"GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME, DRACO!" Ginny screamed. "I mean it!"

"Gin, I love you. But it would be fantastic if you didn't act like such an OLD HAG ALL THE TIME!" Draco countered.

"Well, excuse me," she began icily. "Forgive me for not bowing down to you like the rest of the world. Apparently, the rest of the world is totally BLIND to what you truly are."

"Don't act like a child. Actually, a child would be a little more mature right now."

She spun on her heel and exited the large parlor. She went right up the staircase to their room. The room she'd shared with that man for the past year. Since the incident with Qayin had done what most disasters do; it had brought her and Draco closer together. They had made up and moved in together. It was obvious that they were on their way to an engagement, wedding, and all the other things happy people do.

But it was never simple with them. With the moving, there was consolidation. She found his place to be overbearing and stifling. He thought her belongings were too eclectic (his polite way of saying disgusting and odd). She had come home to find all of her things in storage. They had proceeded to have their biggest fight since getting back together. She had stayed with Luna for two nights afterwards. He had Flooed nonstop and sent flowers every hour.

Not that any of that worked. She had done a lot of growing up when she was alone. She wasn’t about to become one of those girls who overlooked their significant other’s flaws; she wasn’t a doormat. So he had groveled. She also didn’t put up with overgrown third years. Finally, he had asked her to sit down with him and really talk about their issues. He had agreed to learn to share his space. And he had forced her to agree to try to have better taste in furniture.

So, they lived in (relative) harmony. It started to feel like a chore to be together. They had the same routine: breakfast, work, dinner, read their respective books, cuddle, and sleep. Repeat. Every day. Every week. For an endless number of months. She wasn’t satisfied. And she knew he wasn’t either.

The only time there was ever anything different was when she would go to have her scars checked. As predicted, they had healed as thick, knotted scars. They ran along her entire back; a network of pain and sadness. Each time she turned, she felt the tight skin shift. It didn’t always hurt, but every so often it was unbearable. Dark magic had a habit of flaring up. It made her angry, and during those times she knew she was unbearable to deal with. Draco, not surprisingly, didn’t like to put up with her then.

Their reuniting didn’t mean their personalities stopped clashing. The fighting didn’t cease the moment she woke up in St. Mungo’s.

Now, they were fighting about… something. She didn’t know how exactly it had started. Her mother had definitely played a role—always questioning when they would marry. It wasn’t as if they hadn’t discussed it. Marriage was just something they didn’t view as necessary. They didn’t have to be tied to each other all the time. They were allowed to have their own liv... that was what they were arguing about, she suddenly recalled. Draco had gotten into the habit of supposedly working late. Not every night but at least twice a week. One night, she had decided to bring him something to eat.

She had reached his office to find the lights out and the door locked. She had immediately gone back home to see if they had just missed each other, but he wasn’t there either. Ginny fell into a chair in the library. Sitting there for what felt like hours, she wondered how she had gotten here. It was obvious that something was amiss. Draco wasn’t happy with her; he had found someone to make him feel that way.

Draco entered the library around ten that night and looked shocked to see her sitting there calmly.

“No book, Gin? Breaking the routine?” he joked.

“Why bother reading when my life has apparently become so much more dramatic?”

He looked perplexed. “Pardon?”

“Pardon you? Yes! I will pardon you if you explain why you weren’t at your office!”

“I was there, Gin. What are you on about?” Draco pulled at his collar nervously.

“I never took you for a liar,” Ginny told him quietly. “I thought that was one thing I always said I hated. I hate them.”

“Before you get upset, I want to explain. Tonight, I wasn’t at my office. That’s true. I swear I have been the rest of the time though.”

“You’re only confessing because I caught you! What the hell is going on? I feel like I don’t know you anymore. I know you aren’t happy…”

“That’s not true,” he said. “I am hap..."

“Neither am I,” Ginny interrupted. “We obviously can’t continue the way we are now.”

“You’re right,” he agreed. “We can’t continue to be like this. I think it’s obvious we need to change our arrangements.”

“If you think that’s the best way to do it. I’ll pack my bags now,” she began crisply, “and be out of here within an hour.”

“Don’t,” he said, grabbing her arm.


And the yelling match had followed. That led Ginny to where she was now. Sitting on the bed with absolutely nothing packed. Not wanting to leave, and not knowing where she would go. Her life had, again, become so intertwined with his. She had never wanted to be the type of woman who relied on a man for happiness. But was she strong enough to handle losing him again? Apparently, he would be just fine without her.

There was a soft knock at the door.

“Gin, can I come in?” Draco asked quietly. He cracked open the door and peeked in.

“If you must. I may need longer than an hour, so I’m sorry the room isn’t empty yet.”

“You’re not really going. I don’t believe that for a second. And neither do you.”

“Draco Lucius Malfoy, do not think you know what I believe. I know that I am leaving.”

“Just stop it!” he yelled, looking slightly lost. Draco never looked as out of control as he did now. “Sit down and listen to me.”

Tossing a defiant glare in his direction, Ginny wordlessly sat. He stood in front of her, reaching for her hands; she stubbornly sat on them.

Sighing, he said, “Please. I didn’t tell you where I was going tonight because I wasn’t sure of it myself. I had intended to work late, but I felt so restless. Something isn’t right between us, and I didn’t know what it was. I do now.”

Ginny could see it now. Some young girl who had just been hired by his company. Long hours and close proximity.

“There isn’t someone else, Gin,” he answered her unasked question. “I think… we just need a change. This country is killing us. I see you cringe each time we make love. I know you hate those scars. But I love you, and I don’t care about them. I don’t even see them. And I’m not just saying that to make you feel better. Love, don’t you think I’m more the type to be brutally honest?”

“Yes. I know.”

“Britain isn’t for us anymore. Especially not this town. Let’s go somewhere.”

“Where would we even go? What about your job? And mine? I haven’t even been back a year. I can’t just ask for an undefined amount of time off.”

“Then leave completely. I have enough money for us to leave for as long as we want.”

“I’m not relying on you for this. I won’t do that.”

“I’m not asking you to let me support you. I’m asking you to just say yes. We can get marri—“

“We aren’t getting married just so we can take a holiday, Draco.”

“We won’t get married yet. Payment can be discussed later. Just tell me you’ll come with me.” He grabbed her hand and sat next to her. His face, for once, was easy to read. He was so excited by the idea.

“I don’t know,” Ginny trailed off. But she did know—she knew she wanted to go. She knew they needed to leave. “All right. Let’s go.”

“You mean it? I swear, Gin, this is what we need. Anywhere you want to go? America, Brazil, even Antarctica. Well, my skin would dry out, so not there.”

Ginny laughed. “We wouldn’t want that now. You’re right, though. We’re dying here. I don’t want that for us.”

“Me neither. Because…I don’t think I could stand to live without you again.”

She had expected him to look like he was choking on those words. Sentiment was never Draco’s strongpoint. But he looked completely sincere.

“Good. Especially since I don’t think I’d be very well off without you either. Even if you are a giant prat.”

Smiling, Draco slung his arm around Ginny’s shoulders. He pulled her against his chest. She, in turn, wound her arms around his waist and leaned her head against him. Neither of them spoke. Neither moved. And neither of them could think of a better place to be at that moment.

Author notes: Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the reviews and all the reads! I'd love to hear feedback on the chapter, story, and the whole series! And don't forget about my need for a beta!

The End.
BlackRaven is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked You and Me also liked 1116 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Something to Believe In. The previous story in the series is Reach Out and Touch Faith.
Leave a Review