cared for her, she would not let down. She would force her way back into his life, if only to convince him of how much he needed her there.

Fate had brought them together and life had intervened, but life is unpredictable and full of uncertainty. At this point Draco was the only uncertainty that Ginny felt was keeping them separated and she was willing to hold onto that uncertainty until it was guaranteed that fate was back on course.

*~*~*~*~*
Leave a Review